• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

AeqsmBo.png

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/277926758915915776

vx7YqUS.png

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/277996261142061056

RdTgb11.gif

franco-so-good.gif

Yes, but if they're losing money on the Wii U and not making much on the 3Ds hardware, they have to make it up on software to a very high degree.

Assuming the one game to profit thing was somewhat accurate, wouldn't most of their software money not have to make up for it because the yen has weakened tremendously so with a pricecut they shouldn't lose much more than at launch right?

But yes the hh market has been decimated

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seriously that TLOU number is crazy. New IP, end of the generation, PS3 exclusive, released in June and top of the charts. Must be great for Naughty Dog, its my personal favorite game of the generation.

Frillen

Thought I'd check out June 2007....

Playstation 3 -- 98.5k
Xbox 360 -- 198.4k
Wii -- 381.8k
DS -- 561.9k
PSP -- 290.1k

So, 852k for handhelds back then, 225 + Vita (15k?) now.

Man.

You're trying way to hard to drag the 3DS down into the mud along with the Vita. Just deal with it that the 3DS sells while the Vita doesn't.

Thought I'd check out June 2007....

Playstation 3 -- 98.5k
Xbox 360 -- 198.4k
Wii -- 381.8k
DS -- 561.9k
PSP -- 290.1k

So, 852k for handhelds back then, 225 + Vita (15k?) now.

Man.

Well, the economy is also a big factor, too. The U.S. doesn't have ~4.5% unemployment now as it did in June 2007

Market has definitely shrunk, though, but I think the economy can play a very large role in sales numbers (especially because video games are luxury goods)

During the month of June, Xbox 360 held seven of the top 10 console game titles including: “Minecraft,” “NBA 2K13,” “Injustice: Gods Among Us,” “Deadpool,” “Call of Duty: Black Ops II,” “Grand Theft Auto IV” and “Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.” (Source: NPD Group, June 2013)

Wait, what?

Assuming the one game to profit thing was somewhat accurate, wouldn't most of their software money not have to make up for it because the yen has weakened tremendously

Depends on whether they hedged like Sony and fixed their forwards supply contracts in USD.

StevieP

Banned
The dedicated handheld gaming market has shrunk.

The overall handheld gaming market has grown significantly. It's just had a noticeable effect on the dedicated market.

IMO, the dedicated gaming market in general has shrunk and will continue to shrink until something entices the mass market again.

Lexxism

Retail + Digital Nintendo Sales:
-Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 505K
-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 115K (LTD: 750K)
-Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 108K

That's weird. LM2 shouldn't be #10 in the chart if it sold more than DKCR?

Dipswitch

I really don't give a shit about Minecraft personally, but it nonetheless warms the cockles of my heart to see it do so well.

Wasn't until I saw that Gameinformer video last month judging public awareness of the next gen consoles that I realized kids were even into it, let alone in a big way.

You're trying way to hard to drag the 3DS down into the mud along with the Vita. Just deal with it that the 3DS sells while the Vita don't.

That has nothing to do with it man. He already said 3ds sales were good this month, but the market has contracted a lot

DiscoJer

iOS/tablets/etc have absolutely destroyed this market. This is pretty much the highest non-holiday number we'll see for handhelds nowadays.

I dunno, I think it was Western publishers that destroyed the market by shifting software support from them first to phones and then later tablets.

Not necessarily the demands of the market themselves. I mean, I certainly use my tablet more than my Vita, but I would vastly prefer to play the games that I do on my tablet on my Vita.. But they just aren't there, or if they are, they cost a hell of a lot more.

zeopower6

You're trying way to hard to drag the 3DS down into the mud along with the Vita. Just deal with it that the 3DS sells while the Vita don't.

It helps that the 3DS has crack in the form of Animal Crossing to get sales going, and then there's no telling what the heck will happen when Pokemon comes out. The Vita really needs a killer title soon. :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Assuming the one game to profit thing was somewhat accurate, wouldn't most of their software money not have to make up for it because the yen has weakened tremendously so with a pricecut they shouldn't lose much more than at launch right?

No I mean in the context of making the price cut to the Wii U.

If they avoid that, they might be able to pull it off on the 3DS while treating the Wii U as a zero sum system, though it is still an aggressive bar.

lol Gies wrong about something again, good lord this must be a record. Anyway I'm very happy for naughty dog, the last of us was just amazing.

RoKKeR

Seriously that TLOU number is crazy. New IP, end of the generation, PS3 exclusive, released in June and top of the charts. Must be great for Naughty Dog, its my personal favorite game of the generation.

Yep, so great to hear. They must be thrilled, as they should be. Just goes to show that taking risks and really believing your vision for a project pays off when you execute well.

Thanks for my favorite game of all time, ND. And congrats on the sales.

I think the chart combines the wii version and the 3DS version of DKCR, so that just means the Wii version of DKCR sold more than 7k units in June.

Edit: Or, digital sales could be a factor as others have pointed out.

I don't see it like that.

Just stating one grim reality of the dedicated handheld market today. These numbers are good for the 3DS and we are celebrating them. But they are still lacking from a historical perspective, and at this point we should all know why.

The dedicated handheld gaming market has moved over to a different handheld gaming market.

IMO, the dedicated gaming market in general has shrunk and will continue to shrink until something entices the mass market again.
Definitely possible.

We will see what the future holds though. I'm open to anything on the home console end because of just how volatile it's been with it's newest entry.

ascii42

Not if LM2 sold more digitally than DKCR.

This is actually one of the few times I can look at the best selling games of the month and be reasonably proud. Not every title is a gem, but there are some great games in that list. Good job America.

SmokyDave

You're trying way to hard to drag the 3DS down into the mud along with the Vita. Just deal with it that the 3DS sells while the Vita doesn't.
If I was going to take a swing at the 3DS, I wouldn't be doing it this month. It's had a really good couple of months in the US and the UK.

I dig portable gaming, so that's what I focus on. If NPD included iOS and Android, I'd take the day off every month just to pore through it.

jwhit28

The chart doesn't count digital sales

I dunno, I think it was Western publishers that destroyed the market by shifting software support from them first to phones and then later tablets.

Not necessarily the demands of the market themselves. I mean, I certainly use my tablet more than my Vita, but I would vastly prefer to play the games that I do on my tablet on my Vita.. But they just aren't there, or if they are, they cost a hell of a lot more.

Wrong, the west has never supported handhelds. Most people these days are happy with phones/tablets. However 3ds selling 70-90 million in the end is great

Top Bottom