• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

VALIS said:
That's not because of the 360, it's because most of these companies are/were in the transition between last gen and this gen. This happens every single generation transition.

New game engines, smaller userbases across the board -- the monies are always tight in a new gen until a few years into it when the userbases swell and devs know where and how to invest their manpower and resources.
Still, the point remains that the 360 alone cannot sustain those many publishers further complicated by the Wii limiting the 360's marketshare quite severely. Also, Nintendo managed to stay very profitable, even gain marketshare despite hardware transitions.

I'll give you THQ but the others, including EA are in pain.

LM4sure

Banned
VALIS said:
That makes no sense at all. If it were difficult for 3rd parties to make money on the 360 then there'd be a huge uproar and crisis since they aren't making money anywhere else right now. 360 software sales are great every single month, this has been noted time and again. When a complete piece of junk like Tenchu Z sells 100K in under a month on 360, believe me, people are making money there.

Well that is why you are seeing so many publishers going multi-platform. No more exclusive deals. And if there is an exclusivity agreement, guess what? That publisher is getting PAID by Microsoft or Sony!! If a crappy game like Tenchu sells 100k, then yes, it will make money, but there is probably very little invested in that game. A game that is in development for a long period of time will need to sell millions to make a decent profit. The 360 cannot do it alone. Hello PS3!!!! and Wii! :lol

VALIS

titiklabingapat said:
Capcom lost 14% in profits. EA lost a staggering 67% despite Madden 360 selling very well.

Again, this is erroneous. You are taking entire HUGE game companies and trying to tell me the 360 should be making up all their losses in other divisions. How? Just because the companies have been unprofitable lately doesn't mean all their projects are bombing. In fact, I've read that the 360 has been the main steady source of income for a lot of publishers in the last year or so.

Now, if their 360 projects weren't making profit singularly, that's another case. But that's not what you're saying.

titiklabingapat said:
Still, the point remains that the 360 alone cannot sustain those many publishers further complicated by the Wii limiting the 360's marketshare quite severely.

Of course, I don't think the 360 could support huge publishers like EA or Capcom by itself. No way. No console could.

What I am saying is the 360 is in a great position with publishers (and yes, primarily Western ones so far). The software sales numbers say so. These companies would be smart to expand or adjust resources to the Wii, but they're not going to be shifting resources away from the 360 to do that, is what I'm saying. They will be shifting resources from other areas.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
You'd be amazed how cold most publishers STILL are on Wii. When we take out Wii projects the general attitude still seems to be the Wii is a fad, albeit a successful one, but it's time will soon pass and the accumulated audience doesn't want real, substantial games outside of first party titles.

VALIS

LM4sure said:
Well that is why you are seeing so many publishers going multi-platform. No more exclusive deals. And if there is an exclusivity agreement, guess what? That publisher is getting PAID by Microsoft or Sony!! If a crappy game like Tenchu sells 100k, then yes, it will make money, but there is probably very little invested in that game. A game that is in development for a long period of time will need to sell millions to make a decent profit. The 360 cannot do it alone. Hello PS3!!!! and Wii! :lol

I'm not arguing with that. The only thing I'm arguing against is the idea that publishers will shift resources away from the 360 because the Wii is selling better on a monthly basis. They might shift more resources to the Wii, but there's no reason to think they'll be coming from the 360.

LM4sure

Banned
VALIS said:
In fact, I've read that the 360 has been the main steady source of income for a lot of publishers in the last year or so.
QUOTE]

That's weird. I read it was the PS2 that was a steady source of income. Craziness.

LM4sure

Banned
VALIS said:
I'm not arguing with that. The only thing I'm arguing against is the idea that publishers will shift resources away from the 360 because the Wii is selling better on a monthly basis. They might shift more resources to the Wii, but there's no reason to think they'll be coming from the 360.

PS3 then?

Grecco

jetjevons said:
You'd be amazed how cold most publishers STILL are on Wii. When we take out Wii projects the general attitude still seems to be the Wii is a fad, albeit a successful one, but it's time will soon pass and the accumulated audience doesn't want real, substantial games outside of first party titles.

Those publishers are stupid then. Let Ubisoft , EA and Activision get all the money, their loss

VALIS said:
Again, this is erroneous. You are taking entire HUGE game companies and trying to tell me the 360 should be making up all their losses in other divisions. How? Just because the companies have been unprofitable lately doesn't mean all their projects are bombing. In fact, I've read that the 360 has been the main steady source of income for a lot of publishers in the last year or so.

Now, if their 360 projects weren't making profit singularly, that's another case. But that's not what you're saying.
I'm not denying that the 360 projects are not profitable, just not enough to support the whole company as a whole which you seem to agree with. And yes, if companies heavilly support the 360, it stands to reason that the 360 support should at least offset the bombas if the 360 software sales are that lucrative.
Of course, I don't think the 360 could support huge publishers like EA or Capcom by itself. No way. No console could.

What I am saying is the 360 is in a great position with publishers (and yes, primarily Western ones so far). The software sales numbers say so. These companies would be smart to expand or adjust resources to the Wii, but they're not going to be shifting resources away from the 360 to do that, is what I'm saying. They will be shifting resources from other areas.
Oh I agree with you. Keeping 360 and Wii resources separate is fine for now. The current 360 support level might even be sustainable but not if they continue supporting the PS3, too.

LM4sure

Banned
Yeah, I'm probably right. The PS3 will suffer the most. With such a small owner base, publishers are not going to devote resources to it. So they have a choice: shift resources to the 360 or Wii. With the current craze surrounding the Wii at the moment, that is probably where support will go. Or the 360, depending upon sales of past games. Should be interesting to see...

Odysseus

Banned
VALIS said:
Someone had a more likely idea earlier - companies will likely expand and/or re-designate other resources to make more Wii stuff, not shift 360 projects over there.

i disagree with that whole premise, at least under the scenario that there are competent publishers around. jetjevon's post kind of makes me wonder.

resoursces are not infinite, companies aren't just going to say "ok, we need to hire some dedicated wii teams. we need to take this pool of money that is otherwise unallocated and give it to these guys over here and have a wii operation." for a big company like electronic arts, perhaps that plan is almost feasible. the average publisher or developer?

teams are already expanding as it is due to the complexity of making games for ps3 and 360. budgets are stretching. now they're going to expand further to handle the wii? is the money there for them to do it? what about the talent pool? are there even enough qualified candidates to hire? where will they put them? new offices?

no, it's primarily going to work the way it always has. publishers will look at projected returns on investments and direct their efforts accordingly. there's room for expansion, yes, but to assume all or even most wii-devoted resources will be the product of expansion is just wishful thinking.

Branduil

DavidDayton said:
Now, I will admit that the Halo part isn't ALWAYS part of such posts, and it did stick out a tad, but the same posts are appearing again and again and again. It feels somewhat akin to someone standing outside an amusement park and shouting (over the fence and at the folks inside) "YOU AREN'T HAVING ANY FUN!" repeatedly, trying to be heard over the screams from the coasters.

Or something like that.

I love this analogy.

VALIS

Odysseus said:
i disagree with that whole premise, at least under the scenario that there are competent publishers around. jetjevon's post kind of makes me wonder.

resoursces are not infinite, companies aren't just going to say "ok, we need to hire some dedicated wii teams. we need to take this pool of money that is otherwise unallocated and give it to these guys over here and have a wii operation." for a big company like electronic arts, perhaps that plan is almost feasible. the average publisher or developer?

teams are already expanding as it is due to the complexity of making games for ps3 and 360. budgets are stretching. now they're going to expand further to handle the wii? is the money there for them to do it? what about the talent pool? are there even enough qualified candidates to hire? where will they put them? new offices?

no, it's primarily going to work the way it always has. publishers will look at projected returns on investments and direct their efforts accordingly. there's room for expansion, yes, but to assume all or even most wii-devoted resources will be the product of expansion is just wishful thinking.

I agree, expansion is least likely, except for behemoths like EA. But you keep lumping the PS3 and 360 together in terms of financial assurance for potential publishers when they're in totally different stratas right now.

If the same title were released on the 360 and PS3 simultaneously, how much do you think the 360 version would outsell the PS3 version by? 4:1? 5:1?

So while they're both the "HD consoles" of this gen, it's wrong to assume they both have the same financial risks and rewards. 360 hardware sales overall could be defined as mediocre, but software sales have been good-to-great across the board. People don't take their money away from good-to-great.

Odysseus

Banned
VALIS said:
I agree, expansion is least likely, except for behemoths like EA. But you keep lumping the PS3 and 360 together in terms of financial assurance for potential publishers when they're in totally different stratas right now.

If the same title were released on the 360 and PS3 simultaneously, how much do you think the 360 version would outsell the PS3 version by? 4:1? 5:1?

So while they're both the "HD" consoles of this gen, it's wrong to assume they both have the same financial risks and rewards. 360 hardware sales overall could be defined as "mediocre," but software sales have been "good to great" across the board. People don't take their money away from "good to great."

even looking at 360 as the biggest piece of the 360/ps3 pie, adoption for these two consoles is lagging far behind last generation, using ps2/360 launches as the respective starting points. even adding wii to the mix, we're still ~3 million off. and adoption of 360/ps3 is in no way going to accelerate to match ps2/xbox/gamecube anytime soon. companies have three options: (1) keep the ps2 in the mix, even though that market is on the decline, (2) hope for a miracle with 360/ps3 pricing strategies, and/or (3) take a long, hard look at that rapidly expanding wii base. it will, after all, be the worldwide market leader soon enough (if it isn't already) and will pass the 360 in america sometime next year.

no one is suggesting that ps3/360 projects will be cancelled. but will fewer be announced in lieu of wii development? i'd say so.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
VALIS said:

So while they're both the "HD consoles" of this gen, it's wrong to assume they both have the same financial risks and rewards. 360 hardware sales overall could be defined as mediocre, but software sales have been good-to-great across the board. People don't take their money away from good-to-great.
So are you suggesting these publishers cut back on the PS3 ports from 360 games? I don't see this happening since the cost of porting those titles from the 360 to the PS3 shuld be low enough to make the additional sales they would make on those titles worth it. This is why so many publishers will continue to use the 360 as the lead SKU the way they used the PS2 as the lead SKU last gen.

Frillen

Fuzzy said:
So are you suggesting these publishers cut back on the PS3 ports from 360 games? I don't see this happening since the cost of porting those titles from the 360 to the PS3 shuld be low enough to make the additional sales they would make on those titles worth it. This is why so many publishers will continue to use the 360 as the lead SKU the way they used the PS2 as the lead SKU last gen.

You're wrong with your last statement there. Big name developers like EA, Ubisoft and Activision all had the Xbox versions of their well known franshises as leading Skus.

Between MS and Nintendo's xmas lineup, there is no mercy.

16.gif

Frillen said:
You're wrong with your last statement there. Big name developers like EA, Ubisoft and Activision all had the Xbox versions of their well known franshises as leading Skus.

:lol

Oh really?!

67% not true. Ubisoft did, but Activision & EA? Please.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
jetjevons said:
Name them. Namco/Bandai, EA, UBI, THQ, Sega, Rockstar say the exact opposite. So who are these publishers? Just seems odd especially since not even a month ago we were hearing stories of developers pitching 360/PS3 games to publishers and the publisher telling them to take em back bring them 4 or 5 Wii pitches instead. There seems to be a lot of demand for compotent Wii projects right now that publishers are willing to throw money at.

Frillen

iceberg187 said:
Very wrong. UBI was practically the only one. NFL2K5 lead on the Xbox as well.

Ah, damn. I'm sorry then ;) I've always thought the Xbox was the lead platform with EA's Sports titles, but I was wrong.

sonycowboy said:
Massive thanks to the folks at NPD. All of these are based on unit sales.

NOTE: Updated with top 10 per platform

Massive thanks to the folks at NPD. All of these are based on unit sales.

TOP 20 VIDEO GAME TITLES
LAST RELEASE
MONTH RANK TITLE PLATFORM PUBLISHER DATE

** 1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
** 2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S PS2 ACTIVISION Jul-07
2 3 PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07
** 4 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 PS2 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
1 5 MARIO PARTY 8 WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-07
** 6 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
3 7 POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
12 8 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME PS2 ACTIVISION Jun-07
6 9 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR PS2 ACTIVISION Nov-06
7 10 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR 360 ACTIVISION Mar-07
4 11 POKEMON PEARL VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
** 12 MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-07
9 13 RESIDENT EVIL 4 WII CAPCOM USA Jun-07
** 14 NASCAR 08 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
** 15 RATATOUILLE NDS THQ Jun-07
** 16 TRANSFORMERS: AUTOBOTS NDS ACTIVISION Jun-07
14 17 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-06
** 18 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA PS3 TECMO Jun-07
** 19 ALL PRO FOOTBALL 2K8 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jul-07
8 20 POKEMON BATTLE REVOLUTION WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jun-07

Top 10 Wii
LAST RELEASE
MONTH RANK TITLE PUBLISHER DATE

2 1 PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07
1 2 MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-07
** 3 MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-07
4 4 RESIDENT EVIL 4 CAPCOM USA Jun-07
3 5 POKEMON BATTLE REVOLUTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jun-07
5 6 SUPER PAPER MARIO NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
7 7 LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-06
8 8 THE BIGS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-07
** 9 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX ELECTRONIC ARTS Jun-07
** 10 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07

Top 10 360
LAST RELEASE

** 1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
2 2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION Mar-07
** 3 NASCAR 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
** 4 ALL PRO FOOTBALL 2K8 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jul-07
5 5 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07
3 6 THE DARKNESS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-07
8 7 OVERLORD CODEMASTERS Jun-07
10 8 GEARS OF WAR* MICROSOFT Nov-06
6 9 DIRT CODEMASTERS Jun-07
1 10 FORZA MOTORSPORT 2 MICROSOFT May-07

Top 10 PS2
LAST RELEASE

** 1 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION Jul-07
** 2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
3 3 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07
1 4 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION Nov-06
2 5 NARUTO: ULTIMATE NINJA 2 NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA Jun-07
** 6 NASCAR 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
** 7 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX ELECTRONIC ARTS Jun-07
** 8 RATATOUILLE THQ Jun-07
5 9 MLB '07: THE SHOW SONY COMPUTER ENT. Feb-07
10 10 GUITAR HERO ACTIVISION Nov-06

Top 10 PS3
LAST RELEASE

** 1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
2 2 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA TECMO Jun-07
1 3 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS UBISOFT Jun-07
** 4 NASCAR 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
6 5 RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN SONY COMPUTER ENT. Nov-06
5 6 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07
3 7 THE DARKNESS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-07
** 8 ALL PRO FOOTBALL 2K8 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jul-07
7 9 MOTORSTORM SONY COMPUTER ENT. Mar-07
4 10 MLB '07: THE SHOW SONY COMPUTER ENT. May-07

Top 10 DS
LAST RELEASE

1 1 POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
2 2 POKEMON PEARL VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
** 3 RATATOUILLE THQ Jun-07
** 4 TRANSFORMERS: AUTOBOTS ACTIVISION Jun-07
3 5 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-06
4 6 MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-05
** 7 TRANSFORMERS: DECEPTICONS ACTIVISION Jun-07
6 8 HANNAH MONTANA DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS Oct-06
** 9 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX ELECTRONIC ARTS Jun-07
** 10 ANIMAL CROSSING: WILD WORLD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Dec-05

Top 10 PSP
LAST RELEASE

2 1 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION Jun-07
5 2 GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Oct-05
8 3 MIDNIGHT CLUB 3: DUB TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-05
4 4 FINAL FANTASY SQUARE ENIX INC Jun-07
1 5 MLB '07: THE SHOW SONY COMPUTER ENT. Feb-07
7 6 GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Nov-06
9 7 NEED SPEED: MOST WANTED ELECTRONIC ARTS Nov-05
6 8 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS UBISOFT Jun-07
10 9 DAXTER SONY COMPUTER ENT. Mar-06
** 10 STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II LUCASARTS Nov-05
Top 10 GBA
LAST RELEASE RETAIL
MONTH RANK TITLE PUBLISHER DATE PRICE

1 1 POKEMON FIRERED W/ADP NINTENDO OF AMERICA Sep-04 $20
2 2 POKEMON LEAFGRN W/ADP NINTENDO OF AMERICA Sep-04 $20
4 3 POKEMON EMERALD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-05 $35
5 4 SUPER MARIO WORLD: SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 2 NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-02 $21
7 5 MARIO KART: CIRCUIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA Aug-01 $21
8 6 CARS THQ Jun-06 $20
9 7 POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: RED RESCUE TEAM NINTENDO OF AMERICA Sep-06 $30
3 8 SPIDER-MAN 3 ACTIVISION Apr-07 $30
10 9 SUPER MARIO ADVANCE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jun-01 $20
** 10 NARUTO: NINJA COUNCIL 2 D3PUBLISHER OF AMERICA Oct-06 $19

Top 10 Accessories
LAST RELEASE
MONTH RANK PLATFORM/ITEM MANUFACTURER DATE

2 1 WII NUNCHUK CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-06
1 2 WII REMOTE CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-06
6 3 PS3 SIXAXIS WIRELESS CONTROLLER SONY COMPUTER ENT. Nov-06
3 4 PS2 8 MEG MEMORY CARD SONY COMPUTER ENT. Oct-00
7 5 360 LIVE 1600 POINT GAME CARD MICROSOFT Nov-05
8 6 WII POINTS CARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-06
10 7 XBX ECLIPSE CONTROLLER PELICAN Mar-05
4 8 WII CLASSIC CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-06
** 9 NDS LITE STARTER KIT BENSUSSEN DEUTSCH May-06
** 10 PS2 MEMORY CARD 8 MEG NYKO Jun-01
Joke post, sc? Where are (at least the rounded up) sales for each title?

Odysseus said:
uh, he's posting what he's posting by permission from npd. you are well aware of this.
We made a deal w/ the NPD back in November where we receive addition data exclusive to GAF (meaning you won't find it also on IGN, PRs, etc.) b/c we're apart of 'the elite media'; you are aware of this.

Odysseus

Banned
Square2005 said:
We made a deal w/ the NPD back in November where we receive addition data exclusive to GAF (meaning you won't find it also on IGN, PRs, etc.) b/c we're apart of 'the elite media'; you are aware of this.

we made no deal at all. neogaf agreed with npd that we couldn't just post all of npd's proprietary data for free. in exchange for neogaf's cooperation, npd would provide data to neogaf administration that could then be posted without restraint. this (the op) is the data they have released thus far. enjoy.

DavidDayton said:
someone standing outside an amusement park and shouting (over the fence and at the folks inside) "YOU AREN'T HAVING ANY FUN!" repeatedly, trying to be heard over the screams from the coasters.

That's exactly how I feel a lot of the time. I'm so, so sick of the "Wii is only for casuals" and "Wii has no good games" BS. I'm a hardcore gamer, and the Wii library is shaping up nicely. Nintendo's machines have always been for the hardcore (despite the 'everyone invited' signs hanging from them), and the Wii is no different--except that it's popular.

Odysseus said:
we made no deal at all. neogaf agreed with npd that we couldn't just post all of npd's proprietary data for free. in exchange for neogaf's cooperation, npd would provide data to neogaf administration that could then be posted without restraint. this (the op) is the data they have released thus far. enjoy.

I said it right after that deal/agreement was made: I smell a rate in that 'agreement' (something to that effect) while everyone was celebrating that the NPD considered us apart of the 'elite media' and would provide top 20 sales PLUS some requested sales, remember!?

But that never happened we only got crumbs. We should at least get what was promised to us, no? You can probably find what sc posted on the NPD's own website, no need to be provided by them with it!
I can't believe people love only receiving the top 10 overall over what the NPD said they'd provide us or atleast what the mods said the NPD would provide us as they negotiated this deal.

Odysseus

Banned
Square2005 said:
I said it right after that deal/agreement was made: we were screwed by that 'agreement' (something to that effect) while everyone was celebrating that the NPD considered us apart of the 'elite media' and would provide top 20 sales PLUS some requested sales, remember!?

But that never happened so we were screwed. We should at least get what was promised to us, no? You can probably find what sc posted on the NPD's own website, no need to be provided by them with it!
I can't believe people love only receiving the top 10 overall over what the NPD said they'd provide us or atleast what the mods said the NPD would provide us as they negotiated this deal.

i'm picturing lando liking his deal with darth vader less and less. but seriously, what negotiations? npd said "you can't post this," neogaf said "ok." you are not entitled to any data.

Odysseus said:
i'm picturing lando liking his deal with darth vader less and less. but seriously, what negotiations? npd said "you can't post this," neogaf said "ok." you are not entitled to any data.
You don't remember huh. Go back and look for that thread from December; where evilore says they've negotiated a deal w/ the NPD...

Odysseus

Banned
Square2005 said:
You don't remember huh. Go back and look for that thread from December; where evilore says they've negotiated a deal w/ the NPD...

i do remember, but i'm not going to go crying because we're not getting as much as we thought when in actuality we're not entitled to jack. it appears we're getting the standard media output, more or less, and it is what it is. tell me, what does neogaf have to offer npd in this exchange? you do realize that if npd pressed the issue about our habit of posting the full data, neogaf could probably disappear under an avalanche of legal documents.

909er

titiklabingapat said:
I'm not denying that the 360 projects are not profitable, just not enough to support the whole company as a whole which you seem to agree with. And yes, if companies heavilly support the 360, it stands to reason that the 360 support should at least offset the bombas if the 360 software sales are that lucrative.

Look, Capcom made a cheap ass (in terms of cost) port of RE4 to the Wii that is selling very well. So, why isn't that success offsetting the losses? It's all the 360's fault right?

TwinIonEngines said:
Oh damn! I already knew that they were well past quantity for $150 GameCube and still selling astronomically better, but this is just nuts.
For GameCube, having a good non-holiday month meant it got over 100K. Clearly hitting 300K, 400K, or more in the slow time of year is chewing through all that pretty quickly. Not as quickly as Japan where it will take over GCN LTD by the end of a single year, but still quick.
Odysseus said:
it's so hard to get a handle on the way the rest of the year will play out, at least in terms of quantities. will nintendo be able to manufacture enough wiis? how in the world are holiday shoppers going to react to a $500/600 ps3? i certainly can't call it. tentatively, i'm thinking something along these lines
My version would look a little different, but that looks in the ballpark of reasonable. Certainly it's closer than some extreme possibilities that sometimes get brought up, like "1 million X360s in September", or "No holiday bump at all for Wii".

Odysseus said:
i do remember, but i'm not going to go crying because we're not getting as much as we thought when in actuality we're not entitled to jack. it appears we're getting the standard media output, more or less, and it is what it is. tell me, what does neogaf have to offer npd in this exchange? you do realize that if npd pressed the issue about our habit of posting the full data, neogaf could probably disappear under an avalanche of legal documents.
THe NPD is like that they won't even allow data as old as 1993 to be made public even tho they don't even sell it? Why? Why keep it secret for over 14 years?
Meanwhile we get Famitsu TOP 30 WEEKLY + media-create for free & as far back as 1986?

Man I hope ioi is able to someday gain 65% of the market, as the NPD has, (less than what famitsu has btw) & put the NPD out of the videogame tracking market due to their absurd prices & lying so we'll have what we've always had w/ Box Office sales, Nelson ratings, Vg sales from Japan, etc. - U.S. VG sales that don't cost $15,000+/yr!

The game sales tracking needs competition, not a monopoly!

909er said:
Look, Capcom made a cheap ass (in terms of cost) port of RE4 to the Wii that is selling very well. So, why isn't that success offsetting the losses? It's all the 360's fault right?
it's only been out a couple of months. we don't know how capcom have been doing for those months. for all any of us know it is offsetting the losses.

Square2005 said:
THe NPD is like that they won't even allow data as old as 1993 to be made public even tho they don't even sell it? Why? Why keep it secret for over 14 years?
Meanwhile we get Famitsu TOP 30 WEEKLY + media-create for free & as far back as 1986?
Heh, if you know someplace that's listing the actual unchanged Famitsu data publicly back to 1986, I'd be interested.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Square2005 said:
Man I hope ioi is able to someday gain 65% of the market, as the NPD has, (less than what famitsu has btw) & put the NPD out of the videogame tracking market due to their absurd prices & lying so we'll have what we've always had w/ Box Office sales, Nelson ratings, Vg sales from Japan, etc. - U.S. VG sales that don't cost $15,000+/yr!

ioi does not have any of the required background in statistics to develop a sampling model. Not only will he be unable to find the right numbers, he'll also be unable to know whether or not he is right or wrong.

What is the CI for VG CHARTTZTZTZ? What's the PI? What's the required sample size for retailers? What's the variance in observed data?

The only way that ioi knows how good his predictions are is measuring them against known good data. NPD can tell you their margin of error for every piece of data they gather; they can not only tell you the actual sales, they can tell you exactly how certain they are that they're right.

Saying that you hope ioi gets big is like people here saying they hope Pachter is fired. If you think NPD's job is as simple as "hey EBGames how much did RE4 sell?" or that Pachter's job is "I think XBOX will sell 4 units this month", it just shows how little knowledge goes in to these types of posts.

donny2112

I sympathize with Square2005. I think he's going at it a little too hard, but I sympathize. Famitsu/Enterbrain does great with Japanese sales.

Free weekly top 30 with LTDs (2 weeks behind).
Bi-annual top 100s with LTDs (within a month after the half years).
Sell a book that has analysis, a sampling of worldwide data, and a top 500 with LTDs for the year (8 months behind) for ~$200.

If NPD offered a book with the Top 500/1000 (Japanese top 500 goes to < 20K; U.S. top 500 would be more like just < 100K, so a top 1000 would be better) for ~$200 eight months out of date, I can think of quite a few here who would jump on that like a drowning man on a piece of wood. We don't want to make huge financial decisions on this data, so paying > $100K is out of the question. We just like to know what the games sold like.

I'm extremely thankful that we get hardware and a top 10 with numbers, though. Something is still better than nothing. :)

Top Bottom