• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Raist

Banned
Huh, 425k Wii sold, and only 2 games in top 10 ? One being wii play with remote ? oO

Nice numbers overall. I'm a bit surprised the PS3 didn't do better than that. I guess the price drop had less appealing factor than the starter pack in Europe

pswii60

Kintaro said:
Well...considering I've been playing nothing but PS2 games as of late, I guess I should have no problem welcoming our new PS2+ level tech master called the Wii. :lol

Good lord MS and Sony (PS3) are fucked.

Software sales beg to differ, at least with the former.

Mrbob

Wow. Sony needs to get the PS3 down to $399.99 in NOVEMBER of this year.

Kintaro said:
Well...considering I've been playing nothing but PS2 games as of late, I guess I should have no problem welcoming our new PS2+ level tech master called the Wii. :lol

Good lord MS and Sony (PS3) are fucked.

X360 seems to be chugging around at roughly the same rate regardless of the competition. We'll see how the price drop helps out. We won't see Wii levels of sales but it could be a competitive second. Combined with how software sales are on X360 MS has put together a winning combination where they can't be ignored over the next 4 to 5 years.

GhaleonEB

So the PS3 exactly doubled in week-week sales, and the 360 went up 7% (before the price cut). I'd expected 360 sales to drop a bit, impacted by the PS3 cut, not increase. (I had predicted 150k for 360.) Color me surprised. I think it bodes well for the 360 price drop, that it was already rising, probably based on the release of NCAA. Madden and maybe even Bioshock could help move hardware as well.

A good start for the PS3, but I don't think it has a shot to outsell the 360 for the rest of the year.

Holy SHIT at the Wii. Just wow.

Fireye

Wow, amazing view --> post conversion on this thread, nearly 1:1. 358 posts, 359 views!

Is this the first time, in any market, that the DS has lost to the Wii?

JavyOO7

_leech_ said:
Isn't that an August game?

Oh wow, according to Wikipedia Strikers came out 7/30. So I think it had like an entire week of sales. 100k in 8-9 days isn't so bad at all. Sweet...

sonycowboy said:
NEW RULE.

The images in these threads provide absolutely no value. If you post one after this point, you're going to get banned.

Best I can do is...

darthvadarnoooooooooooo.gif

We get these once a month. The gifs and images are 75% of the fun. :(

Now that MS has a killer holiday and early 2008 line up, a fifty dollar price drop, and since all the hardware problems are going to soon be fixed, MS will probably see considerable increases. Outside of a few temporary bumps, the PS3 will probably remain a distant 3rd in NA.

Evlar

Banned
Shawn128 said:
I'm a little new to these NPD threads, excuse me while I ask this question:

NPD = U.S. sales data? Worldwide data?

If it's just US, what tracks Europe and Japan?
US only. There's also NPD Canada which usually releases about the same time (but was posted earlier this time around). Japan is tracked by two services which report weekly, Media Create and Famitsu/Enterbrain, you can find the weekly Media Create thread on the first or second page of GAF at pretty much any time. Europe is tracked by a patchwork of smaller services that mostly restrict the public posting of information which is why Europe is typically the least well understood of the sales markets.

cvxfreak

Capcom expected to sell 460K copies of RE4 Wii by March 2008.

They sold 100K in Japan and 250K in the U.S. And they sure as hell sold more than 110K in PAL territories. And we have August sales in the west, too. Wow.

michaeld

Banned
Look at this gm from PS3forums
It looks like PS3 still is supply constrained... this will obviously be taken care of by christmas and PS3 will by then have outsold 360 worldwide. 360 being its only next gen competitor will then be in a respectable second, and PS3 in first, while Wii continues to strugle against PS2.

schuelma said:
The problem is by the time the PS3 reaches that point, it will most surely be too late.

You know, this argument doesn't become any less stupid with time. Too late for what? Hell, most of NeoGAF would have argued that it was too late after the January NPDs. A solid game library and a decent price point, and the system will be off, previously declared "dead" or not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just to clarify--

Super Mario Strikers Charged selling more than 100,000 in one tracked week does NOT make it a bomb.

Scum

AniHawk said:
Some LTDs:

Pokemon DP: 2,973,100 (missing Pearl for July)
Guitar Hero 2 (360): 958,000
Mario Party 8: 917,000
Wii Play: 1,691,000
I can't believe how quickly MP8 is to reaching non-game status! Madness! o_O

How long before a wii in almost each family ?
I know it may not be revelant by i have the luck to work with mainly womens between 25 and 35 years old
no i'm not a pimp :lol
and some of them have a Nintendo DS and they are impatient to go home for playing Brain Training. And they're all very enthousiast with the Wii (a lot are planning to buy one at least for christmas).
The only bad point (i guess) is that some even don't know that Wii is from Nintendo (they were saying : "i think the Wii is from Sony isn't it ?").
If some want to call that a fad they can... but i think it's just a good product that we have here.
Concerning PS3 i predicted that it won't seel more than 360 (that must be the only thing i had right :D )
PS3 sales are good but 360 numbers and of course Wii and NDS numbers are just insane :eek:

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
AltogetherAndrews said:
All they need to do is hit a reasonable price point. Microsoft may have achieved that now with the recent cuts, but Sony still has some ways to go. After that, these type of doom threads will be history.

You know what?

I honestly don't think so. I'm no fan of Wii and Nintendo's approach, but people are going to be in for it when Wii absolutely DESTROYS this holiday season. I think the writing is on the wall now. If it's pulling in these numbers in July...it's just incredible what they could do in November/December.

Busty

Banned
syllogism said:
Embarrassing 360 and PS3 numbers once again.

They really are. I have a crushing feeling that with the PS2 and Wii still dominating, the 360 and the PS3 may become the generation that time forgot.

MassiveAttack said:
It wasn't just Pachter. Colin Sebastian at Lazard Capital said the same thing.

Just how big a factor are the absense of WallMart etc's sales data in the NPD numbers. I'm not someone that follows the NPD monthly threads so I don't know the 'ins and outs'.

farnham

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Capcom expected to sell 460K copies of RE4 Wii by March 2008.

They sold 100K in Japan and 250K in the U.S. And they sure as hell sold more than 110K in PAL territories. And we have August sales in the west, too. Wow.
They sold out in france
but not in germany

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
michaeld said:
Look at this gm from PS3forums

Man, I completely forgot about PS3forums. For those upset about the gifs, head over to the ps3forums for some good laughs.

loosus

Banned
Hmm. Wii software sales really are not that good. Seems like people are getting it for Wii Sports and little else. Maybe it's the Wii that's the extra, not the game.

Haunted

TLT took one for the team.

TheGreatDave said:
Just have two threads open!

This thread is moving too fast to know if somebody has said, but do we have a new market leader yet?
We do.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AltogetherAndrews said:
You know, this argument doesn't become any less stupid with time. Too late for what? Hell, most of NeoGAF would have argued that it was too late after the January NPDs. A solid game library and a decent price point, and the system will be off, previously declared "dead" or not.

If by that time its in distant 3rd place, will it really get much significant 3rd party support?

Top Bottom