• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Square2005 said:
So now Wii is tracking behind GC...nice job NOA!

WORST AMERICAN NINTENDO LAUNCH SINCE TEH NES!!!
...and there was so much potential!

NOA IS GIVING NEXT-GEN TO MICROSOFT!
...stupid WW launch! if NCL had launched PAL in March (XB360 isn't a threat there) there wouldn't have been these shortages (sorry Euro. Nintendo fans)!!

They're repeating the same mistakes of the Gamecube!

(...and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy.)

Yeah, NoA is giving next-gen to Microsoft, the company which probably had the worst console launch sales in the first two months ever. The "console war" isn't being decided in the first two months and certainly not by 500k more or less available consoles.

And btw. in terms of Europe: Gamecube bombed pretty hard in Europe and Nintendo themselves see with DS that you can have great sales in Europe if you do the right moves. So simply doing the same bullshit again as last gen would have been about the dumbest move possible.

Frankfurter said:
Yeah, NoA is giving next-gen to Microsoft, the company which probably had the worst console launch sales in the first two months ever. The "console war" isn't being decided in the first two months and certainly not by 500k more or less available consoles.

And btw. in terms of Europe: Gamecube bombed pretty hard in Europe and Nintendo themselves see with DS that you can have great sales in Europe if you do the right moves. So simply doing the same bullshit again as last gen would have been about the dumbest move possible.

If the PS3 had launched in Europe like the 360 did, their numbers would be just as bad as MS's numbers were.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Less hardware sales December 2006 than December 2005: yes. But millions more PSP total than in December 2005.

So what you're trying to say is that by beating the NA and Japanese launches of PS3 by hundreds of thousands in each territory while additionally launching in Europe, by beating Microsoft's 2005 worldwide launch several times over, press and developers think Wii shipments are just a step above disaster. However, if they'd had the exact same number of hardware units allocated differently worldwide, they'd take it as a symbolic sign of resurrection?

They may have "beat" Sony and MS, but they are releasing 5 year old technology while their competitors are releasing cutting edge technology. When you look at it in this perspective, their supply issues are pretty embarrassing.

I was going to get a Wii during the holidays because it was the hot thing to get. I was unable to get one anywhere. Now that Christmas is over I could care less at this point. Anecdotal evidence I know, but Nintendo missed a big opportunity here.

Fady K said:
Its a sad thing really about the PSP software sales...the DS software sales are way ahead obviously. And this really sucks cause software-wise, this year ROCKED for the PSP JUST AS MUCH AS DS. People just wont buy the software. Is it the price of the PSP? Is it that its easy to find games for free online at some place and download the whole thing onto your memory stick? I dont know what it is, but it really sucks when the machine sells almost a million in a month and MGS: PO doesnt even rack up 500k in the US alone. Life is so unfair :lol
I think PSP has had a much better year than the DS, software wise IMO, but it's very disappointing to see PSP games not sell well. However, I pretty much know why they aren't selling. It's not really the price (for some it is, but people didn't seem upset about buying NFS Underground Rivals and a few others at launch, for $50), it has to do with firmware. Many people feel that they rather run homebrew crap (like roms and stuff) instead of buying the newest PSP games, so they stick to 1.5 firmware (when newer games force you to upgrade). Their seemed to be a huge downfall in PSP game sales ever since people were forced to upgrade their firmware. Many of those who only use their PSP for homebrew (I'm not talking about the small percentage who use Devhook), still own a few launch games that run off of 1.5. I remember hearing people hoping that SCEA wouldn't force a firmware upgrade on Greatest Hit games (for they can play them). Although I despise most homebrew, I feel Sony would be best off to not force people to upgrade their firmware (unless they want to use the new features for the PS3, like downloadable PS3 games). The way I see it, although people may be running stuff on their PSP Sony wouldn't want them too, at least they can still buy newer games (They may not buy many, but even if those people pick up 2-3 more games, that's a big help). The only other reason they should force an upgrade is to play games online (especially for beta testing).

Personally, I bought my PSP to play PSP games, which is why I always upgrade the firmware.

AniHawk

Mana Knight said:
I think PSP has had a much better year than the DS, software wise IMO, but it's very disappointing to see PSP games not sell well. However, I pretty much know why they aren't selling. It's not really the price (for some it is, but people didn't seem upset about buying NFS Underground Rivals and a few others at launch, for $50), it has to do with firmware. Many people feel that they rather run homebrew crap (like roms and stuff) instead of buying the newest PSP games, so they stick to 1.5 firmware (when newer games force you to upgrade). Their seemed to be a huge downfall in PSP game sales ever since people were forced to upgrade their firmware. Many of those who only use their PSP for homebrew (I'm not talking about the small percentage who use Devhook), still own a few launch games that run off of 1.5. I remember hearing people hoping that SCEA wouldn't force a firmware upgrade on Greatest Hit games (for they can play them). Although I despise most homebrew, I feel Sony would be best off to not force people to upgrade their firmware (unless they want to use the new features for the PS3, like downloadable PS3 games). The way I see it, although people may be running stuff on their PSP Sony wouldn't want them too, at least they can still buy newer games (They may not buy many, but even if those people pick up 2-3 more games, that's a big help). The only other reason they should force an upgrade is to play games online (especially for beta testing).
Homer.gif

rkenshin

Mana Knight said:

Personally, I bought my PSP to play PSP games, which is why I always upgrade the firmware.

You already state that a small percentage use or even have homebrew capable PSPs so this isn't even a problem..

The entire December for the PSP has units that can't do any homebrew, period.. (well not yet anyways)

Christopher

ok getting my PSP today so add "1" to those numbers <3. Oh and EB games have some of the nastiest "used" PSPs I've ever seen, but I suppose you get what you pay for, alas I guess I'll buy some screen protecters and all that jizz today.

ethelred

Christopher said:
ok getting my PSP today so add "1" to those numbers <3. Oh and EB games have some of the nastiest "used" PSPs I've ever seen, but I suppose you get what you pay for, alas I guess I'll buy some screen protecters and all that jizz today.

Joke's on you -- NPD doesn't count used sales.

AniHawk

Christopher said:

you...

you mean, "jazz," right? All that JAZZ.

I went back to my Best Buy this afternoon and there were 75 PS3s sitting on the show floor. My guess would be that they sold around 7 or 8 since Thursday afternoon.

Again, this is in the affluent Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta.

siamesedreamer said:
I went back to my Best Buy this afternoon and there were 75 PS3s sitting on the show floor. My guess would be that they sold around 7 or 8 since Thursday afternoon.

Again, this is in the affluent Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta.
and how many Wiis were available...?

Insertia

Wow, with the way everyone was saying Wii's were going I was expecting the system to do a million+.

For a handheald that's supposed to be dead PSP isn't that far behind DS. (i.e. stfu 1upyours).
And PS2 and 360 were the big suprises. The launch of two hyped new systems didn't flatten them.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Insertia said:
For a handheald that's supposed to be dead PSP isn't that far behind DS.
People who keep on saying that must've only been entering Japanese sales threads all year and wasn't here last December when PSP beat DS here in NA.

sangreal

rkenshin said:
The entire December for the PSP has units that can't do any homebrew, period.. (well not yet anyways)

That is not true. The TA-082 downgraded released late December opened most new PSPs and before that you could run homebrew using devhook.

I also don't believe the OP's point about forced upgrades stopping people from buying games. The latest custom firmware lets you run both 3.03 and 1.50 so you get the homebrew and could still play the latest retail games. Of course, most people I'm sure just pirate the games.

Deku

Banned
It would seem that now that we don't have the full NPD numbers, increasingly, people are living on their little islands of fantasy. The PSP software discussions are quite interesting for the fact that most of the assertions by Striek et al are just plain wrong. But of course, no one can prove them wrong now.

Fady K

AniHawk said:
Yeah, a difference of 650,000 isn't that bad at all.

Hell yeah it aint, when you're dealing with the behemoth that is Nintendo, its damn good enough. Were talking about handhelds here. Something Nintendos always been king of.

DS sold a lot better, PSP is defeated by it in every major region, by a wide margin in Japan as well. But hey, selling almost a million units in one month is far from dead. When its still expensive. When the DS is available and is more popular and cheaper. When two new consoles launch.

PSP aint got nothing on DS sales, but its no dead system.

*Hugs PSP <3 <3 <3

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
FirstInHell said:
They may have "beat" Sony and MS, but they are releasing 5 year old technology while their competitors are releasing cutting edge technology. When you look at it in this perspective, their supply issues are pretty embarrassing.

Nintendo's had shortages with the DS, and that's what...11 year old technology? Yes, not having a particularly advanced hardware benefited their worldwide launch (a first with this kind of volume), but it's not like they can all of a sudden produce millions of them every week. The question is how many can be produced now without having to commit to overproducing them later. They can't open new factories and then just close them; systems would have to continue being made. Also Nintendo only makes so many different products, so they couldn't manage them quite like Sony could if things got out of hand. Right now Nintendo is probably at their highest capacity overall, both with the DS, Wii and GBA. I don’t think it’s embarrassing at all.

AniHawk

Fady K said:

The hardware keeps selling, but the software is doing pretty awful. I wouldn't be surprised if VCS was barely over 100k for the month of December.

Xeke

Banned
Fady K said:
Hell yeah it aint, when you're dealing with the behemoth that is Nintendo, its damn good enough. Were talking about handhelds here. Something Nintendos always been king of.

DS sold a lot better, PSP is defeated by it in every major region, by a wide margin in Japan as well. But hey, selling almost a million units in one month is far from dead. When its still expensive. When the DS is available and is more popular and cheaper. When two new consoles launch.

*Hugs PSP <3 <3 <3

As was said many times already, you are aware that it sold LESS this year than last year when it outsold the DS over the same period?

The hardware keeps selling, but the software is doing pretty awful. I wouldn't be surprised if VCS was barely over 100k for the month of December.

Thats another important point.

ethelred

AniHawk said:

Well, we know it's been out two months now and hasn't managed to crack 300,000. That's certainly not good, given the series' overall popularity and even how its predecessor on the PSP sold.

AniHawk

ethelred said:
Well, we know it's been out two months now and hasn't managed to crack 300,000. That's certainly not good, given the series' overall popularity and even how its predecessor on the PSP sold.

It didn't even crack 300k?? Yikes. That's really bad. Especially since it's the top franchise on the system.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
No. Portrait of Ruin did very well actually.

I'm rather curious how it sold in comparison to Portable Ops, Konami's other big portable release in December. I don't know how the two did, but wouldn't it be weird if a niche game like CV outsold a huge release like Metal Gear?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
ethelred said:
I'm rather curious how it sold in comparison to Portable Ops, Konami's other big portable release in December. I don't know how the two did, but wouldn't it be weird if a niche game like CV outsold a huge release like Metal Gear?
I'd bet nearly £30,000 that it did

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Indeed. :D

PSP certainly isn't dead, but for gosh sakes does it's software do bad.

As far as having a better year than the Ds in terms of software, they both had great years

MGSPO, SOCOM 2, Killzone, Tekken, Ace Combat, Locoroco, MGSPO, Valkyre, Tales of the World, Daxter, GTA VCS

There was A LOT for PSP owners this year, and yet they barely pick up the titles

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
bunkum answered that question before he left.

The NPD ban at first confused me as to why we were happy with their negotiations, but just like my moms old question:

"Can Vicki Please Order Rice?"

You just have to sit back and understand why they do what they do. And once you take a real hard look, you can understand and appreciate what's been given to you.

In other news we need to stop worrying about sales, and start worrying about our climate. The title says it all
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/16/AR2005111602197.html

I don't know, I'm mentally tired from MC

Square2005 said:
...we'll see what happens in January but the month is half over and still we have Wii shortages (just like GC). Has anyone seen wiis readily available yet? I believe last Sunday's ads were still hesitant to advertise the Wii.
Considering December was 5 weeks and January is 4 weeks, each January week need only provide something like 1/8 the supply of a December week to beat the GCN's January 2002 number. If each January week can even supply 1/3 the units of the average December week, it should be about caught up with GCN's three month total. That said I have no clue how shipments of these past two weeks compare with December.

Let us consider some lowball numbers. Say Nintendo can supply only 2 million Wii worlwide in the first 3 months of the year. Say only 1/3 of those go to North America. Say 85% of that supply goes to the US. Due to some being in transit, lack of 100% perfect tracking, and even lack of 100% sell-through, say only 80% of that amount is counted as sold by NPD. That would still work out to NPD numbers for January-March being something like 453K, significantly more than what GameCube's Q1 2002 numbers.

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Double standard much??

99.9% of PS3's were sold and 100% of Wii's were sold, but somehow the Wii's number is excusable by shortages buy Sony's isn't?

I'm not saying that the Wii demand isn't stronger. It obviously is, but when you have them sold out, all you have are shipment numbers on both sides.

Weird month. I wish I could have participated more, but tonight was a mess. I'll post some more numbers tomorrow and we'll have some fun.

sonycowboy
cocktease

Top Bottom