• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I agree . . . but it may be tempting. With the Wii U apparently being a bit of a dud,

This is getting absurd.

It sold 50k less, at an effectively 100$ higher price point and competing with a predecessor system selling over 400k units.

I mean...come on.

Road

Microsoft might as well delay the next xbox to 2014 if it keeps selling like this.

Sony lost so many billions with the PS3, I cannot even imagine how bad would it have been without the PS2 still selling well.

Similarly, Nintendo has so far lost $870 million since the 3DS launched, can you imagine how further in the red would they be without the DS and the Wii?

Do you think it's better for a company to milk their products to death, to only then release a new one?

jcm

This is getting absurd.

It sold 50k less, at an effectively 100$ higher price point and competing with a predecessor system selling over 400k units.

I mean...come on.

I think many of us are surprised that it is widely available already. It could be that they are shipping a ton, or it could be soft demand. We've seen a bunch of disappointing launches recently so the gaf pump may be primed in that direction.

onipex

But you can play all DS games on the 3DS.......

But you play all DS games on the DS. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my 3DS, but I would like more games like pushmo and the other Nintendo eshop games only in bigger retail form . I'm never going to be happy without a new Advance Wars too.

PS3: 197k
360: 325k
Wii U: 425k (aka: a bit of a dud)
Wii: 476k

Nintendo should have had a killer app for the long time dedicated fans at launch (since that is who mostly buys consoles at launch anyway). Would have helped them out dramatically. Smash Bros Melee helped the Gamecube debut at 600k for christsake and Twilight Princess releasing with the Wii was one of the smartest things they have ever done. Dat attach rate

beast786

This is getting absurd.

I mean...come on.

The only way I got wii around launch was stupid bundles that end up paying well over 100 bucks. you are fooling yourself if you think it's not a little dud compare to wii.

sflufan

Banned
I'm kind of bummed that COD had to start it's decline with the best game in the series since the original MW. (at least in terms of campaign)

What decline? This is what I calculated based on unit velocity per tracking day:

MW 3 unit velocity: 8.8 million/19 tracking days = 463,158 units per tracking day
BLOPS II unit velocity: 7.4 million/12 tracking days = 616,667 units per tracking day

Sony lost so many billions with the PS3, I cannot even imagine how bad would it have been without the PS2 still selling well.

Similarly, Nintendo has so far lost $870 million since the 3DS launched, can you imagine how further in the red would they be without the DS and the Wii?

Do you think it's better for a company to milk their products to death, to only then release a new one?

I believe zoomgbbqftw's first has estimated PS3 (on it's own) losses at 9billion+

A bit of a dud? It was only 50k behind the Wii's launch, and it was better than the 360 and PS3 launches!
More than a tad premature, surely?
This is getting absurd.
I mean...come on.
PS3: 197k
360: 325k
Wii U: 425k (aka: a bit of a dud)
Wii: 476k

It is just my opinion and I certainly can be wrong. We'll see. I just think the fact that there are plenty of Wii U on store shelves and not one Wii U exclusive on that list a bit worrying. But I guess the software weakness could be from pack-ins or digital distribution?

Well . . . we'll see. I may be totally wrong.

Edit: The Wii U may peak up steam if people are confused and don't yet realize there is a new console available.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The only way I got wii around launch was stupid bundles that end up paying well over 100 bucks. you are fooling yourself if you think it's not a little dud compare to wii.

Sigh. What happened with the Wii will never happen again and every single system that releases will be considered a dud if you compare it to the Wii launch.

Petrae

While I do think that considering the Wii U a "dud" is a bit heavy-handed, comparing launch numbers to PS3 and 360 aren't necessarily relevant. Look at the sales success and install bases of these consoles and how they've grown. Repeats of those numbers wouldn't be considered anywhere near successes when their next-gen counterparts arrive.

A 425K debut is okay as a follow-up to the best-selling console of the last generation. It's not a big success, but it's not a failure, either.

It's okay. That's it.

DGRE

Banned
Nintendo should have had a killer app for the long time dedicated fans at launch (since that is who mostly buys consoles at launch anyway). Would have helped them out dramatically. Smash Bros Melee helped the Gamecube debut at 600k for christsake and Twilight Princess releasing with the Wii was one of the smartest things they have ever done. Dat attach rate

The attached rate for nsmbu is 60%. That's unheard of.

SSBM wasn't a GC launch title; it shipped two weeks after, so I don't think it would have been included in November 2001 NPD tracking. Strange, I know.

I expect big 3DS/Vita pricedrops in 2013.
3DS, quite possibly. Vita? Sony might try it as part of a desperate, last-ditch attempt to forestall the Dreamcast option, but it'd amount to throwing money down a hole given the 2013 software lineup and how little impact (in absolute numbers, not just relative to pre-holiday sales) COD/AC ultimately had on November sales.

Agree with you on the software pricing, though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We've had employees on GAF saying their stores have gotten multiple shipments of Wii U since release.

The fact that it is available on store shelves right now is in part because Nintendo has been much better about providing supply compared to the Wii launch.

Snipes424

Maybe publishers will think twice about overloading October and November in the future.

I hope this sinks in.

2012 summer had almost nothing. This is where the non AAA-AAAA titles need to go, like the new Hitman, or Epic Micky 2, or (instert non AAA-AAAA game here).

I don't know why we go through the same cycle every year, it's overload fall and overload spring and release nothing in between.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hope this sinks in.

2012 summer had almost nothing. This is where the non AAA-AAAA titles need to go, like the new Hitman, or Epic Micky 2, or (instert non AAA-AAAA game here).

I don't know why we go through the same cycle every here, it's overload fall and overload spring and release nothing in between.

Agreed. Every year. Summer is such a dead zone for quality games. It makes no sense not to space them out.

3DS, quite possibly. Vita? Sony might try it as part of a desperate, last-ditch attempt to forestall the Dreamcast option, but it'd amount to throwing money down a hole given the 2013 software lineup and how little impact (in absolute numbers, not just relative to pre-holiday sales) COD/AC ultimately had on November sales.

Agree with you on the software pricing, though.
Sony has no clue what they're doing, that's why I expect it. Probably a $199 WiFi, 3G phased out.

3DS/XL for $139/169 sounds right. Nintendo needs to start exploring $19-29 for software again.

beast786

Sigh. What happened with the Wii will never happen again and every single system that releases will be considered a dud if you compare it to the Wii launch.

People said the same about iPhones, yet more and more people buy every year. So why shouldn't nintendo expect the same from wii brand? (Wii/WiiU).

strong brand tend to carries over next gen. but the problem was you can see the fizzle of wii last few years , which people are concern might carry on to wii u.

Wii u launch is a little dud compare to wii.

Don't get me wrong, I am positively surprize by wii u. And already like the hardware much better than wii.

jcm

We've had employees on GAF saying their stores have gotten multiple shipments of Wii U since release.

The fact that it is available on store shelves right now is in part because Nintendo has been much better about providing supply compared to the Wii launch.

Nintendo forecast about the same shipments as they had for wii. Do you have reason to believe they are shipping more than they planned to?

Plinko

So how many Sony Bombas on this month? All stars, wonderbook, LBK, more?

At this point they've got to be scrambling.

I hope they don't make some rash decisions like forcing a yearly Uncharted or something like that.

Top Bottom