• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Nintendo DS 471k
Wii 360k

ohsnapwhitemm7.gif

Xbox 360 174k
PlayStation 3 82k

baueroutyq2.gif

Game Boy Advance 84k

creepyzeldalaughsq3.gif

Haunted

PS3forums :lol

wonder when they'll move beyond denial.

Handheld gaming FTW and wow at the amazing Wii numbers. 'on fire' is pretty accurate.

C4Lukins

So I wonder if Microsoft is going to wait it out on that price drop. They could start bringing the thunder right now, or wait for Halo3. I cannot believe the Elite did not bring those numbers up. I figured you would have a ton of current 360 users upgrading, and then some newbies buying it up. When I say ton, I mean about 50,000 current owners and then the premium sales would stay steady. Turn the knife already Microsoft. There does not seem to be a significant enough amount of people willing to spend 400 on a console to keep this up.

And wtf with that God of War drop off? I cannot recall a game taking that big of a hit before.

The PSP price drop was barely worth the effort. Sony if you are going to do a price drop, make it large enough that people actually notice a price drop has occured.

With the PS3, they just need to start stripping shit from it that we do not need. Those three strange memory slots that 1% of your users use, get rid of them. I have no ****ing clue what those are for, and I am semi tech literate, kill them, because I am sure they cost money. Wireless internet, **** that it is inferior anyway, strip it. 4 USB ports, 2 is plenty. They need to reduce costs on that thing fast, and get it down to 400 fast. Plus they need MGS4 and FF13 fast.

The DS and the Wii are an enigma that I will never understand. They are the modern day toy, and as much as I want them to die, they still appeal to a shitload of people and are quite genius. They are the Mummy, the Fast and the Furious, and the Shrek of the gaming world, and it hurts.

So, I wanna ask somethin'.

Ok, so 130k, 127k, 82k = "What do you expect from hardware that costs 600$ and doesn't have much software?"

So, when are you going to say "Oh, shit, this is bad?"

80k? 70k? How about 50k? Something easily divisible by 4? 52k? 13k per week is still above Japan's trend. What about 28k? That'd make it 7k a week, certainly below PS3's new low in Japan. Would it be in trouble then, or is that to be expected?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Geezer said:
This gen is going to be so shit. The 360 and PS3, both truly brilliant next-gen consoles got outsold trampled by a ****ing toy.
This just in! One toy outsells another!

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Man. What makes Pearl sell so little compared to Diamond? The difference is so huge.

Also, the only thing Sony can really say is that the PS2 still manages to sell really well.

It's diamond baby, makes my dodoo twinkle *

Bebpo said:
I think PS3 will keep dropping in JPN every week and US every month until it gets games with mass appeal or a price drop.

In Japan the mass appeal games are coming in July and in the US......maybe not until fall?

A price drop would work too, but only for a few weeks. Like someone else said. PS3 shows that gamers won't pay $600 for a system. X360 shows that gamers wont pay $400 for a system, so now the PS3 has to get to $300 in order to sell and yeahhhhhh...not gonna happen.
Then of course, after those bumps, it always goes back down. A hallmark of a losing console.

Ashodin

NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 1.045 M
NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 712K
Psyduck.jpg

Y2Kev I've come back bro

I contributed to the undadog of Pearl.

Also, Pokemon games have a history of popular/unpopular colors. One will be chosen to be better than the other by the masses, and usually it's the one that sounds cooler/stronger.

Hence Gold selling more than Silver, Ruby more than Sapphire, and Red versus Blue (I think that's correct.)

Geezer said:
This gen is going to be so shit. The 360 and PS3, both truly brilliant next-gen consoles got outsold trampled by a ****ing toy.

Not to be terribly offensive, but you do realise that videogames are toys by definition? :p

koam

Slow month for the GBA.

You know, those numbers are terrible not cause they're under 100,000 but they're under 100,000 after only 6 months. Okay, if they were having production problems, I can understand but this is far worse than I expected. It's fun and all to see them shoot themselves in their foot, but I'd actually want to eventually own a PS3 and if things continue like this, they're going to lose mad support from both publishers and gamers alike.

I mentioned this in a few of those other doom/gloom threads but Sony can't cut the price, they're bleeding too much financially as it is. The only things I can suggest that would help them out, and this isn't really to help them surpass the 360 or Wii but rather to ensure that they don't lose too much are:

1) Bundle the console up with a couple of shovelware games and maybe a hot BluRay exclusive movie.
2) Include component cables and ditch the composite ones
3) Take a few of their downloadable games and offer them in store on DVDs (cost less) at $29.99 (maybe put a few games together).
4) Get those games that are ported over to the 360 to be timed exclusives.
5) Work on a PSThree

Chiggs

I'm convinced that if Sony released Lair, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and Ratchet and Clank in the same month, we'd be lucky to see hardware sales over 250k.

Dead. Serious.

CrisKre

One waggle future kids. you heard it here first.

Thinking back to, say, october last year and how the industry was shaping before the release of Wii and PS3 and fastforwarding to today: Am i in bizzarro world? someone pinch me.

Bebpo said:
I think PS3 will keep dropping in JPN every week and US every month until it gets games with mass appeal or a price drop.

Problem is, it needs both at the same time - what good are games with mass appeal if the mass market can't/won't afford your system?

In Japan the mass appeal games are coming in July and in the US......maybe not until fall?

July? What titles are due then? Don't recall anything major, unless there have been some notable recent announcements I've missed.

Oh, and in honour of the Pokebomb, an oldie:

robbinspokeman.jpg

iammeiam

Stormbringer said:
If Sony ever manage to positively spin this one, I eat my goddamn hat.

Sony sold roughly 82,000 MORE PS3s than any other video game manufacturer in the month of April. No other company could ever hope to sell as many PS3s as Sony.

I give up. There's no spinning this.

_leech_ said:
What the hell are you talking about? Since when does wanting the 360 to get the sales it deserves "Sony PR spin"?

:lol in reference to 82k being understandable for a 600$ console but more than twice being unacceptable for a 400$ console.

DIZZY!

Nintendo PR....
May 17, 2007

Already riding a streak as America's No. 1 seller of video game consoles, No. 1 seller of portable game systems and No. 1 publisher of video games, Nintendo added more chips to its pile in April-with not just one, but the country's four best-selling games.

According to independent sales data gathered by the NPD Group, the two best-selling games in April were Pokémon® Diamond and Pokémon® Pearl, exclusively for the Nintendo DS™ hand-held game system, followed by Super Paper Mario™ and Wii Play™ for the Wii™ home video game system. Combined sales for the two related Pokémon titles exceeded 1.75 million units in just 14 days of availability during the reporting period.

The DS remained the most popular game system of any kind in April, with projected sales of more than 470,000 units. At the same time, the Wii from Nintendo, despite nearly universal sold-out status, was still purchased by twice as many consumers as any other home game console, according to the NPD data. Unit sales of 360,000 Wii systems in April bring the console's installed base in America to nearly 2.5 million in less than six months on the market.

"Nothing is more valuable in the entertainment world than an evergreen franchise," says Reggie Fils-Aime, president and COO, Nintendo of America. "These new Pokémon titles have cemented their place alongside the most enduring intellectual properties of the book, music and movie industries. And that appeal will expand even further with the introduction of Pokémon® Battle Revolution to our Wii home console

You can almost see Reggie's shit eating grin while reading it :lol

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder if MS dropped the X360 $100 if it'd be enough to start outselling the Wii on a monthly basis and stay as the #1 console this gen.

My predictions/real (Speculawyer's first time in the game):

NDS - 465K/471K (My Pokemons, I showed you them.)
WII - 360K/360K (B - I - N - G - ****ing O! Did N send a subtle message?)
360 - 210K/174K (Elite sales apparently did not help much at all. I thought they would.)
PS2 - 190K/194K (360 humiliated by the PS2 yet again.)
PSP - 170K/183K (Price drop did only have slight effect.)
GBA - 115K/84K (Well, I was right that it beat the PS3 again in their grudge match)
PS3 - 110K/82K (Even I didn't think the PS3 would do THAT bad! Ouch.)

GCN - 3K/13K (No one cares. Get a Wii, it plays gamecube games.)
XBX - ~0K/? (Indeed . . . NO ONE cares.)

Overall, a pretty decent showing . . . ironically I did not very good on the 360 & PS3 that I probably track the closest.

Jiggy

My one only comment before I cook some food and then some popcorn and come back in half an hour to read a thread that'll surely have grown by ten pages:

Go, Pokemon. Go! Crush! Kill! Destroy! REND SPACE AND TIME! :D

Especially impressive since it was out just on April 22nd and the series always shows long legs. Though now I almost wish I'd bought two copies of US Pearl (along with JP Diamond and Pearl) instead of getting both...

Why do I have the feeling that we're going to see GC vs. PS3 photoshop pics in a few months?

The 360 numbers are terrible, as much as I'd like to laugh at the PS3 it's pretty obvious that MS needs to drop the price. Saturation point has been reached for the $400 pricepoint audience.

And wow at PSP 'closing the gap'. Oh, and when was the PSP price drop? Shouldn't it have boosted sales some?

The software numbers are just bonkers.

Looks like God of War 2 blew its load in the first month, Ghost Recon AW2 floppped off the charts, and Guitar Hero is still selling like crack no matter where it's released.

WOW at 360 Spiderman outselling PS2.

The Elite was only out for a little less than a week for this report, but it obviously didn't have the effect that MS desired. Drop that price...

Top Bottom