• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

apana

I have a maybe silly question but let me try.

Sony's PS3 black friday bunddle was pretty much sold out everywhere. So the amouth of PS3 consoles sold during this month was to a certain point a result of BF bundle allocation.

Couldnt Sony allocate more bundles to outsell the 360?

I think part of it also must be that they are hoping even if they sell out of these, people who weren't able to get one but wanted to will still be interested in getting one for just $50 more. That bundle sold out very quickly.

I have a maybe silly question but let me try.

Sony's PS3 black friday bunddle was pretty much sold out everywhere. So the amouth of PS3 consoles sold during this month was to a certain point a result of BF bundle allocation.

Couldnt Sony allocate more bundles to outsell the 360?

360 bundles all sold out too. Supply is an issue for every good Black Friday deal

Hopefully Rayman has long legs like Wario Land: The Shake Dimension.

That game seemed to bomb too, but ended up selling really well after 2 years.

Wario Land had sold 150k from September to December 09. I imagine a decent portion of those sales came from November and December. If Rayman doesn't sell higher next month, I think there might not be much of a chance for it.

Wario Land had sold 150k from September to December 09. I imagine a decent portion of those sales came from November and December. If Rayman doesn't sell higher next month, I think there might not be much of a chance for it.

Warioland sold almost half a million copies LTD if I recall. I know Anihawk knows the number. The game supposedly jumped after NSMBW.

Warioland sold almost half a million copies LTD if I recall. I know Anihawk knows the number. The game supposedly jumped after NSMBW.

I can't see any new game bringing in the necessary audience to jump Rayman sales. NSMBW brought 2D platform fans. Those fans are already on the Wii (explains why the Wii version sold better). However, that's still not enough to pull Rayman over 50k for the month.

LOCK

Unfortunately the only people still interested in a Rayman 2D game is those that were raised up on platformers. All of the newer generations don't seem to care unless it is Mario.

Keep fighting the good fight Ancel.

Unfortunately the only people still interested in a Rayman 2D game is those that were raised up on platformers. All of the newer generations don't seem to care unless it is Mario.

Keep fighting the good fight Ancel.

I think what Ubisoft needs to find out is why it works for Mario and not for Rayman.

seady

I think what Ubisoft needs to find out is why it works for Mario and not for Rayman.

Because its Mario.

Hate to say it but if Ubisoft wants a mascot game like Rayman to sell, they need to maket it kid-friendly and mass market it with TV cartoon, MCDonald Happy Meal Toys, ads on cartoon network etc... Look at what Activision did to Spyro, Sega did to Sonic, Konami did to YuGiOh.

Because its Mario.

Hate to say it but if Ubisoft wants a mascot game like Rayman to sell, they need to maket it kid-friendly and mass market it with TV cartoon, MCDonald Happy Meal Toys, ads on cartoon network etc... Look at what Activision did to Spyro, Sega did to Sonic, Konami did to YuGiOh.

While that is a huge factor, its far from the main one.

It was BG&E'd. It released along side another major release by the same publisher that got the vast majority of the ad money in a period with gigantic releases back to back. It should have been given its own less crowded month if they really cared about it. I refuse to believe any marketing research Ubi did told them Rayman had enough mindshare to succeed among giants this month.

But still, the holiday is a great time for almost every game so i wouldnt be surprised if it turns around double what it did this month in December.

duk

Banned
At the end of 2010, Wii had a 8.7M lead on the 360 in the US

LTD (from the Dec 2010 NPD thread)

Wii 34,154,281
360 25,395,075
PS3 15,462,196

At the end of November 2011, the 360 gained around 2M+ on the Wii. Leaving a difference of 6.77

LTD (from this thread)

WII: 37.75M
360: 30.98M
PS3: 19.05M

IF Nov sales double in Dec, we end up at the end of 2011 with:

WII: 39.45M
360: 34.3M
PS3: 20.85M

Now Wii has a lead of 5.15. I think Wii might do better in Dec and the lead will end up closer to just under 6.

IF general sales trends continue (a big IF with new consoles coming out), 360 will surpass wii before the 2013 holiday season ends.

thats just plain nuts if 360 comes even close to surpassing the wii!

Segmenting the market by the job a given product performs is a logical unit of analysis

When you use it as one tool amongst a range of analyses, it's useful. When you adopt it as a OTTOE, it's got the same problem all OTTOEs do: a singular theory does not have sufficient explanatory power for everything, so you wind up just hammering all kinds of divergent situations into the right shape to fit them into the theory.

Also, spare me the business school just-so stories, please.

The points you make about people's favorite bands or buying luxury goods ignore the fact that products and services may also fulfill social and/or emotional needs, as well as functional needs.

But this is just again trying to loop everything into this single, rapacious, nuance-free lens. "Oh we're fulfilling emotional needs! Let's do a focus group to see if our car makes people feel 12% more compatriotship towards their fellow man!"

Emotional connections to things are not like practical uses. They don't follow the same principles, they don't lie down along logical principles. They are axiomatic where practical uses are derived. People who have an emotional connection to your product are yours to lose -- they have a vested interest in buying and delivering what they want in good quality is all that's required to tap that interest. People who have a practical connection to your product are definitionally unreliable -- they will cut you out in a second as soon as they see a better solution to their issue. Nintendo's expanded-market push was entirely about selling DSes and Wiis to people in that latter category.

With regards to Mario Kart, the emotional attachment lies in the fact that the Mario Kart brand has repeatedly succeeded in delivering arcade, kart racing, multi-player fun, which is a job that some 30 million people apparently value highly.

Trying to push past the PR wording here, all that you've said is "Mario Kart is a game. People buy it because they like a certain type of games, Mario Kart is a good one of that type." Again, hardly a meaningful analysis.

NSMB, MK, even AC -- these are products designed for people who are already familiar with and historically invested in games (and/or children who are presently becoming so invested), using a visual and kinetic language developed across other games, with a purpose that is solely focused on the play experience. Nintendo are obviously well-suited to this; it's their entire reason for existence, their only core competency, and the singular thing that they've worked to be good at for decades. They will obviously retain a huge ability to do this basically as long as they exist.

The issue here is that Mario Kart also has nothing to do with Nintendo's expanded-market push. 100% of Nintendo's "find new markets" push was about selling hybrid software that combined gaming elements with more practical purposes -- and it's precisely these areas where Nintendo no longer has any advantage against their competition, and which you just keep refusing to engage with every time you respond.

I made an offhand reference to comics in my last post. I did so because, as many others have noted, there are many similarities between the comic book industry (particularly during the 1980's) and the video game industry today. Without digressing too much, I will point out that the number of people that care about comics as a thing shrinks every year.

Comics are actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about: comics fandom has stubbornly clung to life through decades of mismanagement, and even the (increasingly huge) crowd of people that have been driven away through that mismanagement and downright offensive behavior on the part of the industry can get sucked back in by the empty promises of a marketing event like DC's reboot -- just because people are so deeply attached to what the product is.

AniHawk

Ugh, GAF is running so horribly now.

Uhh, depends on how you personally define well. Doing better than the PS3/360 version of Unleashed isn't saying much at all. After Sonic '06, that probably became as jaded as can be anyway.

I do think that it was dumb of Sega to leave the Nintendo faithful out of their big anniversary (it was on 3DS though, but it's not like everyone has one of those yet). But making Sonic exclusive in hopes that will magically increase sales would be just as stupid. He should simply be multiplatform.

i think the multiplatform approach has hurt the sonic series overall. there's no going back, although nintendo is getting lots of exclusive sonic games from sega. i think making the entire series exclusive to one console and basically treating it like a first-party title would be beneficial to the series in general. at the very least, sega should stop with this three teams making three separate games at once crap and just focus on one product.

I think Sonic works on Nintendo platforms because Nintendo gamers see it as a viable alternative to Mario/Zelda - it is the most familiar third-party franchise, mainly because Sega has done a great job at keeping the series relevant on the Wii (plus its extensive history, being at the root of Sega vs. Nintendo in the 90s). Not releasing a Wii version of Generations is still a bizarre decision, but apparently it's the trade-off for having Colors be a Wii exclusive. (Similar to Sonic and the Secret Rings being born from an attempt at porting Sonic 06)

Sega would be crazy not to come out with a Wii U-exclusive Sonic, either at launch or close to it. In fact I'm positive they will. Bringing over the Sonic fans to a new console always seems to be a goal of theirs.

Also, I don't know if releasing the 3DS version of Sonic Generations as a Wii title would have done Sega any favors, if the 360/PS3 versions bombed like has been said. For one, it doesn't justify the development budget for the HD versions, as the 3DS and 360/PS3 versions are different enough that the 3DS version probably demanded its own separate budget. i.e. there wouldn't really be any "making up" for the losses on the HD version since they could have simply made it a Wii exclusive and made more money. It just boils down to the HD versions being a waste of money, financially (obv. the game is really good and I think their modus operandi is just to win gamers over to the series again - repairing the brand image as opposed to knocking out a few cheap million-sellers).

And the 3DS version fucking sucks so there's that too I guess.

boiled goose

good with gravy
regarding Rayman:

I think that this is a case where a multiplatform release from the get go might have hurt the title. It was just thrown in with everything else instead of being a focused targeted release.

There really was no ideal platform for it though, given that the wii has been dead for so long. DKCR did well because it was seen as the BIG title for the Wii that season, same with NSMBW (and its mario). Rayman just seemed like a minor title in comparison to all the other overhyped games.

I think being targeted as a Vita or 3DS AAA title initially would have been ideal. Then maybe release on the other systems. To get sales you need attention, and being early in a systems life can get you that attention.

i think the multiplatform approach has hurt the sonic series overall. there's no going back, although nintendo is getting lots of exclusive sonic games from sega. i think making the entire series exclusive to one console and basically treating it like a first-party title would be beneficial to the series in general. at the very least, sega should stop with this three teams making three separate games at once crap and just focus on one product.

Exactly. Same applies here. You want loyalty and you want attention and you want to deliver a more focused product.
Sonic generations released on every console except the Wii, where it seemed that Sonic was doing OK and decent games were getting released.

SykoTech

Funny you left out Secret Rings and Sonic Colors.

Try to keep up son.

Eh, I don't really see how it hurt Sonic. Heroes was the first, and sold great and got plenty of advertising thanks to it. And making Sonic exclusive would not magically turn him into Nintendo 1st party material unless Nintendo were to step in themselves (which I don't see happening). And even if they somehow did, the "first-party title" wouldn't guarantee better sales. Just ask Nintendo's own Kirby and Metroid.

I do agree that they should stop splitting up so much. Would have been best to just make Sonic '06 and Generations on Wii than to make Secret Rings and Colors at all.

AniHawk

Eh, I don't really see how it hurt Sonic. Heroes was the first, and sold great and got plenty of advertising thanks to it. And making Sonic exclusive would not magically turn him into Nintendo 1st party material unless Nintendo were to step in themselves (which I don't see happening). And even if they somehow did, the "first-party title" wouldn't guarantee better sales. Just ask Nintendo's own Kirby and Metroid.

choosing a platform and not having to worry about optimizing for the others means you can just hone in on development for that platform. the quality of the game would be better even if the sales might not have been.

funny enough, that rumor of sonic dimensions says nintendo devs are helping sega with the game and level design.

kirby's always a slow burn. epic yarn's done pretty well over the year. other m did poorly, even by recent metroid standards. it never was a huge franchise though.

I do agree that they should stop splitting up so much. Would have been best to just make Sonic '06 and Generations on Wii than to make Secret Rings and Colors at all.

the worst thing about this is they made seven console sonics this gen, and almost every one of them controlled differently. instead of just improving what worked and getting rid of what didn't, they came up with new concepts game to game. i would have loved a refined secret rings, and instead we got black knight. generations is sort of a refinement of unleashed, and so is colors, but they both added in other elements. generations is also a weird refinement of sonic 4, kinda, but we probably won't get too many more 2d console sonics.

There are rare instances in which exclusives do help sales. Notable examples are Metal Gear Solid 4, and for the West at least No More Heroes and Tales of Symphonia. Exclusives obviously have the gimp of being only on one platform instead of two, three, four, five, or even six. However if played right they could make up for it by gathering aura and a reputation., Exclusives make a game "special" as it garners the hardware bases attention as a game that is only for the platform, plays on its strength, and you can't get the game anywhere else. They are one of the main reasons to justify buying a platform. Metal Gear Solid 4 sold more than Metal Gear Solid 4 despite being on a system that in comparison sold half or a third as much. No More Heroes identified and targeted very hungry consumers for mature Wii games and really utilized the controller. Tales of Symphonia also feed an under utilize market for its target system and garnered some hype from them.

Sydle

Rayman should have been a $15 XBLA/PSN title. I was very surprised and instantly turned off to learn it was a $60 retail game.

I don't care how much depth it has, how many levels, etc...it's a 2D platform game featuring a character that hasn't had a big release in 8 years. People comparing it to Donkey Kong and Mario are so far off the mark.

johnsmith

remember me
$60 for Rayman at the peak of the holiday season was complete and utter stupidity.

Sounds like I'll be able to pick it up for sub $20 sooner rather than later.

$60 for Rayman at the peak of the holiday season was complete and utter stupidity.

Sounds like I'll be able to pick it up for sub $20 sooner rather than later.

Here's a scary thought for fans of platformers like myself: What if the 50k is better than Rayman would have sold without the holiday season to boost it?

I'm not sure that it would have done better being released at any other time of the year.

Takao

Banned
Like I don't even know how a Sonic game could perform worse than Rayman. Like I understand, no Wii and all, but holy shit.

guek

Banned
The audience just isn't there with sonic outside of the wii. Perhaps there's too much competition, perhaps something about being on the same console as mario lets some people give it more consideration.

Gaspode_T

I find it just as frustrating when downloadable $10 or $15 games don't sell well, I mean, you guys are giving $60 as an excuse basically, the core fact is that demand for a game like that is not high right now...if it were high enough, people would buy it at $60...in the 16-bit days, people bought platformers for $60 or more all the time, people in Japan routinely drop 5800 yen (almost $70) on games that have nothing but 2D art and voice acting...it's all about supply and demand.

I wish that there could be a "November XBLA/PSN sales results" thread with lots of attention, people barely respond to Rlan's Gamasutra leaderboard analysis threads. Kotaku/Joystiq/Destructoid/etc need to champion XBLA/PSN gaming, or it will die off in the future to be replaced by models gamers will not be very happy with.

Kusagari

Wait wasn't it said Sonic would have been 26th? There's no way that's the combined sales of Generations. 26th in November would be WAY higher than 20k.

Top Bottom