• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

evangd007

DMeisterJ said:
Since that theory first came into play I've been trying to figure out why such a lazy theory would even hold stock... to this day no one has explained to me how this applies to Kinect's success/failure. It's amazing to me how much traction this theory has given the things 'GAF' has been right on...

Opinion has shifted from, "I don't understand it and think it sucks, so it will fail," to "I don't understand it and think it sucks, so it will do well." Both statements have no real foundation in logic and shows that most still don't understand the expanded market any better than they did in 2006.

Looking at the hardware sales. I come away with 4 questions:

People prepping for Kinect, Halo, Black Ops, Gears? Maybe

People don't give a crap about E3 news and buzz (both positive, negative and so-bad-it's-funny)? Probably.

Gaf not an indication of gaming trends and mentality? Definitely.

Can I wager a guess to how this winter will turn out? HELL NO. Just roll the dice or flip a coin for me. Sales-age has given me a headache. Get that Soccer Octopus to guess sales for me. I'm done.

FrankT

Mr. B Natural said:
Looking at the hardware sales. I come away with 4 questions:

People prepping for Kinect, Halo, Black Ops, Gears? Maybe

People don't give a crap about E3 news and buzz (both positive, negative and so-bad-it's-funny)? Probably.

Gaf not an indication of gaming trends and mentality? Definitely.

Can I wager a guess to how this winter will turn out? HELL NO. Just roll the dice or flip a coin for me. Sales-age has given me a headache. Get that Soccer Octopus to guess sales for me. I'm done.

Three for sure as it never has been. Well at least going by the multitude of anecdotal sales threads we've had over the years. If 60% of the sales were Slim as JVM seems to suggest in his monthly article then clearly new HW is pushing the 360 pretty decently with the older discounted units.

If the revamped Arcade Xbox 360 S model proves popular at $200, we wouldn't be surprised by sales nearing 400,000 units in both August and September.

From said article this might be possible as well. Sept I would say is a lock and August maybe up around that as well.

Aika'svyse

Just thinking about the fact that 3 people I know who have 360s didnt have Xbox 1. Maybe MS was already drawing new customers this gen and Kinect will really push that.

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
So it is 8.9 then. Clears up the confusion on that.

The 360 tie ratio likely dropped this month. That tends to happen when there's a big hardware increase without a corresponding software driver (e.g. Christmas, Halo 3).

FrankT

donny2112 said:
The 360 tie ratio likely dropped this month. That tends to happen when there's a big hardware increase without a corresponding software driver (e.g. Christmas, Halo 3).

Well it was last month I believe JVM had reported 9.0 from NPD, but yet MS still reported 8.9 in the PR. Ani stated the MS number was likely correct. That was where the original confusion had come from.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Jtyettis said:
Well it was last month I believe JVM had reported 9.0 from NPD, but yet MS still reported 8.9 in the PR. Ani stated the MS number was likely correct. That was where the original confusion had come from.
Yeah, I really don't know what to say about those kinds of discrepancies. Could all be down to rounding error or how the number is displayed in a spreadsheet or other interface. Frustrating, I know.

Edit: The figure I published came from a typed email from a human being. I was not myself computing the ratio from software/hardware.

Rainier

jvm said:
Yeah, I really don't know what to say about those kinds of discrepancies. Could all be down to rounding error or how the number is displayed in a spreadsheet or other interface. Frustrating, I know.
Uh huh... trying to pull a fast one, eh?
icqvq1.jpg

Matt, when's you gamasutra article up?

Zen said:
There are plenty of examples of PS3 revenue being higher for other companies, saying that it's 'fud' is almost stretching as much as the original post you replied to.

Jtyettis said:
. . . So that is likely the 4 largest 3rd party publishers in the US;

EA
Activision
Ubisoft
Take Two

Hmm, did Zen reply to this. Where did he get his info from?

C4Lukins said:
It is strange how this NPD thread started out so slowly. It took a couple of days for people to start completely losing their minds.

:lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
Rainier said:
Uh huh... trying to pull a fast one, eh?
icqvq1.jpg

Matt, when's you gamasutra article up?
Uh ... I guess you caught me.

Not sure how it knew I've been to Tallahassee. That's pretty awesome that Google realized I lived there for a summer 17 years ago.

carlosp

Banned
jvm said:
Uh ... I guess you caught me.

Not sure how it knew I've been to Tallahassee. That's pretty awesome that Google realized I lived there for a summer 17 years ago.

dude, google knows EVERYTHING!!!!!111!!11

Top Bottom