• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

From team xbox:
A year after a new consoles release, the console from last gen did not continue to outsell the next gen competition. people are being f**king cheap. all being leaches waiting for price drops. goddamit.

it pisses me off because there might be fewer hardcore gamers than I expected... too many casual "Ill wait for a a great deal.... hihi".

:lol :lol :lol

Terrell

titiklabingapat said:
From team xbox:

:lol :lol :lol
I dunno what's worse, the fact that people actually expect that everyone is willing to pay that price for the console just because they do, or the lame post itself.

Mariah Carey said:
I just don't understand... what are these people fans of, specifically? Nintendo fans were/are fans of Mario, Zelda, Metroid et al. Sony's biggest guns--- the Metal Gears, the Final Fantasies, the Grand Theft Autos, are all third party stuff that don't even have to appear on the system. If these were to go to some other console, there's nothing there for them to be fans of... unless they're just THAT devoted to Sony first party, which I have a hard time imagining.
Well you have Team Ico, J&D, Gran Turismo. Sony does publish a lot of good games, I see nothing wrong with being a fan. But you're right that FF and MGS get heralded by PS fans a lot.

Until PS3, I've never understood how you could be a Sony fan. Their consoles were always dominated by third parties, and that's what made the systems so great. Sony had a good first party, but most the iconic games from PS1 and PS2 weren't from them. Nintendo fans can at least be a fan of their developed and published output.

Strangly, the majority of stuff I want to play on PS3 is now coming out of Sony first party.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreatDave said:
Until PS3, I've never understood how you could be a Sony fan. Their consoles were always dominated by third parties, and that's what made the systems so great. Sony had a good first party, but most the iconic games from PS1 and PS2 weren't from them. Nintendo fans can at least be a fan of their developed and published output.

Strangly, the majority of stuff I want to play on PS3 is now coming out of Sony first party.
Sony always had a fairly strong first party line up. Sure most of the heavy hitters were all third party but Sony's first party stuff was pretty damn good too.

But I agree...PS3's strength right now lies in the first party titles. It looks like it is well on its way to becoming Sony's GameCube.

Mariah Carey said:
I just don't understand... what are these people fans of, specifically? Nintendo fans were/are fans of Mario, Zelda, Metroid et al. Sony's biggest guns--- the Metal Gears, the Final Fantasies, the Grand Theft Autos, are all third party stuff that don't even have to appear on the system. If these were to go to some other console, there's nothing there for them to be fans of... unless they're just THAT devoted to Sony first party, which I have a hard time imagining.

I don't think it has to do with any particular games, or sony's first-party teams. It's just that a lot of people have grown up with Playstation and human beings have a natural tribal instinct.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
TheGreatDave said:

Sony knows that third parties exclusives are a dying breeds. If they don't beef up their first party offering they are dead.

Its understandable, really. Its a form of subculture where the price of admission is a massive investment and without others jumping in, you get less and less money's worth. Its only going to get worse if the expensive consoles do poorly and the cheap ones keep on exploding.

Is there somebody who can calculate, or has already, how many the consoles last gen sold at their different price points?

The_Dude

Parl said:
PS3 Forums said:
Next-gen starts when Sony says it does, and if PS3 can sell this much before the generation even starts, then at the end of this year, with our killer first party line-up, our third party games and a price drop, THEN next-gen starts. And then with HDTVs and Blu-ray getting bigger, WOW. And Microsoft may as well pack their bags, because it looks like they might just end up losing to Wii.

Our Sony has done it again.
Wow... :lol

Wolves Evolve said:
Is there somebody who can calculate, or has already, how many the consoles last gen sold at their different price points?
This would be interesting to see, we need that old list with monthly data since ps2 launch I saw a few months ago.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
The_Dude said:
Wow... :lol
I must say I preferred
Would Xbox 360 be selling at PS3's rate if it was $600? I'm not using that as an excuse, I'm just proving that more people are interested in PS3 than 360, EVEN BEFORE THE BIG GAMES HAVE COME OUT!

Aeris130

Next-gen starts when Sony says it does, and if PS3 can sell this much before the generation even starts, then at the end of this year, with our killer first party line-up, our third party games and a price drop, THEN next-gen starts. And then with HDTVs and Blu-ray getting bigger, WOW. And Microsoft may as well pack their bags, because it looks like they might just end up losing to Wii.

Our Sony has done it again.

My dad is stronger than your dad.

Neomoto

speculawyer said:
From earlier in the thread:

0521ps1c.jpg
OMFG That shit was real? :lol ! I always thought is was some lame-ass joke photoshop.

Leondexter said:
I can't say for sure about 'ever', but it's very likely. I can confirm the highest April console back to the PS2 launch was 332k (PS2, Apr 05) and the highest handheld was 418k (GBA, Apr 03).
So it could very well be that Nintendo has broken TWO records at once with Wii and DS? Wow.

TheGreatDave said:
Well.. that's because that pretty much IS the majority coming out for the system :lol (j/k of course) Sony really upped their 1st party, and with good reason too 'cause they need it more than ever now.

And :lol at ps3forums. Again.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stitch said:

WOW. Another comedy goldmine. Their news are absolutely hilarious. For instance:

05 May 2007
Sony ranks 10th in the "Top 50 Most Innovative Companies"

Sony ranked #10 out of 50 in Business Weeks list of “The 50 Most Innovative Companies” (Yes, beating out the less innovative Nintendo). Their description as to why they deserved this spot wasn’t detailed, but it seems that they were highly impressed by the Playstation 3, Home, and in their words “It's expanding cross-border alliances for flat TVs and cell phones, too.” In my opinion, they deserved the number one spot. Sony has always strived for greatness and their company/products scream innovation.

"This traditional tech hardware maker is devoting more resources to software. To turn its PlayStation 3 console from living-room box to virtual gateway, it created a 3D online world that simulates the real one."

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/05/0503_innovative_co/source/11.htm

:lol (btw, Nintendo ranked #39)

bc226

I have been wondering something for a while now, how can anyone honestly say the PS2 has sold over 100,000,000 consoles and not include the fact that at least 33% to 50% of that total are replacements? After all i am on my 3rd PS2. so lets just say that 1in 3 folks have had to replace the console then the PS2 is not the biggest selling console anymore instead it would be a Nintendo unit.

bc226 said:
I have been wondering something for a while now, how can anyone honestly say the PS2 has sold over 100,000,000 consoles and not include the fact that at least 33% to 50% of that total are replacements? After all i am on my 3rd PS2. so lets just say that 1in 3 folks have had to replace the console then the PS2 is not the biggest selling console anymore instead it would be a Nintendo unit.

The big flaw in your reasoning is that you actually believe that anywhere close to 1/3 of PS3 buyers have had to replace their console. 1/20 would be a generous amount.

Parl

bc226 said:

Ssshhhh!

That's why we don't go on Sony shipment figures, because that includes repeat purchases, aka, replacements. And also those which has yet to sell to an end customer.

When having the total of PS2 in Japan and NA, it's significantly less than Sony's shipment total.

Kilrogg said:
WOW. Another comedy goldmine. Their news are absolutely hilarious. For instance:

:lol (btw, Nintendo ranked #39)

What's so hilarious about it? They are referring to the entire company not just the gaming division.

bc226

Just for the heck of it how many here are on there first PS2 still?

Me i am on my 3rd. Why 3rd simple games, and i am one of those that thinks this time around Sony would rather win the format war then the console war.

SONY PROTECTION GROUP??

Tell me it's satire!

bc226 said:
If 1/3 of your stuff breaks within two years, there is something seriously wrong with it's design.

bc226 said:

Me i am on my 3rd. Why 3rd simple games, and i am one of those that thinks this time around Sony would rather win the format war then the console war.

We have two in the household of two people. One in my father's car, and another I inherited from my cousin when he moved out of this house. Both are first generation PS2s. And they still work, both of them.

bc226 said:

Because Nintendo units don't break. EVER :eek:
Also your forgetting many of the replacements were done by Sony, and those don't count as extra sales.

Btw, i'm also on my first PS2 here, bought it in Nov 2001

Zoe

bc226 said:

Still have a launch unit kicking. I think the bf opened it only once a few years ago to adjust a screw(?).

It makes horrible sounds trying to play GH2 though.

Jokeropia

Metalmurphy said:
Also your forgetting many of the replacements were done by Sony, and those don't count as extra sales.
Indeed, but they do count in Sony's production shipments which is one of the reasons those are significantly higher than NPD and Media Create's numbers.

bc226 said:

My sister is, and I'm on my second not because it quit; but I sold it in anticipation of buying a console for the next generation. I didn't see much sense in 2 PS2's.

BTW at the numbers ... HOLY ****.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
bc226 said:

I'm still on my first. My parents bought it for me in the summer of 2001. In fact, I've owned tons of consoles and have never had to replace any of them.

bc226

My first PS2 i got the famous DRE, My second one the door gear broke they are plastic. So now on my 3rd has for the PS3 will not be getting one till its at least 150$. Do not care about BR or HD my old 25 inch sd is fine.

Neomoto

bc226 said:

My PS2 broke down twice, too. The ps2 is the only system I ever owned that broke down on me.

First Children said:
Did Nintendo surpass EA as the 1st publisher in the US?

Can we have a top 5 publishers by revenue?
Yes, at least in this month according to their Nintendo's NPD press release.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Morbid Angel said:
What's so hilarious about it? They are referring to the entire company not just the gaming division.

In that specific case, no. They're referring to the PS3 because it's Sony's new product. And I'm not really laughing because of the top 100. What's funny is how the guy at SPG.com insists on Nintendo being "less innovative" because they ranked #39 vs. Sony #10 and tells us that Sony should be 1st. Oh well, you know what they say: if you have to explain teh funny, then it's not teh funny... :(

Deku

Banned
Wyndstryker said:
Sony Protection Group?

This must be the elite SDF we've been hearing about! It's proof they have a special forces unit in the SDF!

From their website. Probably some kid's hobby.

About Us:

SonyProtectionGroup.com
Our main site consists of a blog, which is used for spreading factual information, not lies, fud, or rumors spread by other various websites such as kotaku and wii60.com. We also give the users here the ability to share their content, by allowing them to upload videos and pictures that they've made. The forum is the next piece of the website and probably the best part, because it allows all members to come together, share thoughts, and communicate.

Sony Protection Group
The Sony Protection Group isn't just any ordinary online group. SPG is a movement against Wii60 and a movement towards the Playstation 3. It originally started out as an idea and a joke, but after the hatred and lies against the Playstation 3 increased, the SPG formed.

bc226

Domain Name: SONYPROTECTIONGROUP.COM
Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS1.STARTLOGIC.COM
Name Server: NS2.STARTLOGIC.COM
Updated Date: 27-feb-2007
Creation Date: 16-feb-2007
Expiration Date: 16-feb-2008

Perhaps another alliwant?

DSWii60

guys check this out on the ps3 forums (reference to GAF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Oh look, a blind guy! =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSTriple Slaya
oh look a guy so far up sony's ass he cant see that the ps3 is getting its ass handed to it. just look at the sales numbers e.g. NPD, media-create and go on a real, unbiased forum like NeoGAF.

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=73807

Edit: looks like someones gone on a rage spree on there. PSTriple has been giving it out it in nearly every thread

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Sony Protection Group?

Is that some kind of fantasy delusionary world to protect individualds from the real world?

This is getting beyond hilarious!

1-D_FTW

This thread reminds me of the time GAF discovered Team XBox forums and began posting and mocking all the stupid things they said. It introduced a sudden influx of hardcore bots to GAF. Expect a sudden SDF influx in the next GAF wave. (I'm assuming somebody's posted they're being laughed at.)

Top Bottom