• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Endo Punk

I'm surprised PS4 managed over a million tbh. I'm expecting a price drop by the end of this fiscal year if MS continues to own it in Jan and Feb.

I'm surprised PS4 managed over a million tbh. I'm expecting a price drop by the end of this fiscal year if MS continues to trounce it in Jan and Feb.

The XBone "trounced" the PS4? Because they sold a little more in the US? Although XBone is an also-runner in almost every other important and unimportant market? (your EDIT was to slow to match the speed of someone who`s going to have lunch in a couple of minutes ;)).

Sorry, but no. XBone managed to go ahead in the US by throwing freebies and discounts at their customer base. Congrats to that.

Sony has no regular history concerning temporal or regional price cuts. When they do a price cut, every region profits, not only the US. Hence, as long as PS4`s overall momentum is matching Sony`s business plan, they wont do shit. I just asume that as long as PS4 is selling like hotcakes there is just not reason to do that, even if their biggest opponent wins the single, but most important market continuously.

madp0k

You make good points, but when the margin is big between them in both November and December, don't you think that should concern Sony?

They are the biggest months of the year gaming-wise after all.

I think the ps4 beat the xbox by 250k in Destiny month, which counters December with the huge price cuts.

I'm guessing January will flip back to PS4, I'm guessing Sony are more than happy with these numbers to be fair

WITHE1982

Congrats MS. Just shows you what some aggressive price cuts can do for you. Let's hope Sony follow suit at some point this year.

The software sales numbers are just amazing though. I'm shocked that Destiny sold more on 360 and XBOXO than PS4. Just based on the Bungie site and clan numbers there's very few MS players compared to the hoards of PS4 ones.

Digital and bundle sales on PS4 must have been pretty impressive.

Congrats MS. Just shows you what some aggressive price cuts can do for you. Let's hope Sony follow suit at some point this year.

The software sales numbers are just amazing though. I'm shocked that Destiny sold more on 360 and XBOXO than PS4. Just based on the Bungie site and clan numbers there's very few MS players compared to the hoards of PS4 ones.

Digital and bundle sales on PS4 must have been pretty impressive.

Destiny PS4 bundle sold really well. What was it like 300k at launch?

ps3ud0

Enjoyed the reactions to the NPD - quite funny to think how people have forgotten how significantly behind the PS3 was to the X360 last generation in the US.

Anywhere where the PS4 is around the XO in the US seems to be a large swing in sales. Sony really is in a comfortable position - could be argued over time if that's too comfortable - sure we will see some official price drops this year so its all good for the consumer :)

ps3ud0 8)

Conduit

Banned
I think that Sony was unprepared for how aggressive MS was going to be this holidays. GTAV helped Sony a lot, if they ended up with AC and MS with GTA MS would have done much better.

I think that Sony should be considering cutting the price of the PS4 in NA before doing the same in other territories. They should announce the NA price cut in the next E3 and than do the same for Europe and Japan in the next Gamescom and TGS.

Sony will cut the price for PS4 when the time is right. If they announce 100$ price cut @Gamescom 2015, it will have a huge impact. Anyway, Sony play waiting game.

Sony needs to drop the PS4 price already.

If MS intends to go ahead with the 350 price point, Sony would be foolish not to respond.

Its clearly working.

Also seems like US game industry fared better last year than Japan, thanks to strong hardware + accessory sales

US 2014: $13.5 billion, up 1%
Japan 2014: 369 billion yen (~3 billlion usd), down 10%

Software (Retail only):

US: $5.3 billion, down 13%
Japan: 226 billion yen (~2 billion usd), down 11%
UK: £948.5 million (~1.44 billion usd), down 6.6%

If MS intends to go ahead with the 350 price point, Sony would be foolish not to respond.

Its clearly working.

Even if MS starts winning by a bit, there's no reason to drop the price yet imo. Besides, the NA market isn't as important for Sony as it is to MS. Hell, they probably never even expected to lead here

Why are people acting like Sony had some huge loss?

Footos22

Its clearly working.

What for a couple of 100k difference. Sonys got January in the bag. What they lost in december they'll have back this month without losing any money, that plus tlou being bundled with every console is a sure fire way to get that back.

And i really dont think they'll care for a couple of 100k when in the rest of the world they are completely nailing xbox's bollocks to the pavement.

Even if MS starts winning by a bit, there's no reason to drop the price yet imo. Besides, the NA market isn't as important for Sony as it is to MS. Hell, they probably never even expected to lead here

Why are people acting like Sony had some huge loss?

Because they are essentially abandoning the lead to MS and that is just stupid policy.

The lower the price, the more consoles sold.

The more consoles sold, the more games sold.

The more games sold, the more money comes back to Sony and the stronger their brand gets,

Letting your rivals gain on you is just stupid policy.

Because they are essentially abandoning the lead to MS and that is just stupid policy.

The more games sold, the more money comes back to Sony and the stronger their brand gets,

The gap is still there, it's still 500k or so. Let's wait till Jan and Feb come in before jumping to conclusions. As is, there is no reason to drop the price.

Footos22

Lol they aren't gaining They are still losing ground elsewhere by a much more significant margin. They are only gaining in one region. America does not equal the world.

How about Microsoft wins January first ?

In addition to 50$ price cut they also had 2-3games bundled in some cases gift cards too.

Ding-Ding

Its clearly working.

Sony don't need to do anything right now. They can play the waiting game and see how things pan out. MS are the ones that have to do the desperate moves, which they are doing.

If anything, now they have started yet another "promotion", it does give the impression that the last two months did not quite meet their expectations as to the amount of market share they would have clawed back from Sony (I wouldn’t be surprised if they thought it would be 50/50 in the US after that push).

Sony will just sit there and see what happens. I doubt they will even move if MS pulls level in the US (which I doubt would happen anytime soon).

They will sit there quite comfortable watching the WW numbers, with US numbers being just a side show and stick to whatever roadmap they have to pricing.

FDC1

They should give away consoles by that logic

It's almost 2:1. Xbone is around 11 million and PS4 around 19 million.

you're comparing sold in and sold trough numbers

They gain nothing. MS is losing every month worldwide. And they are clearly losing.
But I agree, that they should be more aggressive in NA.

So Smash being available on two platforms only, made it to 6th on the annual chart, that's pretty damn impressive.

smash u is also the #2 individual software sku for december

i agree...it is pretty damn impressive

now if only we could say the same about the third-party wii u ecosystem

RibMan

Excellent performance by the Xbox One. If Microsoft keeps up their offense, then North America will comfortably favor the X1 over the PS4.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
the reason ac unity isn't in the top 10 is because the majority of its december 2014 sales were realised in the xbox one assassin's creed unity bundle

ac unity > gta v when you include the bundle units for both
B-b-but bud23 said that the game bombed, the series is dead, and that I am cry.

November
FC4 bombed

Ass creed Unity bombed hard

Crossing Eden am cry

Yesterday
Annual 2014 Top 10 Games

Check for Ass creed Unity

No Ass Creed: Unity

Ass creed is dead

What a time to be alive

Crossing Eden am cry

Thanks for the info Aqua, curious about how Dragon Age performed?

They should give away consoles by that logic

you're comparing sold in and sold trough numbers

What are the sold through numbers for MS out of interest? I would look through the thread, but not whilst its over 40 pages.

Also to save trawling, have figures for PS4 and XBO over December been revealed in the thread?

FDC1

What are the sold through numbers for MS out of interest? I would look through the thread, but not whilst its over 40 pages.

Also to save trawling, have figures for PS4 and XBO over December been revealed in the thread?

No I'm not. Xbone number is estimated sold through and PS4 is straight from Sony, sold through as well.

EDIT: Or am I too generous for Xbone?

They're expected to be close of 9.5M by the end of 2014 but there is no official number so it's mostly projection and speculation.

pLow7

It's almost 2:1. Xbone is around 11 million and PS4 around 19 million.

Isn't that a bit high ? While we don't have any numbers for ROTW i recall US being at , 6,5-7 Million right now ? Don't think ROTW stacks up to 4-4,5 Million units.

9,5 to 10 Million is a safer bet.

No wonder the PS+ version was delayed. Sony probably is in NO rush to give even part of this title away for free when it's sold so abysmally, haha. They're probably trying to fleece a few more sales before it goes free on PS+ at this point. I wonder how the servers crumbled with so few players though...

kiguel182

Wait, how did the Ps4 + X1 only sold 2.3 million in 14 months?

Didn't the Ps4 sold more than a million last November/December? That number is not making sense to me.

Isn't that a bit high ? While we don't have any numbers for ROTW i recall US being at , 6,5-7 Million right now ? Don't think ROTW stacks up to 4-4,5 Million units.

9,5 to 10 Million is a safer bet.

Ok, I was being too generous. No wonder Microsoft is panicking with the price.

Top Bottom