• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

I think he's saying it's not so much as a movement of the demand curve up, but rather an increase in the quantity demanded due to a lower price on the same subpar demand curve.

And now I want a 10 page essay on why this is both wrong and right.

Levyne

Banned
And now I want a 10 page essay on why this is both wrong and right.

I...don't get what you mean.

Being able to turn around sale due to changing the image of the product wouldv'e been favorable to simply selling more units due to pack ins, price cut, and gift cards, though both are favorable to simply not selling units at a price few were willing to spend, no ones arguing that.

I expect 3DS to have a huge december

BurntPork

Banned
The top 10 probably won't change except for the addition of Mario Kart and SM3DL, which means goodbye Batman and probably Saints Row 3.

Wii to sell 2mil, while the 360 makes a new personal record again.

The 3DS will sell over 2mil.

Everything else should be as expected.

... No.

LOCK

It is kind of interesting though that Sony and Microsoft more or less ignored how much the Wii was selling for so long and did very little to compete with it on the price front. I can't really recall a situation where there was so little price competition. PS2 was in a similar situation of sales dominance last gen and Xbox and Gamecube always got price drops around the same time. I'm guessing Microsoft realized the Wii's success wasn't going to cost them many games because the hardware was too old for what a lot of developers are/were doing.
Hopefully they relaized that they couldn't compete with the Wii and its phenomenal sales. If they had, then 1) they would have lost a lot of money, 2) wouldn't matter anyway since the Wii was in that must have item stage.
No it's not. Nintendo's first year target is 16m WW, and they might crawl past that mark, but only after cutting the price in half causing them to sell at a loss. That's not good, and it's not trolling to say so. The 3DS certainly hasn't knocked Nintendo out, but it definitely gave them a bloody nose.

People have to realize that there's a large gradient between doing phenomenally well and being a complete disaster. We also have to take into consideration that 3DS is following two of the most successful consoles in history, with access to a library of franchises that are unmatched by any other publisher. In a vacuum, 3DS sales might be really good, but sales are meaningless without context. Since 2006, Nintendo's context has been overwhelming, awe-inspiring success. With the 3DS launch and the latter years of the Wii, they've stumbled severely.

True, but these November numbers are amazing for a first holiday handheld. All of the other months have been disappointing, but November is showing that the 3DS is probably back on Nintendo's sales track, even if a price cut was needed.

This probably won't bode well for the Vita...

Pooya

Ubisoft said:
-For November, Ubisoft is the only publisher with two games in NPD’s top five list of best-selling games: Assassin’s Creed Revelations (No. 4) and Just Dance 3 (No. 5).

-Sales of Assassin’s Creed Revelations are up year over year to its predecessor Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (Nov. 2010) by 10 percent.

-Just Dance 3 continues to garner excellent sales momentum on the Nintendo Wii system. Just Dance 3 was the No. 1 Wii game for the month of November.

-The Just Dance franchise has produced the No. 1 Wii game for the past 13 of 14 months of NPD reports (Just Dance 3 twice, Just Dance 2 ten times, Just Dance Summer Party once).

-Dance fever continues to captivate America. As of today’s NPD report, Ubisoft has 72 percent market share among dance video games for calendar year 2011 with its recent dance game releases of ABBA You Can Dance, The Black Eyed Peas Experience, Just Dance 3 and Just Dance Kids 2.

November 2010:
4.Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360) UBISOFT ~ 718K
7.Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3) UBISOFT ~ 425K

1143k x 1.1 = 1257k Assassin's creed Revelations

I would say that they were all on the same "purchase" level (a consumer drops $200), but the PS3 one actually includes more stuff (a hard drive and BR player, primarily). The continued "this is why it sold" is bullshit. It sold because it's what people want right now, and it will continue to do so regardless of price.
That PS3 deal, along with the 200 360 Kinect bundle, blows my mind.

About the "this is why it sold is bullshit. im just curious that's all. For example, even if i wasn't interested in Kinect, i couldn't past a 200 bundle, its too gcheap of a price point. But what im getting at, how exactly Sony and MS are making money out of those 200 bundles? If they are indeed making a profit.... well for me that's just incredible , then i put it into perspective of the amount of cash Nintendo most have been doing out of Wii all this years and how they have been in the red recently. So amazing even with the R&D for WiiU and the 3DS price cut to see Nintendo bleeding if they were making such a killing with the Wii, again, parting from the perspective of MS or Sony making some cash in a 200 bundle.

-The Just Dance franchise has produced the No. 1 Wii game for the past 13 of 14 months of NPD reports (Just Dance 3 twice, Just Dance 2 ten times, Just Dance Summer Party once).
How utterly depressing.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think he's saying it's not so much as a movement of the demand curve up, but rather an increase in the quantity demanded due to a lower price on the same subpar demand curve.

Welcome to the grand flaw in all videogame console sales threads. In the end, it really doesn't matter how many of the systems are sold. If Sony dropped the PS3 to $50, they may easily rule the next two years of videogame sales and "win the war."

It's about business though, and Microsoft is just now starting to get out of the huge hole that getting into this business with the XBox losses had them in. They're probably a little in the black by now overall at this point. Sony has burned completely through all it's PSX and PS2 level profits with the PS3, and is just now starting to get on even keel again. Both Microsoft and Sony over all their years of hard work, are probably marginally in the black overall in the videogame industry.

Nintendo is the only company to make a substantial amount of money in the videogame industry overall. But then again, going with that makes all these threads boring since there's no fun discussion of who is or isn't getting owned or doomed when there's only one company that runs itself like an actual business instead of a division of a larger company with different motives (owning the living room and integration and whatever else buzzwords they like to throw around.)

Mooreberg

Hopefully they relaized that they couldn't compete with the Wii and its phenomenal sales. If they had, then 1) they would have lost a lot of money, 2) wouldn't matter anyway since the Wii was in that must have item stage.
Yeah either that or they were already happy with the slice they were getting off of third party software sales. I still think a lot of the franchises Sony debuted in the first year or two of the PS3 would be better off now if the hardware pricing had been better. Uncharted seems like the only one that grew along with the install base. Whatever number of people played MotorStorm and Resistance in the first place seem to have moved on to the more popular third party franchises. Maybe UC2 being the first big exclusive after the $299 drop is what helped so much.

But whwat im getting at at the bottom is how exactly Sony and MS are making money out of those 200 bundles. If they are indeed making a profit....

I'm not sure they are on those deals. Even so, sometimes it's worth taking a small loss (or breaking even) just to stop your competitor selling more. Certain times of year a customer is going to buy a machine no matter what... better to make it your machine on the hope of a few software / movie / whatever sales in the future.

jman2050

I'm not exactly knowledgeable on retailer economics, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do we know the difference between a sale where the retailer takes the hit and one where the manufacturer does? Speaking about stuff like the $99 Walmart Wii and the $199 Xbox bundles and the like?

LOCK

Yes....

The Wii and 3DS will have the normal increases from Nov->Dec. Because of that MK7 and SM3DL should chart in the top 10. It is clear from SM3DL sales numbers that it is driving hardware sales, and the same is expected of MK7.

Not to mention that Dec. is Nintendo month duh.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable on retailer economics, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do we know the difference between a sale where the retailer takes the hit and one where the manufacturer does? Speaking about stuff like the $99 Walmart Wii and the $199 Xbox bundles and the like?
Most Black Friday ads are retailers taking a hit on big items.
They do this to get you into the store and buy other things that they don't take a hit on.
The rest of the year, it's usually the manufacturer taking a hit.

GavinGT

Banned
Microsoft is just now starting to get out of the huge hole that getting into this business with the XBox losses had them in. They're probably a little in the black by now overall at this point.

They've been profiting since 2008. They've likely recouped several billions dollars in losses by now.

But they're nowhere near breaking even. And with R&D for the next generation looming, they won't be for quite some time.

KorrZ

Probably because it's unclear what numbers exactly the dev on Twitter was comparing to.

Well, I'm no Sales-Age dude but, just quick rough estimates.

Oblivion sales @ about a month after release - 1.7 million
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/10/oblivion-records-record-sales-1-7-million-and-climbing/

PR says that Skyrim was about a 5 fold increase over Oblivion's first month sales.

So Skyrim could theoretically have sold as much as 8 million units.

Again though, these are by no means solid numbers and just some quick math based on the PR and I couldn't find Oblivion's LTD sales from a quick Google search.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, I'm no Sales-Age dude but, just quick rough estimates.

Oblivion sales @ about a month after release - 1.7 million
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/10/oblivion-records-record-sales-1-7-million-and-climbing/

PR says that Skyrim was about a 5 fold increase over Oblivion's first month sales.

So Skyrim could theoretically have sold as much as 8 million units.

Again though, these are by no means solid numbers and just some quick math based on the PR and I couldn't find Oblivion's LTD sales from a quick Google search.

That's shipped worldwide though, not sold in NPD.

TheNatural

My Member!
They've been profiting since 2008. They're likely a few billion dollars out of the hole by now.

I really doubt that. They were several hundred millions* in the hole to begin with before they even turned a profit, and then they stuck their videogame division in another division to obscure how much it's actually losing or making.

well NOA said that they didnt lose money on the 99$ Wii they said the stores did. And shipped v. sold through.

Somnid

One thing I think worth pointing out that seemed to get neglected both here and the Media Create thread is that Zelda is Motion Plus required and does not have it as a standard pack-in. What we're seeing is not a base of Wii users but those who have purchased an after-market accessory. If it manages to track ahead of Twilight Princess that would be pretty interesting.

I still wonder what all those Kinects are being used for though. I don't think there's much doubt it's helping 360 but I don't see it reflected in any meaningful way.

One thing I think worth pointing out that seemed to get neglected both here and the Media Create thread is that Zelda is Motion Plus required and does not have it as a standard pack-in. What we're seeing is not a base of Wii users but those who have purchased an after-market accessory. If it manages to track ahead of Twilight Princess that would be pretty interesting.

I still wonder what all those Kinects are being used for though. I don't think there's much doubt it's helping 360 but I don't see it reflected in any meaningful way.

Kinect Adventures (which comes with pretty much every Kinect) and then random games that sell horribly.
There is no "MUST HAVE" single game. Just a bunch of "Oh this looks neat" kind of games.

GavinGT

Banned
I really doubt that. They were several hundred millions* in the hole to begin with before they even turned a profit, and then they stuck their videogame division in another division to obscure how much it's actually losing or making.

I edited the post to clarify. By "out of the hole", I meant "up from their point of greatest loss". Not that they were profiting overall from the Xbox business.

But what im getting at, how exactly Sony and MS are making money out of those 200 bundles?

They're probably not. The hope is those consoles, similar to other door busters, become loss leaders. They take a hit on that sale, but they make up for it with accessory and game sales not only that day, but in months and years to come.

IllumiNate

I wish I could talk to 2005 Me. All gettin' picked on for buying a 360 by all the big kids waiting for the PS3. I want to say, "Hey little buddy. Dry your eyes. In seven years you'll be in Middle School and the 360 will be the biggest console in America."

I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left.

Plus 1 million for the Shawshank quote

jett

D-Member
AssCreed keeps on being a consistent, reliable franchise for Ubisoft. AssRev actually outsold AC2's first month. No wonder they want to keep pumping this out every year. Shame the last one is less than stellar.

TheNatural

My Member!
I edited the post to clarify. By "out of the hole", I meant "up from their point of greatest loss". Not that they were profiting overall from the Xbox business.

OK, I get what you mean.

Just saying, the comments over what really is good or bad just show the confusion. Who is taking the hit the retailer or manufacturer, do sales include bundles, etc, etc. It's like people see NPD nowadays and then are asking themselves "who is really winning?"

I imagine all involved are happy about the sales results. 360 is selling like crazy, Nintendo has somehow gotten really good numbers left out of the Wii, 3DS is selling a lot more and passed DS' first year amount, and Sony sold way more than they ever have.

More interesting to me is how some of the under the radar franchises did.

GavinGT

Banned
AssCreed keeps on being a consistent, reliable franchise for Ubisoft. AssRev actually outsold AC2's first month. No wonder they want to keep pumping this out every year. Shame the last one is less than stellar.

I want them to name the next one "Assassin's Creed: Ramifications", so we can all call it AssRam.

I'm beginning to think mindshare doesn't mean anything in this industry.

Nintendo went from nothing to top dog, and back to 3rd in the span of a generation. MS went from afterthought, to core console of choice, to top dog.

If you've got the games that tickle the masses fancy you've got the potential for success. And what tickles them seems to change by the year.

We knew that at the beginning of the gen when Sony lost their dominance. But the market's taste has not changed. They still want shooters and motion controlled multi-player games. The only thing that has changed is the price of the HD consoles and Nintendo's software output.

So, the 3DS isn't doing well... because Nintendo decided to fix their strategy rather than just plowing into a wall?
Huh.

What? 3DS is under performing Nintendo's projections (which are notoriously conservative). If 3DS was doing as well as Nintendo had planned, there would not have been a price cut. The fact that there was a dramatic price cut and yet the 3DS may still fall short of projections is troublesome.

But often times, past mistakes can be corrected. No, the 3DS did not have the best year. Yes, the price reduction hurt Nintendo. But as you said, there are varying degrees of success and failure to be found in all of this. I don't think saying the 3DS is back on track is an unfair statement. It's doing acceptably...for now.

I completely agree with you. Nintendo has absolutely stopped the bleeding with 3DS, and they are fixing the problem. I didn't have a problem with that statement. I simply disagree that the 3DS is doing "amazing" considering the context of the last two Nintendo consoles.

How is it doing compared to its predecessor? Well it's tracking better, but that doesn't really ensure anything. We can't go all disco stu and project a similar exponential curve like there was with the DS.

Also this. Nintendo may be able to turn things around, but we really won't know until Nintendo shows off software that can create that kind of momentum. Mario Kart is a start, but it's only one game. For now, saying that 3DS is doing great because it's beating DS's abysmal first year is a poor argument.

Curufinwe

I'm actually really enjoying Revelations now that I've worked around the shitty den defense mini-game and no longer have to worry about it. Dat hookblade.

Top Bottom