• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

jvm

Gamasutra.
Eggo said:
Do we have any sales data from NPD regarding social games? It feels like the industry is shifting towards more social game development, so would be interested in seeing how those are performing in terms of revenue or popularity.
This is the best I've come up with. It's not even a straightforward statement, it's a deduction based on two statements of revenue in the same period.
There is one other point worth noting. When the NPD Group released its first estimates of extra-retail spending for 2009, it specifically left out social network games and cited a total market value of $15.0-15.25 billion. Given the differential between this result and its revised result, one arrives at the suggestion that social network games were worth about $250-350 million in 2009.
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6258/npd_behind_the_numbers_december_.php?page=5

Disclosure: As regulars know, that's my article.

legend166

Watchtower said:
First part yes. Never argued that. Second part, absolutey not, obviously. They are very much alike in terms of games, third party support and the demographics they are going for.

Really if we're back to 0 then at this point I will have to call it a night.

Arghhhhhhhh.

No they are not.

The PS2 was hugely successful with kids and females. Big markets. The former probably more so than the latter. Want to know why successful franchises from the PS2 like Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank are either dead or have experienced pretty heavy declines this generation? Because kids were a big part of their success, and they do not exist on the HD platforms in anywhere near the numbers they did on the PS2. For all the "lololol Nintendo is kiddie!" arguments that went around during last generation, the PS2 dominated that market.

Look at the sales of any Lego game. Or any Disney movie game. They sell on the Wii. Those games used to sell on the PS2.

Similarly, females were a large reason for the success of games like Buzz, Singstar and the Eyetoy games, especially in Europe. They've moved to the Wii, and made games like Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Guitar Hero (started on the PS2, ended up selling best on the Wii) into massive hits. Mario Kart was always a successful franchise, but it rocketed into the stratosphere this gen, because Nintendo completely captured those markets. It was always relatively successful in them, but this generation it dominated them like never before.

You can ignore those two segments of the market all you want and continue to put your fingers in your ear and say "lalalalala core games lalalalala I can't hear you", but the fact of the matter is, those demographics were a huge part of the success of the PS2. Just as the 'core' gamers were a huge part of the success of the PS2.

Look at it this way: the PS2 has sold around 1.5 billion pieces of software. And around 150 million consoles. That gives a nice round tie ratio of around 10. So that means, on average, a PS2 owner owns 10 games. That seems pretty low for a 'core' gamer, right? Even if you just include your figure of 100 million 'core' gamers and assume the next 50 million only used it as a DVD player. That gives us 15 games per owner. Even that's pretty low. If they owned a PS2 for 5 years, that's only 3 games a year. Doesn't sound very 'core' to me. I mean, if we're calling people who buy 3 games a year 'core', it seems to dilute the meaning of the word.

The PS2 was such a huge success because it basically managed to dominate every single demographic. I bet if you asked Sony, they'd say the exact same thing. The 360 and PS3, to this point, have failed to do that.

legend166

I think we heard about awhile ago.

I doubt the public will get any information beyond total dollar spend.

And if they're not getting information from Steam, it's a bit pointless.

maeh2k

Gametrailers' Invisible Walls podcast had some new numbers, again

1. Wii Just Dance 2 554,552
2. PS3 Marvel vs Capcom 3 398,284
3. 360 Marvel vs Capcom 3 391,913
4. 360 Call of Duty: Black Ops 390,729
5. PS3 Call of Duty: Black Ops 288,674
6. PS3 Killzone 3 279,824
7. 360 Bulletstorm 233,365
8. Wii Zumba Fitness: Join the party 226,685
9. Wii Michael Jackson The Experience 226,378
10. 360 NBA 2k11 224,800
11. Wii Mario Sports Mix 199,965
12. 360 Dance Central 183,920
13. 360 Dead Space 2 179,675
14. PS3 NBA 2k11 159,278

szaromir

Banned
maeh2k said:

10. 360 NBA 2k11 224,800
14. PS3 NBA 2k11 159,278
Nice!

TheOddOne

maeh2k said:

10. 360 NBA 2k11 224,800
14. PS3 NBA 2k11 159,278
Thats suprising.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
maeh2k said:

10. 360 NBA 2k11 224,800
14. PS3 NBA 2k11 159,278

If true, that ruins the listed order theory.

Pretty sure somewhere else said the 360 version narrowly outsold.

Bulletstorm (EA: 360, PS3, PC) - 285.6K
360 Bulletstorm 233,365

Wow, if these numbers are correct. That means the PS3 and PC versions sold just 52.3k combined.

I probably would have looked in to buying Bulletstorm had it not come out the same day as Killzone 3. That probably hurt PS3 sales of the title.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So I'm curious about udraw. THQ seem to completely bypass the usual video game channels with it, it barely showed on websites and stuff outside the initial announcement and a review here and there, yet they claim it has sold a truckload but I haven't seen it in any charts? Did I miss it? What gives?

maeh2k

DIrtyWeasel said:
Wow, if these numbers are correct. That means the PS3 and PC versions sold just 52.3k combined.

I probably would have looked in to buying Bulletstorm had it not come out the same day as Killzone 3. That probably hurt PS3 sales of the title.

If I remember correctly, they said on Invisible Walls that the PS3 version sold around 45k units. That leaves the PC at 7k (at retail).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lagspike_exe said:
PS3 Bulletstorm DESTROYED.

Meh, after the sub-par writing in the demo, was anyone really surprised?

More surprising is MvC3. After hearing "LOL IT BOMBED" all over the internet due to CHARTZZZZZZZ speculation, it's nice to see that it sold half a million in it's first month.
Even if it's a rushed piece of shit without Spectator and Replay modes for online right now. >:|

Gravijah

TheSeks said:

More surprising is MvC3. After hearing "LOL IT BOMBED" all over the internet due to CHARTZZZZZZZ speculation, it's nice to see that it sold half a million in it's first month.
Even if it's a rushed piece of shit without Spectator and Replay modes for online right now. >:|

But it sold 800k! That's... way more than half a million. Unless you're just talking about one SKU.

TheSeks said:

Uh, it sold 6x as much on 360. Seems like it got Killzowned.

Road

maeh2k said:
2. PS3 Marvel vs Capcom 3
3. 360 Marvel vs Capcom 3

Unless it is a typo (and there are good chances of being one), there goes the listing order equaling selling order theory.

newjeruse

DIrtyWeasel said:

Gears of War 3 beta certainly helped.

Rolf NB

_Alkaline_ said:
But not even Killzone did that well.
It still outsold the Xbox 360 version of Bulletstorm. If we assume the usual multiplat splits, Killzone 3 would only have needed to cannibalize around 100k sales of Bulletstorm/PS3 to explain it all. But then we really shouldn't, as the Gears 3 beta certainly gave Bulletstorm/360 some kind of boost.

Road

Bulletstorm first month ratio in the UK:

360 - 81%
PS3 - 15%
PC - 3%

Bulletstorm first month ratio in the US:

360 - 82%
PS3 - 16%
PC - 3%

kswiston

What did Watchtower get banned for? His stay was short.

I'd be curious to see what the numbers were for Tactics Ogre. Did the game break 30k? It's a shame that the PSP is a dead system sales-wise in North America, because Tactics Ogre was really well done. Definitely deserved to chart better than sub-Top 100.

kswiston said:

He did? I've warned him not to be so aggressive as a junior. Oh well.

I'd be curious to see what the numbers were for Tactics Ogre. Did the game break 30k? It's a shame that the PSP is a dead system sales-wise in North America, because Tactics Ogre was really well done. Definitely deserved to chart better than sub-Top 100.

Marcus only has so many friends.

Flakster99

Well, I bought a copy of Tactics Ogre and thought the game deserved my cash - it provided me with a solid, fun, good experience.

A damn shame Tactics Ogre sold so pitifully though. Lack of advertising did not do this game any justice, that's forsure. Of course, the PSP userbase absolutely doesn't understand, nor do they care apparentely, how much good software is on said platform.

I hope Sony finds a way to continue netting fantastic support for the PSP2 and finds an angle that pushes software sales. There is so much competition out there for our gaming dollar it would be a shame if a similar scenerio happened with the PSP2 software sales wise, that is if the software turns out to be equally good.

kswiston said:

Watchtower said:
I don't care how many ways you guys want to spin it. The PS3/360 comes out as the actual successors to the PS2. User base, leading third party support, actual games....however you look at it with the one exception being sales...it turns out it's the 360/PS3 that carried on that legacy.
I'm guessing because of this. This guy is a hoot.

Mrbob

legend166 said:
NBA 2K11 has just been a beast. I can't believe how much EA screwed up.

Having the GOAT on the cover and in your game helps to produce sales. :D NBA Live was going to get destroyed either way. I think this is why they canceled. EA knew they couldn't take on Jordan with a sub par game.

Mrbob said:
Having the GOAT on the cover and in your game helps to produce sales. :D NBA Live was going to get destroyed either way. I think this is why they canceled. EA knew they couldn't take on Jordan with a sub par game.

The problem is with this complete disaster of a year, the market awareness of the 2K series just grew exponentially while that of Live decreased in a similar manner. I have a good feeling that Live won't be able to get out of this rut. Why would anybody want to play Live after playing 2K11? That game is a veritable juggernaut and just continues to sell. Unlike Madden, the game actually evolves as well. EA might as well bail out of the NBA business in my opinion.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BishopLamont said:
I'm guessing because of this. This guy is a hoot.
He was also madly arguing in the Mortal Kombat thread how bad the graphics in the game were...and acknowledged he didn't own a 360/PS3 but saw enough screenshots to know what he was talking about. Heh.

maeh2k said:

10. 360 NBA 2k11 224,800
14. PS3 NBA 2k11 159,278

I wish the NPD would go back to giving us solid numbers. Looking at this list, all a sudden Killzone and Bulletstorm look fine. You see just how even the numbers are across the board.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I wish the NPD would go back to giving us solid numbers. Looking at this list, all a sudden Killzone and Bulletstorm look fine. You see just how even the numbers are across the board.
I think watching Invisible Walls the week after NPD's is the only we are going to get these individual SKU numbers.

KingDizzi

Banned
Would love to know the split when it comes to WW Black Ops sales. Overall in terms of Black Ops sales 360 has NA while EU and Japan is PS3's, reason I ask this is because possibly Black Ops has sold 10M just on the PS3?

Captain Tuttle said:
I'm actually pretty surpised that Black Ops sold.more than KZ3 I know that's a whole month of sales for COD and everything but c'mon.

Don't be, COD is so just beyond any other HD franchise. Just look at how poorly the PS3 has sold in NA yet the PS3 version is still up there, chances are that the PS3 version alone has out sold Reach just in NA! Beastly franchise, nothing comes close at present.

pharmboy044 said:
I think watching Invisible Walls the week after NPD's is the only we are going to get these individual SKU numbers.

I find that price too high to pay, but I know some brave soul will sacrifice itself for the good of the whole community.

maeh2k

KingDizzi said:
Would love to know the split when it comes to WW Black Ops sales. Overall in terms of Black Ops sales 360 has NA while EU and Japan is PS3's, reason I ask this is because possibly Black Ops has sold 10M just on the PS3?

What are the NPD-PS3-CODBLOPS-LTD numbers? Is it anywhere close to 10 million?

CoD doesn't sell that much in Japan. And in parts of europe, such as Germany, the PC is in a much stronger position. So I'm not sure how much these regions contribute to PS3 CODBLOPS sales.

Top Bottom