• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Sharp said:
It's true, though--Nintendo fans are getting annoying about the sales, and it's not just revenge. Yes, there's a big difference between the PS3 and the Wii, between the DS and everyone else, between the GBA and... okay, yes, it's fun to gloat. I should know, I'm one of you myself. But--and maybe I feel this way because I entered last-gen late and never got a GCN--sales figures are no substitute for great games. That's not to say high sales don't often lead to their creation (through studio acquisition, shifting developer support, etc.) and low sales don't have somewhat of the opposite effect, but in and of itself they are completely meaningless. You don't parade high sales to excuse the Wii's current lack of games, you don't try to make PS3 owners feel bad about the Sony Gamers' Day footage by posting huge charts emphasizing how horribly their console of choice is selling, and ABOVE ALL you need to stop whining whenever a game isn't announced for Wii or DS.

It's that last part that's really been grating my nerves. Maybe Wii owners want revenge for the PS2 days and the alleged (again, I wasn't around for the GCN period) Sales-Age smackdown by PS2 owners, but when they start trolling great PC game threads, querulously demanding Wii ports and questioning exclusives, their shrill, squeaky voices, yet unmarred by the healing touch of puberty, rising higher and higher in an uneven, cackling monastic sales chant, that excuse disappears rapidly and I just want to strangle them.

The example that comes to mind is the OMG BLIZZARD EXCITE thread; it really pissed me off when I saw a few Nintendo fans try to derail the impending Starcraft 2 love with DS/Wii/console sales talk. I have a suggestion for how to deal with situations like this, Wiitards: shut up about your consoles' sales. THIS IS ****ING STARCRAFT. It is so far beyond Sales-Age it's not even funny, and if you want to go there it sold something like fourteen MILLION copies. That's right, a sexy high-quality hardcore RTS sold more than your precious Nintendogs, on the DEAD PC. Crazy huh? DAMN I guess maybe they don't need the DS/Wii brigade's help picking a platform now do they NO OF COURSE THEY DON'T YOU NTARDS BLIZZARD CAN MAKE BIG MONEY JUST FINE KTHX?

All I can think of is that Nintendo fans are still in shock that the console they would have bought anyway is selling well for once, and it's gone to their heads and made them mad. My advice in that case is just to wait: eventually they'll calm down and things will start to cool off, or they'll get their quality games and have a legitimate reason to be happy, or they won't and they'll get manic-depressive and I don't know what will happen.

Sorry if this seems excessive, it's just getting frustrating and I had to get this off my chest. I do like the Wii, and I do think it will have plenty of games I want to play in the future, but follow the old adage: if you aren't interested in the game except as a possible moneymaker on the Wii or DS, GET OUT OF MY THREAD.

It's also because Wii fans and the Wii in general are also belittled by so many on GAF.

Deku said:
I believe sales on consoles was only mentioned in the SC thread when graphictards started complaining about how Blizzard didn't apply the latest and greatest effects just so they can feel good about it. Most of the posters were annoyed, but I can see why junior troll shard would hold an opposing view.

Sucks for you.

Pretty much.

laserbeam

Banned
Sharp said:
It's true, though--Nintendo fans are getting annoying about the sales, and it's not just revenge. Yes, there's a big difference between the PS3 and the Wii, between the DS and everyone else, between the GBA and... okay, yes, it's fun to gloat. I should know, I'm one of you myself. But--and maybe I feel this way because I entered last-gen late and never got a GCN--sales figures are no substitute for great games. That's not to say high sales don't often lead to their creation (through studio acquisition, shifting developer support, etc.) and low sales don't have somewhat of the opposite effect, but in and of itself they are completely meaningless. You don't parade high sales to excuse the Wii's current lack of games, you don't try to make PS3 owners feel bad about the Sony Gamers' Day footage by posting huge charts emphasizing how horribly their console of choice is selling, and ABOVE ALL you need to stop whining whenever a game isn't announced for Wii or DS.

It's that last part that's really been grating my nerves. Maybe Wii owners want revenge for the PS2 days and the alleged (again, I wasn't around for the GCN period) Sales-Age smackdown by PS2 owners, but when they start trolling great PC game threads, querulously demanding Wii ports and questioning exclusives, their shrill, squeaky voices, yet unmarred by the healing touch of puberty, rising higher and higher in an uneven, cackling monastic sales chant, that excuse disappears rapidly and I just want to strangle them.

The example that comes to mind is the OMG BLIZZARD EXCITE thread; it really pissed me off when I saw a few Nintendo fans try to derail the impending Starcraft 2 love with DS/Wii/console sales talk. I have a suggestion for how to deal with situations like this, Wiitards: shut up about your consoles' sales. THIS IS ****ING STARCRAFT. It is so far beyond Sales-Age it's not even funny, and if you want to go there it sold something like fourteen MILLION copies. That's right, a sexy high-quality hardcore RTS sold more than your precious Nintendogs, on the DEAD PC. Crazy huh? DAMN I guess maybe they don't need the DS/Wii brigade's help picking a platform now do they NO OF COURSE THEY DON'T YOU NTARDS BLIZZARD CAN MAKE BIG MONEY JUST FINE KTHX?

All I can think of is that Nintendo fans are still in shock that the console they would have bought anyway is selling well for once, and it's gone to their heads and made them mad. My advice in that case is just to wait: eventually they'll calm down and things will start to cool off, or they'll get their quality games and have a legitimate reason to be happy, or they won't and they'll get manic-depressive and I don't know what will happen.

Sorry if this seems excessive, it's just getting frustrating and I had to get this off my chest. I do like the Wii, and I do think it will have plenty of games I want to play in the future, but follow the old adage: if you aren't interested in the game except as a possible moneymaker on the Wii or DS, GET OUT OF MY THREAD.

Starcraft 1 on the DS would kick ass huh :lol sry couldn't resist that one

KINGMOKU

Xeke said:
I'm sure hoping that if the Wii does indeed reach that status that it doesn't bring along all the ridiculous shovelware that the PS2 saw but that is just and inevitable consequence of being on top I guess.
With the Wii, we will see shovelware upon the likes wich have never been seen before.

Just think about how bad some of the games could be+waggle. You could see a 20$ bacon cooking simulator packed with spatula.

BARF-O-LA.

Deku

Banned
Sharp said:
Just to bring this up one last time:
Here, at the very least. And yes, everyone got annoyed, including me. You did good catching the joke posts, though I think you missed Grecco.

Except its on the wrong freaking thread Just give up.

speculawyer said:
From earlier in the thread:
0521ps1c.jpg

BTW, someone really needs to photoshop that & change to PS3, xbox 360, & Wii. I lack the tools (and talent).
Here you go.

gbasskicking.gif

Sharp

Deku said:
Except its on the wrong freaking thread Just give up.
It's the thread I was talking about originally, Deku. The BLIZZARD OMG thread. I thought I made that clear, but I guess not. By all means, feel free to ignore everything I say. The reason I haven't responded to any of the other responses is because I don't want to start anything that hasn't started already, in case any of you were wondering.

Edit: If you thought I meant the other thread, I suppose that might explain some of your responses. Sorry if that's the case.

Chumly

Sharp said:

So basically your flipping out over one post that says they should make it on the DS? Honestly who cares. Its just like the boat loads of trolls against the Wii/DS. Gaf trolls against everything possible dont act like its the Nintards that need to cool down.

Did Sony ever release an official statement this month? I saw the fake one someone posted much earlier, but if Sony did make an official statement, can someone post it for me? thanx.

dyls

mood said:
Eh, I wouldnt say Guitar Hero II underperformed since it had 5 days of sales in the March NPD. Adding up those sales (which went into April, since GH2 was released April 3) with this months it did 488k.

I forgot that GHII appeared on the March NPD's as well. Respectfully withdrawn. No wonder no one else thought it was a disappointing number ;)

Nonetheless, this is the first month that 360 has failed to completely dominate in terms of next-gen software sales. Just a dry patch in terms of releases that will soon be righted, or the beginning of a trend? Bring on the May NPD's!

Aeris130

perfectchaos007 said:
Did Sony ever release an official statement this month? I saw the fake one someone posted much earlier, but if Sony did make an official statement, can someone post it for me? thanx.

I believe this is the only statement they made.

"PS3 did see a dip in sales in April that we attribute mostly to a lack of new software in the market," Dave Karraker, SCEA's Sr. Director, Corporate Communications, said in a prepared statement sent to GameDaily BIZ. "For the remainder of this fiscal year, we expect a flood of new games for PS3 totalling more than 100 titles across all genres, including Heavenly Sword, Lair, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, LittleBigPlanet and many more. We feel strongly that this robust library will help drive hardware sales in the upcoming months."

Could be wrong though.

TJ Spyke

I think they also did some BS about the "PlayStation brand" outselling the Wii, or maybe that was a joke staement someone here made.

laserbeam

Banned
official release was

"According to the latest NPD data, SCEA generated total sales of $271 million in the month of April, buoyed in part by the addition of the PS3 platform, which sold a total of 82K units for the month, as well as the strong performance of the PSP at retail, which saw a 13% year-on-year increase for the month of April, selling 183K units. The price of the PSP Core system was dropped from $199 to $169 in early April, which has received very positive retailer and consumer response. PS2 also continued to be a strong performer during the month with unit sales of 194K."

dyls said:
I forgot that GHII appeared on the March NPD's as well. Respectfully withdrawn. No wonder no one else thought it was a disappointing number ;)

Nonetheless, this is the first month that 360 has failed to completely dominate in terms of next-gen software sales. Just a dry patch in terms of releases that will soon be righted, or the beginning of a trend? Bring on the May NPD's!
The Wii has been nipping at the 360's software heels for a couple months now with half the userbase and a drier drought.

Eteric Rice

moku said:
With the Wii, we will see shovelware upon the likes wich have never been seen before.

Just think about how bad some of the games could be+waggle. You could see a 20$ bacon cooking simulator packed with spatula.

BARF-O-LA.

No, Moku... I think the DS has that covered. :(

But the DS is still awesome.

Sharp

Okay, looking over my post it's kind of over the top. I was just a bit... frustrated. Again, I'd respond to some of you, but since I don't want to turn this into trollbashfestlolntardbittertearstime PM me if you really want to discuss this with me.

And yeah, SCEA press release was kind of weak, but I don't think there was actually any way they could have spun it this month.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sharp said:

The Wii is the perfect antidote to too much PC gaming, and vice versa. There's actually hardly any flack between the two camps.

And the DS is perfect antidote to being indoors.

Xavien

Xeke said:
It's a damn shame. I seem to remember less shovelware on the SNES but maybe thats just my bad memory again.

There was less dross on "Licensed" Nintendo Games, but "Unofficial Unlicensed" games on the SNES were shovelware incarnate, so including both i would say its was about the same as the PS2/DS is now. As SteveP so succinctly put-it it was "Mountains of Shit surrounded by a few Gems".

ghst said:
The Wii is the perfect antidote to too much PC gaming, and vice versa. There's actually hardly any flack between the two camps.

And the DS is perfect antidote to being indoors.

I Agree completely, i have a PC, a DS and a Wii, i personally think they are perfect combination, but that's me.

apotema

dyls said:
Actually, one of the big stories of the April NPD is how un-phenomenal the 360 software sales were. The top twenty, not including handhelds (DS):

Both the Wii (SPM) and 360 (GHII) had one major release this month, and the Wii's won out. Also, the Wii games came in at nos. 1,2,9,13,19 while 360's titles were 3,5,10,11,14, 20. Basically a spot behind throughout, which is a bit amusing.

On the 360, Guitar Hero II underperformed, I think, and Spiderman 3 was no great shakes either (although in fairness the game sucked and the Wii version did much worse). Not terrible software sales, but the Wii did better despite having half the installed base. Not to mention that the Wii's lone third-party game actually showed some pretty good legs, which is unexpected, but maybe signals the more casual base of the Wii that won't necessarily pick up every title on launch day.

Some Guitar Hero II numbers were accounted in March, huge numbers indeed.

Metalmurphy said:
That was shown 2 years after the console was release, with a pretty big sales difference. Hardly the same thing applies here.
One system had been out 2 years and two systems had been out 0.5 years. Now one system has been out 1.5 years and two systems have been out 0.5 years, so in that way it's very similar. Except in this case the system that's selling at PS2 speed is one of the 0.5 year systems rather than the 1.5-2 year system.

Meh, whenever any game gets announced we've got people shrieking it should be on their platform of choice. It's hardly confined to the Nintendo fans, though they're as bad as any about it. But check out the NiGHTS or Rygar thread and you'll see the same thing coming from other camps.

System fanboys suck, except for entertainment value.

KINGMOKU

JoshuaJSlone said:
One system had been out 2 years and two systems had been out 0.5 years. Now one system has been out 1.5 years and two systems have been out 0.5 years, so in that way it's very similar. Except in this case the system that's selling at PS2 speed is one of the 0.5 year systems rather than the 1.5-2 year system.
This is why I love you.

You dont argue, you just post the facts and let them do your talking.

KEEP IT UP.

lexi

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Meh, whenever any game gets announced we've got people shrieking it should be on their platform of choice. It's hardly confined to the Nintendo fans, though they're as bad as any about it. But check out the NiGHTS or Rygar thread and you'll see the same thing coming from other camps.

System fanboys suck, except for entertainment value.

That's all this is, just a complete role reversal to keep things fresh and kinky.

laserbeam

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Meh, NPD threads are awesome. It's almost like watching the new Rambo trailer, and Rambo is the Wii.

Rambo.gif[/QUOTE]

Haha I was wondering when that would make its way over didnt think it would wait til next NPD

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sharp said:
Maybe Wii owners want revenge for the PS2 days.

Fair point. I'm not for picking on PS3 fans because of sales, or posting graphs, but as a former Dreamcast fan I would be lying if I said I'm not enjoying the current market. After Sega quit I chose Nintendo and I'm glad. Any of the former Dreamcast owners who made that choice are probably getting a big kick out of the current state of affairs. Not just with the Wii but also the DS vs. PSP, that one was even more delicious, I gotta admit.

laserbeam said:
official release was

"According to the latest NPD data, SCEA generated total sales of $271 million in the month of April, buoyed in part by the addition of the PS3 platform, which sold a total of 82K units for the month, as well as the strong performance of the PSP at retail, which saw a 13% year-on-year increase for the month of April, selling 183K units. The price of the PSP Core system was dropped from $199 to $169 in early April, which has received very positive retailer and consumer response. PS2 also continued to be a strong performer during the month with unit sales of 194K."

That was seriously the lamest PR Sony has done in months. Getting the wild Sony spin on the NPD numbers has been as interesting as the NPD numbers themselves. But they just gave up and threw in the towel this month. Such a disappointment.

Brakara

dyls said:

No domination for May either. I think only Forza 2 is a heavy hitter this month, and that will have one week (or so) of sales. And there's also this thing called Halo 3 Beta going on.

I'm a bit surprised you thought the Spider-Man 3 sales for 360 were bad though. I mean, you realize it sold even less on PS2? And how many multi-console titles have previously sold more on 360 than PS2?

laserbeam

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
:lol :lol Which forum was this? Was it the official ones?

ps3forums.com

When the PS3 in japan went from 11K to 12K for one week they were ready to dance in the streets at how it was "recovering" then boom down to 8800 and they pretty much gave up on trying to spin much like Sony PR has given up

Eteric Rice

laserbeam said:
ps3forums.com

When the PS3 in japan went from 11K to 12K for one week they were ready to dance in the streets at how it was "recovering" then boom down to 8800 and they pretty much gave up on trying to spin much like Sony PR has given up

Link please. I want to read this NPD thread.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
speculawyer said:
That was seriously the lamest PR Sony has done in months. Getting the wild Sony spin on the NPD numbers has been as interesting as the NPD numbers themselves. But they just gave up and threw in the towel this month. Such a disappointment.

Seriously. The fact that they didn't even try this time. Makes me a bit worried. :/

F#A#Oo

Banned
Well it's in a sales thread by done by the user LoudNinja or something or other...he has been tracking PS3 numbers but unsurprisingly enough he didn't post this weeks Media-Create or NPD numbers in the thread but just up-dated the numbers on pg.1 like he does every week/month...

No official NPD thread was started this week because of the much louded pre-news that was coming in that it would be low in Japan and NA...and threads opened on the subject were subsequently closed by mods in order to curb any bad Sony discussions...:lol

Protect the hive ftw...:D

Top Bottom