• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Bottom line:

Sony is still selling every PS4 they are building. MS is now no longer selling every XBO they're building.

Next gen isn't doomed here. During a worldwide launch and while they're able to produce maybe a bit more than 1 million consoles per month, they sold 350,000ish just in the US during that month. Nothing doom-and-gloom worthy here.

You are probably close to overestimating by 75K

B.O.O.M

lol i thought I saw everything. People are comparing the first January of other xbox consoles to the newest one to predict doom when the newest one is already selling significantly better than either of those 2? You're a strange lot. :)

Shaking-My-Head.gif

Do we have actual numbers yet or are we still using estimates?

You do realize that NPD numbers are also estimates, right?

(They're 90-95% real numbers and 5-10% estimates).

So if we don't have the exact figure on GAF, it doesn't really matter because the NPD number isn't exact either.

Lynn616

ouch good point. some of those things are said consistently though.

My question is, when does NOTHING get added to the chalkboard

Looking at u WIIU

The only thing I have consistently heard on that board is Titanfall and price drop. Titanfall will only help for a month at most. Price drop will help no doubt.

Drainer

Banned
The chalkboard only works if you have a bunch of people saying those things will save the X1.

Also only seems to work if the console in question isn't tracking ahead of it's predecessor?

Wasn't the PS3 at Gamecube levels in the early stages? Hence why it "needed saving"?

I would argue its already happened with ks and indies, the barrier of entry to the market is lower than ever
That much I can agree with.

But you're not likely to see the breadth of $50 large investments of that generation either. That was my main point. Because a packaged ware selling for $50 and over has meaty expectations held to it. Something a huge chunk of the development community can no longer afford to do.

Now how is THAT possible.

If 3DS sales collapsed to less than 50k it's possible.

That or they don't include handhelds and SCEA are now blissfully ignoring their own handheld.

The second seems more likely as really Sony should have included Vita in their column.

Well, now that the bullshit is out of the way, MS can drop the Kinect forced bundle.

Easiest decision ever.

And I'm still probably going to buy a PS4.

Miles X

I doubt Sony or Bloomberg would lie about this.

They're likely not including handhelds.

For it to be true you basically think PS3 is up YOY and ahead of 360 ect. Bare in mind it did 299k in December, you're expecting something like that again this month.

nib95

Banned
Wow.

When I heard 2x XB1 I was like MS you really screwed yourself but PS4 didn't really sell through anything significant either, so maybe they are both screwed. I still have hope for PS4 though, really disappointed in MS this gen.

PS4 sold more in its first January NPD than the PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Wii U. Maybe people's expectations were just too high? Plus the console is still supply constrained.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Microsoft is going to start with bundles and Titanfall. If/When that fails to help them reach PS4 numbers, they'll go with an official price drop, more bundles, and probably money hat (3 month) a couple more games.

Wounded Microsoft will be a sight to behold lolol

Do we have actual numbers yet or are we still using estimates?

Microsoft has declined to give an actual console number for the first time in donkey's years, indicating that the Xbone got thoroughly stuffed. We'll be using estimates for the time being, although we'll be waiting for the leakers to confirm.

Xater

Great news. This means PS4 will be the lead platform going forward. Now MS is going to start trying to buy off more 3rd party exclusives.

The more the PS4 leads the less likely it is that people will go for those deals. It would mean that they will lose out on too many sales on PS4.

Sean

Banned
It was obvious that PS4 would begin to pull ahead after the holiday, but I expected it to be a little closer (60-40 split) than this.

Microsoft must be panicking a bit, they are in for a rough couple of months at least.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Miles X

PS4 - 280k
XB1 - 143k
360 - 120k
PS3 - 90k
WiiU - 60k
Wii - 30k

PS4/PS3 - 370k

XB1/360/Wii/WiiU - 353k

That's one scenario.

I'm noticing more are moving to "graphics don't matter" on the boards/Facebook/Twitter, but the market is telling us that people care.

AngryMoth

If 2:1 becomes the status quo (or maybe an even bigger ration worldwide considering the US is the xbox's strongest market), that actually might put Sony in a position to start cutting deals for significant 3rd party exclusives which would be really nuts. MS have got to fix their price problem fast.

KoopaTheCasual

Wow.

When I heard 2x XB1 I was like MS you really screwed yourself but PS4 didn't really sell through anything significant either, so maybe they are both screwed. I still have hope for PS4 though, really disappointed in MS this gen.

Personally I don't see how MS can claw themselves out of this one, investors don't want Xbox and their design team were clearly incompetent or otherwise not very forward looking. Every multiplat game will look worse and word of mouth will really stop any real traction. Japan is already lost before it started and Europe is looking that way too. And now Sony is increasing their lead in NA too. Unless Mexico becomes a major gaming nation, MS decides to dump millions into exclusives or manages to pick up another few Minecrafts, it's already over.
PS4 is still tracking above the PS2. Hardly screwed. XB1 isn't screwed either, but they need to make some major moves if they wanna stay competitive.

The more the PS4 leads the less likely it is that people will go for those deals. It would mean that they will lose out on too many sales on PS4.

Depends on how much money MS will offer up. If all else fails MS will release it's next console in 4 years to try and beat out Sony again if they do another console.

IGN

Nintendo reports that Wii U software sales increased by 16% over January of last year. Pokemon X and Y sold more than 125,000 combined units in the US in January, bringing their total sales to more than 3.25 million in the United States. US Super Mario 3D World sales reached 655,000 in January, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds sales hit 715,000.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/13/ps4-leads-us-hardware-sales-in-january

No 3DS or Wii U hardware number must mean they aren't good.

Pretty sure both the PS2 and the Wii blew 300k easy. It's less so that this January is awful, and more so that PS4 is performing pretty well, while the XB1 is flubbing hard. So the combined next-gen number doesn't look too hot.

No. No console except the Wii has ever hit 300k in its first January.

Top Bottom