• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

I have to say I'm very happy to:

A) have real numbers
- c'mon it's no fun w/o all the data
B) that the WIi U is healthy
- I've been playing the hell out of it lately and I hope this is not an MK8 blip/spike, but a trend

Lefein

Banned
I am happy for Sony, and love my Ps4, but this is getting out of hand. Why is it so successful? Anyone care to speculate?

Gen 7 went WAY too long and people wanted to upgrade to systems that actually push their nice HDTVs. WiiU is a great system, but its entire first year was under the looming shadow of the question mark regarding the XBox and Playstation.

The reveals happened. People got to choose a side and are buying accordingly. It also helps that pretty much all three stayed below $600 this time around, so there was little resistance to Gen 8 adoption as a whole.

PS4 is the heir apparent. The system is damn good. The messaging is right. The services are mature. Developer support is rolling in at a decent clip (compared to PS3 by a long shot). Biggest thing going for PS4 is that core gamers like us endorse it. People mostly take the advice of their "gamer friend" when choosing which way to go and that word of mouth has clearly filtered to the non-hardcore audience at this point. It's a snowball effect.

Phades

You also have to take into account inflation and this is their first June in regards to both so roughly the same age. The Xbox 360 was also beating it at that point.

Between 2006 and now, there was a major recession that caused some deflation. Stuff does not cost twice what it did 8 years ago.

All those comparisons show really is that the microsoft to sony is split more evenly this time around. More units sold now than then with 376k units combined sold vs 466 combined units sold and the PS2 era being more healthy in general.

Any 3rd party abandoning MS with a 2:1 sales ratio in Sony's favor would still be leaving significant revenue on the table.

This is not true for titles that get released in US but aren't big hitters. All of those will basically become exclusive soon. It has already started with Guilty Gear Xrd. Now you have the issue that the PS4 unarguably more powerful and Xbox One is the harder one to program for. Once those titles that do decent in the US, but aren't worth the effort for an Xbox port hit. Things will get ugly.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Imru’ al-Qays;121642000 said:
The console market isn't actually collapsing and the PS4 is selling in line with previous first-place consoles because there's no reason it shouldn't.

During the last three months, it didn't. Case in point: this month

First June for major home console

PS2 - 343,000
Xbox - 265,000 (month after the price drop, from $299 to $199)
Gamecube - 213,000 (month of the price drop, from $199 to $149)

Xbox 360 - 277,000
PS3 - 99,000
Wii - 382,000

PS4 - 269,000
Xbox One - 197,000
Wii U - 42,000

How long PS2 shortages lasted? Was difficult to find even during June 2001? Was the same for 360 in June 2006?

Amazed that tomodachi life beat XB1 Watchdogs. Always good to see weird as fuck low budget games outselling cookie cutter blockbusters.

DC1

Microsoft's shareholders would probably far rather sell off the Xbox division than eat the loss another $100 price cut would result in, to be perfectly blunt.

This is another very good and very true statement that should be forcibly swallowed by folks who persist to think that the XBOX One was built as a core gaming device for the gaming populist.

It's call looking at things Straight.

The X1 looks fine, people aren't choosing PS4 based on aesthetics as they're both pretty funky. MicroSoft just needs to focus on games and release a revised console in two years, capitalizing on the momentum that the games will provide. They probably won't "win" this generation but they can still sell a boatload of games and systems.

It really doesn't. It's one of the worst console designs I have ever seen.

DC1

I don't think Microsoft will be going anywhere if they continue to fight Sony over the 18-35 y/o male market. As more and more months go by with Sony in first place, it's looking less hopeful that they'll be able to sweep the rug out from under the PS4 and gain a lead with that audience. Rather, they should probably try to work harder to differentiate the XB1 from the PS4 in as many ways as possible. Perhaps if they can find a slightly different audience looking for a different kind of product than what the PS4 offers, they'll find some success - it's clear that Kinect was supposed to do this, but then Kinect 2.0's failure to catch on necessitates something else now.

If they can find a market similar to how the Wii grabbed new people last generation, we might not see the contraction we're worried about. As of right now I think their biggest problem is an identity issue - all they've really been without the Kinect or TV focus is "PS4 but weaker".

You are asking Microsoft to identify the Littles. Even if they exist their purchasing power is dwindling.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has communicated that their mysterious gaming core will be also interesting in the various Microsoft service products.

With this in mind, I'm confident that Amazon/google is right around the corner.

joecanada

Nothing at all... they just won't post NPD articles anymore.

The good part is that all GAF hints + maths reached a pretty reliable numbers... it was really close to the real NPD (few ks off).

yeah you got me convinced... everyone's math and charts here are pretty damn good. thanks all.

Hmm so does anybody else think we won't get any MS NPD info until maybe October or November NPD?

Sad really, now pretty much no one will be giving out NPD numbers

joecanada

Maybe a small settlement to underscore that this breach is damaging?

I don't know, maybe I'm reaching. All I know is that NPD has gone the extra mile in the past when there has been breaches. They don't always just let things slide.

yes if they are that sticky about it, probably a settlement of some kind would be the likely remedy... going to court would be pointless unless gamecrate is worth a bunch of money, otherwise they'd just fold up shop.

Death2494

The X1 looks fine, people aren't choosing PS4 based on aesthetics as they're both pretty funky. MicroSoft just needs to focus on games and release a revised console in two years, capitalizing on the momentum that the games will provide. They probably won't "win" this generation but they can still sell a boatload of games and systems.

That's just it. The market isn't responding even though some consider Xbox One's lineup superior to PS4's. You also make it sound as if Sony system doesn't have any games to look forward this coming fall. Driveclub will move units. Maybe not in America but definitely in Europe. All signs show that multiplatform titles are superior on PS4, some more than others.

The packaging isn't what's holding the Xbox One back. Right now Microsoft is still feeling the effects of the reveal. Couple that with problems of ESram, slightly weaker hardware, and small first party portfolio. I'm sorry a 399.99 Xbox One w/o Kinect just isn't a better or similar in value compared to that of a PS4 at the moment. They need to bring the price down to 349.99.

Road

Code:
USA ONLY HARDWARE SALES

Q2
	2014		2013
PS4	670		
XBO	390		
3DS	360	-20%	450
WIU	250	+127%	110
360	190	-50%	380
PS3	110	-62%	290
PSV	80	+33%	60
WII	50	-62%	130
NDS	10	-92%	130

Q2		Q1
PS4	670	-26%	910
XBO	390	-45%	710
3DS	360	-12%	410
WIU	250	+25%	200
360	190	-30%	270
PS3	110	-50%	220
PSV	80	+60%	50
WII	50	-38%	80

Code:
USA + JAPAN HARDWARE SALES

Q1+Q2
	2014		2013
PS4	2190		
3DS	1850	-38%	2970
XBO	1100		
PSV	770	+10%	700
WIU	740	+19%	620
PS3	640	-55%	1430
360	470	-62%	1240
WII	130	-72%	470

Q2			
	2014		2013
PS4	790		
3DS	750	-31%	1080
XBO	390		
WIU	360	+71%	210
PSV	320	+19%	270
PS3	220	-52%	460
360	190	-51%	390
WII	50	-67%	150

Q2		Q1
PS4	790	-44%	1400
3DS	750	-32%	1100
XBO	390	-45%	710
WIU	360	-5%	380
PSV	320	-29%	450
PS3	220	-48%	420
360	190	-32%	280
WII	50	-38%	80

Q1 = Jan, Feb, Mar
Q2 = Apr, May, Jun
USA = NPD
Japan = Famitsu
All numbers are thousands of units
Numbers rounded to nearest 10k

We're probably gonna see at least 600k Wii U shipped this past quarter worldwide, which is an improvement over the 160k Nintendo sold-in last year.

Xbox One shipments in 2014 Q2 are probably gonna be under 1 million. It might even be lower than Wii U.

We don't get PS4 shipments, so fuck Sony.

Now that they've dropped the Kinect and multimedia focus this is the best thing they can do if they are serious about regaining the gamers crowd.
The 80's betamax VCR look of the Bone is already dated, in my opinion.

Well certainly, they should be able to cut a good couple of inches off the size of the box.

vcc

That's just it. The market isn't responding even though some consider Xbox One's lineup superior to PS4's. You also make it sound as if Sony system doesn't have any games to look forward this coming fall. Driveclub will move units. Maybe not in America but definitely in Europe. All signs show that multiplatform titles are superior on PS4, some more than others.

The packaging isn't what's holding the Xbox One back. Right now Microsoft is still feeling the effects of the reveal. Couple that with problems of ESram, slightly weaker hardware, and small first party portfolio. I'm sorry a 399.99 Xbox One w/o Kinect just isn't a better or similar in value compared to that of a PS4 at the moment. They need to bring the price down to 349.99.

Also, for the most popular console and the one with the best performance; third party games sell systems. People want to play multiplayer games on the platforms their friends are on and single player games on the best performing platform (PC will compete with the PS4 on this end). The PS4 currently represents both angles as the 360 did last gen.

Amir0x

Banned
Man it sure is nice to see hard numbers like that, even for a fleeting moment. I hope this finally kills the "the price was the only reason people were purchasing PS4 over the competition" line though.

This generation is going to have a slow start, there isn't much incentive to not make cross gen. Yay being stuck on old engines...

I really hope you are wrong.

Cross gen is such a f*cking bane for the industry at this point. We waited 8 years for this current gen and a lot of it is still being shackled by the absurd limitations of PS360.

I am happy for Sony, and love my Ps4, but this is getting out of hand. Why is it so successful? Anyone care to speculate?

8870_527773373914553_1668404948_n.jpeg

Cross gen is such a f*cking bane for the industry at this point. We waited 8 years for this current gen and a lot of it is still being shackled by the absurd limitations of PS360.

Pretty much. Its dumb to pick a side at this point, the lagging of any next gen console at this point only suffocates all of gaming.

damisa

Again, should we just ignore the 2 million it sold WW in a couple of weeks?

How much to "count" launch/holiday sales when looking at trends is an interesting question. You would normally think it's best to just compare LTDs, but consider the XB1:

Even now it's sales are much much better than the 360 and even higher than the mighty PS2. Yet no one thinks it will get even close to PS2 sales and most people think it won't get close to 360 sales earlier. Why? Because sales dropped dramatically post launch. If launch was as supply constrained as the 360 but then supply was flooded in January, would it have still sold the same by June? Would everyone who couldn't buy it in Nov/Dec buy it in Jan-June? Would it still be ahead of the PS2 or 360? How many people are Christmas or bust? You can ask the same questions with PS4. I don't know the answers.

I really do think this holiday season should give us a good indication of the demand for 8th gen systems quite frankly. Sure most titles are cross-gen unfortunately but with how packed with games the season appears I'm not sure that will matter too much. Buy a next gen system and get to play a dozen big games in a much prettier form.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This generation is going to have a slow start, there isn't much incentive to not make cross gen. Yay being stuck on old engines...
Almost every title out this Fall from third parties is crossgen, but unless I'm forgetting something the opposite can be said of 2015.

jelly

I think cross gen for big hitters will be dead next year. Can't think of anything new past this year coming to last gen.

Still some sales to be had. In truth the only games that truly suffer are open world games, most still just about manage good enough. People are still having fun with last gen consoles.

Next year is when the bar goes beyond the reach of last gen. Doesn't really bother me, devs need time and money. They get both and we just wait a little bit longer for the goods that are hopefully new and exciting.

I think cross gen for big hitters will be dead next year. Can't think of anything new past this year coming to last gen.

Still some sales to be had. In truth the only games that truly suffer are open world games, most still just about manage good enough. People are still having fun with last gen consoles.

Next year is when the bar goes beyond the reach of last gen. Doesn't really bother me, devs need time and money. They get both and we just wait a little bit longer for the goods.

The problem is that it's not developers making decisions to go cross-gen, it's publishers.

Is there any dev out there that would want to continue working on old-gen code if he had the chance to go fully PS4/Bone/PC instead?

I can't think there are many. They've been waiting just as long as us guys for their creativity to be unshackled.

It's probably more galling for them than it is for gamers in fact, especially console devs.

Cels

so these gamecrate numbers are real but weren't supposed to be released? meaning we probably won't see them for july npd?

border

I haven't really minded cross-gen stuff. Most of the titles that are exclusive to PS4/X1 aren't really looking that mindblowing anyhow. Assassin's Creed has big crowds, Batman has some nice rain and lighting. It mostly feels like someone just turned up some detail sliders.

I haven't really minded cross-gen stuff. Most of the titles that are exclusive to PS4/X1 aren't really looking that mindblowing anyhow. Assassin's Creed has big crowds, Batman has some nice rain and lighting. It mostly feels like someone just turned up some detail sliders.

Well I just hope that this culture of 'more of the same' is not a result of ambition shrinking amongst the major developers of the world because they have become used to making the same types of games for the past 5-6 years. And they know these types of games keep selling.

I really think it is that bad. Especially in the FPS genre. COD: Ghosts could have been made 10 years ago aside from the higher resolution textures. At least BF3 has a bit of destructability in the environments, but it's still more of the same.

I'm not trying to blow its trumpet here but to use an example: DriveClub at least looks like a step beyond any racer I'd have played before. You might say that it too is just an improvement in textures but coupled with huge backdrops, uber-realistic weather (or at least rain) and the social, connected aspects, I think it is something very much of this new gen and not something that seems a small iteration of stuff we've seen a lot of in the past.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Cross-gen is selling ok at best. Publishers will start jumping ship like Ubisoft with Assasin's Creed Unity soon enough.

mo60

I fear this generation is going to see a huge to medium decline in hardware sales. Reaching out to those Wii owners who bought the Wii because of Wii Sports/Fit etc is going to be a challenge. The Bone and the PS4 thus far is mostly reaching out to the hardcore, while the Wii U is only reaching out to Nintendo fans. I remember back in the PS2 days and one of the reasons as to why the PS2 ended up selling the most in Europe was because of Singstar and Buzz.

Could VR be new thing that will catch the none hardcores? Because right now, the people who bought PS2s for Buzz and Singstar and Wiis for Sports and Fit are more than happy with their iPhone and iPad games. I don't see them buying home consoles again unless there's something huge that will attract them.

VR will be a massive barrier for the non hardcores I don't think the non hardcores would want to spend at least $200 on the Morpheus and another $300-$400 on the PS4.

mo60

If the PS4 does so well in a month like this I assume it's sales are going to explode in September with the Destiny bundle. The window of opportunity MS will have to sell more than the PS4 will be of about 2 months and they are unlikely to pull it off.

The way is paved for PS4 domination, 2015 is going to be huge for it with Bloodborne, The Order 1886, MGSV, FF XV, Uncharted 4 and more.

Bloodborne won't be that big of an IP and I highly doubt it will sell that many PS4's. The order1886 is a big question mark because I really don't know if it will have any impact on the PS4 itself. It may have little to no effect on the PS4 if it is not that good of a game.

mo60

There are quite a few consoles were if you take off japanese sales they are still over 100 million so....

I'm saying in general. Most consoles(mostly the Wii and PS1) besides the PS2(I'm not counting any of the handhelds) had to sell at least 10+ million in Japan to sell over 100 million.

Minions

Bloodborne won't be that big of an IP and I highly doubt it will sell that many PS4's. The order1886 is a big question mark because I really don't know if it will have any impact on the PS4 itself. It may have little to no effect on the PS4 if it is not that good of a game.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't end up selling quite a few PS4's... at least Titanfall levels on the Xbox One. (Probably substantially more as Titanfall is multiplatform) There are a lot of people that love Dark Souls (Dead Souls) type games.

Top Bottom