• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

Isn't the Vita the only system to sell less the second month?

3DS, but I don't think it's fair to compare 3DS and Vita with Wii U when those both launched early in the year. It would be unprecedented for Wii U to drop which is why it shouldn't happen.

Edit: And like Anihawk just posted even the PS3 got a huge boost.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
for some reason that is what I thought your point was.

No--it was that people are making it out to be a bomba when in actuality it wasn't. Could've been better and could've been worse.

This would be insane if it actually happened but part of me thinks that the Wii U is going to sell less in December. The system just has no momentum, course even then it is Christmas.

Good but lower than I expected. I thought they were going to hit 800-900k

I was kinda expecting Wii U to at the very least double sales considering the 4 extra weeks?
Might even get close to PS3 numbers in December

almost guaranteed not to happen. shelves have been occupied for a period of time, but stores have been selling out. december is also a five week month compared to november.

even the $500-$600 ps3 sold over double what it did during its launch month.

Great point.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Common sense?

So you have no source. Got it.

Sorry--it's total speculation. Saying it would have sold a million is just as legitimate as saying Nintendo witheld stock to build up demand. Both have no factual basis whatsoever.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
almost guaranteed not to happen. shelves have been occupied for a period of time, but stores have been selling out. december is also a five week month compared to november.

even the $500-$600 ps3 sold over double what it did during its launch month.

Yep, went from 197k to 490k.

Where are you sourcing that from?

So you have no source. Got it.

Sorry--it's total speculation. Saying it would have sold a million is just as legitimate as saying Nintendo witheld stock to build up demand. Both have no factual basis whatsoever.

Wii Launch sales -> 476K
Wii U Launch sales -> 425K
360 Launch sales -> 325K
PS3 Launch sales -> 197K

Still don't get where this "common sense" is coming from.

Is apparently not so common.

Are you guys being serious or intentionally obtuse? The Wii would have obviously sold hundreds of thousands more if it were in supply, which is why Aqua mentioning the U selling 50k less as a reason why the sales were good is irrelevant. Why would you need a source/graph/whatever for that?

Aren't numbers the whole reason we're in this thread?...

Yes, but these numbers mean nothing. I'm referring specifically to launch numbers. To compare Wii U launch to Wii launch to PS3 launch to 360 launch on a strict numerical basis is a fool's errand. That's all I mean. It's lazy. It means absolutely nothing outside of the context of supply.

If the Wii U undersold supply, that's a story. If near riots are breaking out over the system, that's another story. Wii U is somewhere in between, which means arguments over it are not much more than sense and feel.

Yes, but these numbers mean nothing. I'm referring specifically to launch numbers. To compare Wii U launch to Wii launch to PS3 launch to 360 launch on a strict numerical basis is a fool's errand. That's all I mean. It's lazy. It means absolutely nothing outside of the context of supply.

If the Wii U undersold supply, that's a story. If near riots are breaking out over the system, that's another story. Wii U is somewhere in between, which means arguments over it are not much more than sense and feel.

On the other side of the fence, using Wii U's launch sales / availability as a justification that "the Wii U is selling poorly" is equally suspect. We need at least another month of tracking before coming to ANY kind of prediction.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
On the other side of the fence, using Wii U's launch sales / availability as a justification that "the Wii U is selling poorly" is equally suspect. We need at least another month of tracking before coming to ANY kind of prediction.

Right.

I wish we get Sony to give the PS3 numbers. NPD does not count bundles or Amazon sales.

Majorly .. already stated in the thread the x2 is on an individual basis, and PS3 did 525k on BF alone, maybe prelim numbers but doubt they were that off

NPD does not include bundles or Amazon so i don´t believe that especially when the PS3 sold 525k on black Friday alone.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I wish we get Sony to give the PS3 numbers. NPD does not count bundles or Amazon sales.

NPD does not include bundles or Amazon so i don´t believe that especially when the PS3 sold 525k on black Friday alone.

They do count bundles, if they didn't no 360 hardware would count.

They don't count software bundled with hardware towards the software chart.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm still waiting for Nintendo to bust out all that Wii-DS profit and market the hell out of 3DS/WiiU. Surely they can budget for it, after R&D and stuff...

<_<

Are you guys being serious or intentionally obtuse? The Wii would have obviously sold hundreds of thousands more if it were in supply, which is why Aqua mentioning the U selling 50k less as a reason why the sales were good is irrelevant. Why would you need a source/graph/whatever for that?

You have no idea what it would have sold so stop pretending you do. The Wii was a spiral of word of mouth that quickly made it very desirable. However, you have no idea how the thing would have sold in its launch week if it there had been a million units available. It's uselsss to try and guess. Demand does not work like that. You're extrapolating a history that didn't happen.

3DS number is a lot higher then I was expecting given the recently announced price drop.

If it was any lower it would have been outsold by the Wii and DS which would have been sad. And do we have any idea if this price drop actually exists or was it just a one time deal?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I would probably say that January-April will be the best show, since we will have exited both the launch and holiday period by the end of the window.

I think April-June will be the most interesting. That is when the PS3 dropped below 100k, and the 3DS + Vita had some of their toughest months. But yes, January-April shall tell us a lot.

I would probably say that January-April will be the best show, since we will have exited both the launch and holiday period by the end of the window.

Correct, that's the best and most plausible early indicator, barring a completely disastrous December, which I don't think anyone in their right mind actually expects. But even then, early sluggish indicators still wouldn't necessarily indicate the long term trajectory. Some systems have overcome poor-ish starts (see: 360, PS3, even NDS didn't start out completely on fire), while others never do (Vita, you still have time, li'l trooper!).

You have no idea what it would have sold so stop pretending you do. The Wii was a spiral of word of mouth that quickly made it very desirable. However, you have no idea how the thing would have sold in its launch week if it there had been a million units available. It's uselsss to try and guess. Demand does not work like that.
"The world might end on the 21st. We have no idea if it will or not so let's stop pretending we do."

That's your logic. Yes, we don't know for a 100% fact if the world will end in two weeks, but odds are it won't. You and the others are denying the obvious, on purpose.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I thought he just confirmed <790k? Did he give a lower bound I missed?

The 750k lower limit is being assumed because of the hardware combo he used. Had it been lower than 750k, he could have used something else.

I'm not entirely convinced. Would be pretty disappointing if this is all we get.

Kacho

"The world might end on the 21st. We have no idea if it will or not so let's stop pretending we do."

That's your logic. Yes, we don't know for a 100% fact if the world will end in two weeks, but odds are it won't.

Bro!

Can someone please explain why half a million 3DS units sold is bad? Honest question.

That's your logic. Yes, we don't know for a 100% fact if the world will end in two weeks, but odds are it won't.

And you have no idea that the odds of the Wii selling a million units (unprecedented) in it's launch month. Actually yours is even worse because it assumes something much more unlikely. By your logic the Wii would have sold 20 million units if they had the stock. "BUT GUYS THE WII SOLD 100 million and it was so hard to find for so long, that means that it could have sold a billion million units!!!!"

Top Bottom