• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

I bought, played, enjoyed, and recommended Red Steel 2. My part is done. I think it's a nice effort, but "too little, too late" applies nicely. This game should've hit about 2 years ago.

rpmurphy said:
RS2 came 2-3 years too late. Ubisoft dropped the ball on taking advantage of IP recognition. RS3 should have been the one released with MotionPlus.
Well, they could have called it "Red Steel 3" but I think it wouldn't have sold that good anyway:D

botticus

Skiesofwonder said:
I think Red Steel 2 will have a good word of mouth and hopefully that will help.

Red Steel 2 had as much TV advertising as The Conduit and Madworld, which isn't much. And advertising on Comedy Central and Cartoon Network exclusively is only showing your product to a very small portion of the Wii userbase.

You need ads on TBS, ESPN, ABC, etc.
I'm not going to blame advertising for Red Steel 2's failure, but your point in general is a good one.

JaxJag

Banned
I wonder if a lot of Wii owners are like me, or at least Wii owners that a game like Red Steel 2 is targeted towards.

Back in 2006 when I first bought a Wii I was trying all sorts of games out on it. Red Steel, Twilight Princess, Scarface, and after awhile it hit me.

I hate Wii games that over use motion controls. They usually don't control well, and even if they do these types of games do not lend themselves to long gameplay sessions.

There's a reason games like Mario Galaxy and Punchout are so good, it's because they use motion controls little to none.

So i'm wondering if maybe the reason Red Steel 2 has done so poorly, is because the crowd it's marketed towards has just quit buying these types of games that over use motion controls.

But maybe not, I dunno!

JaxJag said:
So i'm wondering if maybe the reason Red Steel 2 has done so poorly, is because the crowd it's marketed towards has just quit buying these types of games that over use motion controls.

I think it's selling poorly because fans of Nintendo are only used to having one or two good third party titles to choose from per year. We are already double that this year!

Sadist

Mt Heart Attack said:
They are. I enjoyed Red Steel 2, but I mean, it's no Mario Galaxy, I can totally see why people would skip it.
Indeed, the thing is: the Wii doesn't have a lot of traditional mainstream offerings and when one surfaces certain posters will go like "Oh shit son if ya don't buy this, than you are part of the problem yadayada." The 'Wii can't sell anything decent but Nintendo stuff' team did it's job in getting under the skin of certain posters.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
shagg_187 said:
Month of the PS3!

Goes to show that RPG fans own PS3 while FPS fans own 360 since the 360/PS3 sales of BF:BC2 and FFXIII are polar opposites...

once again..many rpgs have sold on the 360..Fable 2, Mass effect 1 and 2, Dragon-age, Elder scrolls:eek:blivion, Lost Oddessy. Final Fantasy 13 did sell well. The only 2 RPGGs that did wellon the PS3 are Demon Soul and Final Fantasy 13. So as I said before PS3 is not the RPG savior. Many factors applied people buying the PS3 version.

I love this thread

SelfWorth.png

bryehn

comedy bomb said:
I know people get laughed at for "loving" a console manufacturer, but I really don't see it as being any different than "loving" a sports team.

Holy shit, shots fired sports fans! :lol

topramen

Any word on how Endless Ocean 2 has done so far? I'm curious to see what kind of numbers that game put up (and EO1 too, obviously enough for a sequel)

Effect

JJConrad said:
The RS2 commercial is stupid. I don't understand how they think trying to be funny will attract anyone to a game like this. It doesn't sell the game itself. Its the type of commercial you run when your only goal is getting people to remember your name. That being said... The ads didn't start running until a few days before its release, so its effect isn't going to be noticeable in the first month sales.

Thank you. Monster Hunter 3's ads are actually showcasing the game. I do worry about the time those ads are being shown though. They've been airing for at least two weeks now and we are still a week to the release. It's not enough to had TV ads but really what good are they when they only start appearing close to midnight? I've had issue with this as far back as the Mad World and Conduit commercials. Red Steel 2 shows people in costume playing the game and you only see the actual game for a few seconds while the actor is trying to be funny. You see significantly more of the live actors then you do of the game.

I'm enjoying Red Steel 2. I didn't doubt it would be a good game. However how it was pushed was always a concern for me. Would it have ads? If it did would those ads actually be shown at a good time (during the day and during prime time hours) and on the right channels (network channels, cartoon channels, etc)? A huge no to the last one it seems.

BuzzJive

I bought Red Steel 1 on day 1 and enjoyed it, but just don't have much interest in a sequel at this point. I was also pretty bummed that they took out multiplayer - when a smaller company like High Voltage has the resources to do online play even (though I didn't buy Condiut either). It's just too little too late in my eyes. If that means less Ubisoft "hardcore" support (less - heh), then so be it.

Sanic

Weren't we supposed to have 11-20 at 12PM PST?

And nevermind :lol

And Just Cause 2 vadernoooooooooooooo.gif

Pooya

Heavy Rain more than 100k?!!!! AMAZING!
two bombs for Square-Enix, Just Cause 2 and Supreme Commander 2. sadly just cause 2 is an awesome game from what I've played, better than XIII for sure.
Metro 2033 bomba!
Yakuza 3 and RoF bombed too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bryehn said:
Holy shit, shots fired sports fans! :lol

I've seen more people get much more riled up about sports than console wars, although both have their fanatics. :p

Bigfoot

comedy bomb said:
I know people get laughed at for "loving" a console manufacturer, but I really don't see it as being any different than "loving" a sports team.
Yes, but sports team lovers still love the sport and would go see other teams play given the chance.

I think of it more as the crazy Coke only or Pepsi only lovers. You know the people that do this in a restaurant:

"Would you like something to drink?"
"I would like a Coke please"
"Sorry, we don't have Coke, is Pepsi okay?
"No, I would rather drink nothing / water"

That is a console fanboy. Where as 95 % of us (the non fanboy / multiconsole owners) would say:

"Sure, a Pepsi is fine."

It is fine to like one console more, but to put all your hope on it and say the other consoles suck is just crazy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not surprised JC2 didn't sell well. I don't think it's that good, but it is the quietly released sequel to a pretty unpopular game.

Swittcher

Banned
Isn't it weird that Yazkua 3 totally bombs in spectacular fashion, but no one is ever gonna mention it to Sega, ever again? "Why did Yakuza 3 do so poorly?"

But in 3 months, Sega's still going to be giving interviews about how badly mismatched Madworld was for the Wii audience.

DR2K

Banned
Sony is just ignoring the PSP like the red headed step child of the family. Drop the god damn price to $129.99.

Wtf is that 11-20? What the fuck is that?

Resonance of Faith, Just cause, SMT:SJ and god knows what else is missing. Not surprised at the legs Just Dance is showing, considering that type of game on the Wii being well marketed, but stuff like Heavy rain beating the games i listed above in it's second month is very surprising.

Hope we get numbers for those games soon.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Loudninja said:
Can the GOW collection reach a million?
I think it's a possibility. Sony's really hit the ball out of the park with God of War in general.

As a user, I'd like to think this really increases the likelihood we'll see other up-ports, but I hate to get too hopeful.

JaxJag

Banned
Swittcher said:
Isn't it weird that Yazkua 3 totally bombs in spectacular fashion, but no one is ever gonna mention it to Sega, ever again? "Why did Yakuza 3 do so poorly?"

But in 3 months, Sega's still going to be giving interviews about how badly mismatched Madworld was for the Wii audience.
Because one title was made for a western audience while the other wasn't?

Porthos said:
Yes, but sports team lovers still love the sport and would go see other teams play given the chance.

I don't know that is universally true. I'm a Packer/Lions fan, and I love to watch football, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay to watch anyone else play.

It's like NASCAR, you may watch the whole race, but that doesn't mean you have to like or support every driver on the track.

Swittcher said:

Jesus, let it go already.

Loudninja

jvm said:
I think it's a possibility. Sony's really hit the ball out of the park with God of War in general.

As a user, I'd like to think this really increases the likelihood we'll see other up-ports, but I hate to get too hopeful.

Yeah I really do think we will see more collections now,I doubt it cost them much to make them.

jvm said:

Ico/SoTC compilation has a lot of backers here. Though i doubt it'll be anywhere near as succesful as the GoW collection.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony's freaking retarded for not collecting more games. They can contract the work out. Even if it's more difficult to do for non-GoW games, it'd be worth it. What, was GoW Collection done in 2 months? If it took 12 months to collect the ICO games, it'd be worth it. They'd sell well and they would be advertising for TLG.

It would probably sell more than Modnation Racers too.

Cornbread78

Shogun PaiN said:
What PSN community?

Really..... why bother trying? That is weaker than a female poodles legs after being mounted and ravaged by a bull mastiff.

It's also the same one I play BFBC2, MW, MW2, KZ2, RFoM, R2, W@W, LBP, and White Knight Chronicles with online. 100 buddies that rotate frequently. Yeah, it's the same community that has kept me entertained for two years now, the one that I've gotten for FREE to play my games, it's the community that works for me.....

Y2Kev said:
I'm not surprised JC2 didn't sell well. I don't think it's that good, but it is the quietly released sequel to a pretty unpopular game.

Haven't gotten JC2 from gamefly, but impressions have been generally positive. It was a very competitive month, but i expected at least 1 version in the top 20.

watership

Hmm. I just noticed that there are technically 4 sony exclusives in the top 20 last month, if you include the GOW collection. Why did Sony release all these so close together and so close to FFXIII? I'm sure Heavy Rain would have done much better with more advertising if it was earlier in the year. It's been a crazy good 2 months for PS3, but It still feels that they didn't stage these releases right.

Top Bottom