• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2012 Sales Results [Up4: Max Payne 3, Dragon's Dogma, Ghost Recon]

mooreupp

I unfortunately do not think next generation is going to help much. It will boost things some things of course, but I doubt its sustained in the way people expect/hope and doubt its going to quickly make anyone back the millions in research.

Look at the handhelds, the Vita is at risk of being stillborn and the 3DS, even with games and a better price now, is not seeming to pick up.

test_account

XP-39C²
The 3DS looks like Nintendo's answer to the PS3, in terms of popularity of the predecessing system. Only time will tell if it can turn around.

Relative to budget I can't imagine 300-400K Japanese sales means much.
The game is more pricey in Japan though. Converted, it cost about $100. It has sold ~420k copies so far, so tha is ~40 million dollars. Obviously this isnt pure profit (stores get their share too,), but i think that this game will minimum break even at least.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They had 1.5 million @ target

It will reach 500k in Japan.

1 million in Europe and NA ? Doubt it but will be close if it has legs

Yeah, but that was almost an assured lost when the game had a 150 person core development team and a four year development cycle.

To put this in prospective, Resident Evil 6 has the same core development team size.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm always getting teary eyed when a fad is over. I hope the next one can give us even less control for even more money.

StevieP

Banned
Cheap 360 or PS3 super-slim consoles required.

And it may not be as feasible as it was last gen (and certainly next gen this facet will become worse).

Re-read my post:
StevieP said:
You try telling that to the console manufacturers.

"Hey guys... we, um... can't really shrink the chips anymore without significant investment. So if you want to lower the price, we have to give up profitability at this point".

"Well... that sucks. Hey, what about a subscription model like cell phones?"

Raide

If they can get the 360 to 99, that should help them coast though this year, Halo 4 will bump it as well and hopefully they can float along till E3 2013 where they announce 720 for a Winter 2013 launch. Perfect!

People are waiting for 2 things

1. A price drop on everything save maybe the 3DS.

2. The next gen consoles to arrive. Nearly everyone can feel that next year is the year, so it makes it harder to sell current gen.

Grecco

Microsoft has been making money on the 360 for a while know iirc. I dont see what a 50 dollar price cut would do to hurt profitability. If anything it might help get more XBL subscriptions.

Yeesh. Every month is a bad month these days. 2012 is going to end up as a pretty bad year, especially with the holiday season seeming so sparse, with only three huge releases. Those three are pretty massive though (AC3, Halo 4, Black Ops 2) so maybe they can make up for it.

They aren't thrilled with the Vita, either, but your point is valid.

Not sure why you felt the need to point out the Vita, but I didn't, because America hasn't heard about the Vita yet. When it finally releases here it's going to do great...wait what's that? Ohhh. Carry on.

Pranay

Yeah, but that was almost an assured lost when the game had a 150 person core development team and a four year development cycle.

To put this in prospective, Resident Evil 6 has the same core development team size.

Well that true as well.

Speaking of Resident Evil , err i wonder how the hell did RE : Orc do sood in this market o_O ?

I hope we get the numbers of max payne 3

I can see either Sony or MS maybe rushing to the market early 2013 at this rate. It's time for new systems, everyone that wants one already has one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ugly, ugly numbers.

Nintendo's absence is no one's fault but their own. It's like they completely stop working on games for the old console once they start working on the new console, and it leaves like a year and a half of almost no games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I swear this isn't a port wishing thing, but I already thought it likely that Capcom would port over Dragon's Dogma to Wii U. Now I think it is even more likely.

Anth0ny

woooooooooooow

how the fuck is this gen going to last until holiday 2013? Christ.

Cool to see Diablo 3 at number 1. The numbers including digital sales must be ridiculous.

The 3DS could be doing better but compared to where they were last year, its not horrible by any means but one thing they have going is NSMB2 which will help a lot. The Vita on the other hand at this point is just a massive failure until Sony decides to get serious which they have shown no intention of doing.

Petrae

Not sure why you felt the need to point out the Vita, but I didn't, because America hasn't heard about the Vita yet. When it finally releases here it's going to do great...wait what's that? Ohhh. Carry on.

The point is that neither handheld is capturing the US market. 3DS sales have gone south, while the Vita never got started. Mobile is starting to gnaw at handheld numbers, and this trend won't change significantly in the months to come.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not surprising to see the drop, wonder how bad the rest did.

It's going to be an ugly summer.

muu

Japan is a small market.

It may still be 20-25% of the world's gaming market in terms of sales volume, but back when people were talking down Japan the yen was much weaker making the market less relevant. With the way exchange rates are going Japan's probably far more important now than before. The $60US games are 7000~8000 yen (=~$85-$100), the $40 portable games are 4800~6800yen (~$60-$80). Suddenly that small market becomes a lot more important to control.

Might just lose a bunch of people to disinterest.

Honestly, could be hurting the long-term viability of future generations by making this one last too long.

Despite its E3 showing, this market is wide open for Nintendo to take back control this holiday. They have the 3DS software lineup to do it, and a new box thing that plays Rayman and 50 Mario titles I hear.

Petrae

Software must be very low... didn't Prototype do just over 200k last month?

Second month and it's still fourth... ugh.

Console software is very low, compared to a year ago. Max Payne 3 wasn't the performer that we all expected.

awaiken

Banned
The market has completely collapsed.

Ouch! at Dragon's Bomba.

It should bother any gamer that solid new IPs aren't rewarded with sales. Gamers are the reason the same unambitious games are peddled to us ever year from the same franchises. Dragon's Dogma > your lame pun

B.O.O.M

Not sure what you guys are asking for a new console for? They just need to cut the price and they will be good to go for a while for sure. I'm sure at this point they are waiting to see how much WiiU is going to cost before doing so

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I swear this isn't a port wishing thing, but I already thought it likely that Capcom would port over Dragon's Dogma to Wii U. Now I think it is even more likely.

Reasoned platform port arguments aren't considered port begging, so arguing that a port should happen to recoup costs isn't considered port begging.

Alebrije

New hardware is needed now! Come on Sega.

: (

18876-78578-dreamcast2gamesjpg-550x.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You try telling that to the console manufacturers.

"Hey guys... we, um... can't really shrink the chips anymore without significant investment. So if you want to lower the price, we have to give up profitability at this point".

"Well... that sucks. Hey, what about a subscription model like cell phones?"

How bout, "well um, the chip sizes can't shrink anymore but our sales sure are" I think all the consoles have basically hit most of the people they're going to hit at the current pricing. Maybe they're happy with 100K every month but we're hitting a point that the only thing thats going to push new hardware sales is going to be a price drop. I'm not sure a new game will do much.

Pooya

top 10 U.S. console game titles including: “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier,” “Max Payne 3,” Prototype 2,” “Sniper Elite V2,” “NBA 2K12” and “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.”

going by previous months, I think MS lists titles by rank, so I think GRFS 360 is probably higher than MP3 360?

Top Bottom