• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Holy shit.

Wish I could find out what my predictions were for sales numbers; it's a really old comment tho and I don't feel like searching for it right now. But I know I didn't have XBO at half PS4's numbers. Those PS4 numbers are actually probably better than average for January but I know those XBO numbers are well below the average.

I honestly don't see XBO getting a lead for NPD until TitanFall, and now I'm seriously doubting even that.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Pretty sure both the PS2 and the Wii blew 300k easy. It's less so that this January is awful, and more so that PS4 is performing pretty well, while the XB1 is flubbing hard. So the combined next-gen number doesn't look too hot.

The Wii was over 400K (436K). PS2 was I think like 300K based on some #s people posted before.

Sydle

I wonder how much Mattrick's name has been cursed today.

The ONLY thing they can do at this point to bolster sales without bleeding massive amounts of money or pissing anyone off is a Kinect-less SKU.

SenjutsuSage

Halo TV Series Promoter - Live from: Reach
lol i thought I saw everything. People are comparing the first January of other xbox consoles to the newest one to predict doom when the newest one is already selling significantly better than either of those 2? You're a strange lot. :)

BigDug13

Bottom line:

Sony is still selling every PS4 they are building. MS is now no longer selling every XBO they're building.

Next gen isn't doomed here. During a worldwide launch and while they're able to produce maybe a bit more than 1 million consoles per month, they sold 350,000ish just in the US during that month. Nothing doom-and-gloom worthy here.

nib95

Banned
Ok updated numbers besides the PS4 for January.

US:
PS4: 2,003,000
Xbox One:1,960,000 *Jan estimate included*

UK:
PS4: 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:
PS4:157,000
Xbox One:35,000

France:
PS4: 240k
Xbox One:126k

AU:
PS4: Outsold the Xbox One
Xbox One:65,917*first 3 days*

Germany:
PS4 250K
Xbox One 100K

Portugual:
PS4:21k

You should do the totals too.

Miles X

Talk is all great, but without the hardware to back it up, it means shit. If the X1 was more powerful than PS4, 1080p vs 720p and etc., they would still be in the lead. Once again, if both companies are providing the same experience and services, power does matter big time.

lol what. No. The price is the biggest reason, all the bad press in 2013 the second.

Damn I was hoping MS would adopt Xbox Family or ecosystem

lol i thought I saw everything. People are comparing the first January of other xbox consoles to the newest one to predict doom when the newest one is already selling significantly better than either of those 2? You're a strange lot. :)

indexkcjzj.jpg

Problem is 1 out of 3 is doing solid. The other 2 are in major trouble. This is not good at all for sales to drop off so fast. The pent up demand of a generation being 3 years late should of spurred sales much longer. This is not good I can imagine anyone making a next gen only title reconsidering it now.

Well to be fair, even the XBO is tracking ahead of all other gaming platforms in the history of the game industry right now, although that is likely to change soon.

Overall sales have been very high, over 4 million next-gen platforms sold within 3 months is high by any standards. PS4 is currently at more than double what PS2 was at at a comparable point in it's life.

I'm looking at January 2007 NPD sales of PS3, 360 and Wii and thinking the Industry is screwed.

Not only was PS4 supply constrained, there is no alternative to the Wii this time - no $250 dollar wonder box.

There's going to be a big market contraction for sure, but anyone thinking that part of the market was here to stay was always deluding themselves.

Daemul

It was very supply constrained (and still is actually). Stores in my district don't have a single copy of the game and haven't since almost release.
Is this in the US. In the UK the game is not doing so well, less than 40k sales in 2 weeks with nearly a million next gen consoles in the wild.

KoopaTheCasual

PS2 sold less than that in Jan because of supply problems if i remember right .
The Wii was over 400K (436K). PS2 was I think like 300K based on some #s people posted before.
Ahh, thank you. That actually makes me feel a lot better. I want the PS4 to track over the PS2 in every territory, so it can make up for the shifting demand in Japan. Still, really want Nintendo and MS to make some serious moves, and get off their asses.

I'm looking at January 2007 NPD sales of PS3, 360 and Wii and thinking the Industry is screwed.

Meh. Sales of consoles & console games to very young kids is screwed because the parents just buy them 99 cent games to play on tablets. So the industry lost a chunk of their market. But the hardcore stuff seems to keep selling.

KageMaru

That's what you get for launching a more expensive system. Once the launch hype begins to die down and the hardcore of hardcore gamers has your system, price will play a bigger role for the rest of your target market.

So if that XBO HW number is right then that means PS4 sold around <286k. Wii U first January: 55k, PS4: <286k, XBO: ~143k

That must sting for all those people who kept saying the Wii U's historic failure was a sign of things to come for the PS4/XBO.

Less than?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm expecting 3DS OG at 149.99, 3DS XL at 169.99 soon and, around September - October, 2DS at 99.99 (then, 79.99 on Black Friday). I'd love to see game prices going down in general, but I fear it won't happen.

Next console must come in Fall 2015 / Q1 2016, not later.

Obviously 2014 is up on 2013 due to simply having new hardware to sell, but that's not what I'm arguing. 2013 was already an incredibly shitty year for sales that was only excused by many because new consoles were coming soon. I'm legitimately curious if this is down on 2012 total hardware sales. Don't give me "wii casuals are gone," firstly they were already gone by 2012, secondly it's not exactly as if those sales don't count for whatever reason, a contraction in the market is a contraction in the market.

For reference, PS4+Xbone+Wii U Jan 2014 is down on PS3+X360 2007 (without even including Wii) unless Wii U beat everyone's predictions. Not to mention, PS2 was still outselling both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (I beleive. I know the former is true, and I'm pretty sure of the latter.) There's nothing like that this time around. There's no clear group of people buying last gen systems ready, indicating a group of people ready to transition and expand the next generational market. There's no good way to spin this. This is a disaster for everyone but Sony.
We don't actually have any numbers for the 360 and PS3 yet...

Again what exactly are you expecting? Put a number to it? Did you expect the PS4 and Xbox One to surge the hardware market back up to 12M units where they peaked last time around immediately? Is that what's disappointing, the lack of instant turnaround?

During the last generational transition the TTM for Sony and Microsoft's combined systems hit a low at 7.9M, before beginning to recover. You've taken a point in time at Jan 2007 when they had already almost returned to the historical watermark.

Are you saying you don't expect them to be able to return to this historical watermark of around 10M TTM?

*For the purpose of this exercise I'm ignoring Nintendo's systems, since they're anomalous in both their success with the Wii and their failure with the Wii U.

A contraction in the market is a contraction in the market, okay but it ignores the nuance of the software those markets buy and the implications that has on publishers. If I'm Ubisoft I'm far more concerned about the future of Just Dance now than I am about the future of Assassin's Creed. Because these numbers don't go towards a conclusion of their not being a "core" market for these home console devices.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

It really should only be worrying that the number is not higher because the console is so easy to find. No need to compare it to past Xbox consoles.

quest

Not Banned from OT
um nope. The ps2 era was completely dominant, same with ps1 and software development was as vibrant and varied as it has ever been in history.

And software was cheaper to make back then. If this market shrinks to Sub PS2 generation levels which it is looking highly likely. There won't be enough market to support all those varied games. Hell won't be enough to support anything but the anual top dog franchises with such a small market.

Great news. This means PS4 will be the lead platform going forward. Now MS is going to start trying to buy off more 3rd party exclusives.

nib95

Banned

I have no idea what this post even means, but the Xbox One has sold considerably less in January than both the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Wii did in their first January months, so take from it what you will.

ascii42

Not only was PS4 supply constrained, there is no alternative to the Wii this time - no $250 dollar wonder box.

There's going to be a big market contraction for sure, but anyone thinking that part of the market was here to stay was always deluding themselves.

Plus the previous generation systems are older than the PS2 was at this point. The PS2 was still pretty dominant sales-wise in 2006 and 2007.

Wow.

When I heard 2x XB1 I was like MS you really screwed yourself but PS4 didn't really sell through anything significant either, so maybe they are both screwed. I still have hope for PS4 though, really disappointed in MS this gen.

Personally I don't see how MS can claw themselves out of this one, investors don't want Xbox and their design team were clearly incompetent or otherwise not very forward looking. Every multiplat game will look worse and word of mouth will really stop any real traction. Japan is already lost before it started and Europe is looking that way too. And now Sony is increasing their lead in NA too. Unless Mexico becomes a major gaming nation, MS decides to dump millions into exclusives or manages to pick up another few Minecrafts, it's already over.

I know. We just had fuzzy math for the other thread on PS4 sales doubling and I never expect One to be that low so I was thinking PS4 was at least 300k+ still not Wiilike, but very high for a supply constrained console.

The question is when are we going to get a better look at the market in usa .
Sony launch in so many countries it may take another 2 to 4 months for us to get a better idea how they doing here .
It's kind of crazy they already out in 50 plus countries and we know Feb not going to be any better with there supply problems with Japanese launch .

Is a very big drop.

Nothing really important or definitive right now, but shows that outside of the early adopters there's not much of a interest on Xbox One, or rather than PS4 is a more valuable product for ppl.

That's worrying. Even you should be able to see that.

SenjutsuSage

Halo TV Series Promoter - Live from: Reach
Lets get this party started!

If this is what you call a party, I fear for your sanity. ;D

Is a very big drop.

Nothing really important or definitive right now, but shows that outside of the early adopters there's not much of a interest on Xbox One, or rather than PS4 is a more valuable product for ppl.

That's worrying. Even you should be able to see that.

A drop that was bound to happen considering record setting launch numbers that are only topped, I think, by the PS4. Am I mistaken? Either way, the first 3 months of the year were always the ones I was most paying attention to, because I thought they would tell us the most about the effect of the $100 price difference between the two machines. If it's true that the PS4 practically doubled the Xbox One's numbers, then that sounds within expectations of what should happen when one system is $100 more expensive than the other, and we are no longer in the holiday shopping season. That said, still too early to draw conclusions. Let's see February and March roll in, and see where things are at then. Then again, I'm almost tempted to not read too much into a possible Titanfall boost in sales, as if a boost does occur, it may not exactly represent the norm, thus making April -- where things should calm a bit -- more important than March. Nonetheless, solid numbers for Sony and the PS4. A healthy industry indeed. If the trend of doubled sales continues, then, yes, that would be reason for concern, but, again, too early right now.

Spin this for me then: almost 50% less than its supply constrained competitor. Should we predict doom, or a lifetime in second place?

Top Bottom