• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2012 Sales Results [Up3: NBA, MoH, NSMB2 + History, Pokemon, RE6]

kunonabi

I expected at least 1+ Million for RE 6. Seems like the reviews really had a negative impact, couple it with the horrible public demo and the damage was already done. Let's hope it teaches Capcom a lesson.

Hopefully DmC bombs and we can put these last couple years of Capcom's idiocy behind us. Things are actually look good aside from LP3 to be honest. AA5, EX Troopers, Darkstalkers Resurrection, MH4, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate are all looking pretty good and free from the shitty western studios and anti consumer garbage that plagued Capcom's recent output.

god damn. even more evidence bw2 should have been a 3ds game. it'll get to 2-3m in the states, but it could have done much, much better.

Eh. I'm pretty sure there's an upper limit to how much BW2 are going to sell, 3DS or otherwise. Sure, it might pull some in with curiosity about what the 3DS can do for the franchise, but at the end of the day it is still very much Unova and N plotline expanded, even if it has a lot more new content than the typical third version.

jcm

And I think you partly answered yourself; a new AAA gaming selling like 500K and becoming one of the biggest new IP launches just shows how poorly new IPs are doing.
It may sell 2m and still not warrant a sequel; while last gen a lot of new IPs become million sellers, while the production costs and risks were much lower.

If a 500K opening month for Dishonored isn't good enough to warrant a sequel then Bethesda has only themselves to blame. That's a perfectly respectable opening month, particularly for a new IP this late in the generation. If Bethesda allowed the budget to grow out of hand then it's their own fault. That said, I'll wager they're happy with it. They should wind up shipping somewhere in the neighborhood of 2M by the end of the year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I've searched some datas from the past which could be useful for next future

October 2006

NDS (Phat + Lite): 360k
GBA: 168k
PSP: 130k

NSMB - 77k

November 2006

NDS: 918k
GBA: 641k
PSP: 412k

NSMB - much lower than 206k ( the tenth position did 206k; NSMB was 17th)

December 2006

NDS: 1600k
GBA: no data released
PSP: 953k

NSMB - 427.5k

god damn. even more evidence bw2 should have been a 3ds game. it'll get to 2-3m in the states, but it could have done much, much better.

It would have done better on 3DS but a non '2' will be coming at some point. I suppose Nintendo just wanted to finish a series one the same system.

Will they be happy/sad with the sales? Am not sure, all things considered those are great figures but I think they should have tried to get the game out earlier, or moved it to 3DS.

Least now they can move on to Pokemon 3DS.

kswiston

Dishonored did pretty well for a new IP. To those who are disappointed, I am not sure what you expected. Looking at other October releases this generation, it was around 50k behind the debuts of Borderlands 1 and Fallout 3 not counting PC retail (which would be next to nothing for Dishonored in 2012). Both of those franchises were big successes. With decent legs, I think Dishonored will do just fine.

Izick

I'm really curious to see what the next Pokeomn games look like on the 3DS. I wonder if they'll look similar to the 3D models on the Pokedex 3D thing.

I've searched some datas from the past which could be useful for next future

October 2006

NDS (Phat + Lite): 360k
GBA: 168k
PSP: 130k

NSMB - 77k

November 2006

NDS: 918k
GBA: 641k
PSP: 412k

NSMB - much lower than 206k ( the tenth position did 206k; NSMB was 17th)

December 2006

NDS: 1600k
GBA: no data released
PSP: 953k

NSMB - 427.5k

NSMBU will slow NSMB2's holiday sales. B/W2 DS was a great idea in Japan but a terrible idea in the west. The problem is that the 3DS doesn't need anything in Japan because it's already a great success whereas the 3DS could really use a Pokemon game in the west.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm really curious to see what the next Pokeomn games look like on the 3DS. I wonder if they'll look similar to the 3D models on the Pokedex 3D thing.

I sincerely hope so, it would be quite a waste of 3D models

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The low reviews for MoH and RE6, I bet, will give a big boost to AC3. I think you're going to see the hit buyers who were going to opt into those games skip them based on review scores and convert to AC3. I think they'll have a good year with that one, the timing was right. CoD, Halo, and AC3 will pick up slack for any major title below an 8 for that market, so given the size of CoD and Halo already, plus that marketing spend, AC3 has the most to gain in terms of growth. Though it'll be really interesting to see how high the ceiling can go with the other two.

omonimo

Banned
Company's should just keep their margins low all the time them - am'a'right?
As I say their sales fell, their not going to be fuelled by a price cut at this point.

Keep the price as it is and suck as much profit from the PS3 business as possible before launching the PS4.

Not to say bundles shouldn't still be put out. That would actually be beneficial as Sony can ensure System/Software sales and so the price cut is spread out.

But up front a price cut is unlikely to greatly affect sales in any way, certainly not enough to make up for the price cut.

So basically you said a new ps3 model at 179$ we wouldn't be that appetible for this christmas? :/ Seems you have forgot what past psp has done in japan just for that. Honestly, I think would give a huge boost on ps3 this christmas with some interesting margin of revanues, what Yoshida has done to me sound completely stupish & ps3 sales will go so low to not gives a further margin of revenue just for this overprice. What he has done has completely destroyed ps3 christmas in US & maybe its legs in the rest in world with the next Wii U in coming. Good for him if he think to have done the best thing for SCE.

If a 500K opening month for Dishonored isn't good enough to warrant a sequel then Bethesda has only themselves to blame. That's a perfectly respectable opening month, particularly for a new IP this late in the generation. If Bethesda allowed the budget to grow out of hand then it's their own fault. That said, I'll wager they're happy with it. They should wind up shipping somewhere in the neighborhood of 2M by the end of the year.

The opening month is similar to the original Bioshock, without the benefit of a demo and no developer history.

Miles X

Unfortunately those numbers come from non-traditional channels and thus are hearsay and can't go in the OP.

Oh right, fair enough, I thought the average weekly thing was from Anita Turner.

Edit - Just saw OP, I guess it's probably not wrong though?

Pepboy

Surprising but welcomed. Maybe now more than just the pokemon will evolve. It's doing poorly in Europe as well. Time for a real update to the series. Please.

I'm with you, but BW2 is still going to make a killing come Christmas. Anihawk's 2-3 million guess above seems reasonable.

clemenx

Banned
Pokemon's numbers are down big time. That was sort of a surprise.

Down compared to what? How do 3rd versions sell generally? They're still 3rd versions and the public knows that. As much as Gamefreak wanted to sell them separately this time. I don't think comparing BW2 to Black and White is fair.

Diablos54

Down compared to what? How do 3rd versions sell generally? They're still 3rd versions and the public knows that. As much as Gamefreak wanted to sell them separately this time. I don't think comparing BW2 to Black and White is fair.
Pretty sure they're selling at about the same level as a 3rd version, which is what the 2 games are, so I wouldn't really say BW2 are down a such.

Sandfox

Pretty sure they're selling at about the same level as a 3rd version, which is what the 2 games are, so I wouldn't really say BW2 are down a such.

BW2 actually sold better than Platinum so I think its doing what GF wanted which is as a replacement for the traditional 3rd version. There is no way it would ever sell as well as BW or HGSS all things considered.

Surprising but welcomed. Maybe now more than just the pokemon will evolve. It's doing poorly in Europe as well. Time for a real update to the series. Please.

I honestly do not know what they could do to the series that would make it better(and not make Japapn or any longtime fans mad) unless you simply just wanted them to change the story or something.

DR2K

Banned

This isn't a 3rd version. Nintendo advertised it as a direct sequal.

clemenx

Banned
Did a quick search. Pokemon Platinum did 805k in March of 2009. Pokemon Pearl and Diamond had 1.7M in April of 07.

There's no way you can say BW2 are "down" I don't know why everyone is putting them against Black and White. At most you could say that Nintendo probably hoped for more sales by making 3rd version "sequels" and there was no significant growth.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

If this was a 3DS game, the eventual Generation VI games would be a lot less impactful. Nintendo just needed that yearly Pokémon money, and they did the right choice.

Derrick01

Banned
I honestly do not know what they could do to the series that would make it better(and not make Japapn or any longtime fans mad) unless you simply just wanted them to change the story or something.

I bet a lot of people in the SNES days didn't think there was a way to evolve Mario either but Nintendo found a way to pull it off. They need to come up with something drastic because it's been mostly the damn same since it debuted in the 90s. A total formula shift.

Sandfox

This isn't a 3rd version. Nintendo advertised it as a direct sequal.

It is a third version in terms of content and game mechanics, but the story is is a sequel to the original rather than just retreading what people have already done. They more than likely just did this as an experiment to see how it would affect sales.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If it's any consolation, I actually think Dishonored did pretty darn well and I would expect a franchise out of it.

Sandfox

I bet a lot of people in the SNES days didn't think there was a way to evolve Mario either but Nintendo found a way to pull it off. They need to come up with something drastic because it's been mostly the damn same since it debuted in the 90s. A total formula shift.

I doubt they are going to do anything drastic in fear of alienating fans. As good as the 3D Mario games are just look at what happened when they brought the old style back. The only things I can see gamefreak changing are the story(maybe go away from badges), graphics(though I don't know if Japan wants 3d models), and add to the gameplay mechanics like they do every gen.

It's not doing poorly by any means. Launching the game just before the holiday season is a smart move to dilute its sales after Christmas.

Also: the series is not declining.

Kusagari

I am stunned at those Dishonored sales. It seemed to release relatively little fanfare at large and nobody on my friends list, which is usually a good indicator historically for me to predict sales, got it. For a new IP with no demo this late in the generation those are amazing sales.

As for RE6, let's be real, those are great sales. It had a very real chance at disappointing dramatically and instead did just fine in the face of the backlash and poorly received demo. I don't think it ever had a chance at building on the sales of RE5, regardless of the response.

Ridley327

I am stunned at those Dishonored sales. It seemed to release relatively little fanfare at large and nobody on my friends list, which is usually a good indicator historically for me to predict sales, got it. For a new IP with no demo this late in the generation those are amazing sales.

As for RE6, let's be real, those are great sales. It had a very real chance at disappointing dramatically and instead did just fine in the face of the backlash and poorly received demo.

I don't think that doing less than half of its predecessor with more days to its advantage is what anyone would consider to be great.

test_account

XP-39C²
In short terms, what defines the different Pokemon generations? Does it mean that i.e 2nd generation has less new content than a brand new sequel?

Ridley327

In short terms, what defines the different Pokemon generations? Does it mean that i.e 2nd generation has less new content than a brand new sequel?

It's largely defined by the roster of Pokemon and the region it takes place in.

Gen 1: Red/Blue/Yellow
Gen 2: Gold/Silver/Crystal
Gen 3: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Gen 4: Diamond/Silver/Platinum
Gen 5: Black/White/B2/W2

clemenx

Banned

First of all, a brand new region map and Brand new set of Pokemon. There's also a lot of gameplay improvements and little changes across generations that you may or may not care about. Depending on how much are you into Pokemon.

Top Bottom