• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

GavinGT

Banned
Sony are in great shape for PS4. R&D this time around will be much less - no bluray delay, no issues with yields, no complex CELL (hopefully). They have some decent tools now and they'll carry across to PS4 nicely as there isn't anything major tech wise coming, just faster and more. And they have a great set of first/second party teams producing great exclusive content.

The only pain for them is they'll likely have to cut short the PS3 generation to get PS4 out in a similar timeframe to Nintendo/MS. So that might reduce their expected lifetime volumes of PS3.

Just because they won't repeat the mistakes of the PS3 (says you), doesn't mean they won't make entirely new mistakes.

And it's hard to deny that they've lost mindshare this generation.

It is a shame that the best Halo since Halo didn't crack the top 10.

10 year remake or not, I would have thought it would do a million. It's Halo.

On that note, I think we can pin Microsoft's reversal of fortune with the 360 to the decision to kick Bungie to the curb.

Just because they won't repeat the mistakes of the PS3 (says you), doesn't mean they won't make entirely new mistakes.

And it's hard to deny that they've lost mindshare this generation.

I'm beginning to think mindshare doesn't mean anything in this industry.

Nintendo went from nothing to top dog, and back to 3rd in the span of a generation. MS went from afterthought, to core console of choice, to top dog.

If you've got the games that tickle the masses fancy you've got the potential for success. And what tickles them seems to change by the year.

guek

Banned
If you've got the games that tickle the masses fancy you've got the potential for success. And what tickles them seems to change by the year.

Bingo bango. I do think branding and mindshare matters, but it's all fleeting if you don't keep up the momentum.

Nintendo went from nothing to top dog, and back to 3rd in the span of a generation. MS went from afterthought, to core console of choice, to top dog.

I agree with this. I think everything boils down to marketing and having the stable of not THE BEST games, but the ones most appealing to the mainstream. Not that I'm implying anything, most of the games that the masses love are good.

Polo67

on military bases for black friday they were selling 360's for $99 USD... they had some awesome deals this year

does that factor in

1billion RROD loss
Kinect marketing 500million loss

all the chitter chatter around this: still; the console ... yeah Even if MS has deep pockets; they still need to convince shareholders that it is a wise spend.

that said; there isn't any question both ps4/x3 is coming. I'm happy to jump in for both. Nintendo's lost me completely.

They profited well over a billion dollars last year. They didn't "lose" any money marketing Kinect.

And their shareholders don't have to be convinced of a single thing unless by shareholders you mean Gates and Ballmer.

Go look through the NPD archives, other than band/guitar games turning into dance games, nothing has really changed at all.

Dreaver

Great to see Uncharted and Saints Row chart. Haven´t played them yet, but I was afraid Saints Row 3 would bomb )and I loved 2).

Microsoft is beasting. They're really doing great. The Xbox 360 is a pretty damn good console with a huge game library.

unomas

Banned
I've sold hundreds of x360 the last couple of weeks (Europe), and literally 90%.was a Kinect bundle. No one buys the games, except Sports here and there. They only buy the start pack which now contains three games.

Many, many have been parents buying to their kids who are tired of Wii. I've set up a Kinect in the (general electronics) store and it's insane how many parents are impulsive buying it. "it's good for the kids, this way they also get excercise!"

Here is to hoping the next Kinect is much better, but we'll see. I bought it at launch but quickly got rid of it as it was too boring and not accurate enough. If they can make it more responsive and accurate I'm sure it will be more than a menu navigation device.

I'm not gonna read the whole thread, but the 700k Uncharted 3 numbers do not include the HW bundles, is that correct?

Also, do we know if the PSP has sold over 100k for the month?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Not at all.

Nintendo saved MS this gen.

They showed the market to MS and then they passed , as well as Sony, to acquire the 3D camera. MS is in the position it is now to some extent by luck.

oh, for fuck's sake... not this shit again.

on military bases for black friday they were selling 360's for $99 USD... they had some awesome deals this year
We should take this into consideration. 360 could be considered the cheapest console in Black Friday. I don-t understand how could MS go with such low prices. For example there was a bundle with 2 games and a 50 gift card for 200. Then you had a Wii bundles with 1 0r 2 games for 150. Basically almost the same price.

How could MS be turning a profit with a 200 system, 2 games and a 50 gift card?

Plus the heavy dough in promotion they roll at retailers.

I'm not gonna read the whole thread, but the 700k Uncharted 3 numbers do not include the HW bundles, is that correct?

Also, do we know if the PSP has sold over 100k for the month?

We havent known PSP numbers in years. Sony, somehow, is able to convince what is supposedly an independent organization to not release them.

Nintendo saved MS this gen.

They showed the market to MS and then they passed , as well as Sony, to acquire the 3D camera. MS is in the position it is now to some extent by luck.
oh, for fuck's sake... not this shit again.
At least take the time to form an statement Gadfly, because it is how things turned out to some extent.

TheNatural

My Member!
I wonder how some of the other releases did, the lower "priority" ones. Sonic, Rayman, Halo HD, Need for Speed, UMvC3, Rocksmith, to name a few.

GavinGT

Banned
We should take this into consideration. 360 could be considered the cheapest console in Black Friday. I don-t understand how could MS go with such low prices. For example there was a bundle with 2 games and a 50 gift card for 200. Then you had a Wii bundles with 1 0r 2 games for 150. Basically almost the same price.

I think $199 for the 4 GB slim + Kinect + $50 gift card was a more impressive offer.

But to respond: The $50 gift card does not come out of Microsoft's pocket. Games are essentially free to manufacture. Besides, 360s are cheap as hell to make at this stage.

Where did that bundle come with a $50 gift card?

Wii's were available with or without a pack-in game for $99 on Black Friday.

Mrbob

I look at those 360 numbers, and think 2012 would be a perfect time for the next xbox to launch. X360 will be at its peak of sales in the next 12 months, so get the successor out before things slow down too much.

2013 will be alright too. It won't take much time for the next xbox to catch up and surpass the wii u usebase. MS will have the most wanted system heading into next gen. The only thing that can stop it is if the Kinect bubble bursts. However "next gen" Kinect might have the affect of adding getting more people interested in the system.

I think $199 for the 4 GB slim + Kinect + $50 gift card was a more impressive offer.

But to respond: The $50 gift card does not come out of Microsoft's pocket. Games are essentially free to manufacture. Besides, 360s are cheap as hell to make at this stage.
Are you serious such bundle existed? How do you cut some profits in a bundle like that. As for the gift card the money has to come around from somewhere even if its a small amount. You incentivate consumers with the gift card but you also end up not perceivng money from the products the consumer acquires with the offer. Maybe someone with know how could explain exactly how it works.

A 360 might be cheap to make but how cheap exactly? So Nintendo should be making a killing with a 150 Wii then, maybe matching net revenew from consoles sales to the 360.

GavinGT

Banned
Are you serious such bundle existed? How do you cut some profits in a bundle like that. As for the gift card the money has to come around from somewhere even if its a small amount. You incentivate consumers with the gift card but you also end up not perceivng money from the products the consumer acquires with the offer. Maybe someone with know how could explain exactly how it works.

A 360 might be cheap to make but how cheap exactly? So Nintendo should be making a killing with a 150 Wii then, maybe matching net revenew from consoles sales to the 360.

Walmart is glad to give away gift cards because:

a) many people never even redeem them

b) when they are redeemed, it brings more people into their store to buy other things

Besides, these bundles were in limited supply. This gets people coming in well after supplies are exhausted. When they find there are no more bundles they tend to spend their money there anyways, just on something else.

As for manufacturing costs, they're going down all the time. I imagine it doesn't cost Microsoft more than $80 to manufacture a 360 these days.

onipex

Yeah people go where the games are and the Wii hasn't been getting games for a long time. Its hard to believe that people still buy it at the numbers they do now.

I love when people follow up "860k" with "sales are collapsing, Wii is dead"

yeah, it's hilarious, expecially considering that November has been a monster month, software wise, for evey other console. PS3 and 360 had MW3, Skyrim, Uncharted, Arkham City, AssCreed, all guaranteed million sellers, and all kinds of deals, cuts, offers, bundles. Nintendo had Skyward Sword and JD3 period. I honestly didn't expect it to sell this well

Mooreberg

Uncharted 3's position relative to the multiplatform stuff is what I expected. I wonder what the breakdown would look like on SKUs. I am surprised it didn't match God of War III though. It seems like the best marketing for a PS3 game at this point is having had a big predecessor on PS2. God of War III didn't have anything resembling co-op or MP but it was the biggest game of a crowded March 2010.

LOCK

Lessons learned so far from this NPD report!
1. Cheaper=more sales
2. A universal $99 Wii would sell millions.
3. New gamers brought in with the Wii generation, seem to be upgrading!
4. Mario sells handhelds. Boatloads.

Things I expect in Decembers NPD:
The top 10 probably won't change except for the addition of Mario Kart and SM3DL, which means goodbye Batman and probably Saints Row 3.

Wii to sell 2mil, while the 360 makes a new personal record again.

The 3DS will sell over 2mil.

Everything else should be as expected.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Uncharted 3's position relative to the multiplatform stuff is what I expected. I wonder what the breakdown would look like on SKUs. I am surprised it didn't match God of War III though. It seems like the best marketing for a PS3 game at this point is having had a big predecessor on PS2. God of War III didn't have anything resembling co-op or MP but it was the biggest game of a crowded March 2010.

it also did not have much competition. it is clear as say that this years release schedule is packed with quality. I barely have time to play all the games I want myself (in fact, I don 't).

Mooreberg

Lessons learned so far from this NPD report!
1. Cheaper=more sales
It is kind of interesting though that Sony and Microsoft more or less ignored how much the Wii was selling for so long and did very little to compete with it on the price front. I can't really recall a situation where there was so little price competition. PS2 was in a similar situation of sales dominance last gen and Xbox and Gamecube always got price drops around the same time. I'm guessing Microsoft realized the Wii's success wasn't going to cost them many games because the hardware was too old for what a lot of developers are/were doing.

3DS has done more than gotten back on track. Its doing amazing.

No it's not. Nintendo's first year target is 16m WW, and they might crawl past that mark, but only after cutting the price in half causing them to sell at a loss. That's not good, and it's not trolling to say so. The 3DS certainly hasn't knocked Nintendo out, but it definitely gave them a bloody nose.

People have to realize that there's a large gradient between doing phenomenally well and being a complete disaster. We also have to take into consideration that 3DS is following two of the most successful consoles in history, with access to a library of franchises that are unmatched by any other publisher. In a vacuum, 3DS sales might be really good, but sales are meaningless without context. Since 2006, Nintendo's context has been overwhelming, awe-inspiring success. With the 3DS launch and the latter years of the Wii, they've stumbled severely.

RedStep

As mentioned, there were much cheaper Wii deals out there.

Also, the "main" deals (Walmart's $50 gift card was a limited one) were:

$200 - PS3 160gb w/ 2 games (LBP2:SE & Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One)
$200 - Xbox 4gb w/ 2 games (Halo: Reach & Fable III)
$200 - Xbox 4gb w/ Kinect

I would say that they were all on the same "purchase" level (a consumer drops $200), but the PS3 one actually includes more stuff (a hard drive and BR player, primarily). The continued "this is why it sold" is bullshit. It sold because it's what people want right now, and it will continue to do so regardless of price.

No it's not. Nintendo's first year target is 16m WW, and they might crawl past that mark, but only after cutting the price in half causing them to sell at a loss. That's not good, and it's not trolling to say so. The 3DS certainly hasn't knocked Nintendo out, but it definitely gave them a bloody nose.

People have to realize that there's a large gradient between doing phenomenally well and being a complete disaster. We also have to take into consideration that 3DS is following two of the most successful consoles in history, with access to a library of franchises that are unmatched by any other publisher. In a vacuum, 3DS sales might be really good, but sales are meaningless without context. Since 2006, Nintendo's context has been overwhelming, awe-inspiring success. With the 3DS launch and the latter years of the Wii, they've stumbled severely.

So, the 3DS isn't doing well... because Nintendo decided to fix their strategy rather than just plowing into a wall?
Huh.

Mooreberg

it also did not have much competition. it is clear as say that this years release schedule is packed with quality. I barely have time to play all the games I want myself (in fact, I don 't).
There was FFXIII and Bad Company 2, but yeah BF3 is much bigger than any game in the series before it. It is a good increase over UC2's first month if nothing else. It'll be interesting to see if it has a good tail or if Sony's marketing moves on completely to Vita and the 2012 games.

Levyne

Banned
So, the 3DS isn't doing well... because Nintendo decided to fix their strategy rather than just plowing into a wall?
Huh.

I think he's saying it's not so much as a movement of the demand curve up, but rather an increase in the quantity demanded due to a lower price on the same subpar demand curve.

guek

Banned

But often times, past mistakes can be corrected. No, the 3DS did not have the best year. Yes, the price reduction hurt Nintendo. But as you said, there are varying degrees of success and failure to be found in all of this. I don't think saying the 3DS is back on track is an unfair statement. It's doing acceptably...for now. How is it doing compared to its predecessor? Well it's tracking better, but that doesn't really ensure anything. We can't go all disco stu and project a similar exponential curve like there was with the DS.

I think it is pretty safe to say though that the 3DS is no longer an unmitigated disaster. It's been very well...mitigated.

I think he's saying it's not so much as a movement of the demand curve up, but rather an increase in the quantity demanded due to a lower price on the same subpar demand curve.

If demand goes up permanently to acceptable levels, it is no longer subpar. Lowering the price definitely increased the demand at present. Now it's just a matter of seeing how long that momentum lasts.

Top Bottom