• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

LegoDad

Ricker said:
Isn`t Wal-Mart not included in those numbers? a lot of people probably bought it from them because it had a launch sale for 3 days I think,at 39 bucks....just saying,i`m really surprised this game is not in the top 20...The Calling I can understand but JC2?....

Walmart is included in NPD....

sillymonkey321 said:
I don't think the majority of Wii's audience is interested in anything past Nintendo titles and fun looking casual games. I also believe a lot of the core audience on Wii owns another system and Wii's core titles have to compete with titles on the other platforms. I passed on Red Steel 2 and bought God of War 3 and FFXIII. Next month i am getting Monster Hunter 3 though.
If you're buy MH3 next month, I doubt it will help all that much with its release NPDs

Man said:
Ico and SOTC collection. The number of GOW collections sold. The ICO series director wanting a collection to release. One of the top desires on PS.Blog.Share. It is going to happen. :D

Gotta be announced at E3. Shall be a beautiful thing.

markatisu

sillymonkey321 said:
Next month i am getting Monster Hunter 3 though.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised buy MH3 on the Wii, at least as far as I know all the bundles are gone/sold out at Gamestop and Amazon.

I am not expecting earth shattering Xbox 360 3rd Party or Nintendo 1st Party numbers but I think it should be the best received MH game ever in the US.

Swittcher said:
Isn't it weird that Yazkua 3 totally bombs in spectacular fashion, but no one is ever gonna mention it to Sega, ever again? "Why did Yakuza 3 do so poorly?"

But in 3 months, Sega's still going to be giving interviews about how badly mismatched Madworld was for the Wii audience.

i was gonna answer you with a serious post, but then i noticed you got banned.

oh, well...

Zen

Banned
Shadow780 said:
Surprising number for GoW3, I never thought it could best FFXIII on the same console.

inb4irrelevant

For context

First Month
God of War II 833k
Final Fantasy XII 896K

Although FFXIII would have done better on the PS3 if it was the only platform selling it, obviously. I'm not sure if it would have beaten 1.1 Million though, but I wouldn't bet against it either.

Final Fantasy XIII combined 1,322,100

It looks like FFXIII will outsell XII worldwide? The increase in US sales more than accounts for the minor decrease in Japan.

Zen said:
For context

First Month
God of War II 833k
Final Fantasy XII 896K

Although FFXIII would have done better on the PS3 if it was the only platform selling it, obviously. I'm not sure if it would have beaten 1.1 Million though, but I wouldn't bet against it either.

Final Fantasy XIII combined 1,322,100

It looks like FFXIII will outsell XII worldwide? The increase in US sales more than accounts for the minor decrease in Japan.

Erm not exactly, FF XII had longer legs than FF XIII at least in the UK where FF XIII dropped out after the first week.

Owzers

markatisu said:
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised buy MH3 on the Wii, at least as far as I know all the bundles are gone/sold out at Gamestop and Amazon.

I am not expecting earth shattering Xbox 360 3rd Party or Nintendo 1st Party numbers but I think it should be the best received MH game ever in the US.

I thought Red Steel 2 would SURELY sell 100k+ and i was wrong. I'm done trying to guess the fate of Wii games for the most part.

Zen

Banned
mugurumakensei said:
Erm not exactly, FF XII had longer legs than FF XIII at least in the UK where FF XIII dropped out after the first week.

We'll see, but so far it's most likely ahead. Not that it matters a huge amount but if the UK is or isn't tracking combined SKUs that would make a difference to. Do we have opening numbers for FFXIII in the UK?

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if it opened ahead of FFXII in the UK either.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
mugurumakensei said:
TvC had goodish second month sales too.

TvC, MadWorld, and Conduit all had better opening months than RS2.

what did RS2 open with?
Musta missed it, is there an open comparison between all these launch months?

God of War Collection is doing unreal.

650k for a 6 weeks port job. :lol

Not only has Sony earned a decent amount of money, they also immensely helped God of War 3 sales. Simply a great business decision.

John Harker said:
what did RS2 open with?

Pachter estimated it as 50k.

EDIT: D'oh, forgot that Ubisoft contacted Kotaku to confirm those numbers.

boiled goose

good with gravy
amtentori said:
:lol at people expecting >100k for Red Steel 2. No one fucking cared the game came out.

There you go.

It is truly amazing how wii third party games sell.

50k for RS2 is truly amazing. This amount shows no one fucking cared. Not core Wii owners (the ones that will buy MG2 and MtoM in the next few months. Not multiconsole owners. Not the people who bought MW:reflex (probably close to 1M ww at this point)

Conduit did better than this in its first month.
Madworld did better than this in its first month.
Games like Muramasa probably got close (i think it did 35k or something)
NMH2 did about the same.
TvC beat it.

It is just so random. Can it really be simply a userbase problem when something even more niche like TcV outsell it? It is just crazy. RS2 isnt even M rated.

RiccochetJ said:
Since when? It never was before.

if it is not then they estimate it

Lagspike_exe said:
God of War Collection is doing unreal.

650k for a 6 weeks port job. :lol

Not only has Sony earned a decent amount of money, they also immensely helped God of War 3 sales. Simply a great business decision.

Yup and a great fuck up by SCEE.

RiccochetJ said:
Since when? It never was before.

It's always been estimated and thus included in the numbers provided through NPD.
But every NPD we have people saying, "Walmart isn't included, that means X could have sold a lot better!"

amtentori said:
There you go.

It is truly amazing how wii third party games sell.

50k for RS2 is truly amazing. This amount shows no one fucking cared. Not core Wii owners (the ones that will buy MG2 and MtoM in the next few months. Not multiconsole owners. Not the people who bought MW:reflex (probably close to 1M ww at this point)

Conduit did better than this in its first month.
Madworld did better than this in its first month.
Games like Muramasa probably got close (i think it did 35k or something)
NMH2 did about the same.
TvC beat it.

It is just so random. Can it really be simply a userbase problem when something even more niche like TcV outsell it? It is just crazy. RS2 isnt even M rated.

if it is not then they estimate it

I think people are really underestimating how bad the original Red Steel was, and how much it benefited ONLY because it was a launch title.

Launch titles sell really well because people are just looking for something... ANYTHING... for the platform.

Also, it's not like Red Steel is a premier franchise or anything. You could compare it to Just Cause 2 or something. It's really not a big deal.

jvm said:
I think it's a possibility. Sony's really hit the ball out of the park with God of War in general.

As a user, I'd like to think this really increases the likelihood we'll see other up-ports, but I hate to get too hopeful.

GOW Collection has been on NPD Top 20 in November (#17), January (#20), February (#18), March (#18). Very nice, definitely over 500k, should be able to reach a million. I don't know how many other upports I would buy, PSOne games would have to be remade, so something like RE1-3 upport is out. My wishlist would be ICO/SOTC, MGS 2-3, GTA III-VC-SA, Jak 1-3, Sly 1-3, Ratchet 1-3, FFX/X-2/XII/DQVIII, I'd actually be happy if I get 1 collection from the wishlist I just mentioned.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
John Harker said:
what did RS2 open with?

RS2: 50,000 (12 days)
TvC: 50,000 or 60,000 (5 days)
The Conduit: 75,000?

That's all I have.

boiled goose

good with gravy
timetokill said:
I think people are really underestimating how bad the original Red Steel was, and how much it benefited ONLY because it was a launch title.

Launch titles sell really well because people are just looking for something... ANYTHING... for the platform.

Also, it's not like Red Steel is a premier franchise or anything. You could compare it to Just Cause 2 or something. It's really not a big deal.

True, it is not like Red Steel is a big franchise or anything, but RS2 was pretty decently received. I think the random bombs and successes on wii shows how relatively uninformed the audience is about new releases and how much they rely on word of mouth for their purchases.

One thing MS has done extremely well with X360 is creating a very informed and game hungry userbase where hyped games (even new IPs) can succeed.
Live, demos, friend lists,etc all help create this informed and game hungry userbase. Gamers are always aware of the next big thing coming out, and can generally try it out before they go buy it.

(all features that are lacking on the Wii)

This at least, is my general theory for some of the sales trends on Wii vrs say 360.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AranhaHunter said:
GOW Collection has been on NPD Top 20 in November (#17), January (#20), February (#18), March (#18). Very nice, definitely over 500k, should be able to reach a million. I don't know how many other upports I would buy, PSOne games would have to be remade, so something like RE1-3 upport is out. My wishlist would be ICO/SOTC, MGS 2-3, GTA III-VC-SA, Jak 1-3, Sly 1-3, Ratchet 1-3, FFX/X-2/XII/DQVIII, I'd actually be happy if I get 1 collection from the wishlist I just mentioned.

Even though I own a lot of those on PS2, I'd definitely double dip if they got the same treatment as GoW Collection. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that.

It's also that the third-party situation for Wii is so bad that average games, say your Red Steel 2, Conduit, anything that has a "core" target -- gets hyped up to high heaven because they're pretty rare on the platform.

These games get elevated to comparisons against the top games on 360/PS3... the Bioshocks, the God of Wars, the Final Fantasies, the Uncharteds and so on -- despite these games having much smaller teams, budgets, and even aspirations. It's unrealistic, but people have a hard time understanding that it's seriously just a major gap on the platform. There are pretty much NO high-profile "AAA" (meaning: blockbuster) releases on the Wii.

Monster Hunter Tri almost counts, and certainly comes closest, but of course it isn't exactly big in the US. It's done very well for itself in Japan though, which makes sense.

mbnmac

Neo Member
The problem with red steel 2 is that it's not at all related to the first game besides the name, but a LOT of people bought into the hype of the first game and felt burned, so aren't going to even give this a try without being told to by someone else.

If they'd called it something else, they may have seen a rise, but who knows.

If there's any justice, it'll have legs as word of mouth spreads, it really is a fun and interesting game that I'll be replaying at least once.

AranhaHunter said:

let's make it balls to the awesome while we're at it!

capcom HD collection: dmc3:se, onimusha whatever, maximo, okami, viewtiful joe

kona... erm, kojipro HD collection: mgs2, mgs3, zoe2 + bonus mgs1 integral copy

ubisoft HD collection: prince of persia, *can't think anything else* edit: oh, bg&e

koei HD collection: dinasty warriors 1 dumped 15 times on the bd-rom

Owzers

timetokill said:
It's also that the third-party situation for Wii is so bad that average games, say your Red Steel 2, Conduit, anything that has a "core" target -- gets hyped up to high heaven because they're pretty rare on the platform.

These games get elevated to comparisons against the top games on 360/PS3... the Bioshocks, the God of Wars, the Final Fantasies, the Uncharteds and so on -- despite these games having much smaller teams, budgets, and even aspirations. It's unrealistic, but people have a hard time understanding that it's seriously just a major gap on the platform. There are pretty much NO high-profile "AAA" (meaning: blockbuster) releases on the Wii.

Monster Hunter Tri almost counts, and certainly comes closest, but of course it isn't exactly big in the US. It's done very well for itself in Japan though, which makes sense.

I'm starting ( starting? ) to think that the "core Wii audience" is really just the same audience the Gamecube had. The same audience who'd buy Nintendo titles on Gamecube and the random niche exclusive while the bulk of their gaming was on xbox/ps2/pc. That's just a sillymonkey observation on my gaming habits and from Wiis sales trends. Wii's large userbase is only benefited by broad reaching casual games and have given a boost to Nintendo first party mega-hits.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Swittcher said:
Isn't it weird that Yazkua 3 totally bombs in spectacular fashion, but no one is ever gonna mention it to Sega, ever again? "Why did Yakuza 3 do so poorly?"

It's because people know the reasons why already:

1.) no advertising
2.) shitty cover
3.) released on the same day as FFXIII
4.) approximately 15-20% of content cut

If ever a publisher didn't deserve its own franchise, Sega is it.

Mrbob said:
The GoW Collection has helped bolster GoW3 sales. I saw this from the gamasutra article:

A million sold will be a lock for the title. More collections have to be coming, especially after this one is at 650K and counting. GoW Collection has been a massive success. Even if other collections sell a fraction of GoW it would have to be easy money.

Do you think these PS3 remakes will be mostly Sony IPs? I would really like to get my hands on a MGS collection with widescreen, upscaled 720p, and 60 fps.

sillymonkey321 said:
Or weren't looking to begin with.
The expanded audience never knew to differentiate between publishers before, and the older audience was certainly looking at the start of the generation. I know I was, and I know other people who were. Games sell for the Wii in sufficient quantity that you can't say that they don't sell at all.

How many crap games does one have to buy before they learn to steer clear? It took me Raving Rabbids and Red Steel to mostly ignore Ubisoft on the Wii, and until the last year or so those were two of their biggest efforts.

On the other end of the scale, how many good games does it take for someone to start paying attention and keep coming back? I'd say it takes one. If you picked up Mario Galaxy or NSMBWii on word of mouth, would you keep paying attention to games with Mario in the title?

Owzers

Wii's userbase is a mythological beast, the unicorn of the digital world. Do not try to look at it, do not try to understand it, but you must believe.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
GoW Collection doing so well makes me happy.
C'mon Team ICO collection! C'mon!

Also nice to see Heavy Rain still trucking.

I don't care for JC2 but was surprised to not see it.

C'mon NPD Leaks, pretty curious about a lot of the more niche titles from last month.

Vagabundo

Real shame about RS2, but kind of expected. I'm sure it will do a couple of hundred k over the next while. Wii games tend to be slow burners.

I think the Wii "core" 3rd party market - whatever that means - is done for this gen. It was left to wither and die by 3rd parties. Ah well back to playing through NSMBWii.

I suppose there will be the odd A game every so often.

mbnmac

Neo Member
Vagabundo said:
Real shame about RS2, but kind of expected. I'm sure it will do a couple of hundred k over the next while. Wii games tend to be slow burners.

I think the Wii "core" 3rd party market - whatever that means - is done for this gen. It was left to wither and die by 3rd parties. Ah well back to playing through NSMBWii.

I suppose there will be the odd A game every so often.
You know, I STILL don't have NSMBWii, because it's NZ$30 more than most games here still.

I'll have to get some games brought from home next time my folks visit

GeoramA

Kagari said:
Even though I own a lot of those on PS2, I'd definitely double dip if they got the same treatment as GoW Collection. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that.
Being in HD w/ trophy support is worth the double dip.

GoW Collection looks so damn good, especially part 2.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Red Steel 2 is hamstrung by the reputation of Red Steel 1, simple as that. Ubi should have renamed the game and called it a "spiritual" successor, because that's what it is anyway.

I saw the same thing when Bayonetta came out. Contrary to popular belief, not everybody who turned their nose up at the game did so because it starred a leather chick. I've seen dozens of people say the game was another shitty Sega rip-off just because Sega's name is on the case. (Good going Sega - your reputation is utterly ruined with a generation of gamers.)

KevinCow

Banned
I can't say I'm surprised in the least, but it's a shame that Red Steel 2 did so horribly. They finally give us the awesome sword game that everyone's been begging for since the Wii was announced... and it flops.

Hopefully it does decently in the long run through word of mouth.

Does it make me old-fashioned that I don't consider strong sales for a no-added-features HD upport of old software, released for a console that had its backwards-compatibility unceremoniously stripped out, to be a good thing?

Mrbob

marathonfool said:
Do you think these PS3 remakes will be mostly Sony IPs? I would really like to get my hands on a MGS collection with widescreen, upscaled 720p, and 60 fps.

There was a rumor posted about 3rd parties tracking the sales of GoW Collection to see how it did. You would have to think it is all systems go now. But Sony might be resistant to just letting anything be remade for the platform.

A remade Metal Gear Collection would be awesome.

Does it make me old-fashioned that I don't consider strong sales for a no-added-features HD upport of old software, released for a console that had its backwards-compatibility unceremoniously stripped out, to be a good thing?

Not completely true. The GoW Collection games are now both 60FPS locked, no slowdown. Some textures were upgraded too. It isn't a complete remake, but it is fine for what it is at 30 dollars. I see the irony in the situation in some ways, but I have a 60GB PS3 and would rather play the GoW Collection than GoW1 and 2 on PS2 (which I also own).

charlequin said:

Someone get this man more koolaid, he hasn't had enough.

Y-Z

I'm really impressed with the GOW collection, really hope this makes sony think about new collections!

WillyFive

sillymonkey321 said:
Wii's userbase is a mythological beast, the unicorn of the digital world. Do not try to look at it, do not try to understand it, but you must believe.

No, it's more like a paradise with a transparent wall.

Every time they look past the wall, they see the best selling games of all time continue to sell and never leave. They want to be on the other side of that wall.

The door to cross that wall blends in with the transparent wall, so publishers just keep bumping against the wall.

Once in a few times, with some actual effort by feeling the ridges of the wall can they find the door and open it, but most just keep either complaining the wall is there or taking advice from people who think they know where the door is, just to splat against the wall at high speed.

ZoddGutts

jvm said:
Two things I didn't see mentioned here. Sorry if I missed them.
  • DSi XL sold 141K in its launch month, according to Michael Pachter.
  • Top 20 is up! Story here.
    npd-top-20-mar-2010.png

GOTCHA! :D

Huh? That's odd people in last month NPD thread told that games stop selling after it's first week of release. Good to see Heavy Rain still selling. :D

This puts it slightly above 319k in total. Not bad for a game that wasn't advertised on TV in the U.S. for some reason. Nice sales for The Show as well.

Boney

Banned
Willy105 said:
No, it's more like a paradise with a transparent wall.

Every time they look past the wall, they see the best selling games of all time continue to sell and never leave. They want to be on the other side of that wall.

The door to cross that wall blends in with the transparent wall, so publishers just keep bumping against the wall.

Once in a few times, with some actual effort by feeling the ridges of the wall can they find the door and open it, but most just keep either complaining the wall is there or taking advice from people who think they know where the door is, just to splat against the wall at high speed.
Pachtradamus?

wizword

Banned
Red Steel 2 was and is going to sell like trash. It is a 3rd party game that requires an extra piece of hardware. It is 10 $ more expensive than every other wii game if you don't have wii sports resorts. It is a mature 3rd party title where games that are mature/cell shaded/ 3rd party usually don't sell well. In all honesty, how many people expected it to sell >100k first month. It would be difficult/impossible I would imagine for the game to get >200k in america. Monster Hunter 3 is the next absurd game that people are hoping to see on npd thread just for the realization like red steel 2 and mad world will sell poorly. But I expect monster hunter 3 sales to be poor for other reasons as well.

evangd007

wizword said:
Red Steel 2 was and is going to sell like trash. It is a 3rd party game that requires an extra piece of hardware. It is 10 $ more expensive than every other wii game if you don't have wii sports resorts. It is a mature 3rd party title where games that are mature/cell shaded/ 3rd party usually don't sell well. In all honesty, how many people expected it to sell >100k first month. It would be difficult/impossible I would imagine for the game to get >200k in america. Monster Hunter 3 is the next absurd game that people are hoping to see on npd thread just for the realization like red steel 2 and mad world will sell poorly. But I expect monster hunter 3 sales to be poor for other reasons as well.

I'll start cooking the crow.

Massa

charlequin said:

Yes it's a very good thing, these are separate issues.

With movies I want my BD player to support DVD's but I still want movies to be remastered in hi-def and released in BD. With games I think the difference is even greater, PS2 games in SD are unplayable on an HDTV.

Top Bottom