• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2007

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
LukeSmith said:
What else are Wii owners going to buy?

Who cares? They bought this game, most of them will purchase Zelda. Even without other games it won the month, something the Xbox 360 never did. And who knows how much inventory NA will be getting in the future, maybe it's just the first of many to come, people really want this product. $50 more expensive or not, short supply or not, it's a global(not local) hit.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
Some More tidbits

Not sure if you guys were aware of it or not, but this was a freaking blockbuster month. Sales were up phenomenally in every area except portable HW, since you have to back out 25% of sales because of the longer month.

360 was the single top platform dollar contributor for the month (not the first time that's happened of course)

Playstation Brand 44.09%
Nintendo Brand 30.45%
Xbox Brand 25.46%

U.S. Video Games Industry 1/07 Dollars
January 2006 January 2007 CHG*
Video Games $704mm $1.25B 78.0%
Video Games Hardware $237mm $505mm 113.0%
Console Hardware 158mm $412mm 161.0%
Portable Game Hardware $79mm $92mm 17.0%
Video Games Software $359mm $549mm 53.0%
Console Software $260mm $406mm 56.0%
Portable Game Software $98mm $143mm 46.0%
Video Game Accessories $108mm $198mm 84.0%

Platform Contribution - All Categories (HW, SW, & Accessories)
Dollars Vert % ARP Freq
Xbox 360 $284mm 22.50% $72.80
PlayStation 2 $237mm 18.80% $32.59
PlayStation 3 $205mm 16.20% $150.18
Wii $181mm 14.40% $78.42
Nintendo DS $108mm 8.70% $30.52
PlayStation Portable $107mm 8.50% $42.75
Game Boy Advance $50.8mm 4.00% $23.42
GameCube $40.3mm 3.20% $26.20
Xbox $33mm 2.60% $21.92
Could you edit that into the OP? A lot of people are missing it and most will when the thread moves to page 3. Interesting stuff.

Flo_Evans

sonycowboy said:
Some More tidbits

Not sure if you guys were aware of it or not, but this was a freaking blockbuster month. Sales were up phenomenally in every area except portable HW, since you have to back out 25% of sales because of the longer month.

360 was the single top platform dollar contributor for the month (not the first time that's happened of course)

Playstation Brand 44.09%
Nintendo Brand 30.45%
Xbox Brand 25.46%

Thats kind of interesting... Remember way back when the DS was going to be the '3rd pillar' for nintendo? I wonder if the PS2 and PSP can keep sonys coffers full enough to really do battle with the 360. Fun times indeed (unless you are a sony exec right now I imagine) :lol

rage1973 said:
I predict Crackdown will be the top seller in February going by what I saw on my friend's list last night. 20 out of 78 people on my list were playing Crackdown at one point.

I think the Halo beta thing pretty much guarantees it to have huge numbers

jjasper

Flo_Evans said:
Thats kind of interesting... Remember way back when the DS was going to be the '3rd pillar' for nintendo? I wonder if the PS2 and PSP can keep sonys coffers full enough to really do battle with the 360. Fun times indeed (unless you are a sony exec right now I imagine) :lol

I don't know about PSP but I am sure Sony is thinking/hoping those 299K that got a PS2 this month will like it so much they will get a PS3 sometime down the road.

Branduil

jjasper said:
I don't know about PSP but I am sure Sony is thinking/hoping those 299K that got a PS2 this month will like it so much they will get a PS3 sometime down the road.

The kind of people who are buying a PS2 right now are among the least likely to buy a PS3.

Flo_Evans

jjasper said:

well I think the PS3 biggest problem right now is price. Alot of people say Sony can't afford to drop the price... but who really knows? I kind of hope they go crazy and slash the thing $100 cause it would be intresting to see the numbers and if sony really could survive the hit. Although it would piss me off a bit that I paid full price. :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Forgotten Ancient said:
The PS3 in 5 years will likely be nothing like the PS2 was after 5 years. When will people understand this?

in 5 years?

jjasper

Forgotten Ancient said:
The PS3 in 5 years will likely be nothing like the PS2 was after 5 years. When will people understand this?

What is it going to be exactly? I was expecting a console that has a large game library at a mass market price.

Forgotten Ancient said:

Who is to say? We are in a weird time because a lot of adoption problems with 'HD systems' relates to the slower than expected uptake of HD televisions. When your potential customer base is one tenth the size of the predominatnly SDTV install base, you are going to both see and expect a slower uptake on the product. As the HDTV install base grows and approaches that of the SDTV install base, things may very well flip-flop.

levious said:
in 5 years?

Well, the PS3 != the PS2 at any given parallell point in its life-cycle.

The PS2 would outsell its competitors combined on several months...but, 2 months after launch, it can't even eke out a victory against one if its rivals.

Unless something big happens early to change this trend, Sony will be rushing the launch of the PS4 in 5 years. They are no longer in control of the market.

- edit -

I know these are very preliminary guesses on my part - and guesses are as worthless as anyone elses. But, so far, the two systems are nothing alike aside from the "Playstation" branding.

I would LOVE to be wrong. I have nothing against Sony.

Taurus

PiccoloCube said:
America is the "weakest" DS territory
True, still about to break 10 million barrier. April should be kinda "interesting" with Pokemon Diamond & Pearl coming out. 50 gazillion DSeseses sold confirmed!

tanod

when is my burrito
FINALLY. It's only been 2 weeks since the first January prediction thread. This has been ridiculous. Where's the GAF - NPD version of "thisiswaiting.com?"

January NPD numbers on GAF have travelled a long and perilous road to get to where they are today. They have traversed mountains and valleys to the final epic confrontation where the fanboys gnashed their teeth at each other. It was a war to end all wars. Bodies were falling to the ground all around them. It was a moment that they would never forget. And NOTHING would ever be the same...

If you read editor blogs at 1UP, you'll get this
:D

Chemo

Another special request for Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice For All numbers -- if at all possible (I seem to remember something about it being okay to make special requests for figures). Just want to see how it did right out of the gates.

nice round numbers for all pretty much....ps3 hardware numbers are a bit low for this early in its lifetime.....ps2 just keeps chuggin, and 360 has come into its own.

Sony needs to wait for more quality software on ps3 before they slash the price...need something worth buying on software side to make up the huge losses a cut would cause. Right now the software to cover the loss isnt close to being there.

time to ru to store for a copy of crackdown..cya guys

rage1973 said:
I predict Crackdown will be the top seller in February going by what I saw on my friend's list last night. 20 out of 78 people on my list were playing Crackdown at one point.

Crackdown will easily be #1, though Wii Play shouldn't be too far behind because of how good of a deal it is. Gears, Zelda, New Super Mario, and Guitar Hero 2 should all stay in the top ten. Lost Planet should hang on to a spot in the bottom and Sonic might show up. I wouldn't count out NBA Street Homecourt, either. VF5 most definitely will NOT be there...

Here are my February predictions:

1. Crackdown (360)
2. Wii Play (Wii)
3. Gears of War (360)
4. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
5. Zelda (Wii)
6. NBA Street Homecourt (360)
7. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
8. Zelda (GCN)
9. Sonic (Wii)
10. Lost Planet (360)

What are yours?

OokieSpookie said:
I think the Halo beta thing pretty much guarantees it to have huge numbers

No, I think that the fact that it's an incredibly fun game with a great demo plays just as much of a role. If people just wanted it for the Halo 3 beta they could wait for it and they wouldn't all be playing it on Live right now.

jjasper said:
What is it going to be exactly? I was expecting a console that has a large game library at a mass market price.

There are two other "next-gen" consoles out that look like they will reach that goal far before the PS3 will.

ant1532

Banned
mmlemay said:
=

What are yours?

1. Crackdown (360)
2. Wii Play (Wii)
3. Gears of War (360)
4. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
5. Zelda (Wii)
6. Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3) (As luke said wha else are PS3 owners going to buy)
7. NBA Street Homecourt (360)
8. Zelda (GCN)
9. Sonic (Wii)
10. Lost Planet (360)

mmlemay said:
Crackdown will easily be #1, though Wii Play shouldn't be too far behind because of how good of a deal it is. Gears, Zelda, New Super Mario, and Guitar Hero 2 should all stay in the top ten. Lost Planet should hang on to a spot in the bottom and Sonic might show up. I wouldn't count out NBA Street Homecourt, either. VF5 most definitely will NOT be there...

1. Crackdown (360)
2. Wii Play (Wii)
3. Gears of War (360)
4. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
5. Zelda (Wii)
8. Zelda (GCN)
9. Sonic (Wii)
10. Lost Planet (360)

What are yours?

no VF5? come on now.

Moderation Unlimited said:
Who is to say? We are in a weird time because a lot of adoption problems with 'HD systems' relates to the slower than expected uptake of HD televisions. When your potential customer base is one tenth the size of the predominatnly SDTV install base, you are going to both see and expect a slower uptake on the product. As the HDTV install base grows and approaches that of the SDTV install base, things may very well flip-flop.

UGH. Not this HD penetration crap again.

Mass videogame adoption has never been directly tied to anything but the software library. HD penetration doesn't mean a damn thing to anything but the ultra hardcore AV freaks. To imply that it will somehow turn the tide of the console battle is absurd.

mylilbuddy said:
no VF5? come on now.

Hardcore, elite fighting games are not huge sellers. Even in Japan, of all places, where VF5 is a religion. If I had to take a guess I'd say it will end up around #25 or #30 for the month. I also predicted that Resistance drops out due to weak PS3 sales.

Matthew Gallant said:
You mean, "What else were Wii owners going to buy?"

January was last month.

This month, they are picking up their 2nd/3rd/4th controllers with a side of Wii Play. Some of them will even buy Sonic this week.

jjasper

mmlemay said:

1. Crackdown (360)
2. Wii Play (Wii)
3. Gears of War (360)
4. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
5. Zelda (Wii)
8. Zelda (GCN)
9. Sonic (Wii)
10. Lost Planet (360)

What are yours?
Hmm I'll play:
1) Crackdown (X360)
2) Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
3) Wii play (Wii)
4) Gears of War (X360)
5) NBA Street Homecourt (X360)
6) Zelda (Wii)
7) Resistance (PS3)
8) Sonic (Wii)
9) NSMB (DS)
10) SSX (Wii) (this could be VF5. I think the late release could limit SSX since it will only be out a week)

I also think Zelda cube sales will fall off since the Wii will (hopefully) be more abunant, I know I have finally been seeing some. I also think Resistance will stay in cause all the people last month that bought the system and not the game will realize it is the only thing worth owning on it as of now.

DeaconKnowledge said:
UGH. Not this HD penetration crap again.

Mass videogame adoption has never been directly tied to anything but the software library. HD penetration doesn't mean a damn thing to anything but the ultra hardcore AV freaks. To imply that it will somehow turn the tide of the console battle is absurd.

It has a lot to do with it considering all three plaforms offer quality software. With software being a rather moot factor here (everyone has their specific tastes), you must consider the other factors which contribute to uptake. They are price and perceived value. Wii scores points for price relative to the competition. And Wii gives something new for that relatively low price. PS3/X360 also give something new for their price, but that price is just outside of the mass market range--so price becomes an absolute determining factor rather than a relative one.

mmlemay said:
This month, they are picking up their 2nd/3rd/4th controllers with a side of Wii Play. Some of them will even buy Sonic this week.

Agreed.

I love this double standard that people have. Where are the PS3 titles that people are buying? What was supposed to boost the PS3 above the 360? Hell, even new 360 titles were slim. But for some reason the only question being asked is "where are the Nintendo titles?"

jjasper said:
Hmm I'll play:
1) Crackdown (X360)
2) Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
3) Wii play (Wii)
4) Gears of War (X360)
5) NBA Street Homecourt (X360)
6) Zelda (Wii)
7) Resistance (PS3)
8) Sonic (Wii)
9) NSMB (DS)
10) SSX (Wii) (this could be VF5. I think the late release could limit SSX since it will only be out a week)

I also think Zelda cube sales will fall off since the Wii will (hopefully) be more abunant, I know I have finally been seeing some.

You are probably right about the GCN Zelda sales. Depending on how NPD cuts off the sales period, SSX could only have 3-4 days worth of sales and it's not really a Crackdown-type of instant purchase for the Wii crowd so I'm not sure how it will fare in February.

Moderation Unlimited said:
It has a lot to do with it considering all three plaforms offer quality software. With software being a rather moot factor here (everyone has their specific tastes), you must consider the other factors which contribute to uptake. They are price and perceived value. Wii scores points for price relative to the competition. And Wii gives something new for that relatively low price. PS3/X360 also give something new for their price, but that price is just outside of the mass market range--so price becomes an absolute determining factor rather than a relative one.

Tell that to the XBOX.

It was the superior graphic system which had a lot of the multiplatform PS2 titles. Why didn't it sell 1:1 with the PS2?

There are extenuating factors, and HD penetration is one of them, but you are grossly overstating its importance.

jjasper

DeaconKnowledge said:
Agreed.

I love this double standard that people have. Where are the PS3 titles that people are buying? What was supposed to boost the PS3 above the 360? Hell, even new 360 titles were slim. But for some reason the only question being asked is "where are the Nintendo titles?"

PS3 might have had the worst line up in the history of videogames last month, it had Sonic on 1/31 and that's it.

mmlemay said:
You are probably right about the GCN Zelda sales. Depending on how NPD cuts off the sales period, SSX could only have 3-4 days worth of sales and it's not really a Crackdown-type of instant purchase for the Wii crowd so I'm not sure how it will fare in February.

Yeah I thought about that which is why I put in the possiblity of VF5, come to think of it though I think MLB has a better chance of having a strong start to get in the top then than SSX.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Agreed.

To be fair, the 360 had a lot more to play at launch and we all knew that big, AAA games were coming in March. The Wii has a couple of pretty decent 3rd party titles, Super Paper Mario in April, and not much else until the big 3 hit.

rage1973

How can you say release on 360 is slim this month when the platform is getting Crackdown, NBA Street, MLB 2k7 within 2 weeks of each other. All of these will be big sellers for the platform. There are also smaller releases like Bullet Witch, DDR Universe, and Samurai Warriors 2: Empires.

Bo130

Wii Play is gonna be interesting. It's a great system seller / second game, mainly because of the extra controller, but it's kinda late out in the US compared to how it worked in EU and JP. It'll do well, but if it had been earlier, I'd expected it to beat Crackdown, actually.

rage1973 said:
How can you say release on 360 is slim this month when the platform is getting Crackdown, NBA Street, MLB 2k7 within 2 weeks of each other. All of these will be big sellers for the platform. There are also smaller releases like Bullet Witch, DDR Universe, and Samurai Warriors 2: Empires.

The 360's been out a year. Plus I was referring to January titles.

Dante

DeaconKnowledge said:
Agreed.

Because over the next couple weeks PS3 owners are getting:

VF5
Tekken DR
flOw
F1
Motorstorm
Calling All Cars
God Of War 2 ( yeah I know )
Oblivion

well atleast I'll be picking these up :)

Dante said:
Because over the next couple weeks PS3 owners are getting:

VF5
Tekken DR
flOw
F1
Motorstorm
Calling All Cars
God Of War 2 ( yeah I know )
Oblivion

well atleast I'll be picking these up :)
So you're counting PS2 and PSN titles? C'mon.

rage1973

LightningZero5 said:
Impressive Vegas sales for 360. That game came out in November right? A Ubi game with legs is a rarity, I hope it stays up.
All Tom Clancy series games on 360 has sold pretty well. Vegas would have sold much more if it wasn't for GOW taking all the hype this holiday season.

Dante

DeaconKnowledge said:
So you're counting PS2 and PSN titles? C'mon.

I'll give you the PS2 game which is why I added a comment, but I don't see why you can't add PSN stuff. Tekken DR could easily be a full retail title.

Top Bottom