• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

I find it just as frustrating when downloadable $10 or $15 games don't sell well, I mean, you guys are giving $60 as an excuse basically, the core fact is that demand for a game like that is not high right now...if it were high enough, people would buy it at $60...in the 16-bit days, people bought platformers for $60 or more all the time, people in Japan routinely drop 5800 yen (almost $70) on games that have nothing but 2D art and voice acting...it's all about supply and demand.

I wish that there could be a "November XBLA/PSN sales results" thread with lots of attention, people barely respond to Rlan's Gamasutra leaderboard analysis threads. Kotaku/Joystiq/Destructoid/etc need to champion XBLA/PSN gaming, or it will die off in the future to be replaced by models gamers will not be very happy with.

XBLA revenue grew big time last quarter while 360 retail revenue shrank. It's not going anywhere.

It also helps that Nintendo knows how many it sold through Walmart unlike npd.
Nintendo's number is from their PR response to the NPD data.

_Xenon_

Banned
Batman is way too low ... I thought it should have made into top 5.

Saints Row is too high. Shit shouldn't have charted.

TES5 is well deserved.

SykoTech

Like I don't even know how a Sonic game could perform worse than Rayman. Like I understand, no Wii and all, but holy shit.

Jesus poor sonic. That makes Rayman look like a 500k seller in comparison lol

The audience just isn't there with sonic outside of the wii. Perhaps there's too much competition, perhaps something about being on the same console as mario lets some people give it more consideration.

Lol. Just the 3DS version guys. Crisis adverted.

choosing a platform and not having to worry about optimizing for the others means you can just hone in on development for that platform. the quality of the game would be better even if the sales might not have been.

Definitely agree with that. Especiall in Sonic Team's case.

Dear Michel Ancel,

Although there is clearly no justice in this world, thank you nonetheless for a completely amazing game. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Sincerely,

Grotesquebeauty

Takao

Banned
I had a derp moment and completely neglected the three dee comment. So that's Sonic, Cave Story, Shinobi 3D, and ???

Here's a scary thought for fans of platformers like myself: What if the 50k is better than Rayman would have sold without the holiday season to boost it?

I'm not sure that it would have done better being released at any other time of the year.

I thought the same thing myself, yea rayman gets largely ignored this time of year, but this time of year is also when games make the most sales

Look at the comments here, people crying it wasn't $15 DLC, this game wasn't going to sell no matter when it released

Ranger X

Rayman should have been a $15 XBLA/PSN title. I was very surprised and instantly turned off to learn it was a $60 retail game.

I don't care how much depth it has, how many levels, etc...it's a 2D platform game featuring a character that hasn't had a big release in 8 years. People comparing it to Donkey Kong and Mario are so far off the mark.

Still, while I don't agree they should have sold it 60$, it's mainly that I find people's mentality a bit sad really. Your argument for a game not being worth 60$ is "2D / platform game / character hasn't had a big release in 8 years".

This means alot of wrongs things. How come the fact it's "2d" makes it a worse game (aka less valuable)? Since when the fact it's 3D means it's better then? A "platform game" now. It's a genre just like any other. Are certain genres are worth more money? Genre aren't just a matter of taste? different audiences? And then what about a character... It needs to have had a game last year to be worth it? The fact there was a Sonic game last year gives more chance for the Sonic of this year to be a better game? A Mario game after 5 years must be strungling to be worth it!

Basically, all you mention in that comment of yours isn't related to a game's worth. If it was, it means that a 3D shooter with last's year character would automatically be worth more. You should have told me about something the entertainment it provides and maybe the amount of content, or again, production values. They are all part of a game worth, even if still second to the entertainment premise.

The reason why I think it was an error to sell 60$ isn't that the game isn't worth 60$. It's a high quality game full of content that is worth the other AAA beside it on the shelve. The error was to think people had overcome that mentality that "2D is worth less than 3D" when it's only a presentation style. To think that people could see "platformers" as something else than a genre of the past, or again, to think IP recognition wouldn't be influencing a purchase over the premise of fun.

Sorry to use your comment to express my opinions, I hope you don't feel attacked or anything, you are part of a large majority of gamers. Therefore, you're normal and I am of another kind. It just makes think at larger issues and behaviors I see in such forums like here where you can see gamers complain the games are samey, fuck yearly release and what not. They feel the monotony. But at the same time, when a game is outside the mold, not exactly like what they are used to but still quality, they probably wouldn't buy the game. This leads to publishers trying even less. And that's bad for everyone.

So yeah, sad that Rayman bombed this hard. I wish it would have score some 3-400k or something.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but these numbers point to a 3DS western 3rd party situation eerily similar to the DS.

No one is going to be happy with these kinds of numbers in the biggest sales months of the year, with virtually zero competition on the console aside from two (two!) big first party games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sorry if this argument has been made already, but I don't really understand people saying Rayman should have been $15.

Let's say out of the $60, Ubisoft gets $35. And out of digital sales of $15, Ubi gets $10. This is all theoretical since I'm not sure of the exact cut. To attain the profit Ubi got at retail on the digital market instead, they would need to sell over 175,000 copies on Xbox Live/Steam/PSN. Could they do it? Possibly, but it's hard to say.

At least this way they can hit retail first, then after a few months hit the digital market at a cheaper price and scoop up a few more sales. It's still a pretty bad outlook for Rayman either way, but I don't think it was a mistake to go for retail at $60.

Kusagari

I hate to be a wet blanket, but these numbers point to a 3DS western 3rd party situation eerily similar to the DS.

No one is going to be happy with these kinds of numbers in the biggest sales months of the year, with virtually zero competition on the console aside from two (two!) big first party games.

I'm not sure why you mentioned western when all those games are Japanese.

Aside from Sonic on Wii, none of those games would've been successful on other platforms.

Gaspode_T

Sorry if this argument has been made already, but I don't really understand people saying Rayman should have been $15.

Let's say out of the $60, Ubisoft gets $35. And out of digital sales of $15, Ubi gets $10. This is all theoretical since I'm not sure of the exact cut. To attain the profit Ubi got at retail on the digital market instead, they would need to sell over 175,000 copies on Xbox Live/Steam/PSN. Could they do it? Possibly, but it's hard to say.

At least this way they can hit retail first, then after a few months hit the digital market at a cheaper price and scoop up a few more sales. It's still a pretty bad outlook for Rayman either way, but I don't think it was a mistake to go for retail at $60.

My point is more like if Outland, Bastion and other jaw droppingly awesome XBLA games can't break 175K there's no way in hell Rayman will either (even at $15 or $10)

With millions and millions of potential 360/PS3 owners it's kind of depressing those numbers seem so hard to achieve, where a single map pack for a FPS game pulls in literally insane numbers (not the game, just one of its map packs)

LuchaShaq

Banned
? A "platform game" now. It's a genre just like any other. Are certain genres are worth more money?.

If the games are of the same quality? YES And honestly alot of it has to do with other games of it's genre. Super meat boy is by far the best 2d platformer this gen and it was 10/15 (forgot which) on XBLA and cheaper multiple times due to sales on steam. Rayman could have been the greatest 2d platformer of all time and had 100s of hours of content and I still wouldn't have found 60$ appealing.

Izayoi

Banned
I just can't get hyped with these sparse, cryptic sales numbers.

I mean, it looks strong, but there's no impact anymore.

I wish someone would just leak everything like the good old days.

It will be interesting to see how 360 does in December, though.

If the games are of the same quality? YES And honestly alot of it has to do with other games of it's genre. Super meat boy is by far the best 2d platformer this gen and it was 10/15 (forgot which) on XBLA and cheaper multiple times due to sales on steam. Rayman could have been the greatest 2d platformer of all time and had 100s of hours of content and I still wouldn't have found 60$ appealing.
Thank you for giving me a dim view of humanity.

Costs are higher on a retail release, I don't know by how much but manufacturing/shipping/marketing isn't free.

Also take a much bigger risk in having a bunch of unsold product.

I'm not sure why you mentioned western when all those games are Japanese.

I mean in as far as the DS gets the reputation in Western countries where 3rd party games don't sell at all, and developers don't bother to put shit out on it. The DS doesn't have any trouble selling 3rd party software in Japan.

chubigans said:

Super Meat Boy, Scott Pilgrim, Braid, and Limbo have precedent as 2D games that have done that well on PSN/LIVE/Steam. And they're still selling. And most were released in the doldrums of summer. There is no precedent for games like this doing well on the HD consoles at full price at retail. NSMB and DKCR certainly show it's possible to have a breakout hit of that sort on the Wii, but the set of circumstances for Mario/DK and Rayman aren't even comparable. Rayman hasn't had a relevant console release in 8 years. The re-release of Rayman 3 isn't coming out until next spring. There were at least two dozen high-profile releases ahead of Rayman Origins in mindshare coming into this holiday.

Thank you for giving me a dim view of humanity.

Perhaps Ubisoft (and some posters here) should explain why this game costs 4x as much as Super Meat Boy, which many regard as one of the best games of 2010.

Ranger X

But the real question is, what is the worth you give to Super Meat Boy? Knowing the game now, and knowing its your platformer of the gen and the amount of entertainment you got from it, was it worth more than it's price of entry? How many 60$ gave you 4 times the fun you had? (15$ x4).

Then there's productions values. I agree it CAN influence the price and in a certain way it should, but just not as much as the promise of entertainment. Super Meat Boy is probably worth at least 30$

But the real question is, what is the worth you give to Super Meat Boy? Knowing the game now, and knowing its your platformer of the gen and the amount of entertainment you got from it, was it worth more than it's price of entry? How many 60$ gave you 4 times the fun you had? (15$ x4).

Then there's productions values. I agree it CAN influence the price and in a certain way it should, but just not as much as the promise of entertainment. Super Meat Boy is probably worth at least 30$

I think perception of production values greatly influences pricing. When people buy a game that looks like a Hollywood movie, they justify $60. When they buy a game with a shiny plastic peripheral, they justify $99.

Consumers now expect games of flash quality to cost .99 to $5. They expect the same of puzzle games to an extent. They expect expansion packs to be $30 or less. They expect dance games to be $39 or less. They expect handheld games to be $39 or less. This comes from years of established competitive pricing from a variety of sources (HD consoles, iOS, Steam, retail). No consumer product exists in a vacuum, they are all influenced by market expectations. If you buck expected pricing trends, you do so at your own risk.

Everyone likes Angry Birds. You could not release Angry Birds 1080p-HD Special Edition for $59.99 and expect it to sell as well as the iOS version.

Third parties on Nintendo hardware.
It's never gonna change.
$40 price tag and functional retardation in terms of release window from third parties on Nintendo Platforms...it's never gonna change.

Why did they wait until Mario? Why did they charge that $40 premium? Once third parties wrap their heads around those points, their software will flounder.

That being said, Sonic and Cave Story performed better than I thought they would.

Boney

Banned
$40 price tag and functional retardation in terms of release window from third parties on Nintendo Platforms...it's never gonna change.

Why did they wait until Mario? Why did they charge that $40 premium? Once third parties wrap their heads around those points, their software will flounder.

That being said, Sonic and Cave Story performed better than I thought they would.

jonnyram is going through a phase tonight, there's no need for this

Ranger X

I think perception of production values greatly influences pricing. When people buy a game that looks like a Hollywood movie, they justify $60. When they buy a game with a shiny plastic peripheral, they justify $99.

Consumers now expect games of flash quality to cost .99 to $5. They expect the same of puzzle games to an extent. They expect expansion packs to be $30 or less. They expect dance games to be $39 or less. They expect handheld games to be $39 or less. This comes from years of established competitive pricing from a variety of sources (HD consoles, iOS, Steam, retail). No consumer product exists in a vacuum, they are all influenced by market expectations. If you buck expected pricing trends, you do so at your own risk.

Everyone likes Angry Birds. You could not release Angry Birds 1080p-HD Special Edition for $59.99 and expect it to sell as well as the iOS version.

I agree production value plays a role. I just think it's a bit too strong. Also, people are not necessarily good as dicerning production values, case in point, Rayman is having tremendously higher production values than your average flash game or Angry Birds. It probably did cost triple what Angry Bird needed too.
I personally see Rayman Origins something that should have been sold at like 39$ or something. Maybe 29$. The game probably wouldn't make more money at PSN/XBLA price range of 10-15$ bucks.

Sean

Banned

I think Rayman Origins would've EASILY cleared 175k across those three platforms. Probably significantly more, especially if they held it for one of Microsoft's big XBLA promotional pushes ("Spring Block Party", "Summer of Arcade" etc).

Limbo sold 875k on XBLA alone according to Rlan's sales charts. So there is definitely a market for it there.

I agree production value plays a role. I just think it's a bit too strong. Also, people are not necessarily good as dicerning production values, case in point, Rayman is having tremendously higher production values than your average flash game or Angry Birds. It probably did cost triple what Angry Bird needed too.
I personally see Rayman Origins something that should have been sold at like 39$ or something. Maybe 29$. The game probably wouldn't make more money at PSN/XBLA price range of 10-15$ bucks.

Determining the difference in production values and actually caring about those differences are two different things.

Ranger X

Determining the difference in production values and actually caring about those differences are two different things.

Of course people don't have to care. But I hope that people like to play the same AAA games over and over again then. Because no publisher will risk anything when they get the shaft the second they put the toe outside the line.

watershed

Banned
Sorry this is a little OT but I have no idea where else to ask:

Is Nintendo the only one of the big 3 that has an annual holiday display/demo area/experience in malls?

Every holiday season my local mall, also one of the most popular malls in the area, has a "Nintendo experience" but I've never seen a similar set up for Microsoft or Sony. You'd think Kinect and Move would make good attractions for shoppers and their kids during the christmas buying weeks.

Another mall a few miles away has a permanent microsoft store and families tend to gather there to hang out and demo games. But that's only in one specific mall whereas I think the "Nintendo Experience" moves around or something. And Sony doesn't seem to have either. You'd think all 3 would take advantage of the increase in shoppers during the holiday season.

Of course people don't have to care. But I hope that people like to play the same AAA games over and over again then. Because no publisher will risk anything when they get the shaft the second they put the toe outside the line.
Plenty of variety in the games on Live in terms of both content and budget.

Top Bottom