• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Odysseus said:
well, some sales-agers are more reliable than others and certainly better than going to some place offsite, and donny2112 has a couple graphs of note earlier in the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7544257&postcount=1060

eyeballing it (and counting nodes), it appears ps3 is slightly ahead of the pace set by 360, largely due to having a stronger presence in japan. the key is that while sony is performing in line with how 360 did, it has not yet started to really close the gap.
Indeed.

Thanks a lot, mate! ;)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Metalmurphy said:
I didn't say the PS3 would be #1 did I? oO But tbh, a due to the Wii being mainstream and its low price, i see 2 consoles coexisting in this generation. I don't see a room for both the PS3/360 though.

WTF? Both the 360 and PS3 have great exclusive games. They both will be around for years to come.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
besada said:
Yes, it is, because as many as half of the people you're talking about didn't predict it that way. Again, the GAF aggregate doesn't tell you how many people predicted one way or another, it tells you what the aggregate votes came out to, which takes into account the large numbers that predicted Sony would overshoot the 360 and the numbers who said it wouldn't. So if half the group said it wouldn't, then saying most is certainly disingenuous.
The PS3 outsold 61% of the predictions here. You may not like the definition of "most", but I used it accuarately. Especially compared to your use of the word when you said "most people...expected the PS3 to outsell the 360..." Although there were some notible people predicting the PS3 would outsell the 360, only 38% of GAF agreed with that. You might not like me using a sample of GAF to speak for the whole of GAF, but that's what polls, samples and averages are used for... it's not disingenuous, paticularly when the majority of the people invloved in this thread's discussion were involve in the prediction thread. Furthermore, the fact that I went to so much trouble to gather and calulate these percentages indicates that I'm not being insincere or disingenouos. Obsessive, yeah! But not disigenouos.

mckmas8808 said:
WTF? Both the 360 and PS3 have great exclusive games. They both will be around for years to come.
I didn't say otherwise, i just don't think most people will buy both consoles, they'll choose one over the other. I see alot of people buying the Wii + another one cause the Wii is cheap and somehow a "different" console, but i don't see most of them buying a 360 and a PS3 since they're not cheap and basically the same "type" of console.

But hey, that's just me :p No need to hate me for that.

sonycowboy said:
For North America

This holiday is a pivotal year and we'll see this generation's clear winner come out of it. The race for #2 is going to greatly be in the 360's favor over the 360 because of:

a) The huge deficit will take into 2009 to overcome at the absolute best

b) The momentum the 360 might get from Halo 3, Bioshock, & Mass Effect along with the price drop may well cement in many hardcore and casual gamers that the 360 is going to be their system of choice for the 360/PS3 games out there.

PS3 is absolutely going to be in a huge hole and it's going to take gargantuan effort in 2008 and beyond for them to overcome the 360 in the west.

Yup, the holiday season is a very, very pivotal point in the year for hardware manufacturers. How big of an impact does it make? Well, I took a look at the sales of several systems in their first holiday season (November and December), and I then compared those two months of sales versus the rest of the entire year. Here are the results for the following systems:

360 - 41%
GC - 45%
PS2 - 46%
Xbox - 47%

So, in a span of just two months, they have represented between 41 - 47% of total sales for the ENTIRE year. (Sorry, I couldn't do this for every other year, as those numbers are on a different computer).

This November and December are going to be HUGE and like Sonycowboy said, I think a clear winner can be declared at that point.

Farore said:
It's Tales spin-off on the PSP... did you seriously expect it on the top 10?
Well, PSP has no software in top20 overall and we know how much software it sells. It would surprise me that the #10 best selling PSP title has sold more than 20k. Tales has pulled some >20k starts so it had a chance. I wouldn't be bitter if Korean TOSE's Final Fantasy I powered by RPG Maker wasn't 4th :lol

bdoughty

Banned
Lobster said:
Didn't you hear bdoughty? Nintendo gamers don't buy yearly additions to games.

Apparently YOU didn't hear me.

* I said yearly additions to sports games.
* I have never once claimed the Wii would not be a success. Just that traditional sports games will not sell on the Wii as the years go by.
* NCAA would not sell very well on Wii.
* Let's wait for Aug 07, which is the first time we get to see year two of Madden and how it performs on the Wii.

Plenty of fishing, bowling and party sports games that will do just nicely on the Wii.

PleoMax

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I didn't say otherwise, i just don't think most people will buy both consoles, they'll choose one over the other. I see alot of people buying the Wii + another one cause the Wii is cheap and somehow a "different" console, but i don't see most of them buying a 360 and a PS3 since they're not cheap and basically the same "type" of console.

But hey, that's just me :p No need to hate me for that.

Yeah there can be only one. And we both agree that...the triple simply isn't up to the snuff

Jammy

Banned
bdoughty said:
Apparently YOU didn't hear me.

* I said yearly additions to sports games.
* I have never once claimed the Wii would not be a success. Just that traditional sports games will not sell on the Wii as the years go by.
* NCAA would not sell very well on Wii.
* Let's wait for Aug 07, which is the first time we get to see year two of Madden and how it performs on the Wii.

Plenty of fishing, bowling and party sports games that will do just nicely on the Wii.

Wii owners am smart confirmed.

bdoughty

Banned
Jammy said:
Wii owners am smart confirmed.

Publishers seem to disagree. Looking down the Coming Soon list at EBgames is like walking down the PC Budget Gaming Isle. Except for with the PC you can find a few of these trinkets for much less than $39.99.

Aug/Sept

Brunswick Pro Bowling
Carnival Games

Metroid Prime 3 (exception to rule)
Tiger 08 (sales plummet due to little improvements)

Pool Party
Cosmic Family
Fishing Party
Mercury Meltdown

My Sims (exception to rule)
Balls of Fury

DDR (exception to rule)

Dewey's Adventure
Dragon Blade
Hot Wheels
Backyard Football

* Not even a single hockey game. Getting ready to head into year two and the closest thing you have to next gen hockey is shown in my avatar.

But hey on the PC you do not have the advantage of waggle.

nextgeneration said:
This November and December are going to be HUGE and like Sonycowboy said, I think a clear winner can be declared at that point.
I really agree with this notion. I believe the battle for 2nd place will be decided by the end of this Christmas (Wii has assured itself of being the 1st place winner a while ago), and unless Sony drops the price of the PS3 to $399, I can't see them coming close to keeping up with the 360 this holiday season.

I think MS will sell over 1.5 million 360s in November and December of this year, in the US alone.

itsgreen

Maxwell House said:
I really agree with this notion. I believe the battle for 2nd place will be decided by the end of this Christmas (Wii has assured itself of being the 1st place winner a while ago), and unless Sony drops the price of the PS3 to $399, I can't see them coming close to keeping up with the 360 this holiday season.

I think MS will sell over 1.5 million 360s in November and December of this year, in the US alone.

I think even more, as I wont be surprised if there is a second price drop coming in that time frame.

Maxwell House said:
They did 1.6 last year; if the price drop and Halo 3 don't increase things at all I'd be very surprised.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
bdoughty said:
Publishers seem to disagree. Looking down the Coming Soon list at EBgames is like walking down the PC Budget Gaming Isle. Except for with the PC you can find a few of these trinkets for much less than $39.99.

Aug/Sept

Brunswick Pro Bowling
Carnival Games

Metroid Prime 3 (exception to rule)
Tiger 08 (sales plummet due to little improvements)

Pool Party
Cosmic Family
Fishing Party
Mercury Meltdown

My Sims (exception to rule)
Balls of Fury

DDR (exception to rule)

Dewy's Adventure (awesome exception to the rule)
Dragon Blade
Hot Wheels
Backyard Football

* Not even a single hockey game. Getting ready to head into year two and the closest thing you have to next gen hockey is shown in my avatar.

But hey on the PC you do not have the advantage of waggle.

fixed

sonycowboy said:
For North America

This holiday is a pivotal year and we'll see this generation's clear winner come out of it. The race for #2 is going to greatly be in the 360's favor over the 360 because of:

a) The huge deficit will take into 2009 to overcome at the absolute best

b) The momentum the 360 might get from Halo 3, Bioshock, & Mass Effect along with the price drop may well cement in many hardcore and casual gamers that the 360 is going to be their system of choice for the 360/PS3 games out there.

PS3 is absolutely going to be in a huge hole and it's going to take gargantuan effort in 2008 and beyond for them to overcome the 360 in the west.

Yeah, I completely agree with this.

As far as i'm concerned, if Sony doesn't pull some mega-bomb out of its pocket before Christmas (and all signs point to that not happening) The lead the 360 amasses in the US this holiday will be insurmountable for Sony worldwide.

Gamasutra has their analysis up. Some interesting graphs there for NCAA and Guitar Hero 2. Here's GH2:

gh2-ltd-small.gif

PS2 version was obviously boosted by launching during the holiday season, but they both have similar legs. Also:

Gamasutra said:
The really striking thing is that nearly one in six Xbox 360 owners also own the Xbox 360 version of Guitar Hero II. By comparison, only 1 in every 18 PlayStation 2 owners have purchased that version. It's not that the PlayStation 2 market isn't still making money for publishers, but the buying habits of Xbox 360 owners may make them a more lucrative target in the coming months

of course, we knew about those 360 owners already :lol

There's also some Wii 3rd party doom and gloom in the article :p

jvm

Gamasutra.
soul creator said:
Gamasutra has their analysis up. Some interesting graphs there for NCAA and Guitar Hero 2.
Thanks for the comments. I'm the author and wouldn't mind hearing comments here directly. ;^)

While I've got someone's attention, does anyone have total industry revenue figures for 1994-1995-1996? I really wanted to add those to the graph at the end...

jvm said:
Thanks for the comments. I'm the author and wouldn't mind hearing comments here directly. ;^)

While I've got someone's attention, does anyone have total industry revenue figures for 1994-1995-1996? I really wanted to add those to the graph at the end...

Really nice article there. Check your pm.

tanod

when is my burrito
jvm said:

I've really enjoyed the gamasutra analysis the last couple months. Aside from 1UP, it's the only article on NPD that doesn't read like a press release. Great writing and analysis.

Also, sonycowboy and driley, is it at all possible to get the top 10 per platform LTD or the top 10 per platform (monthly like we did this month) except with some software numbers, if only for the top 3 or 5 games?

Driley, what kind of reasoning/methodology does NPD use to determine that Wii Play and other bundled software shows up on the software chart. If you do it with Wii Play and the controller and Guitar Hero 2, why not Wii Sports and the Wii or other bundled titles as well?

EDIT: JVM - Here's an interesting angle you might want to look at to dig a little deeper into the 40% growth the industry has right now. Seperate the price component from quantity by taking the average retail price (if you have that information) of the top 10 titles of this year divided by last year's. That will help to account for the high price of Guitar Hero, and next-gen games costing $60, both of which would have a significant impact on industry revenue growth for 2007 and the end of 2006.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
AstroLad said:
Guitar Hero 2 continues to do absurd business. Guitar Hero 3 is going to be monstrous. I feel bad for Rock Band having to be in that shadow sales-wise.

Yep, Guitar Hero 3 vs. Rock Band will likely be another example of the inferior product enjoying better sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jvm said:

Nice analysis, but I find your Wii 3rd party analysis a bit faulty when you use the examples of Harry Potter and The Bigs Wii- while its true they charted at the bottom of the Wii top 10, unless I'm missing something, those games didn't chart on the top 10 of either the 360 or PS3 charts. Seems a bit incorrect to use those as examples of poor third party sales when they sold worse on the other new gen consoles.

jvm

Gamasutra.
tanod said:
EDIT: JVM - Here's an interesting angle you might want to look at to dig a little deeper into the 40% growth the industry has right now. Seperate the price component from quantity by taking the average retail price (if you have that information) of the top 10 titles of this year divided by last year's. That will help to account for the high price of Guitar Hero, and next-gen games costing $60, both of which would have a significant impact on industry revenue growth for 2007 and the end of 2006.
I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment, but I did some investigation of pricing of top 10 games with and without GH2 at Next-Gen recently. I don't have ARP further back than in that article, regrettably.

Here's the link to that stuff.

DarkMage619

Gamasutra Article said:
Nintendo was the only hardware manufacturer whose own titles appeared in the top ten this month. This has become the norm for Wii and Nintendo DS software: the top-selling software is always published by Nintendo of America while third parties scramble for whatever money Nintendo fans have left over.

This point in particular was very interesting. If this is true, how does a Wii dominiated industy help 3rd party developers? This does not even consider devs who want to push graphical boundries in their games. I am very interested in seeing if 3rd parties truly flock to the Wii now that it is clearly the best selling platform. If a system has millions more units in people's homes but your titles don't sell on it, should it still be considered the market leader?

The Dark One

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jvm said:

Pretty nice article you have there.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
DarkMage619 said:
This point in particular was very interesting. If this is true, how does a Wii dominiated industy help 3rd party developers? This does not even consider devs who want to push graphical boundries in their games. I am very interested in seeing if 3rd parties truly flock to the Wii now that it is clearly the best selling platform. If a system has millions more units in people's homes but your titles don't sell on it, should it still be considered the market leader?

The Dark One

This previous NPD is somewhat telling

Nintendo still has their games dominate sales
Microsoft has long developed a role for 3rd party to share in the spotlight
Sony is following Nintendo, but none of their major PS3 games have hit yet.

felipeko

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One
DS already showed us that hardcore games can sell more in a expanded userbase. Wii is just mirroring it.

And all games are selling on the expectations (Shovelwares) or above it (RE4, DQS).

If developers care about Wii userbase they will sell. If they don't care, we won't care either (they can burn in hell).

Saitou

Banned
Gamasutra said:
lol 3rd parteez no sell on wii
Was this really necessary?

I also fail to see how having only two PS3 games in the top thirty could possibly construed as a "good thing" for Sony.
But that's just me.

The YTD Revenue chart is a real eye-opener, however.

tanod

when is my burrito
Agent Icebeezy said:
This previous NPD is somewhat telling

Nintendo still has their games dominate sales
Microsoft has long developed a role for 3rd party to share in the spotlight
Sony is following Nintendo, but none of their major PS3 games have hit yet.

Measurements like 1st party and 3rd party attach rates are what companies are really going to look at and would be interesting to see. Unfortunately, we will never see NPD's attach rate numbers on those since that's probably really valuable (sales wise) to them.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One
With no common third party games in the top 20 we'll just have to wait a bit longer to see how third party games can sell on the Wii compared to other systems.
It's not like 1st party games don't make up the majority of the 360's best selling games tis year (GOW, Forza, Crackdown, and coming soon Halo 3). The 360 just had a string of strong 3rd party licenses last month, none of which were released on Wii.

If you look at the UK sales charts, there are more 3rd party titles ranking on Wii than on the 360 or PS3 ... even with Nintendo dominating the software side. So there is room for both.

Honestly, we see such a small snapshot of sales data anymore that any of these debates have little supporting evidence. Capcom doesn't care about NCAA Football or Guitar Heros II ... they (and ever other company) are only concerned about how their own products are selling. We no longer have that information.

schuelma

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

Again, using the examples the article cited...Harry Potter and BIGS Wii actually sold better on the Wii as opposed to 360 and PS3.

beef3483

Who else thinks that these people who claim third party games don't sell on Wii probably couldn't name one single third party game they want?

Bad games shouldn't sell.

felipeko

beef3483 said:
Who else thinks that these people who claim third party games don't sell on Wii probably couldn't name one single third party game they want?

Bad games shouldn't sell.
When they do (Red Steel) it's bad either..

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One
Your second paragraph got cut off

"This point in particular was very interesting. If this is true, how does a Wii dominiated industy help 3rd party developers? This does not even consider devs who want to push graphical boundries in their games. I am very interested in seeing if 3rd parties truly flock to the Wii now that it is clearly the best selling platform. If a system has millions more units in people's homes but your titles don't sell on it, should it still be considered the market leader?

The Dark One"

Why do third parties have to sell well in relation to Nintendo? If Nintendo sells 2 or 4 million copies of several games, and they dominate the Wii charts, what does that matter to a developer that is able to spend 3 million dollars to build a game in 8 months, that goes on to sell, say, 400K? With such a massive userbase, this is what will happen. It's just like how only the top publishers-- EA, Acitivision, Take Two and Sony dominated the software charts for the PS2, but it still got hundreds of games from other development houses. There were still thousands of games for the PS2 that never sold anywhere near the top tier of software.

That's also a safer investment than sinking in 20 million and 2-3 years to build a game for a system like the 360 or PS3 that has a much smaller userbase, and still won't sell a huge amount. Only a few games will.

I think by 2009 we'll see publishers putting out several dozens of Wii games for lots of smaller chunks of profit without all the risk for the Wii, as opposed to putting a few very expensive and risky eggs in a 360 or PS3 basket each couple of years. These systems are just too costly to develop for, and now it is apparent that they will be distant in userbase.

Developers don't have to vie for the top spots with Nintendo. They'll be happy turning profits, which they will have a much harder time doing without a focus on Wii/DS development.

Flakster99

A big point that isn't being discussed much these days, is that the average to good games are needed to sell as well, and are equally key to building a user-base, just as much as the epic, expensive games are.

The console that finds a nice give and take between the two, nets the bigger userbase. Not just one, or the other, as history suggests.

Speaking on a pure userbase/ having both kinds of support level as I mentioned, I wish folks could remember the 16-bit era, where the SNES's userbase managed themselves just fine with quality 1st and 3rd party games.

We are in a different era, however, Nintendo has themselves on the market's pulse and it's tastes once again, so why couldn't a Nintendo console inflict the same "sales disease" as they once have. And more importantly, the pulse is shared throughout all markets, which is another key for software/publishers.

D3VI0US

First off that PC growth in the chart doesn't cover digital distribution or subscription sales I bet as most other reports don't.

As far as Nintendo and 3rd party support is anyone really that surprised? Nintendo has always been shitty to devs but that has strengthened their own presence on their platforms and they could easily change that but I doubt they need to or want to. I mean devs are a few steps behind cause of all the secrecy about the hardware features before launch and the nature of the console itself. Now we have issues with 3rd parties wanting to use Mii's and EA will be the first with Fifa 08 but it's just another example of Nintendo being in control, EA's hard to refuse everyone else isn't. Now look at the recent Metroid viral marketing using WiiConnect24, no point in keeping that on if it's just good for that but I doubt 3rd parties will have access to that feature for a while and Nintendo will liberally spam us with the upcoming Mario, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. 3rd parties are at a disadvantage, just take a look at the Top 10 Wii for this month.

MONTH RANK TITLE PUBLISHER DATE

2 1 PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07
1 2 MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-07
** 3 MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-07
4 4 RESIDENT EVIL 4 CAPCOM USA Jun-07
3 5 POKEMON BATTLE REVOLUTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jun-07
5 6 SUPER PAPER MARIO NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
7 7 LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-06
8 8 THE BIGS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-07
** 9 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX ELECTRONIC ARTS Jun-07
** 10 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07

6 of the top 7 and that's most of the Nintendo games out. Now lets take a look at the top 10 for a platform with a much healthier 3rd party ecosystem, the DS.

1 1 POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
2 2 POKEMON PEARL VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
** 3 RATATOUILLE THQ Jun-07
** 4 TRANSFORMERS: AUTOBOTS ACTIVISION Jun-07
3 5 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-06
4 6 MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-05
** 7 TRANSFORMERS: DECEPTICONS ACTIVISION Jun-07
6 8 HANNAH MONTANA DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS Oct-06
** 9 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX ELECTRONIC ARTS Jun-07
** 10 ANIMAL CROSSING: WILD WORLD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Dec-05

5 of the top 10 and look at the release dates on some of those 1st party titles. Nintendo games are what people buy Nintendo platforms for and 3rd party games compete against the entire Nintendo catalog as they are evergreen, they print money. Who would want to even bother trying to compete against Nintendo? They have a development headstart as the platform holder and with the Wii conceptually it's a huge advantage cause of the different thinking it requires. Then there's the fact that their games are usually the best on the console so it's not like their success is undeserved. The quality fuels the demand for their properties. As far as nostalgia goes their franchises are is second to none and the huge amount of marketing dollars thrown behind Nintendo's games helps I'm sure. Not exactly the most attractive proposition if you ask me.

PS3 is in trouble, they suffered two huge blows that have me surprised. First they didn't outsell 360, they got the console into respectable sales territory but with MS answering right back with their drop they're still one step behind and seemingly always will be. That wouldn't be so bad if not for the Paramount HD-DVD announcement which is a huge blow to Blu Ray, Transformers is huge, killer app. I still think Blu Ray wins with all of Sony's vertical integration but now the war will be prolonged to the point where it hurts PS3's sales potential.

^^^^^

Read what I wrote above. Why do people think that third parties have to straight up compete with Nintendo? Go look at a top ten chart for sometime last gen, and see how many EA or Activision games are on there. If the Wii userbase continues to grow to super massive levels, and then coupled with the shorter development spans and cheaper development costs, then developers won't NEED to compete with Nintendo.

Here ya go:

The top ten from the 360, PS3 and PS2:

** 1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
2 2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION Mar-07
** 3 NASCAR 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
** 4 ALL PRO FOOTBALL 2K8 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jul-07
5 5 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07
3 6 THE DARKNESS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-07
8 7 OVERLORD CODEMASTERS Jun-07
10 8 GEARS OF WAR* MICROSOFT Nov-06
6 9 DIRT CODEMASTERS Jun-07
1 10 FORZA MOTORSPORT 2 MICROSOFT May-07

Top 10 PS2
LAST RELEASE

** 1 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION Jul-07
** 2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
3 3 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07
1 4 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION Nov-06
2 5 NARUTO: ULTIMATE NINJA 2 NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA Jun-07
** 6 NASCAR 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
** 7 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX ELECTRONIC ARTS Jun-07
** 8 RATATOUILLE THQ Jun-07
5 9 MLB '07: THE SHOW SONY COMPUTER ENT. Feb-07
10 10 GUITAR HERO ACTIVISION Nov-06

Top 10 PS3
LAST RELEASE

** 1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
2 2 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA TECMO Jun-07
1 3 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS UBISOFT Jun-07
** 4 NASCAR 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
6 5 RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN SONY COMPUTER ENT. Nov-06
5 6 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07
3 7 THE DARKNESS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-07
** 8 ALL PRO FOOTBALL 2K8 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jul-07
7 9 MOTORSTORM SONY COMPUTER ENT. Mar-07
4 10 MLB '07: THE SHOW SONY COMPUTER ENT. May-07

What do you see over and over there? EA, Activision, Take Two [insert Sony or MS] over and over again. Look at the last 5 years of charts. Guess what you'll see? EA, Activision, Take Two..etc..etc..rinse and repeat over and over again...

In fact, the Wii and DS charts are pretty much the same, except more Nintendo and just one title from EA, Activision, and you guessed it...Take Two, instead of 2 or 3 from each and just one MS or Sony title. I think I'd rather take the former top ten in a heartbeat.

And look at the facts: most major third parties already HAVE changed over to the Wii/DS and lessened support of the others to make up for it. How many articles have there been to suppor this? The Capcom/Namco/Sega article. EA. Ubi Soft. Smaller developers that can't afford to make games for the expensive PS3 etc..

People are just looking to spin the typical "rules" of how things work in this industry and have always worked because they are in denial that Nintendo and the Wii is here to dominate big time over the next few years. It's like when you see a PS3 fanboy try to say that graphics sell systems, and that it wasn't the huge usernase headstart for the PS2 that got it all the games, and made it such a success. But last gen the PS2 blew the Xbox out of the water in both hardware sales, and the amount and quality of software. I guess that also kills the new spin argument about how 'developers want to make games with good graphics'.

schuelma

Frillen said:
Why do NPD threads always end up with how third-party is doing on Nintendo Wii/DS talk?

It's all that is left to debate. The "Wii am Fad" argument thankfully has just about stopped.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
just wondering: How much cheaper (if any) is it to be making a game on the Wii hardware compared to the Gamecube when it first launched?

donny2112

Frillen said:
Why do NPD threads always end up with how third-party is doing on Nintendo Wii/DS talk?

Nintendo is dominating the industry with Wii/DS at an almost PS2 level, so people who are used to ignoring Nintendo as the third-place console maker and "that handheld company" need something to hold on to. The third-party myth has already been disspelled in Japan for the DS due to blunt-force trauma to the heads of developers/publishers via sales. It may take something just as severe to get Western developers thinking the same way (U.S. is 12-8 million in favor of DS over PSP while Japan is 19-6 million). If Wii follows the DS, end of 2008/2009 ought to be a huge coming out party for third-party Wii games in Japan.

schuelma said:
It's all that is left to debate. The "Wii am Fad" argument thankfully has just about stopped.

Let's face it: half of the negative Wii memes have been started in some way by 1up Yours and now that Luke Smith is gone that initiative got cut off at the head.

schuelma

DeaconKnowledge said:
Let's face it: half of the negative Wii memes have been started in some way by 1up Yours and now that Luke Smith is gone that initiative got cut off at the head.

This is true.

Top Bottom