• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting period: 7/4/10 - 7/31/10

PlayStation 3 214.5K
PSP 84.0K
Xbox 360 443.5K
Wii 253.9K
Nintendo DS 398.4K

NCAA FOOTBALL 11 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-10 368.0K
NCAA FOOTBALL 11 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-10 298.8K
CRACKDOWN 2 360 MICROSOFT Jul-10 208.8K
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WII NINTENDO May-10 193.0K
LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4 NDS WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE Jun-10 141.7K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10
LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4 WII WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE Jun-10
DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS OF THE STARRY SKIES NDS NINTENDO Jul-10
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO Nov-09
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

Anita Frazier said:
Overall

"While video game retail sales show a very slight decline versus last July, we have to consider the success of Starcraft II this month, which helped the PC games category to realize a 103% increase in dollars over last July. PC Games and video game industry sales combined for an increase of 4% in revenues as compared to July'09."

Hardware

"The PS3 and the Xbox 360 platforms both saw significant increases over July'09. In fact, Xbox 360 was the top-selling hardware platform for the month, driven by sales of the new slim format SKU. It's the first time since September '07 (Halo 3 launch) that the 360 was the top-selling hardware platform."

Software

"The top selling video game for the month, combining platforms, was NCAA Football 11 at 692K units. Achieving even better results this month was Starcraft II (PC), which sold 721K units at retail in July."

"LEGO Harry Potter was the second best-selling game for the month with 401K units across all platforms. It bested its intro month sales in June of 355K, although it must be noted it released late in June. In just over a month at retail, it has already sold enough to put it just outside of the top 20 games year-to-date."

Accessories

"The Xbox 360 1600 point card was the best-selling accessory SKU for the fifth consecutive month. The general success of the Points and Subscriptions cards category within Accessories points to the activity that is happening in the industry outside the traditional retail channel."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I completely forgot this was NPD day. What has happened to me. Anywho, really good 360 numbers. Wii numbers are not very good.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn at Xbox. Damn. Very nice numbers for it being July.

Also... Wii is losing lots of steam.

DMeisterJ said:
Forgot NPD was today.

same here...

Man that slim is really doing well. Congratulations to MS on that. Wii and PS3 at near parody is kinda surprising.

By looking at all those numbers you HAVE to think that a large portion of those 360 sales are coming at the behest of the Wii, in the way of large price reductions of old units.

notworksafe

EviLore said:
NCAA FOOTBALL 11 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-10 368.0K
NCAA FOOTBALL 11 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-10 298.8K
CRACKDOWN 2 360 MICROSOFT Jul-10 208.8K
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WII NINTENDO May-10 193.0K
LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4 NDS WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE Jun-10 141.7K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10
LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4 WII WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE Jun-10
DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS OF THE STARRY SKIES NDS NINTENDO Jul-10
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO Nov-09
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09
"While video game retail sales show a very slight decline versus last July, we have to consider the success of Starcraft II this month, which helped the PC games category to realize a 103% increase in dollars over last July. PC Games and video game industry sales combined for an increase of 4% in revenues as compared to July'09."
bobby-kotick.jpg

fernoca

Nice 360 hardware numbers.
Aldo Crackdown 2 made it too.
Modern Warfare 2 got a bump in sales, so did Lego Harry Potter.

Frillen

Nintendo needs to do something with the Wii. I do think November and December sales will compensate a lot though.

Bizzyb

Banned
360 Spike is most likely in response to the new "Slim" form. I'm betting many of those sales are from current 360 owners who are just upgrading. Still though, I know Nintendo can't be too happy with those Wii Numbers. I think this holiday season will be the most telling of Wii's "situation". Once [If] those hardware numbers slip it's software sales will eventually dry up to next to nothing, wit the exception on big 1st party titles

[Nintex]

Still strange that Nintendo is replacing this:
Nintendo DS 398.4K

Instead of this:
Wii 253.9K

Wii2 or a refresh of the current system has to show up soon, Donkey Kong, Kirby and Metroid aren't going to make it explode like Mario did and neither will Zelda or Pikmin next year.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Crackdown 2 at only slightly more than 200k. I guess it's not too bad considering how cheap that game must have been to produce and how little marketing it got. Not the greatest game ever, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Only real bad thing about it was the god awful framerate during the biggest freak battles.

Top Bottom