• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

Mooreberg

thewesker said:
No, it was on sale from May 4th to May 10th.

The April sales might be why. The retailers would have known about a slowdown before we did. Either way, I'm happy with my 50% purchase!

markatisu

Danthrax said:
Okay, so retailers aren't happy because they have 250k copies of MH3 sitting around collecting dust :lol

When it comes to the $4.98 Bionic Commando (a true super bomb) price bust let me know so I can get some copies for my friends :lol

neutralgamer02 said:
Shipping 500k in the west wouldn't be too much of an improvement over the psp game which also shipped around 500k in west. That is without a marketing blitz.

OK so I am confused, they shipped the same, the one with the marketing blitz sold more but is still disappointing.

I still cannot fathom how anyone was expecting 200-300k first month

I just rented FFXIII. The CG is great, so i'm guessing that's where the majority of the budget went. I'll see how the game goes, but my expectations are pretty low.

People need to stop being so gloom and doom about MHTri. Granted, it totally should've cleaned up the Wii charts, but not making the top 10 doesn't mean it didn't sell decently. If it sold more than 100k, it's only 1/5 of the way to Capcom's projected sales, and games in NA have more legs than people realize, since we never hear about what's selling outside of the top 10 like we do with PAL and Japan.

seady

I wonder if the multiplatform strategy hurts FFXIII sale or improves it.

For some reason, when games that cater to one single platform go multiplat, it will not received well in the public's eyes, as if it is some kind of betrayal or something and loses its specialness - thus getting bad reviews.

It may sound unrelated and ridiculous, but there are a lot of precedents to this.

DR2K

Banned
FFXIII was pretty bad, and the sales reflected that thankfully, so hopefully that'll keep Square in line for their next major FF.

sillik

Banned
AceBandage said:
Highest opening by double.

yeah well, when you start adding marketing efforts of previous mh games as opposed to mh3 to the equation than it kinda does look like a bomb. Its obvious both ninty and capcom had alot riding on this release and not cracking the top 10 in a really slow month is nothing short of a dissapointment no doubt.

DR2K said:
FFXIII was pretty bad, and the sales reflected that thankfully, so hopefully that'll keep Square in line for their next major FF.

The game sold 1.3 million copies last month, and is one of the top selling titles of the year so far. It didn't have great second month numbers, but that's hardly unprecedented. That trend has been continuing for awhile on the PS3 and 360, especially with big franchise games where everyone runs out and buys the game in the first couple of weeks.

gogojira

Haters can hate, but I'm damn pleased (and certainly surprised) with Tri taking the 11 spot -- nice performance. It's also crazy (but unlike Tri, not at all surprising) seeing NSMB Wii still way up on the charts.

Pretty sad seeing FXIII leave the charts so soon and I'd agree with those suggesting negative word of mouth hurt its performance.

I still need to try it out for myself, opinions are so split on it.

Jokeropia

sillik said:
yeah well, when you start adding marketing efforts of previous mh games as opposed to mh3 to the equation than it kinda does look like a bomb. Its obvious both ninty and capcom had alot riding on this release and not cracking the top 10 in a really slow month is nothing short of a dissapointment no doubt.
Their expectation for the west is 500k shipped LTD, so no.

Vinci

Danish
seady said:

For some reason, when games that cater to one single platform go multiplat, it will not received well in the public's eyes, as if it is some kind of betrayal or something and loses its specialness - thus getting bad reviews.

It may sound unrelated and ridiculous, but there are a lot of precedents to this.

Being multiplatform is, AFAIK, never a negative thing. Perhaps on a technical level, not taking advantage of what each platform offers to the umpteenth degree - but sales-wise?

DR2K said:

Will we get another mainline FF(XV) this gen? Versus looks interesting, but another numbered FF is unlikely this gen.

AniHawk

velvet_nitemare said:
Will we get another mainline FF(XV) this gen? Versus looks interesting, but another numbered FF is unlikely this gen.
I wonder who's in charge of XV. Maybe Matsuno's old team?

seady said:

By "the public" you mean 50 to 100 completely irrelevant fanboy nutters.

Last I checked "No longer PS3 exclusive" wasn't one of the reasons why FFXIII reviewed as poorly as it did.

JdFoX187

Banned
Vinci said:
Being multiplatform is, AFAIK, never a negative thing. Perhaps on a technical level, not taking advantage of what each platform offers to the umpteenth degree - but sales-wise?
They never really took advantage of the Xbox 360's power anyway. So them going multiplatform really shouldn't be a problem as far as technology goes. Sales wise should be interesting. There will be the diehards who see Bungie's name, correlate it with Halo and buy their new game no matter what. Whether the casuals will or not is a different story. The same thing can be said for Respawn Entertainment as well.

Dave Long

Banned
donny2112 said:
NPD said it, too. They really like to use Easter to explain away bad months. They did it last year for March, too, and then April (with Easter) was worse.
Easter is a major holiday for game sales, specifically handheld games. Nintendo releases Pokemon games before Easter for a good reason.

DR2K said:

Umm...FFXIII was the fastest selling FF title in franchise history. Granted, I personally didn't care for it as you did, but a lot of people apparently did. Granted it also might not have the legs of other FF titles in the long run but that has been the case with a lot of popular franchises this gen, i.e. strong first month sales followed by dropping fast in the sales charts.

heringer

Nice showing for MHTri. I just beat Barroth, so...

success.jpg

Anyway, I'm shocked people are actually surprised this is the best debut in the series. It's the most friendly entry, with a very robust online and it had a huuuuge marketing campaign.

GillianSeed79 said:
Umm...FFXIII was the fastest selling FF title in franchise history. Granted, I personally didn't care for it as you did, but a lot of people apparently did. Granted it also might not have the legs of other FF titles in the long run but that has been the case with a lot of popular franchises this gen, i.e. strong first month sales followed by dropping fast in the sales charts.

The game won't sell as much as the predecessors, and it was critically panned all over the place. The franchise is losing mindshare. Not quite "shooting for irrelevancy", but they need a better showing next time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
AniHawk said:
I wonder who's in charge of XV. Maybe Matsuno's old team?

SaGa team.

lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
velvet_nitemare said:

Final Fantasy XIV is out this Fall.

donny2112

Dave Long said:
Easter is a major holiday for game sales, specifically handheld games. Nintendo releases Pokemon games before Easter for a good reason.

Oh, for sure. NPD even specified that ~20% of the loss over last April could be attributed to Easter changing months. It just sounds more and more hollow as a reasoning each time they use it. For this month, using NPD's numbers, the loss would still be 80% of what it was over last April if Easter were in April again this year. From that perspective, there's obviously bigger issues going on that are worth talking about more than which month Easter is in.

I had the same kind of thoughts when they used that as an excuse last year (i.e. that there were bigger issues going on that they weren't addressing), and then April 2009 was less than March 2009 despite having Easter in it. Kind of shines a light on the frivolity of just holding up Easter as a reasoning for the drop. Those feelings carry over to this year, too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
velvet_nitemare said:
I'm obviously referring to single player FF's.

;)

Don't think we'll see a XV anytime soon then. Versus XIII is basically the next mainline single player FF.

seady

PepsimanVsJoe said:
By "the public" you mean 50 to 100 completely irrelevant fanboy nutters.

Last I checked "No longer PS3 exclusive" wasn't one of the reasons why FFXIII reviewed as poorly as it did.

Like I said, while it seems unrelated, it wasn't the first time the exclusivity changes people perception of a game. When a game is exclusive to a single platform, the amount of hype and interest surrounding it is always higher.

Opiate

Final Fantasy, as a franchise, is in a terrible position: it's in a sub-genre that has rapidly lost popularity in the west, with a franchise pedigree that relies heavily on presentation, and with a recent mainline entry in the series being viewed as sub par.

In short: costs are rising rapidly, while sales continue to fall. I'm not sure it's time for profound reinvention quite yet, but if we see sales fall with FFXV, it absolutely will be.

Vinci

Danish
seady said:
Like I said, while it seems unrelated, it wasn't the first time the exclusivity changes people perception of a game. When a game is exclusive to a single platform, the amount of hype and interest surrounding it is always higher.

By an audience roughly half the size of the multiplatform audience, yes.

Opiate said:
Final Fantasy, as a franchise, is in a terrible position: it's in a sub-genre that has rapidly lost popularity in the west, with a franchise pedigree that relies heavily on presentation, and with a recent mainline entry in the series being viewed as sub par.

In short: costs are rising rapidly, while sales continue to fall. I'm not sure it's time for profound reinvention quite yet, but if we see sales fall with FFXV, it absolutely will be.

Yeah. FF is in bad shape right now. FFXV better be that reinvention.

Opiate said:

I think your analysis needs work:

Final Fantasy XIII sold in excess of one million units on its first day of sale in Japan,[110] and had sold over 1,600,000 copies in Japan at the end of 2009.[111] Square Enix had anticipated high sales for the game and shipped close to two million units for its launch.[112] The game has sold more than 1 million copies in North America in its release month and became the fastest selling title in the UK of 2010. In March 2010, Square Enix stated that Final Fantasy XIII became the fastest selling title in the franchise's history.[10] By April of the same year, American game sales for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 reached an estimated 800,000 and 500,000 units respectively.[113] Worldwide the game has shipped 5 million copies.[9]

Sales for XIII were astronomical. GAF might be complaining but this is only going to encourage square enix to keep doing what they've been doing.

The game won't sell as much as the predecessors, and it was critically panned all over the place. The franchise is losing mindshare. Not quite "shooting for irrelevancy", but they need a better showing next time.

Critically panned? what?

Famitsu rated the game at 39/40, with three reviewers giving the maximum 10/10 and one reviewer giving 9/10.[96] Dengeki praised especially the battle system, stating that the battles are by far the most exciting in the series, and concluded Final Fantasy XIII deserved a score of 120, and that 100 would not be enough.[108] The game was voted as the second best game of 2009 in Dengeki online's reader poll,[114] and in January 2010, was voted the best game ever in Famitsu's reader poll.[115]

The game's Metacritic aggregates score stands at 83 for the PlayStation 3 and 82 for the Xbox 360, signifying "generally favorable" reviews.[91][92]

Look, I get that previous entries had higher scores, but metacritic scores in the 80s and a near perfect from famitsu is nowhere NEAR "critically panned." Don't mistake the bitching of forum dwellers still pining away for an FF7 remake as the norm.

velvet_nitemare said:

I'm fairly confident it will outsell XII. It probably won't sell as much as X did, but that's hardly the worst thing in the world. It will still be the best selling RPG to not have "Pokemon" in its name for this generation.

As far as being "critically panned", that's both ridiculous and not true. It has an 83 on metacritic, which is pretty good score. It's not as high as some past games, but that's not a bad score by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, some places gave it very negative reviews, but there were also places which gave it extremely positive reviews.

Talamius

Opiate said:

If profound reinvention means a retro reboot back to the SNES style, I'm all for it. More gameplay, less interactive movie.

jibblypop

Banned
Opiate said:

Dragon Quest has it right. Way cheaper to make and sells more. (way better too!)

Top Bottom