• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

Chobel

It's an impact but not enough to win entire monthly NPD's. With Walmart, Bestbuy, Amazon, etc., I highly doubt not even a majority of purchasers (over 50%) used that promotion that was only by one retailer. Most people probably just picked up a MCC bundle at whatever store they happened to be at. In fact according to your chart, if you take the other retailers, there is plenty of more dealings other than Gamestop. Walmart is 25%, Target 15%, Bestbuy 12%, Amazon 6% - these retailers did not hold a trade-in Xbox One promotion and make substantial sales.

Gamestop + Best buy = 42% of the market, a 20% increase in sales for these two retailers (easily doable thanks to trade-in deals) will get you more than 13K extra unit.

driver116

if they lose the next couple months you can bet your ass they're dropping the price

It's a risky strategy they're taking. If they actually care about market share that is. Sony does seem to carry a cavalier attitude. Compared to Microsoft who seem aggressive. There's hardly any response from Sony it seems - especially considering they position Playstation at the heart of their future success.

Max_Po

It's a risky strategy they're taking. If they actually care about market share that is. Sony does seem to carry a cavalier attitude. Compared to Microsoft who seem aggressive. There's hardly any response from Sony it seems - especially considering they position Playstation at the heart of their future success.

MS practically gave out the xbox1 during Christmas season.

Xbone is closing the gap.

Seriously though, those numbers are dire. I wonder just how long Sony will sustain a no price drop attitude.

Later this year at the Paris event or TGS would be my guess. But they don't even need to do that.

Xbox One out-sold them by 13k? That's not really great news for MS. They really do need to dominate NA and UK to have a shot of not drowning WW.

If Sony continues to win or keep it close in those areas while pulling away RotW, I don't see MS being happy about that at all.

spekkeh

Banned
The actual take away is that everyone this month did numbers that are really not good for anyone. These are not monthly numbers we want to see for a console in its second year.

Consoles are still on a decent trajectory overall, but it's months like these that make one wonder just how strong these numbers really are or if it's still a bit inflated from how long the past generation was and if we're still going to see major growth contraction even ignoring the Wii.

I dunno, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse here, but it kind of seems like the console warriorism is one of the few reasons the Xbox One is still selling. There's very little reason to buy an Xbox One other than prior allegiance. Wii U ostensibly has a better value proposition, but doesn't sell, also because it was met with global apathy. Nobody's talking about it, hence nobody's buying it. Outside of the US, the Xbone is just as dead as the Wii U, because it's met with the same apathy. People wanting a console buy a PS4, but not in the insane numbers to offset anything.

But because it still seems to have a fighting chance in the US, which is fueled by the close NPD numbers, because there's this silly race going on, people become invested and talk about the options, and above average games like Sunset Overdrive get championed as much better than anything the other guys have to offer, and then people from the other camp suddenly want to try out this exclusive that they can't play on their machine, and buy both consoles, etc.

Competition is probably a good thing right now. The PS4 is not like the PS2 where it has massive casual appeal for its DVD player and can go on to sell 150 million. It doesn't have that value proposition.

BokehKing

Banned
Later this year at the Paris event or TGS would be my guess. But they don't even need to do that.

Xbox One out-sold them by 13k? That's not really great news for MS.
Wait what? They beat Sony in a month no one expected, they haven't had any good games come out in a long while, yet still beat Sony

I'm pretty sure they are looking at yesterday as a great victory

Amir0x

Banned

They are going to drop the price this year, and I still don't know what this means. Sony cares about marketshare - which is why they still have more sales in North America and a super significantly larger marketshare in the rest of the world. PS4 basically has double XBO sales worldwide.

It's not a "cavalier" attitude, it's simply a company that understands it can't take the financial risks it used to and is riding the price point for as long as possible until it's no longer tenable. It's still tenable.

spekkeh said:
I dunno, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse here, but it kind of seems like the console warriorism is one of the few reasons the Xbox One is still selling. There's very little reason to buy an Xbox One other than prior allegiance. Wii U ostensibly has a better value proposition, but doesn't sell, also because it was met with global apathy. Nobody's talking about it, hence nobody's buying it. Outside of the US, the Xbone is just as dead as the Wii U, because it's met with the same apathy. People wanting a console buy a PS4, but not in the insane numbers to offset anything.

I really disagree with this entire notion. Obviously people want the XBO in the US; nobody is going to spend $349.99 for "console warriorism." Even if we could find a person that would, that section of the market would be so tiny as to essentially be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. People want the XBO because it has a decent price proposition versus the competition and it has games people do want, like Forza Horizon 2, Ori, Sunset Overdrive and more. It's not because of some magical voodoo or anything.

spekkeh said:
Competition is probably a good thing right now. The PS4 is not like the PS2 where it has massive casual appeal for its DVD player and can go on to sell 150 million. It doesn't have that value proposition.

Competition is just competition, it doesn't have a value as good or bad ;)

driver116

They are going to drop the price this year, and I still don't know what this means. Sony cares about marketshare - which is why they still have more sales in North America and a super significantly larger marketshare in the rest of the world. PS4 basically has double XBO sales worldwide.

It's not a "cavalier" attitude, it's simply a company that understands it can't take the financial risks it used to and is riding the price point for as long as possible until it's no longer tenable. It's still tenable.

Hey I'm just a consumer looking in, and that's what I see. I see Microsoft as the one's pushing price cuts, advertising and just awareness. I hardly see or hear anything from Sony. This is obviously skewed as I'm from the UK. From a business point of view, you're probably right. But from a consumer view, could you say Sony seem lacking confidence which leads people to look towards a stronger competitor. I dunno. *Feelings*

Spaceking

This is great news for Xbox owners and gamers in general. It shows that the console industry is healthy and alive.

Now we have to wait for Sony response.

I really disagree with this entire notion. Obviously people want the XBO in the US; nobody is going to spend $349.99 for "console warriorism."

There's a social aspect to fanboyism - I've had enough unpleasant experiences as a customer in videogame retail stores of sales staff clearly pushing their own console preference that I suspect people who go to game retail stores because they don't know enough about the market to just buy off amazon instead can still be swayed in certain directions.

Wait what? They beat Sony in a month no one expected, they haven't had any good games come out in a long while, yet still beat Sony

I'm pretty sure they are looking at yesterday as a great victory

"A great victory"? :)

I'm sure they're glad they didn't lose even more ground in U.S. That happiness might be short-lived considering the situation they're in.

If MS isn't happy with the state of things WW, then they just don't need to win. They need to win by a whole lot in their main territories to make up for what's happening in the rest of the world. I don't see how this is an offensive notion or news??

My main point is, I don't think losing by 13k is enough to push Sony towards a reactionary price cut. I think that price cut was already planned for just before the holidays this year.

spekkeh

Banned
I really disagree with this entire notion. Obviously people want the XBO in the US; nobody is going to spend $349.99 for "console warriorism." Even if we could find a person that would, that section of the market would be so tiny as to essentially be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. People want the XBO because it has a decent price proposition versus the competition and it has games people do want, like Forza Horizon 2, Ori, Sunset Overdrive and more. It's not because of some magical voodoo or anything.
Obviously those things play a part, but a lot of decisions are based on emotion and not (or just as much as) on rationality, and our biases direct our perception. Do we really want FH2, or do we want what our peers consider is something good. Or even that we are led to believe they consider as good. Saying we buy it for console warriorism is just a silly as saying someone is intrinsically driven to buy FH2 based on some kind of wholly rational deduction process. Rather, it's a decision based on a myriad of encapsulated prior experiences, identification and self-efficacy, and group pressures.
Competition is just competition, it doesn't have a value as good or bad ;)
Sure, but for us a big games market is generally in line with our interests.

Castef

Banned
"A great victory"? :)

I'm sure they're glad they didn't lose even more ground in U.S. That happiness might be short-lived considering the situation they're in.

If MS isn't happy with the state of things WW, then they just don't need to win. They need to win by a whole lot in their main territories to make up for what's happening in the rest of the world. I don't see how this is an offensive notion or news??

My main point is, I don't think losing by 13k is enough to push Sony towards a reactionary price cut. I think that price cut was already planned for just before the holidays this year.

The whole "winning" this is quite pointless, I'd say. They are selling lots of console and are most probably happy with that.

It is Sony which is selling at a extraordinary pace, yet, I don't think Microsoft is in a bad situation with XB1.

Somnia

My take away is not that "MS won" it's more that MS was way up YOY and Sony was down YOY. That's the trajectory I'll be watching during the slow summer months, now who "won".

Surprised Xbox one took over this month, they didn't release anything big that I missed did they?

Seen some killer deals on Xbox one though :D good going Microsoft

Steroyd

This is great news for Xbox owners and gamers in general. It shows that the console industry is healthy and alive.

Now we have to wait for Sony response.

The difference is so small it can be negated by Japan sales, MS would have to win by a significantly larger margin more consistantly for it to turn into a trend for Sony to react.

Prine

Banned

Xbox One out-sold them by 13k? That's not really great news for MS. They really do need to dominate NA and UK to have a shot of not drowning WW.

If Sony continues to win or keep it close in those areas while pulling away RotW, I don't see MS being happy about that at all.

On the contrary, MS not doing anything remarkable, with no big release and coming on top for this month is probably being met favourably in Seattle. They didnt push for it this month it seems.

They'll do what they did last year to dominate later, with the added bonus of heavy hitters. Fully expect them to do the biggest numbers for consoles during xmas period.

Of course will not matter WW, but i believe MS key markets are US/UK which looks like theyre still investing a lot of effort in.

This good for everyone but the fanboys. I'm really surprised Xbox One got a month that wasn't part of the holidays.

I fail to see how this is "good" for anyone except Microsoft fanboys. They get a talking point.

Everyone else is faced with what can be described as mediocre sales at best.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Like I said in the other thread, honestly surprised that Xbox pulled this off so close to the bloodborne release. That game should have had more sales momentum imo. No idea what happened there.

bloodborne + The Order + MLB Vs Ori + Screamride?

Maybe Sony are simply hitting a point where demand is starting to be satisfied, as they had such a strong start? The YoY increase for Xbox one is interesting too, given a backdrop of general falls in HW.

Hmm. Was there any consensus around the reasons for this? Missed 37 pages.

mike4001_

I fail to see how this is "good" for anyone except Microsoft fanboys. They get a talking point.

Everyone else is faced with what can be described as mediocre sales at best.

It just shows that Xbox One is not always behind the PS4.

Which is also good for developers to see because lately we got some 3rd party PS4 only games and stuff.

These I really don´t find in the best interest of gamers in general.

frizby

Nice job Xbox.

On the PS4 side, I wonder what effect the Batman bundles are having. I mean, if I'm buying a PS4 right now, that's what I'm getting. Has to be pushing some sales into June, right?

The whole "winning" this is quite pointless, I'd say. They are selling lots of console and are most probably happy with that.

It is Sony which is selling at a extraordinary pace, yet, I don't think Microsoft is in a bad situation with XB1.

XB1 may be selling bonkers. But if Sony are still selling significantly better, they're stealing market share (and seemingly mindshare) back from MS. The gap still grows. In a generation where reportedly "everyone" thought MS would dominate coming off the success of 360, the financial state of Sony at the time, and the superiority between leaked system specs (before Sony turned that in its head with revised specs at its reveal).

This is not what MS wanted to happen. When Phil Spencer himself said he wants to win. They maybe dealing with it. But I doubt they're happy with losing market & mind share to a competitor. What company would?

As far as mindshare and positive perception, you have people on here and elsewhere wondering if MS will try to cut the generation short to get another 360-like jump on Sony, or if there will even be another Xbox. The same questions that were popping up for Sony after their early last gen fumble with PS3. MS doesn't want to be associated with that. Again what company would?

Even though MS held it's ground this month in the U.S, I doubt MS is happy about things as they are right now or are considering this NPD win "a great victory".

Now I didn't want to be taken to MS vs Sony territory. I just don't believe slight 13k losses in NPD is enough to make Sony react with a price cut (my original point). I think the price cut has already been planned and I'm guessing the Paris event or TGS just in time for the holidays.

On the contrary, MS not doing anything remarkable, with no big release and coming on top for this month is probably being met favourably in Seattle. They didnt push for it this month it seems.

They'll do what they did last year to dominate later, with the added bonus of heavy hitters. Fully expect them to do the biggest numbers for consoles during xmas period.

Of course will not matter WW, but i believe MS key markets are US/UK which looks like theyre still investing a lot of effort in.

Hey, maybe you guys have a good point too. You don't need to be number one to make money. So maybe MS adjusted expectations and are happy being profitable.

Amazing the PS4 was only slightly behind this month and still sells for $50 more.

Fuck Konami

$50 cheaper is nearing the ball park to best represent the value to performance difference between the two. A further bone price drop will be the right price. Throw in Tomb Raider for free and I might get one for xmas.

Even if Xbox One had a year head start, it would still be in 2nd. Consumers decided the winner when the Xbox One was revealed. Too big of a hole to dig out of.

Raide

Even if Xbox One had a year head start, it would still be in 2nd. Consumers decided the winner when the Xbox One was revealed. Too big of a hole to dig out of.

If every Generation was 2 or 3 years long, then I would 100% agree. When they are 7-10, anything can happen. Its not like MS are doing terribly, so there is certainly room for them to improve.

Top Bottom