• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Captain Tuttle said:
I'm actually pretty surpised that Black Ops sold.more than KZ3 I know that's a whole month of sales for COD and everything but c'mon.

Cod is the GTA of this generation. If you go back to 2002, GTA3 sat at the top of the sales charts every month for an entire year.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Tashi0106 said:
Yea I agree with everyone, that 360 number is fuckin big. I would have never expected it.
I expected it. How anyone that saw the wii launch with the 'amazing new controller' didn't expect it is beyond me.

KingDizzi

Banned
maeh2k said:
What are the NPD-PS3-CODBLOPS-LTD numbers? Is it anywhere close to 10 million?

CoD doesn't sell that much in Japan. And in parts of europe, such as Germany, the PC is in a much stronger position. So I'm not sure how much these regions contribute to PS3 CODBLOPS sales.

Black Ops PS3 is still charting pretty much everywhere in EU, it's done a couple hundred thousand in Japan which really is irrelevant but it must have done at least 4-5 million in NA by now. Over 1 million in UK for the PS3 version so with NA that's already say 6 million, safe to say the other regions would have made up at least a few more million. Remember UK is the region in EU where PS3 is weaker than 360, it's the other way round in the other EU countries.

LQX said:
They should have maybe made Bulletstorm a 360 exclusives.

Not so sure, not like shooters don't usually do well on PS3. Such a huge split though, has to be the Gears Beta which caused it. In which case those GeOW figures will be beastly....not like we did not know that anyway. Uncharted 3 is gonna get fucked though, it's gonna release the same month as Skyrim and the biggie COD. Not smart Sony. :/

maeh2k

ICallItFutile said:
Still no DS & PSP numbers? Boo-urns!

the numbers were mentioned somewhere in the thread.

But I'll just post the full HW numbers from the Gametrailers Invisible Walls podcast:

GBA 7
GCN 3
DS 456,732
PS2 28,951
PS3 402,648
PSP 77,647
Wii 454,870
Xbox 1
Xbox 360 535,214

KingDizzi said:
Uncharted 3 is gonna get fucked though, it's gonna release the same month as Skyrim and the biggie COD. Not smart Sony. :/
Uncharted will do perfectly fine. It might not sell a million on "day one" but it will hold it's own against those games.

yurinka

Road said:
Bulletstorm first month ratio in the UK:

360 - 81%
PS3 - 15%
PC - 3%

Bulletstorm first month ratio in the US:

360 - 82%
PS3 - 16%
PC - 3%
Seeing MvsC3 sold more or less the same in both platforms (a bit more in PS3), I assume Killzone 3 stoled Bulletstorm PS3 sales, and Gears 3 beta bumped the 360 sales.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Regarding the Invisible Walls figures, two points:
  • Didn't MvC3 have special editions? Those could easily be the difference making Xbox 360 > PS3 when all versions are considered. Does the chart on IW specifically mention whether all versions are being summed here? I can try to ask NPD on Monday.
  • The hardware figures are contrary to what I had confirmed to me by Pachter, so I may have to ask for NPD directly. The difference is a couple of thousand, but it makes an ordering difference.
I think this makes clear what others have said: the new information patchwork is very difficult because the details are important to people here and those are precisely what is getting munged.

*le sigh*

Curufinwe

ICallItFutile said:
No it doesn't?

It does.

Boourns is not similar at all to boo, it is in fact the opposite of booing.

It comes from an episode of The Simpsons when Mr. Burns made a film for a film festival that no one in the audience liked, so they booed him. Burns, being surrounded by yes-men for his whole life was unfamiliar with being booed so Smithers told him they were chanting "boourns" rather than booing.

Mr. Burns stood up and asked the audience if they were booing or if they were chanting boourns. They responded by booing him, except for Hans Moleman who admitted to chanting "boourns" which leads one to the conclusion that Moleman liked the movie and was using the expression to show his enjoyment.

Snipes424

yurinka said:
Seeing MvsC3 sold more or less the same in both platforms (a bit more in PS3), I assume Killzone 3 stoled Bulletstorm PS3 sales, and Gears 3 beta bumped the 360 sales.

I'd agree with that. Fighters typically sell very well on the PS3. Shooters typically sell better on the 360 + Gears Beta + KZ3 = I'm surprised it was 15/16% on PS3.

kswiston

KingDizzi said:
Black Ops PS3 is still charting pretty much everywhere in EU, it's done a couple hundred thousand in Japan which really is irrelevant but it must have done at least 4-5 million in NA by now. Over 1 million in UK for the PS3 version so with NA that's already say 6 million, safe to say the other regions would have made up at least a few more million. Remember UK is the region in EU where PS3 is weaker than 360, it's the other way round in the other EU countries.

Well, in November, the PS3 version of Black Ops sold 3.1M out of the total 8.4M first month for the game. If the game is currently at 13.7M in the US, and the PS3 ratio has remained the same, the PS3 version's LTD would be 5.05M. Considering the PS3 version sold 63% of what the 360 version sold in its first month, but 73% of what the 360 version sold in Feb, there is a pretty good chance that it has crossed 5M in the US. If not, then definitely by the end of this month. Throw in Canada, Mexico, and assorted sales in the other NA countries and we are probably looking at 5.5-6M in NA. Sold to customers.

If you are saying the game is over 1M in the UK, it is reasonable to think the PS3 version is at 9-10M worldwide by this point.

Road

jvm said:
  • Didn't MvC3 have special editions? Those could easily be the difference making Xbox 360 > PS3 when all versions are considered. Does the chart on IW specifically mention whether all versions are being summed here? I can try to ask NPD on Monday.
  • The hardware figures are contrary to what I had confirmed to me by Pachter, so I may have to ask for NPD directly. The difference is a couple of thousand, but it makes an ordering difference.
I think this makes clear what others have said: the new information patchwork is very difficult because the details are important to people here and those are precisely what is getting munged.

*le sigh*
I think the only thing you'll achieve by asking NPD about these is Invisible Walls not giving any info anymore in the future. =P

jvm

Gamasutra.
Road said:
I think the only thing you'll achieve by asking NPD about these is Invisible Walls not giving any info anymore in the future. =P
Didn't intend to ask it that way. ;) Sheesh.

That said, I would be surprised if NPD didn't know. Could be wrong, though.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Curufinwe said:

I don't know where you got that from, but Urban Dictionary says otherwise:

Obscure reference to the Simpsons: Monty Burns has just made a speech, and was getting booed out. When he asks his kiss-ass assistant if they're booing him, he replies "No, sir...they're saying boo-urns." He then asks the crowd, and they continue to boo him, save for Hans Moleman, who says "Well, I was saying boo-urns."

An exclamation, used in disappointment or excitement

Similar to "boo," only not quite the same.

Besides, just because Hans Moleman said it doesn't mean he was saying it as postively. That's making just as much as an assumption as saying he didn't like it. Even Burns didn't make that assumption; that's why he asked the crowd. For all we know Moleman could have just messed up talking. He is old after all.

Road

jvm said:
Didn't intend to ask it that way. ;) Sheesh.

That said, I would be surprised if NPD didn't know. Could be wrong, though.
Yeah, I don't expect this to last forever in any way, just like any other example in the past.

I understand your frustration, though. Let us know what you find out. =P

Cipherr

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I wish the NPD would go back to giving us solid numbers. Looking at this list, all a sudden Killzone and Bulletstorm look fine. You see just how even the numbers are across the board.

No doubt, can you imagine what getting the top 30 would do for discussion? Sheeeeeeeit. So many freakouts would be averted, so many supposed bombas redeemed. With the shitty snapshot of numbers we get from them its hard to control the jumptoconclusions.jpg sometimes.

maeh2k said:

But I'll just post the full HW numbers from the Gametrailers Invisible Walls podcast:

GCN 3

Xbox 1

:D @ GCN trying to catch up. Only 10,829,820,915 more years or so!

m3k

Cipherr said:
No doubt, can you imagine what getting the top 30 would do for discussion? Sheeeeeeeit. So many freakouts would be averted, so many supposed bombas redeemed. With the shitty snapshot of numbers we get from them its hard to control the jumptoconclusions.jpg sometimes.

:D @ GCN trying to catch up. Only 10,829,820,915 more years or so!

the war will never end... for second place lol

nah probably some nerds wanted to play zelda without waggle

I'm interested in how Rock Band 3 is doing, has anyone heard any recent genuine NPD numbers?

A poster on Rockbandaide blog claimed the following for RB3 in February:

RB3: 600k US
http://www.rockbandaide.com/10943/activision-ending-guitar-hero-franchise/

This would appear to be in the right ball park as another poster would seem to valid the 500k to 600k range based on a discussion about GH:WOR being ahead.

******** has the following numbers up to March:

RB3 (Xbox360) = 490,000
RB3 (PS3) = 270,000
RB3 (Wii) = 330,000

http://www.********.com/worldtotals.php?name=rock+band+3&publisher=&console=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=America

There is no way RB3 sold another 500,000 units between the January over the numbers discussed in the Rockbandaide blog, so take these with a huge pinch of salt.

jay

ICallItFutile said:

Besides, just because Hans Moleman said it doesn't mean he was saying it as postively. That's making just as much as an assumption as saying he didn't like it. Even Burns didn't make that assumption; that's why he asked the crowd. For all we know Moleman could have just messed up talking. He is old after all.

Boo.

donny2112

Nick Laslett said:
so take these with a huge pinch of salt.

Based on the fact that the site is banned for a reason, the salt is more reliable. How many grains of salt are there? Yeah, should be about the sales of PSP Tactics Ogre.

Where's that JoshuaJSlone "sold this much in the time it took to think of this" page at? :lol

Canova

Banned
maeh2k said:
Gametrailers' Invisible Walls podcast had some new numbers, again

1. Wii Just Dance 2 554,552
2. PS3 Marvel vs Capcom 3 398,284
3. 360 Marvel vs Capcom 3 391,913
4. 360 Call of Duty: Black Ops 390,729
5. PS3 Call of Duty: Black Ops 288,674
6. PS3 Killzone 3 279,824
7. 360 Bulletstorm 233,365
8. Wii Zumba Fitness: Join the party 226,685
9. Wii Michael Jackson The Experience 226,378
10. 360 NBA 2k11 224,800
11. Wii Mario Sports Mix 199,965
12. 360 Dance Central 183,920
13. 360 Dead Space 2 179,675
14. PS3 NBA 2k11 159,278

wow! finally individual platform software numbers

Jokeropia

ICallItFutile said:
Urban Dictionary is wrong in this case. It was not a speech, it was a film for a film festival and while Molemans intentions may be ambiguous, the way Smithers and Burns use the term implies that it's positive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1K3HfzqHQk

Smithers is trying to convince Burns that the audience actually liked the film by suggesting that they're chanting "Boo-urns" rather than booing. Burns isn't asking the crowd what they mean by "Boo-urns", he's asking whether they're actually saying "Boo-urns" or simply booing.

JGS

Banned
ICallItFutile said:

That's way deeper than I was thinking when I saw that episode. That seen was hilarious and I lean toward Curufinwe's interpretation.

Not sure if it was the opposite, but it was assumed to be positive.

I'll go back to lurking now.

onipex

maeh2k said:
Gametrailers' Invisible Walls podcast had some new numbers, again

1. Wii Just Dance 2 554,552
2. PS3 Marvel vs Capcom 3 398,284
3. 360 Marvel vs Capcom 3 391,913
4. 360 Call of Duty: Black Ops 390,729
5. PS3 Call of Duty: Black Ops 288,674
6. PS3 Killzone 3 279,824
7. 360 Bulletstorm 233,365
8. Wii Zumba Fitness: Join the party 226,685
9. Wii Michael Jackson The Experience 226,378
10. 360 NBA 2k11 224,800
11. Wii Mario Sports Mix 199,965
12. 360 Dance Central 183,920
13. 360 Dead Space 2 179,675
14. PS3 NBA 2k11 159,278

I want to see that day when all four dancing games are in the top four spots. Mainly just for the reaction on gaf.

There is only one Nintendo first party title in that list and 3 third party Wii games are selling better than it. I'm betting that Just Dance Nintendo Mix will be at E3.

Cheech

I hope the 3% PC take of Bulletstorm is fake, and the real number is higher.

I bought the game on a lark, and the game is eyebleedingly gorgeous at 1080p with the graphics turned all the way up. I'm playing on a relatively modest (for GAF - i5 760 and ATi 6870) rig, and it's one of those games where you just have to stop what you're doing and look around once in awhile.

The graphics are so good, when they launch into a prerendered/video captured cutscene (which is what I'm assuming it normally looks like on console), it's jarring, and looks terrible.

It also has a competent (for once) Games for Windows Live integration. I'm racking up Xbox achievements, comfy couch and using my 360 pad along with everyone else. Total plug and play.

I'm going to be sad playing Gears 3 on that engine on a 360 this fall. Because it's inconceivable it's going to run at 60fps rendered natively at 1080p. With no tearing.

Road

Cheech said:
It is not fake.

That said, both UK and US sales numbers currently don't include digital downloads, so the share of the PC version overall is possibly higher than 3%.

maeh2k

Cheech said:

The numbers are real, but you have to consider that they do not include digital downloads.

EDIT: damn you, Road ;)

maeh2k said:

GBA 7
GCN 3
Xbox 1

Ok where in the United States can I get a boxed, brand new Xbox 1, Game Cube, or GBA? Are they maybe showing up at Gabes or Big Lots or something? Cause I want one damnit.

Cheech said:
I hope the 3% PC take of Bulletstorm is fake, and the real number is higher.I'm going to be sad playing Gears 3 on that engine on a 360 this fall. Because it's inconceivable it's going to run at 60fps rendered natively at 1080p. With no tearing.

I'm sure online sales bring it up to a respectible number on PC.

Gears 3 will be 720p and 30fps, but the engine looks the same. That's what you get with a 5 year old PC rig, which is what the 360 is.

Good numbers across the board for the xbox360. Im hoping at the very least they announce a price drop for the 360 since it hasnt had one in about 3 years and still has been very competitive. I think its time to focus on Nintendo rather than Sony and make a bid for # 1 for the great invention 360 and revolutionary Kinect!! woohoo dont hate me cause im right, hate me cause im always right!!!

Curufinwe

ICallItFutile said:

My quote is from Urban Dictionary (it's #3), and the source is not important, it's the logic which matters. Your alternative explanation is illogical and also ruins the entire joke. The Simpsons is just a little too clever for you in this case.

When the Philadelphia Flyers home crowd chants "Boosh" they are not booing Brian Boucher, they are cheering him. Similarly, Moleman was (the only one in the crowd) cheering for Mr Burns.

allan-bh

jvm said:
[*]Didn't MvC3 have special editions? Those could easily be the difference making Xbox 360 > PS3 when all versions are considered. Does the chart on IW specifically mention whether all versions are being summed here? I can try to ask NPD on Monday.

Combined sales of both versions is the same as previously reported 790.2k. I think that includes special edition.

I agree with what was said before, you shouldn't talk about Invisible Walls numbers with NPD Group. Ask Pachter.

jvm

Gamasutra.
allan-bh said:
I agree with what was said before, you shouldn't talk about Invisible Walls numbers with NPD Group. Ask Pachter.
Pachter provided the previous ... now conflicting ... totals for Wii and NDS.

Kenka

Arpharmd B said:
I'm sure online sales bring it up to a respectible number on PC.

Gears 3 will be 720p and 30fps, but the engine looks the same. That's what you get with a 5 year old PC rig, which is what the 360 is.

I don't wanna sound like a jerk but I'll add more salt in the wound : the integrated Intel Graphics 3000 is supposedly almost as powerful as the Xenon. Now that gives you a great overview of the situation :lol

Arpharmd B said:
Ok where in the United States can I get a boxed, brand new Xbox 1, Game Cube, or GBA? Are they maybe showing up at Gabes or Big Lots or something? Cause I want one damnit.

I don't know about an Xbox or Gamecube (and remember, any new Gamecube out there would almost certainly be the later model that doesn't support component video), but I've seen a new GBA from time to time. Those would also be later models, though; the mini or last model SP with the nice DS-type better backlit screen.

Top Bottom