• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2007

Some More tidbits

Not sure if you guys were aware of it or not, but this was a freaking blockbuster month. Sales were up phenomenally in every area except portable HW, since you have to back out 25% of sales because of the longer month.

360 was the single top platform dollar contributor for the month (not the first time that's happened of course)

Playstation Brand 44.09%
Nintendo Brand 30.45%
Xbox Brand 25.46%

U.S. Video Games Industry 1/07 Dollars
January 2006 January 2007 CHG*
Video Games $704mm $1.25B 78.0%
Video Games Hardware $237mm $505mm 113.0%
Console Hardware 158mm $412mm 161.0%
Portable Game Hardware $79mm $92mm 17.0%
Video Games Software $359mm $549mm 53.0%
Console Software $260mm $406mm 56.0%
Portable Game Software $98mm $143mm 46.0%
Video Game Accessories $108mm $198mm 84.0%

Platform Contribution - All Categories (HW, SW, & Accessories)
Dollars Vert % ARP Freq
Xbox 360 $284mm 22.50% $72.80
PlayStation 2 $237mm 18.80% $32.59
PlayStation 3 $205mm 16.20% $150.18
Wii $181mm 14.40% $78.42
Nintendo DS $108mm 8.70% $30.52
PlayStation Portable $107mm 8.50% $42.75
Game Boy Advance $50.8mm 4.00% $23.42
GameCube $40.3mm 3.20% $26.20
Xbox $33mm 2.60% $21.92

Tiktaalik

GH2 is doing insanely well.

What do Wario Ware games usually do? Those sales seem pretty good.

Will Lost Planet suffer a mega drop off like it's cousin Dead Rising???

Raw64life

Smokey Bones said:
Anybody know what NSMB is at LTD in America?

2.1 million.

The Official GAF NPD thread last month had it at 2.0 million LTD (they gave us a list of the top 10 games of 2006) + this months 125k.

MirageDwarf said:
Xbox? None SOLD?????

Basically it's sales are so low that it's not even worth counting at this point.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
LegendofJoe said:
It's crazy how well the GC edition of TP is selling. I think it goes to show how many GC owners have yet to make the switch to Wii.

You'd be surprised how many of them are GC owners who can't find Wii anywhere.

KINGMOKU

sphinx said:
Everybody is aware that Twilight princess sold 333k, making it the top seller game of the month, right?
Hmm. I wonder what the totals are for Gears, and TP(Both versions).

I called that Zelda would outsell Gears overall, worldwide, and in the Americas.

Over a 100,000 unit gain this month!

B E N K E

sphinx said:
Everybody is aware that Twilight princess sold 333k, making it the top seller game of the month, right?

NPD isn't calculated that way... and if all formats are counted Madden would probably top the list either way.

koam

AirBrian said:
Has there been DSL shortages? Or has it finally come back to Earth?

Yeah where have you been? Major shortages though in my area, it is possible to find a ds lite. On a side note, it's absolutely impossible to find a wii here.

LukeSmith said:
What else are Wii owners going to buy?

This is the sad truth. There is nothing to buy :/.

I have a hunch that Wii and DS sales are being driven by little girls. I swear everytime I go into a place like EB Games or Gamestop, the place is packed with them. The prospects of getting more 'teh mature' games on Wii seems bleak at best.

sphinx

the piano man
well, what a strange way to measure things.

why isn't the other SKU of lost planet counted at all then?.

come next holidays, we'll have like 5 variants of halo 3, how will that add up?

Cosmozone

Didn't think Nintendo could ship that many units, good job. My estimation for Wii was around 300k but it was clearly topped. Strange, nobody comments on PS3's performance anymore in this thread. :) I'm not too worried about Sony despite the bad numbers, though. The PS3 is a nice enough system to push an adequate share of units sooner or later. Unless Blu-Ray bombs, perhaps.

KINGMOKU

Moderation Unlimited said:

I have a hunch that Wii and DS sales are being driven by little girls. I swear everytime I go into a place like EB Games or Gamestop, the place is packed with them. The prospects of getting more 'teh mature' games on Wii seems bleak at best.
:lol

WOW.

Link316

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Will Wii gamers turn out to be like Xbox 360 gamers, moving in droves to buy the one hit* title each month?

*Nintendo

that's been happening since the N64, there's no indication that will suddenly change with the Wii

Krowley

Tiktaalik said:
Will Wii gamers turn out to be like Xbox 360 gamers, moving in droves to buy the one hit* title each month?

*Nintendo

I think that is largley caused by the demo downloads on the xbox live service. It's a great way to generate hype for upcoming games. It builds anticipation and people jump from one demo to the next..

It may also happen with the wii once nintendo starts posting game demo's.

AirBrian

koam said:
Yeah where have you been? Major shortages though in my area, it is possible to find a ds lite. On a side note, it's absolutely impossible to find a wii here.
I guess I haven't been paying attention; I had no clue the DSL had shortages in North America.

Branduil

Moderation Unlimited said:

I have a hunch that Wii and DS sales are being driven by little girls
. I swear everytime I go into a place like EB Games or Gamestop, the place is packed with them. The prospects of getting more 'teh mature' games on Wii seems bleak at best.

It's true.

likewagglefn0.jpg

AirBrian

sphinx said:
well, what a strange way to measure things.

why isn't the other SKU of lost planet counted at all then?.

come next holidays, we'll have like 5 variants of halo 3, how will that add up?
It is counted , it's just not in the top 10. When Halo 2 came out, both the regular and SE versions were in the top 10/20 for November (and December IIRC).

well, wario ware is off to a decent start... i wonder how other Wii software compared? 436k is a lot, but only around 150k new adopters bought twilight princess, which means either software is spread out nicely, or not so much (i'm goiing to guss that most pll who purchased wario ware already owned a Wii since it's not really a "system seller"). I wonder how red steel is doing at this point in the game, i think its status would be pretty telling as to the potential for more mature themed content on the Wii... (even if it did suffer from being a poor game at best..)

koam

AirBrian said:
I guess I haven't been paying attention; I had no clue the DSL had shortages in North America.

There was a big bloom in sales as of november and the holidays made the situation worse. DS is selling very well in all 3 major regions.

jwj442

I'm surprised to see how well Warioware did. How did the GBA/DS WW games perform?

The fact that less than half of the Wii buyers got Zelda tells me that the system is selling to more than just the Nintendo fan.

Also, Wii Play is going to sell very well next month. Not really deservingly so - mostly just because of the controller.

rage1973

I predict Crackdown will be the top seller in February going by what I saw on my friend's list last night. 20 out of 78 people on my list were playing Crackdown at one point.

VultureDude said:
well, wario ware is off to a decent start... i wonder how other Wii software compared? 436k is a lot, but only around 150k new adopters bought twilight princess, which means either software is spread out nicely, or not so much (i'm goiing to guss that most pll who purchased wario ware already owned a Wii since it's not really a "system seller"). I wonder how red steel is doing at this point in the game, i think its status would be pretty telling as to the potential for more mature themed content on the Wii... (even if it did suffer from being a poor game at best..)
i think the slowing zelda tie ratio is symptomatic of a couple of things. most zelda fans probably have a cube and are getting frustrated trying to find a wii, and word of mouth with 'non gamers' is increasing meaning that more of the people looking for the system are kind of people that don't care about zelda.

Top Bottom