• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

peter42O

So, you are saying that if everyone was just like you, Sony would never lose another month? I'm struggling to find the point of your cool story, bro.

Point is that sales shouldn't matter to any gamer because not everyone is going to have the same opinion. Personally, I don't give a damn who wins or loses. None of the millions of dollars is going in my pocket. As a gamer, I just want good games to play regardless of what console it's on. There's good exclusives on both Xbox One and PS4 but the majority of exclusives on Xbox One simply don't interest me as much as the exclusives on PS4 do. And even though I prefer Xbox 360 over PS3, I prefer the Sony exclusives over Microsoft's.

Again, it's just personal preference. Nothing more and nothing less. In regards to sales, gamers (or fanboys if you really want to be literal about it) are the only ones who make a huge thing about it month after month.

Funny thing is that I see Sony winning overall but Microsoft winning in NA as they don't care about anywhere else as much as they do in NA.

barit

Ugh those Americans will never learn it :p

I bet it has to do with the 50$ price difference. Seems like Sony needs to act and announce a price cut @ E3 asap

Last thing they should want is that MS gains new strength in the US market and fans posting "it's a good console" around on the internet lol

Edit: Last sentence was sarcastic. The first one was just ignorant. The middle was meant to be somehow serious. I should stay away from NPD threads. Sorry

ApharmdX

Banned
stop-lying.jpg

i almost bought an xbone last month, the 349.99 bundle with mcc & hardline at bestbuy in canada was tempting, i ended up getting a Wii U & a vita...

Eh that seems a bit uncalled for. Personally, I have a PS4, and I got an Xbox One with a $175 dollar PS3 Slim trade-in last month. The One is a good console, far FAR better as a solo console than the Wii U. It's not unthinkable that someone could play their Xbox more often than their PS4. The One has some exclusives that might factor in heavily.

I will say, though, for me, the Xbox One is a symphony of missteps. The UI is terrible, awful, garbage, there's not words for how bad it is. Account management and Xbox Live is significantly worse compared to that of PS4. Otherwise both consoles have most of the same games, so the gap isn't that wide, maybe.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I bet it has to do with the 50$ price difference. Seems like Sony needs to act and announce a price cut @ E3 asap

Last thing they should want is that MS gains new strength in the US market and fans posting "it's a good console" around on the internet lol

I can't tell what's sarcastic or pure ignorance anymore.

peter42O

I wonder what would win this Christmas:

Xbox One Slim Redesign + Halo 5 + Tomb Raider + Forza + Game Bundle
Vs.
Playstation 4 Price Drop + No Mans Sky + Uncharted Trilogy/Bundle + Marketing partnership

Hmmm, are those actual bundles because I can see both being at least $500 each if all of that is included in one bundle. And in that case, I think both would lose.

I seriously doubt that Sony drops the price of PS4 anytime before releasing the slim model which I think won't be debuted until E3 2016 at the earliest.

Xbox One definitely needs a slim model without the damn power brick.

Fat4all

Banned
In regards to sales, gamers (or fanboys if you really want to be literal about it) are the only ones who make a huge thing about it month after month.

That's quite an over generalization. I'm a "fanboy" for closely following or caring about sales numbers numbers and statistics?

I like doing it because I love sales and marketing and seeing how it effects the industry.

Well, it is a perfectly good console. It's not as good as the PS4, but it's good, and it's got some great exclusives like FH2, SO, KI, Ori and the Blind Forest (yes I know it's just console exclusive). Just like PS4 has some great exclusives like KZ:SF, TLOU (I don't like it but I can understand it's arguably a great exclusive), Bloodborne, and No Man's Sky (hopefully will be great, honestly don't know if this one is coming to PC too or is true exclusive).

Trying to condescend about Xbox fans saying "it's a good console" around the internet is an attitude just as bad as any of the worst MS fanboys' arguments against PS4.

They're both good consoles. Their CPUs are underwhelming unfortunately, but they're both still good consoles.

Edit: If yours was a joke post, disregard this. As another above me said it's hard to tell who is serious and who isn't these days.

Javin98

Banned
Off topic, but is there any point in reading pages 9 to 20? I get the feeling most of the posts will be "Sony is doomed" and "Sony needs to drop the price" posts.

mike4001_

I actually did never think that.

Bloodborne was just released on the PS4 and X1 has no exclusives in the next months.

Now do something for Europe Microsoft to even the odds a little bit.

Competition is good ! :)

peter42O

That's quite an over generalization. I'm a "fanboy" for closely following or caring about sales numbers numbers and statistics?

I like doing it because I love sales and marketing and seeing how it effects the industry.

Not for following it but to say "Xbox One is the best because it outsold PS4" or vice versa. Stuff like that. That's what I meant. If you're following it for what you posted and don't say stuff like what I have in quotes, then it's okay because technically, you're not a fanboy. Most fanboys just like to start a flame war between the two consoles.

Hubble

This can be a dangerous year for the PS4. Sony's games lineup is atrocious this year while Xbox One has a lot more attractive titles.

zarnold56

This can be a dangerous year for the PS4. Sony's games lineup is atrocious this year while Xbox One has a lot more attractive titles.

Sony has had The order, MLB, Bloodborne, plus a whole bunch of Indies like Axiom Verge. What has Xbox had since the first of the year?

kitch9

Banned

When you say atrocious you mean it will mostly have the same games as the Xbox but with the probability that they will be better performing?

Yes?

Javin98

Banned
Reading through the pages now, it seems that Mortal Kombat X did 1.25 million? That's pretty impressive for a fighting game. Hopefully Tekken 7 can do better than that.

Larogue

I don't understand what made the X1 sell more than PS4 this month. I mean PS4 just had 2 big AAA exclusives past two months, the X1 had nothing major this year.

Qvoth

Kinda surprised tbh
Didn't bloodborne come out at the end of March? So it didn't help with hardware sales on April?

Fat4all

Banned
Reading through the pages now, it seems that Mortal Kombat X did 1.25 million? That's pretty impressive for a fighting game. Hopefully Tekken 7 can do better than that.

How well has Tekken done in NA with its past few titles? I'd be very interested to know.

EDIT: I started today's as a Junior. How did I become a Member? Is it on a timer? Did I just not screw up and not get banned? How exciting!

Stampy

What did MS do to win this month? I mean, Sony recently released couple of games, and as far as I know MS lineup was pretty barren this year and there was no price cut.

RexNovis

Banned
How well has Tekken done in NA with its past few titles? I'd be very interested to know.

EDIT: I started today's as a Junior. How did I become a Member? Is it on a timer? Did I just not screw up and not get banned? How exciting!

Congrats! Some juniors make me lose my mind up in here. Good on you not acting a fool up in here.

I probably just dated myself so bad haha

Basically if you reach a certain length of time, accumulate a certain number of oats and replies while avoiding a perma ban you're good to go. TLDR: You did good.

If I remember correctly Tekken has faced a fairly steep decline in recent sales in the U.S. They have been nowhere close to the numbers Street Fighter 4 put up. But I'm not 100% on that and I don't have the data in front of me. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'll look into it after I get home from work.

Yep. Why people think a price cut is a defeat I've no idea. Its part of the life cycle for consoles especially due to their long life.

If the price is right, why does everyone who might want a PS4 not buy it next month? People need to remember a sale is someone's decision to buy a product.

Sales across the boars are poor and I struggle to see healthy figures next year without a change.

Best typo ever :D

Regardless of who came first, these numbers seem bad. Someone posted that these numbers are the same as the 18-month figures for the PS3 and 360. Pulling the same numbers as two more expensive consoles (in total) 8 years ago doesn't seem like such a grand achievement.

Hubble

When you say atrocious you mean it will mostly have the same games as the Xbox but with the probability that they will be better performing?

Yes?

What? Performance has nothing to do with a games line-up lmao. That sounded salty.

Xbox One for this year has Ori and the Blind Forest, State of Decay Remaster, Tomb Raider, Halo, Forza 6, Fable Legends, Neverwinter, which has a tremendous following, Smite, and probably more.

That is far more attractive than Bloodborne, Axiom Verge, Tearway, The Order, etc., not to say those are bad games. Sony really dropped the ball for 2015 and look terribly unprepared. It does not help Uncharted has been delayed and Ratchet and Clank is 2016 too. No Man's Sky I think is the best Sony exclusive for this year but that is not the level of Tomb Raider or Halo. With aggressive pricing, MS can continue to do well.

LOCK

The PS4 and the Wii U weekly average dropped more than I expected MOM.

But I guess this indicates that the weekly average is stable for the XB1. Makes sense in that Bloodborne and Kirby were exclusives compared to no notable exclusives released for the XB1, which affected last months weekly average more than I assumed.

So for predictions, May is going to be interesting. Will people buy the Witcher 3 on the PS4 even though there is marketing for the XB1?

Who ever wins May will be because of the Witcher 3. Splattoon may pull a MK8 for May, with an underperformance YOY in June (unless we get a price cut).

I hope we see a Wii U price cut if not at E3 then with the release of Mario Maker in September.

Top Bottom