• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And you know this from what numbers? You could also argue that it sells more units because it is on sale.

Wii U might have some momentum for a year but the Vita outsold it for many periods before and we do have numbers for that, just look up the old Nintendo investor relations material. I don't think this 1 year was enough to pull in front of the Vita in Europe given the headstart and the better sales of the Vita for quite some time.

Ehh we're talking about 2 dead platforms in Europe neither of which are selling well r healthy by any stretch of the imagination, consider both platforms are selling so badly minor bumps make a bigger impact so it's highly likely the Wii u has been outselling the vita during the periods MK8 and SSB4 released whether those bumps made up any gaps or if there's any gaps currently is anyones guss but I highly doubt there's a gulf between the two's sales. Even taking into account vita's more digital focused sales, Vitals retail presence in Europe is none existent and it's games rarely if ever chart outside of minecraft which has also generally disappeared.

I think you have an error in your data, cream. You missed one zero. DC should be at 840k with the amount of hype, posts and gifs generated here on NeoGAF. 84k is the amount of vivek's posts only :p

LOL - but the weather

fwyqJ.gif

Dreamcast final total (28 months): ~4.1 million

Wii U current total (26 months): ~3.7 million

Wii U should beat the Dreamcast this year, in six months or so.

And for the curious, Gamecube after 26 months: ~6.7 million

GCN did 1.163 million in its 3rd Dec. It was the price cut to 99 nevertheless WiiU is not going to catch up unless.

Mushroom ~ 250k
HD remix ~ 275k
Retro remix total ~ 130k
Open world racing game > 300k (4>1>360)

Wow KH 2.5 did well despite being a PS3 exclusive.

Don't be surprised if / when we get Kingdom Hearts HD on Xbone / PS4

Since FFX HD on PS4 is real, I'm sure they will do a Kh collection.....and a FF12 HD remaster.

okay. i'm hiding exact numbers in random linked pokemon videos next month.

this month i'm too damn busy. the gfk group can deal.

ps4 - 1.07 million

hi chartz
neogaf is more fun <3

PS4's US sales only account for 35-40% of its WW sales? Thats pretty crazy when you consider its not doing well in Japan. EU must be massive for PS4.

Musou Zelda did great; most likely 400k with digital sales - Koei Tecmo must be pleased.

Donkey Kong is going to struggle to reach 1 million WW with Japan only at 100k ;.;

Tecmo hoped to sell 1 million WW lol. Did much better in US than I expected.

MC < 330k
FH2 > 325k
SO > 280k

ISS > 800k
TLOUR ~ > 650k
MC > 250k
LBP3 ~ 240k
DC: 84k

errr how

Well its support in Japan is starting to die out, and the xmas sales of the Vita were fairly bad, but let's not go there since that's been overdone anyhow.

It is? SE just announced SaGa for it.

Kayant

That difference doesn't seem bad for Sony given November and they are still in a healthy lead for now. Although they definitely shouldn't give MS a chance like this again next holidays and should try to be more competitive even though they don't need to win the US they do need to stay close to MS.

Should be interesting to see how the XB1's price cut works out this year and if keeps it leading month to month or will the Last of Us pack in be enough for Sony to lead again?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At this point, I'd like to know how much Assassin's Creed: Unity sold. The only info we got is that no SKU was in the individual Top 10 for whole 2014, but with a minimum of 1 million, it's quite vague XD

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
~2.5 million amiibos sold? better start remanufacturing those Wii fit trainers, Villagers and Marths.

Super happy for goat fighter/brawler/party game/drunk game SUPER SMASH BROS! Everyone needs a bit of Smashiness in their life

On top of that it looks like both handhelds had a a great December too! Awesome. 150K for Vita is perhaps even more impressing than 3DS doing over 800K all things considered. Good for you, you cute little failure.

At this point, I'd like to know how much Assassin's Creed: Unity sold. The only info we got is that no SKU was in the individual Top 10 for whole 2014, but with a minimum of 1 million, it's quite vague XD

the reason ac unity isn't in the top 10 is because the majority of its december 2014 sales were realised in the xbox one assassin's creed unity bundle

ac unity > gta v when you include the bundle units for both

CozMick

Banned
So if Xbox One sold >1.2 million this month then they can't be anywhere near 10 miliion sold-through WW.

6.2 million in the US, 3.3 million RoW

Maybe 9.5 million?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
the reason ac unity isn't in the top 10 is because the majority of its december 2014 sales were realised in the xbox one assassin's creed unity bundle

It seems Ubisoft must thanks the deal with MS and the insane deals Xbox One had during the Holidays. Without that combination, its numbers would have been way worse. It was around 700,000 outside of bundles in November, right?

deleted

Other 2014 new games, no bundle, with special edition.

Yoshi > 400k
Friends ~ 400k
Kirby: > 360k
BD > 350k
FL: 142k
Golf: 102k
PVP: 73k
Sonic 3DS: 73k

DKC: > 440k
Musou ~ 370k
B2 < 135k
Sonic WiiU: 68k

Do we know anything about the European numbers for Zelda? For some reason I would love this game to crack the million number. It did around 100k in Japan, right?
So that leaves roughly 500k for digital, Europe and the rest of the world. Is that realistic?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
2014 new game LTP, no bundle, no special edition

360 COD > 2M
XBO COD < 2M
PS4 COD
3DS SSB > 1.7M
NWU MK8 < 1.5M
XBO D
360 M15
PS3 COD
3DS POKEMON O
3DS POKEMON A
XBO T
NWU SSB
PS4 D
PS4 V
360 D
XBO COLLECTION
PS4 M15
XBO V > 1M

Given the big gap in HW sales, Wii U did pretty well to have two games in there, with MK8 surpassed only by COD and SSB 3ds.

Sounds like Ubisoft won December... they would have been in a pretty tight spot if Microsoft had stuck with 500USD or even 400USD.

Do we know anything about the European numbers for Zelda? For some reason I would love this game to crack the million number. It did around 100k in Japan, right?
So that leaves roughly 500k for digital, Europe and the rest of the world. Is that realistic?

No.

WiiU does so much worse in EU. Its install base is notably less than half of the US install base ( <1.5 million most likely). HW would of performed the worst in that region.

Felessan

Yes I agree with that. But Sony will need to react in some fashion to not let the Xbox One race too far ahead in NA, a very important market.
PS4 still leading and it'll take some time for XB1 to close the gap, I expect it to take around half an year at best.
And in the summer/early autumn I would expect some kind of pricedrop regardless of XB1 situation as it'll be almost 2 years since console launch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Xbone really reacted to MS strategies, and this is another good month for them in the US: I wonder if Sony will react too, considering how it's triumphal race was somehoe affected (in the US) in the last couple of month.
I was expecting more from the two leaders, I still remember the 4 millions Wii sold back in the day in one december in the US, and PS4 was somehow performing Wii-like for a certain period.
Wii U best month, still low but at least positive, let's see if they will be able to sustain a price cut in '15 to keep sales in line with '14 (so higher than '13), despite not having smash or kart. Softwares that performed really well: that, plus amiibos revenues, should at least push the main financial issues behind.
Smash good also on 3DS, with the console being still able to seel more than decently, compared to the two leaders, considering it is its 4th Holidays, with the New3DS incoming (and it was well know before the Holidays).

Celine

-In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.
-In 2014, the top 15 best-selling hand-held titles were all released on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
Another way if saying that the best selling Vita game in US this year sold less than 250K.

Unless the 16th best selling game is a DS game lol

driver116

Correction M.S. hail Mary play benefited them. Sony wasn't complacent, they had bundles aswell just not the crazy fire sales MS had which the HAD to do.

Thought the GTA bundle would be enough, which also went on sale pretty late. It's like they did the bare minimum for BF and Christmas.

Also, all this dick waving from Microsoft is pretty intolerable. They sold the Xbone like dirt and then thanking the 'fans' for their dedication.

Maitiú

Correction M.S. hail Mary play benefited them. Sony wasn't complacent, they had bundles aswell just not the crazy fire sales MS had which the HAD to do.

You're both right, but Sony's bundles were dull compared to Xbox One - two remasters of games millions of people already played last gen, and just months ago at that. Luckily I got in on the non-bundled $329 tax-free and free shipping PS4 deal from newegg, otherwise I wouldn't own a PS4 yet. Sony cruised by with just their momentum this holiday and banked a lot more profit.

Thought the GTA bundle would be enough, which also went on sale pretty late. It's like they did the bare minimum for BF and Christmas.

Also, all this dick waving from Microsoft is pretty intolerable. They sold the Xbone like dirt and then thanking the 'fans' for their dedication.

What dick waving? Its just a regular ole NPD press statement.

I think your feelings are hurt. :D

Dick waving? Come on, don't let personal feelings get in the way of what's really there...it's a bog standard press release. There's nothing in there that appears to be them 'dick waving' or trying to rub the win in anyone's faces.

deleted

Another way if saying that the best selling Vita game in US this year sold less than 250K.

Unless the 16th best selling game is a DS game lol

Doesn't this mean that the best selling vita game sold more than 250k? Top 15 = 3DS and another 3DS game over 250k means the game in between must have sold over 250k too, right?
unless that game is a DS game

Edit. nevermind, it's frozen

No.

WiiU does so much worse in EU. Its install base is notably less than half of the US install base ( <1.5 million most likely). HW would of performed the worst in that region.

Is that still the case? I thought that was mostly shipment in mid 2013, because of the massive overshipment during the launch period.
France and Germany seem good enough for where the Wii U is at right now, is it that much worse in the rest of Europe?

Yes, HW did > 115K in Japana (Famitsu).

Okay, so that's 485k + digital + whatever Europe and the Rest of the World did. I guess a million in 2014 is not possible then. Did it perform to Tecmos expectations or did it underperform?

Maitiú;147711362 said:
You're both right, but Sony's bundles were dull compared to Xbox One - two remasters of games millions of people already played last gen, and just months ago at that. Luckily I got in on the non-bundled $329 tax-free and free shipping PS4 deal from newegg, otherwise I wouldn't own a PS4 yet. Sony cruised by with just their momentum this holiday and banked a lot more profit.

To be fair,two of Sony's big marketing partners who was supposed to be their fall marketing flagship played them like a damn fiddle.

Batman and Hardline got delayed after all.

Fady K

Sony has internal targets. They are not gonna react because the XBOX1 outsold the PS4. They are most likely gonna act when sales starts slowing down and no longer meets their internal targets.

PS4 LTD in the US is about 6.7M. While their LTD is 18.5M. So the US only accounts for about 36%.
While the XBOX1 is at about 6.2M in the US. Since we don't know the XBOX1 WW numbers, let say they sold about 10.5M. That would put the US ratio at 59%.

The US is very very important for MS, but to Sony, it's roughly only 1/3 of the market. It's important, but not something they have to react to MS just cause they got outsold the last 2 months.

That is a great point Superman00. Makes more sense.

I guess it depends as well on how large the gap between the Xbox One and the PS4 become in the US. If say the Xbox One is at 12m US and the PS4 at 9m I guess Sony will have to take it more seriously.

Indeed... If Sony does need to react more than they already have, it will probably be in March since knowing how well the XB1 has sold in January and especially February would give a clearer sign on if Sony should drop price in March or just wait until either E3 or November to do it. I am at least sure Sony will drop the price by November if only to prevent MS from doing what they did with the Xbox One this year with the extended Black Friday sale that will so conveniently become basically permanent soon. Sony won't let that happen again and sales will have slowed down enough to justify a price drop.

Yes, March sounds like a good idea. They will have released a major first party title already (The Oder, which I expect to do better with fans than critics) and will have Bloodborne coming up, their best exclusive since the launch of the PS4 IMO. If those two don't help the situation they should probably have a plan in place before E3 at least.

What Sony will have to do is be prepared that when they drop the price, Xbox One can very much drop to $300. If Sony reacts well and Microsoft reacts well and the cycle continues, it'll be interesting to see.

PS4 still leading and it'll take some time for XB1 to close the gap, I expect it to take around half an year at best.
And in the summer/early autumn I would expect some kind of pricedrop regardless of XB1 situation as it'll be almost 2 years since console launch.

It would be very surprising though if Sony continued like this for the months to come without reacting properly to the competition.

it's the middle of the night

4:45 am

is chartz alive? will they shamelessly repost this data point from "some guy on neogaf"?

will anyone quote this? or will it fly under the radar because it's so late out?

either way, last help for tonight...i might help out some more tomorrow.

without further ado...

ps3 sold 299k last dec, but it's -41% this dec

also remember to use 810k for the handheld pie

Top Bottom