• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

sangreal said:
Enough with the stupid $500M number. Do you guys even know where that number comes from?

Here (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=):

Do you see the number $500M in there anywhere? No. So where does it come from?

Errrr... second line of the article;
Microsoft is gearing up for a massive marketing push to launch Kinect -- a controller-free Wii-killer for the Xbox -- and blow away the competition come Christmas.

Backed by a half-billion-dollar budget, the tech giant is rolling out a major movie-style marketing blitz aimed at driving its motion-sensing device to the top of holiday wish lists.

sangreal said:
Very good, now tell us where the reporter got that figure from.

Hint: She tells us later in the article and I already quoted it.

I assume the New York Post fact checks the (many) other facts stated in that article that are also not explicitly sourced;
- plans were made 18 months ago with the assistance of stephen spielberg
- Xbox marketing included hardware subsidies
- 400 million cans of pepsi will carry advertising
- 60 million kellogs boxes will carry advertising
- TV spots are created by AgencyTwoFifteen
etc etc etc.

Seriously dude?

The source of the $500m figure isn't cited anywhere, nor are any of the above statements, or any of the other statements made in that article I didn't bother listing.

If the source or the data was in some way erroneous, there would have been a clarification, it's not like Ms don't have entire teams of marketers, PR and legal to make sure public statements made about them as a company are legitimate.

Fredescu

Haunted said:
I said you all are arguing along a scale.

The 500 million marketing budget:

Did not matter <---------------> is the sole reason for success.

The two extremes are literally the only indefensible positions in this argument, that's why both groups are attempting to peg the other as saying this.
I think this bears repeating.

Sydle

sangreal said:
Enough with the stupid $500M number. Do you guys even know where that number comes from?

Here (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=):

Do you see the number $500M in there anywhere? No. So where does it come from?

Okay, so it is 'bigger' than the launch of the Xbox. How does that turn into $500M? The NYPost gets that figure from:

Okay, so Microsoft spent more than $500M launching the Xbox including subsidies. However, let us pretend that they really did spend $500M entirely on advertising to launch the X-box and that they are spending more on advertising to launch the Kinect. What does launch mean in this context? Let us go back to 2000 and find out:

http://news.cnet.com/Microsoft-to-spend-500-million-on-Xbox-launch/2100-1040_3-243763.html

So in short, this entire $500M bullshit comes from the fact that Robbie Bach said in 2000 that he could see them spending half a billion dollars over 18 months to launch the X-box, and someone said recently that the Kinect launch will be bigger than the X-box.

Also, pay no attention to the massive Windows Phone 7 marketing campaign which didn't generate Kinect numbers

Thanks for this, I didn't know the origins of the number.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Karma said:
Dont see that happening for a very long time.

You are probably right. :)

DA is still superior for many other things. Like camera control in third person games. Games like skate and fight night are some of the best examples of games designed with DA in mind and they work excellently.

The ideal device should have two sticks in addition to a pointer, but that wouldn't be very user friendly. :p

Smooth transition back to sales....
curious to see Wii COD:BO and goldeneye numbers

Fredescu

Paco said:
Thanks for this, I didn't know the origins of the number.
That article has been quoted several times in this thread. People are getting pretty desperate to downplay that marketing budget. I guess they see it as an attack on the quality of the device, which is why I quoted Haunted's post. This is rarely anyone's position.

donny2112

amtentori said:
fps and other 'core' genres are usually showcases of graphical fidelity, online MP is popular, etc so #3 is probably the most important.
phisheep said:
I won't rise to the bait on your earlier point - sure others will do that.

I'm not sure what the bait is. I thought it was accepted that FPS were generally the way to show off upgraded graphics/technology in the PC space, which would've carried over since a lot of the console FPS developers are transplanted PC developers. Online being a longtime mainstay of PC development would follow the same reasoning.

In a way, auto-aim/dual analog is the way to bring an "expanded audience" to the FPS genre. Instead of requiring the top of the line games to have the newest graphics card and fancy mice, they "dumbed" it down to work on a console with analog sticks.

Very ironic. :)

Fredescu said:
That article has been quoted several times in this thread. People are getting pretty desperate to downplay that marketing budget. I guess they see it as an attack on the quality of the device, which is why I quoted Haunted's post. This is rarely anyone's position.

Nobody is desperate, it's only when people keep saying Kinect success was because of 500million advertisement.

TheOddOne

Fredescu said:
There are different sides to every argument.

a) People discuss that word of mouth, the product, marketing and some of the software (Kinect Sport, Dance Central) alle played key roles in Kinects out of the gate performance. That 500 million tag also help boost the 360 and software sales.

b) People argue that 500 million was the only reason it has sold that much, the other aspects didn't play a role.

shintoki said:
This isn't a discredit at Kinect, but 500mil will sell just about anything.
shintoki said:

These two posts juxtaposed point out the flaws of your position, though. The Wii didn't sell because it was advertised heavily. In fact, I think any person who suggested so would (now) be rightly pilloried for advocating such an absurd argument. Yet the precise equivalent of that argument (along with the similarly equivalent "Wii is a fad" argument) is now offered seriously, with no consideration for what the parallel tells us about its problems.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Your premise really tries to negate many principles of fashion/marketing research. From what I see, it seems you are equating advertising to only about be about informing.

I'm taking a holistic view of product and marketing as inextricably intertwined rather than one in which they're entirely unrelated. Yes, quite a bit of marketing is devoted to implicit claims of specific emotional or social benefits to a product that are abstract and unverifiable ("it's fun! it'll make you cool!" etc.) but ultimately, the marketing message for a product originates with the product itself. Kinect's marketing is all about convincing people that they'll have fun with their family by buying one, but the marketing message is conveyed by showing people what sort of things they'll do with the product (and, rather importantly, by providing a lot of hands-on opportunities for people to try these things themselves.)

The undercurrent of every comment where the marketing budget is brought up is the idea that people are being misled or tricked by this marketing expenditure, but the Kinect marketing is actually quite straightforward in terms of what the product provides (certainly no one is being fooled on that level) and the post-purchase reactions we've received to date certainly suggest that even the implicit aspect where the advertisements promise people "fun" are not inaccurate. As such, it's really hard for me to see the relevance of the marketing budget at all in any context besides "this shows that Microsoft was fully committed to this product" -- it's certainly not an interesting factor to discuss in terms of the product's success.

mm04

charlequin said:
The undercurrent of every comment where the marketing budget is brought up is the idea that people are being misled or tricked by this marketing expenditure, but the Kinect marketing is actually quite straightforward in terms of what the product provides (certainly no one is being fooled on that level) and the post-purchase reactions we've received to date certainly suggest that even the implicit aspect where the advertisements promise people "fun" are not inaccurate. As such, it's really hard for me to see the relevance of the marketing budget at all in any context besides "this shows that Microsoft was fully committed to this product" -- it's certainly not an interesting factor to discuss in terms of the product's success.

This is the crux of most arguments about Kinect and its marketing budget/success. Like some sort of Jedi Mind Trick in the form of $500 million has somehow fooled people into buying this product which insinuates it is broken and is not fun to use. This wasn't some bait and switch ad campaign of dishonesty. All it's doing is increasing consumer awareness. It's up to the consumer to actually make the purchase. I'm still waiting for that flood of reports of returns because of space requirement issues as well.

charlequin said:
exactly. yes, they marketed the hell out of the product, but what they showed was the actual product. they didn't advertise any capability that it didn't have, and if you look carefully in the bits that show people moving at the same time as onscreen footage, you can even see the slight lag.

microsoft ran a smart marketing campaign. they targeted the right buyers. they created an excitement for the product AS IS, rather than for what it might be or an idealised version of it, or focussing on what it wasn't. yes, they spent lots of money, but that doesn't take away the fact that they ran a great campaign.

it does bother me that people talk about the half billion as if microsoft were just throwing stuff at a wall hoping it would stick. they weren't. their adverts clearly demonstrated what their hardware could do and made it look fun, and their marketing was aimed at the right people.

if people seriously want to break down why Kinect's marketing campaign worked and Move's campaign didn't i'd happily engage in that discussion, but no one seems interested in it.

Sony could have doubled or tripled their spend on tv commercial time and it likely wouldn't have sold many more Move's. if Microsoft for some reason had had to go $1 for $1 against Sony, i don't think things would have turned out much differently. they'd have sold less than they did i think, but they'd probably still have easily met their goal of 5 million units.

even if Microsoft had bought one third of the advertising time, their adverts would still have been categorically better in every category that mattered.

and of course we don't know what Sony spent advertising Move and PS3 through the season, so that figure is essentially meaningless unless we know exactly how much more MS spent than Sony.

charlequin said:
If you want to dispel the ridiculous notion of "$500m = instant mega-success", just point to Windows Phone 7. It too had a $500m marketing budget, and the only result that Microsoft was willing to release? 1.5 million handsets sold... to carriers and retailers. While not a failure, its launch was not exactly lighting up the charts, and it still faces an uphill battle against Android and iOS.

Opiate

I strongly agree with Charlequin. I would add this: the best evidence for/against the relevance of marketing will be long term success.

Products that have legs may or may not have had large advertising budgets at their launch: what they commonly share is strong word of mouth among purchasing consumers. In fact, if word of mouth is non-existant or negative, this typically has the opposite effect: sales are stunted and slow to a trickle rather rapidly.

Thus far -- mostly anecdotally -- Kinect seems to have strong word of mouth and very positive consumer response. If that holds, then Kinect should continue to sell well in to the new year.

If you're looking for evidence that Kinect is driven by product quality, long term sales are likely the best evidence you'll get. That's not absolute and conclusive evidence (what ever is?) but it's fairly strong evidence in an otherwise completely unquantifiable field. I'm very eager to see 360's hardware sales in Jan-June: obviously they'll be down compared to Christmas, but I'd be interested to see how they compare YoY. If 360 hardware sales are significantly up over last year at the same time (say, by a double digit percentage), then I think it's fair to say that Kinect is sustaining growth of the 360 brand over time, even once the marketing explosion ceases.

donny2112

Opiate said:
I'm very eager to see 360's hardware sales in Jan-June: obviously they'll be down compared to Christmas, but I'd be interested to see how they compare YoY. If 360 hardware sales are significantly up over last year at the same time (say, by a double digit percentage), then I think it's fair to say that Kinect is sustaining growth of the 360 brand over time, even once the marketing explosion ceases.

Causal fallacy. There's still the fact that the Slim model is new. After Slim and prior to Kinect's launch, the 360 was up anywhere from 30-119% YOY with 30% being in October just prior to Kinect's launch. Starting with PS3 Slim's first full month (and $100 price cut, obviously), it was up a minimum of 30% YOY through April 2010. Obviously you can't pull out the redesign's affect from the price cut to determine the individual impact, but you also can't pull out Kinect's impact versus the Slim redesign, either. A possible proxy is if Pachter keeps telling us how many 360's were bundles, but that's still not a 100% connection to draw.

In short, don't see 360 double digit increases YOY and say that it's Kinect driving sales without, at least, some other corroborating data to point to.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
"if people seriously want to break down why Kinect's marketing campaign worked and Move's campaign didn't i'd happily engage in that discussion, but no one seems interested in it."
I'd love to.

This thread has had a lot of back and forth from both extremes. Someone can say that it sold just because of the advertising and another it would have sold that well with any advertising and it doesn't matter because they're both discussing fiction.

The importance of marketing should be downplay though. It doesn't trick people per-say, but it is suppose to generate attention and sway perceptions that the product wouldn't do on its own. $500 million dollars is huge amount to spend for this industry, especially on an accessory. You can squabble about the exact amounts but between the comments made from within in MS and the campaign we saw laid out, its very difficult to deny this Kinect had one of (if not the) most expensive marketing campaigns this industry has ever seen.

MS made a wonderful campaign. It was probably the best I've ever seen and they ran it non-stop. They made Sony look like they weren't even trying. Personally, I'm not sure they are. It seems to me that they confused their fans reaction to Kevin Butler, with how the rest of the world would take it. They felt like a completely different company from 2009.

The tensions between Sony fans and MS fans is high right now (and always). The Kinect's success is being overstated a bit. We're discussing worldwide shipment numbers in a December USA sales thread and contrasting that with a lack of any information about Move. The only sales information we have on Kinect in December are wonky-math percentages that put it around a million sold as a hardware bundle (stand-alone sales should more than double that, but its only speculation), and Move at about 250k in hardware bundles. The sales for Dance Central and Kinect Sport are only between 650k-900k for the month. These really aren't mind-blowing results.

For comparison, Just Dance 2 would have sold over 2 million (probably somewhere between 2.5 and 3 million), and both those Kinect games were outsold by Michael Jackson's Experience and Udraw. In December 2009 Wii Fit Plus sold 2.4 million and Wii Sports Resort (Motion Plus) sold 1.8 million.

JJConrad said:
For comparison, Just Dance 2 would have sold over 2 million (probably somewhere between 2.5 and 3 million), and both those Kinect games were outsold by Michael Jackson's Experience and Udraw. In December 2009 Wii Fit Plus sold 2.4 million and Wii Sports Resort (Motion Plus) sold 1.8 million.

That's a rather pointless comparison considering the vast difference in install base between the Wii and Kinect.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Basileus777 said:
That's a rather pointless comparison considering the vast difference in install base between the Wii and Kinect.
Just Dance and Michael Jackson are mentioned because of the praise Dance Central's sales seems to receiving. It was only the 3rd best selling dance game. Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, and Udraw are all accessories in this motion-controller debate and are fair comparisons.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If people are still doubting that marketing budget, I can confirm it.
It's not all spent for week 1 launch though, it's pretty comprehensive.

JJConrad said:
Just Dance and Michael Jackson are mentioned because of the praise Dance Central's sales seems to receiving. It was only the 3rd best selling dance game. Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, and Udraw are all accessories in this motion-controller debate and are fair comparisons.
JJConrad
Sucks at viral marketing
(Today, 01:24 PM)
Reply | Quote

The other people are correct, I think. Install base has to be considered before making a direct comparison.

JJConrad said:

But there's like a 60% disparity in Userbases.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Opiate said:
I strongly agree with Charlequin. I would add this: the best evidence for/against the relevance of marketing will be long term success.

Products that have legs may or may not have had large advertising budgets at their launch: what they commonly share is strong word of mouth among purchasing consumers. In fact, if word of mouth is non-existant or negative, this typically has the opposite effect: sales are stunted and slow to a trickle rather rapidly.

Thus far -- mostly anecdotally -- Kinect seems to have strong word of mouth and very positive consumer response. If that holds, then Kinect should continue to sell well in to the new year.

If you're looking for evidence that Kinect is driven by product quality, long term sales are likely the best evidence you'll get. That's not absolute and conclusive evidence (what ever is?) but it's fairly strong evidence in an otherwise completely unquantifiable field. I'm very eager to see 360's hardware sales in Jan-June: obviously they'll be down compared to Christmas, but I'd be interested to see how they compare YoY. If 360 hardware sales are significantly up over last year at the same time (say, by a double digit percentage), then I think it's fair to say that Kinect is sustaining growth of the 360 brand over time, even once the marketing explosion ceases.
I agree, but I don't think we ever get enough information to really know. MS will only give shipped numbers and are already using a shortage excuse and then hardware and accessory numbers are split and we never get an actual number are either.

TheOddOne

charlequin said:
I'm taking a holistic view of product and marketing as inextricably intertwined rather than one in which they're entirely unrelated. Yes, quite a bit of marketing is devoted to implicit claims of specific emotional or social benefits to a product that are abstract and unverifiable ("it's fun! it'll make you cool!" etc.) but ultimately, the marketing message for a product originates with the product itself. Kinect's marketing is all about convincing people that they'll have fun with their family by buying one, but the marketing message is conveyed by showing people what sort of things they'll do with the product (and, rather importantly, by providing a lot of hands-on opportunities for people to try these things themselves.)

This is a excellent post and should rightfully be quoted.

fernoca

Guess I'm off-topic, so...
Epic Mickey numbers really came out of nowhere. I was expecting the game to either miss the top 10 (third parties don't sell on Wii excuse, exclusive Wii release, holiday period, bunch of big releases, NPD reporting combined sales); so seeing it there and then seeing it with over 1.3 million copies was quite a shocker.

Kinect Sports and Dance Central being at over a million already in the US was surprising too and the comments talking about how each sold more than GT5 was even surprising too. Though, I think GT5 is selling just fine. Maybe it was because many were expecting even higher sales; but then again nearly a million copies in technically in around 1 month (2 NPDs reporting period, around 35 days of sales) of a "realistic racing simulator" in one region; while not as big as expected is still quite nice. Probably not "Gran Turismo franchise nice" to many, but still nice.

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/19/bloggers-thrash-appl.html
Bloggers thrash Apple analysts at predicting stuff
Rob Beschizza at 12:15 PM Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011

zMF2d.png

Quoting analysts is a common way to make tech news look less driven by opinion or corporate PR: the analyst gets identified as an expert and the reporter gets a second source. But the deal is a rotten one, because analysts often seem no more aware of industry goings-on than the reporters who quote them.

Now, if that were true, you'd expect some objective survey of professional analysts' predictions to come out no better than that of bloggers. Perhaps a couple of brilliant ones would kick ass and justify the herd's status as dispensers of wisdom for media and investors.

Turns out that the pros are, according to Fortune, almost all worse than amateurs. The difference is so stark it can hardly be accounted for by chance: either Fortune's methodology was contrived to make them look bad, or professional analysts have a systematic bias toward saying things that turn out to be inaccurate.
So can GAF beat all the videogame analysts? Even those not as bad as Pachter?

If Sony had spent the same amount of money on advertising on Move that MS did on Kinect (and none of us really know the real figures for either's marketing this fall, they could be fairly close to each other), I very much doubt Move would have sold that many more units.

Move just isn't a compelling peripheral. It is too derivative of the Wii control scheme..been there done that. The public wasn't interested.

Busaiku

Some numbers/info from Invisible Walls again.
100 games sold over 100k.

13 Wii games in top 30.
8 360 games in top 30.
5 PS3 games in top 30
4 DS games in top 30.
3 PSP games in top 200.

No Move games in the top 30.
3 or 4 Kinect games in top 30.

Just Dance 2 - ~2 million
Donkey Kong Country Returns - 1.344 million
Super Mario All Stars - ~500k
God of War Ghost of Sparta - About 100k-150k LTD?
uDraw Studio - ~600k LTD

GBA - 42
GCN - 2
DS - 2,512,317
PS2 - 75,428
PS3 - 1,209,660
PSP - 428,566
Wii - 2,355,151
X-Box - 0
360 - 1,856,438

Penguin

Busaiku said:

13 Wii games in top 30.
8 360 games in top 30.
5 PS3 games in top 30
4 DS games in top 30.
3 PSP games in top 200.

God of War Ghost of Sparta - About 100k-150k/roughly 10% as much as Chains of Olympus's first 2 months

GBA - 42
GCN - 2
DS - 2,512,317
PS2 - 75,428
PS3 - 1,209,660
PSP - 428,566
Wii - 2,355,151
X-Box - 0
360 - 1,856,438

Seems like a lot of games did well
Though wonder how many were on discount.

That takes Donkey Kong to just under 1.8 million in the US so far. It should pass 2 million in January. What a fantastic result for a terrific game.

Busaiku said:

13 Wii games in top 30.
8 360 games in top 30.
5 PS3 games in top 30
4 DS games in top 30.
3 PSP games in top 200.

God of War Ghost of Sparta - About 100k-150k/roughly 10% as much as Chains of Olympus's first 2 months

Hahahaha... damn! that should about wrap it up for PSP in America. What a weird position for Sony to be in... PSP is doing relatively well in Japan, but is at best a zombie platform in the US.

And the Wii software did really well for the month. Very impressive. Love that DKCR is so well received!

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
That's good

I don't understand this, is it just like some out in the middle of nowhere 42 new GBA and 2 new GCN's have been sitting on shelves for 5-6 years and they somehow finally got purchased?

They were probably sold in Oklahoma. Technology is 10 years behind over there.

Celine

Busaiku said:

13 Wii games in top 30.
8 360 games in top 30.
5 PS3 games in top 30
4 DS games in top 30.
3 PSP games in top 200.

GBA - 42
GCN - 2
DS - 2,512,317
PS2 - 75,428
PS3 - 1,209,660
PSP - 428,566
Wii - 2,355,151
X-Box - 0
360 - 1,856,438
Great breakdown, thanks.

DarkMehm said:
How can 100-150k be 10% of what CoO did in 2 months? I doubt it did 1 - 1.5 million in that time period.
What I was wondering, maybe they are considering the quantities bundled with the hardware ...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dabanton said:
Now that's just embarrassing.

That's the problem with the Move line up, there really aren't any games that anyone could realistically expect to hit the top 30. Shit, I would be downright SHOCKED if one of them did. Sports Champions is probably in the most homes, but that's only because it's bundled into the Move/PS Eye package. The rest of the Move games are very forgettable, none of them do much to show off the tech or really do anything to push motion controls. There was no chance of any of those launch line up games to make an impact.

2011 might be brighter, but as of now, there are only a few cool PSN games that put anything behind the Move. It's a fuckin great tech, but without any noteworthy games, it's just some goofy dusty thing hanging from retail shelves with no one to give a shit about it. I expect it to get a little boost from some of the BFD PS3 games like KZ3, but as of now I don't have high hopes about any new, noteworthy games being built from the ground up for it. I guess the best thing Sony can expect is to carry it on to the PS4 as a standard packaged in controller, but I don't see a bright future for it this gen (at least sales-wise).

Road

DarkMehm said:
How can 100-150k be 10% of what CoO did in 2 months? I doubt it did 1 - 1.5 million in that time period.
Yeah, it'd make more sense if it were 10% of CoO's LTD or another percentage (CoO sold ~400k in the first two months).

Top Bottom