• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Donos

I would think the heavy hitters would be more like GT, Uncharted, MGSV, FFXV, KH3 and Destiny. Bloodborne will still be big.

Also I bet you LBP3 will surprise people with its sales.

Although the PS4 version will probably sell most, MGSV and Destiny will be available on other platforms. Would not underestimate Drivclub. FFXV and KH3 are still not real for me. Almost Vapoware ;)

They should have called it Grand Turismo: Driveclub. It has no name recognition and Playstation do not seem to be pushing it nearly as much as even 3rd party games like Destiny. It is being sent out to die.

Sent out to die ? People seem to rush for every new release on PS4/XB1 now that the game library is still rather slim for both new consoles.

prag16

Banned
How much did you think PS4 is selling weekly WW?

7k Japan
53k US

RotW? I'm pretty sure 70k is minimum..

Now add TLOU boost and you have the 150k weakly avg. in WW July... can be more.

Not sure what we're arguing now. I said it's not a "lock" as it was characterized by Psycho Mantis (which is what compelled me to post). It sounds like you don't think it's a "lock" either.

the wii u probably won't overtake the dreamcast until sometime next year. the dreamcast stopped selling in the us at about 4.1m units. if the wii u has another million or so in it for the calendar year (which is fairly realistic), then holiday 2015 is when the wii u should cross that mark.

It's just really crazy how hard the WiiU has fallen, to the point it's most likely going to break yet another (bad) record for Nintendo.
I mean, everyone knows this, but every time we get new charts or new numbers, it's still limping along. It's just weird.

Halo 4 sold 3.8 million copies...its first week. I understand the install base is much, much smaller, but this title will hit over 1 million the first month. You don't seem to understand how much nostalgia some gamers have for the earlier halo games.

This has never mattered for HD remakes. Nostalgia is high, yes, but only for a fraction of the people who played the original games. Most everyone else is only hungry for new content. The Halo 5 beta is the biggest selling point of the collection. Probably less so if the date of the beta isn't announced shortly before launch.

Halo 5's launch will be anywhere from 3-6x bigger than the launch of the MC collection.

So did the Wii U beat Xb1 in WW sales for the month of June?

Difficult to speculate. As bad as the One is doing in Europe, it's highly likely the Wii U is still doing worse. It's getting absolutely drubbed in the UK.

They should have called it Grand Turismo: Driveclub. It has no name recognition and Playstation do not seem to be pushing it nearly as much as even 3rd party games like Destiny. It is being sent out to die.

There weren't many great-selling HD racing games last generation in the US. Sony in particular had limited success with both Motorstorm and GT franchises. And we all know what happened to Wipeout and PGR. DriveClub will do much better in Europe.

mcrommert

Banned
This has never mattered for HD remakes. Nostalgia is high, yes, but only for a fraction of the people who played the original games. Most everyone else is only hungry for new content. The Halo 5 beta is the biggest selling point of the collection. Probably less so if the date of the beta isn't announced shortly before launch.

Halo 5's launch will be anywhere from 3-6x bigger than the launch of the MC collection.

I have to disagree...i am more excited to play halo 2 and halo 1 online than i am for halo 5 beta by a long way. And those who grew up with these games (like myself) are far enough removed that they want to reexperience them...but i will admit it gracefully if i am wrong :)

Opiate

I just find the whole thing kind of dishonest. Games you don't like on systems you don't care about do not mean that they aren't a relevant and factual part of the market. Also, losing the chunk of the Wii market that was more into games not aimed at 16-35 year old males is in no way good for gaming as a whole. Especially console gaming. And even further more, when a console sold 40 million units, I dunno how reasonable it is to sit there bold faced and say all those sales were from an unrelated market with no proof. That's just crazy.

You don't have to convince me, I'm just explaining how that frame of reference might arise. I can understand why a lot of people work from a short term, personal perspective, and not a long term, broad perspective. It doesn't mean I agree.

So did the Wii U beat Xb1 in WW sales for the month of June?
Quite likely. Japan alone puts it around 15k from XBO NPD numbers. With the Mario Kart release and the XBO still not being available in parts of Europe Wii U PAL sales should make up that difference.

The Uk isn't the whole of Europe though, I'd be interested in seeing some France numbers.

Yes, but the margin that the UK offers in favor of the Xbox One is far larger than the margin in any other country.

(and the Wii U winning in France isn't really a surprise, remember how Xbox/Gamecube turned out over there)

What kind of numbers do you all think we'll see in July? Weren't Sniper Elite III and TLoU the only retail launches?

Will TLoU Remastered shift a lot of units?

You don't have to convince me, I'm just explaining how that frame of reference might arise. I can understand why a lot of people work from a short term, personal perspective, and not a long term, broad perspective. It doesn't mean I agree.

Haha, I guess that came out more as accusatory more than just wondering. I know that you agree :p

Lexxism

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Do we have any numbers for launch-aligned between WiiU and XB1 worldwide? I'm curious how XB1 is doing compare to WiiU during this time. Thank you.

edit: And if possible 360 as well.

So uhhh.... what's going to happen to them? The editor get fired? Fined? Does Newegg get fined? The website entirely shuts down? And while we're on it, I'm at least satisfied that we got the most interesting month leaked as the last one leaked. After a price drop is a good month to get a leak.

Nothing at all... they just won't post NPD articles anymore.

The good part is that all GAF hints + maths reached a pretty reliable numbers... it was really close to the real NPD (few ks off).

Well first off, there is no longer going to be any more NPD articles from Gamecrate that don't use existing information. No need to wait for their articles every month because they are DONE with NPD leaks.

I don't think they're going to get off with just a slap on the wrist. In the past NPD has actually leveraged fines and even withheld future data reports as damages.

Now, if the data breach was from a small fry, I could see more severe punishments. But seeing as Newegg is a retailer that NPD receives sales data from, I imagine they'll probably just be hit with some kind of fine that Newegg will have to absorb.

You know, as a remedy for the breach of contract.

I don't know if Newegg will end up firing that editor. It depends on how much he contributes to the site. I assume that he's responsible for a good majority of articles on Gamecrate and it's a legitimate accident so Newegg might just absorb the fine and let it slide.

It sounds like Gamecrate was leaking numbers for a few months but was only discovered this month? And once the numbers made the rounds got promptly shut down?

What a shame...especially since all they leaked were numbers we got publicly just a few years ago.

Well, it's one of those countless, non-descript gaming sites. They tend to get very little traffic if they don't have a reputation.

The March, April, May, and June NPD had like 0 retweets and presumably very few views. But when you expose things on GAF...you know it's a nexus of attention.

jonabbey

So, PS4 beat XBox One and 360 put together, eh?

ZFcZL7X.jpg

DryvBy

The game will be partially free. It comes out later. Destiny is their focus right now. A third-party that is going to help sell PS4s.

I'm assuming this is a typo? Is Dark Souls that popular?

Actually that was in fact a typo and has been corrected. DSII has actually sold noticeably less than stick of truth on both platforms

http://www.gamecrate.com/playstation-4-continued-outsell-xbox-one-march/

http://www.gamecrate.com/playstation-4-outsells-xbox-one-april/

http://www.gamecrate.com/ps4-continues-dominate-watch-dogs-tops-may/

http://www.gamecrate.com/playstation-4-dominates-june-sales-npd-reports/

Yep. All dead.

See? What did I tell you guys? NPD Ninjas work very, very fast to shut down that kind of liberal data disclosure once it gets spread throughout the Internet.

It's because Gamecrate really stepped over the line in terms of breaching Newegg's contract with NPD. It was great for us...not so great for Newegg and that ignorant Gamecrate editor who has to feel NPD's wrath.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. :)

RIP Gamecrate 2014-2014

What's interesting though is Gamecrate has been doing that since March and tweeted every new article. The internet at large only seemed to notice this month.

RoKKeR

Really? Have you seen how good it looks?

It's the first exclusive racer on the PS4, and arguably the first 'next-gen' racer so far, so I can see it going down a storm in Europe.

Let's not forget Playstation is the brand that has lots of Gran Turismo fans in this part of the world.

Let's also not forget that it's free*, and a large majority of people will probably download it, play the free content and move on to one of the other dozens of games coming out in October.

It looks great and will probably be pretty fun, but it won't be a heavy hitter.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Do we have any numbers for launch-aligned between WiiU and XB1 worldwide? I'm curious how XB1 is doing compare to WiiU during this time. Thank you.

edit: And if possible 360 as well.

Xbox 360, Worldwide Shipments as of December 31st, 2005:
1.57 million hardware (constrained by severe supply issues)

Wii U, Worldwide Shipments as of December 31st, 2012:
3.06 million hardware, 11.69 million software

Xbox One, Worldwide Shipments as of December 31st, 2013:
3.9 million hardware

Xbox 360, Worldwide Shipments as of March 31st, 2006:
3.2 million hardware (constrained by severe supply issues)

Wii U, Worldwide Shipments as of March 31st, 2013 (end of 1st fiscal year):
3.45 million hardware, 13.42 million software

Xbox One, Worldwide Shipments as of March 31st, 2014:
5.1 million hardware

Xbox 360, Worldwide Shipments as of June 30th, 2006:
5.0 million hardware

Wii U, Worldwide Shipments as of June 30th, 2013:
3.61 million hardware, 14.44 million software

(We'll get the equivalent Xbox One figure in a couple of days)

Xbox 360, Worldwide Shipments as of September 30th, 2006:
5.9 million hardware

Wii U, Worldwide Shipments as of September 30th, 2013:
3.91 million hardware, 19.71 million software

Xbox 360, Worldwide Shipments as of December 31st, 2006:
7.6 million hardware

Wii U, Worldwide Shipments as of December 31st, 2013:
5.86 million hardware, 29.37 million software

Xbox 360, Worldwide Shipments as of March 31st, 2007:
8.3 million hardware

Wii U, Worldwide Shipments as of March 31st, 2014 (end of 2nd fiscal year):
6.17 million hardware, 32.28 million software

TalonJH

Actually that was in fact a typo and has been corrected. DSII has actually sold noticeably less than stick of truth on both platforms

What's interesting though is Gamecrate has been doing that since March and tweeted every new article. The internet at large only seemed to notice this month.

...We have a mole.

But yeah, small site finally got recognition. Couldn't fly under the radar any more.

Most random, non-descript gaming sites say pretty much the same thing for NPD sales.

So given that it's an unknown site, most people would just expect they would say the same thing as everyone else. I suspect that very few people actually visited their NPD articles before someone discovered it this month.

Foshy

Let's also not forget that it's free*, and a large majority of people will probably download it, play the free content and move on to one of the other dozens of games coming out in October.

It looks great and will probably be pretty fun, but it won't be a heavy hitter.

I think it will do great, maybe even driving hardware sales, but the sales of retail SKU won't be particularly amazing. They don't have to be for the game to be considered a success though.

jcm

Well first off, there is no longer going to be any more NPD articles from Gamecrate that don't use existing information. No need to wait for their articles every month because they are DONE with NPD leaks.

I don't think they're going to get off with just a slap on the wrist. In the past NPD has actually leveraged fines and even withheld future data reports as damages.

Now, if the data breach was from a small fry, I could see more severe punishments. But seeing as Newegg is a retailer that NPD receives sales data from, I imagine they'll probably just be hit with some kind of fine that Newegg will have to absorb.

You know, as a remedy for the breach of contract.

I don't know if Newegg will end up firing that editor. It depends on how much he contributes to the site. I assume that he's responsible for a good majority of articles on Gamecrate and it's a legitimate accident so Newegg might just absorb the fine and let it slide.

NPD can't fine retailers. They aren't a law enforcement agency.

Most random, non-descript gaming sites say pretty much the same thing for NPD sales.

So given that it's an unknown site, most people would just expect they would say the same thing as everyone else. I suspect that very few people actually visited their NPD articles before someone discovered it this month.

I guess I just find it interesting that at any given time there could be some website out there posting legitimate NPD results and the internet can be none the wiser

synce

Seeing the actual numbers, MS isn't doing too bad at all. When you factor in the rest of the world though it's probably ugly for them

Halo 4 sold 3.8 million copies...its first week. I understand the install base is much, much smaller, but this title will hit over 1 million the first month. You don't seem to understand how much nostalgia some gamers have for the earlier halo games.

A full, mainline Halo is not comparable to a collection of old titles.

Was expecting MS to be a nose ahead but I guess it didnt happen.

Well I think any hopes of a comeback for them are over.

At this point they need a brand relaunch with a XB1 Slim.

I was thinking the same, especially for summer.
Probably missed it, but any particular reason? Retailer bundles, pricedrops, promotions, restocks??
Over a quarter of a million, its summer!

Watch Dogs console bundles probably. That game had main stream hype.

Watch Dogs console bundles probably. That game had main stream hype.

Pretty sure there was no official Watch Dogs bundle here in the US. Likely some retailers might've bundled the game with the console a little bit but that wouldn't be too large an effect as it'd be the same price for both

jcm

Well no, not directly, but they have the right to get legal and equitable remedies for the breach of the confidentiality clause in their contract...and they make that clear.

Sure, they could sue them. That's incredibly unlikely though. Why go to that trouble and expense when they can just ask Newegg to take it down and not post it again?

Pretty sure there was no official Watch Dogs bundle here in the US. Likely some retailers might've bundled the game with the console a little bit but that wouldn't be too large an effect as it'd be the same price for both

Oh. Interesting. Well I am sure Watch Dogs played a part.

Also maybe the Destiny Alpha helped in a small way. That thing spread positive word of mouth everywhere.

Removing the Wii, or separating it when looking at the current market environment, is a special case.

A lot of particular types of games sold well on the Wii. Nintendo games, obviously. Guitar Hero & Rock Bad. Party/Mini-games. Fitness. But Core games like the Shooters, Sport, RPG and Action games never did catch on in a super meaningful way.

This is different from both the NGC and the Wii U, really. If you remove those genres that have exited the market for the most part (that were huge on the Wii) it makes comparing the rest more apples to apples.

On the core platforms, consumer spend is better than ever. But dev budgets are higher than ever.

Taking the Wii out isn't something one would do just to "make the rest look better". You're trying to do the best job of making meaningful comparisons.

Sure, they could sue them. That's incredibly unlikely though. Why go to that trouble and expense when they can just ask Newegg to take it down and not post it again?

Maybe a small settlement to underscore that this breach is damaging?

I don't know, maybe I'm reaching. All I know is that NPD has gone the extra mile in the past when there has been breaches. They don't always just let things slide.

Petrae

Considering recent outright sharing of NPD data from Ian Sherr and others in past months, I could see NPD making an example of this case and pursuing a financial penalty.

It's freely reprinting without permission of proprietary data that is otherwise a paid service. We're not just talking about number-sharing; we're taking blatant pictures of the same report and data that provides NPD with its revenue in this arena.

Not that NPD *will* pursue monetary damages, but there is definitely an argument for doing so given the situation.

Sami+

I don't think Microsoft will be going anywhere if they continue to fight Sony over the 18-35 y/o male market. As more and more months go by with Sony in first place, it's looking less hopeful that they'll be able to sweep the rug out from under the PS4 and gain a lead with that audience. Rather, they should probably try to work harder to differentiate the XB1 from the PS4 in as many ways as possible. Perhaps if they can find a slightly different audience looking for a different kind of product than what the PS4 offers, they'll find some success - it's clear that Kinect was supposed to do this, but then Kinect 2.0's failure to catch on necessitates something else now.

If they can find a market similar to how the Wii grabbed new people last generation, we might not see the contraction we're worried about. As of right now I think their biggest problem is an identity issue - all they've really been without the Kinect or TV focus is "PS4 but weaker".

Oh. Interesting. Well I am sure Watch Dogs played a part.

Also maybe the Destiny Alpha helped in a small way. That thing spread positive word of mouth everywhere.

I'm sure Watch Dogs had a postiive effect on PS4 HW sales for June even without having a bundle. Not convinced the Destiny Alpha would have that grand an effect personally though

Can someone please post or link to the numbers that GameCrate released for previous months?

I'm not sure that's a good idea..

Revas

The X1 looks fine, people aren't choosing PS4 based on aesthetics as they're both pretty funky. MicroSoft just needs to focus on games and release a revised console in two years, capitalizing on the momentum that the games will provide. They probably won't "win" this generation but they can still sell a boatload of games and systems.

Top Bottom