• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Talon- said:
Holy hell, the DSi XL by itself outsold the PSP?

I can't even believe that something as ridiculous as the DSi XL even sold well, much less outsell its competitor outright.
It's not really a competitor. The PSP sells solely on a 24 year old's ability to admire Grand Theft Auto.

AFreak

Banned
marathonfool said:
Do you think these PS3 remakes will be mostly Sony IPs? I would really like to get my hands on a MGS collection with widescreen, upscaled 720p, and 60 fps.

And MGS4s control scheme.

Skilletor

Talon- said:
Holy hell, the DSi XL by itself outsold the PSP?

I can't even believe that something as ridiculous as the DSi XL even sold well, much less outsell its competitor outright.

What's ridiculous about the DSi XL? I'm loving mine.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
velvet_nitemare said:
Um, as has been pointed out several times, the game had marketing. Not Assasins Creed level marketing, but mid-tier stuff. Certainly not "next to no marketing"
The game's problem wasn't so much marketing (not that it was great), but the enthusiasm for the game. Ubisoft, themselves, didn't seem to have much for it.

The initial unveiling for the game went really well, but they did nothing after that. The E3 demo was not very well received, but instead of trying to maintain any hype, Ubisoft went silent. This allowed the first game's reputation to direct expectations. The game was delayed and after that Ubisoft began to publicly downplay the game (cutting their sales forecast and marketing plans). It wasn't until a few weeks before its release that the good hands-on previews started build up hype. By then its too late to make a big launch. The commercials they ran started late and aren't exactly the kind of ad that would make someone run out and buy the game. The game didn't have a big first month because Ubisoft did nothing to nurture such an event.

The commercial itself seems to defy their previous statements (or at least how the gaming press reported their statements) about the game's marketing. It makes me wonder how much of Just Dance's success plays a part in the change.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Maybe it's just late and I'm not seeing straight. Can someone help me with this quote (from the OP):
Lower prices exacerbates decline in dollar sales for console hardware, so while unit sales down only 5 percent, dollar sales were down 12 percent due to declining average retail prices (ARP).
That sentence seems to point to unit sales of consoles being down 5% in March 2010 relative to March 2009. But I'm seeing an increase no matter how I slice it.

All systems: Up from 1.992 million to 2.149 million (+8%)
Consoles (PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii): Up from 1.261 million to 1.328 million (+5%)
Modern consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii): Up from 1.149 million to 1.210 million (+5%)

Did Frazier simply swap "down 5%" for "up 5%"?

jrricky

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
i want a dsi xl but i can't bring myself to spend the money on one with the 3ds coming out next year.
After seeing it in person, me too...but I just cant justify it (have to see 3DS first)...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Elios83 said:
According to LTD sales in the US (updated to this month):

PlayStation2 45.477.065
Nintendo DS 39.829.254
Game Boy Advance 36.093.054
Wii 28.539.878
N64 20.063.000
Xbox 360 19.724.132
PSP 17.191.820
Xbox 14.500.480
PlayStation3 12.076.004
Gamecube 11.769.728

360 and PS3 have already surpassed N64 WW, PS3 has already surpassed the GC in the US and with only 2.5m units to go it will surpass the original Xbox in the US by the end of this year. But your point is absolutely valid, the market is huge and now even the third place consoles (PS3 in this case) can do great numbers.

So basically the DS will surpass the PS2's LTD by next year?

That would be amazing.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:

That would be amazing.

It's possible. 9 months left in the year, the PS2 could still do another 1-1.5m quite easily. The DS would have to hit 3.5m over the next 7 months and then 5m in the last two months to definitely secure the lead.

Zzoram

So Red Steel 2's mega bombing means that Ubisoft is going to join everyone else in not bothering with big budget M-rated games on Wii right?

Zzoram

AniHawk said:
It's possible. 9 months left in the year, the PS2 could still do another 1-1.5m quite easily. The DS would have to hit 3.5m over the next 7 months and then 5m in the last two months to definitely secure the lead.

Considering that it's still doing 700K/month, that won't be hard.

hatchx

Banned
Zzoram said:
So Red Steel 2's mega bombing means that Ubisoft is going to join everyone else in not bothering with big budget M-rated games on Wii right?

Wii is such an odd system. It's like gamers have completely given up hope in it.

AniHawk

DR2K said:
I'm surprised it hasn't already.

Well the PS2 is going on its 10th year, while the DS is going on its 6th, and the DS had a horrendous start (4.5-5m or so in the States as of the DS Lite launch).

The turnaround success of the DS is one of the strangest things I've ever seen happen in the industry. Seriously, the system was practically dead around June of 05.

GOW Collection showing that price does matter to folks.

cmon MS, Halo Collection! Halo 1 & 2 ports with online play!

and ICO/SOTC Collection Sony! you know you want to!

hatchx

Banned
AniHawk said:
Well the PS2 is going on its 10th year, while the DS is going on its 6th, and the DS had a horrendous start (4.5-5m or so in the States as of the DS Lite launch).

The turnaround success of the DS is one of the strangest things I've ever seen happen in the industry. Seriously, the system was practically dead around June of 05.

It all started with Nintendogs, then Brain Age, Mario Kart DS, NSMB........

When the DS took off, it took off for the skies.

Zen

Banned
iamaustrian said:
yakuza 3 was one very expensive game, so even with 100k+ sold I would consider it a huge flop.
same goes to RS2 and heavy rain too, btw.
how much did Heavy Rain cost to make? I can't see anything under 1m sold a "it's doing great". it may be niche but it was also one of the most hyped games ever and something like the second coming of the PS3
Insteaqd of laughing at you I'm going to point out why this post is misinformed.

1. Yakuza 3 was indeed a game witha decent budget, but not so big that Sega hasn't been able to justify making frequent sequels in the franchise off of the back of the Japanese sales only (500k teritory with the main releases). It's entirely unlikely that Yakuza 3 didn't already make its money back and turn a profit when it came out in Japan. Meaning that there's very little pressure for Yakuza 3 to sell well in America, seeing as the only thing they have to cover is the localizing costs for the text, and distribution. Yakuza 3 could sell a small amount and still make a small amount of money. There are virtually no costs for it to recoup at this point.

2. Well you're in luck because it broke 1 million sold not too long ago and is projected to hit 1.5 Million before the end of the year. Keep in mind, even if it cost the same as say, God of War III (44 million) They would only need 1 million sold at, say, 20-30 dollars profit per unit sold to pretty much break even. There's no way that Heavy Rain cost as much as God of War III, and the game is beating the sales expectations set for it.

Ashes

hatchx said:
It all started with Nintendogs, then Brain Age, Mario Kart DS, NSMB........

When the DS took off, it took off for the skies.

didn't marketing change as well...? not to mention target audiences changing... and there was this one article where the person attributed it to the ipod generation. don't know much about that though...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm actually more interested to see whether the PSP will beat the PS2's YTD this year. In a very morbid academic way of interested.

Slavik81

Willy105 said:
Last night, I was excited that Fragile was finally going to be localized.

I had absolutely no idea it has already been out.

What in the world are publishers doing? Is this a joke?
Wait, Fragile's out?

...was there even a thread on GAF about it?

Neo C.

Regulus Tera said:

That would be amazing.
I love it. Years ago, a stupid arrogant prick tried to convince me that the DS would never pass the GBA sales in the USA. Wish I could serve him some delicious crows now.:lol

Yoboman

Regulus Tera said:

That would be amazing.
Depends on 3DS's release date, and whether it's backwards compatible though doesn't it?

Baki

jvm said:
Maybe it's just late and I'm not seeing straight. Can someone help me with this quote (from the OP):

That sentence seems to point to unit sales of consoles being down 5% in March 2010 relative to March 2009. But I'm seeing an increase no matter how I slice it.

All systems: Up from 1.992 million to 2.149 million (+8%)
Consoles (PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii): Up from 1.261 million to 1.328 million (+5%)
Modern consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii): Up from 1.149 million to 1.210 million (+5%)

Did Frazier simply swap "down 5%" for "up 5%"?

The consoles have had price cuts. So it is a decline in revenue.

voady said:
It would mean the downfall of an Empire!!!! ^^

No, but seriously are those only NPD Numbers? As far as I know the PlayStation 2 has sold over 140,000,000 (million) units worldwide (according to Play3: http://www.play3.de/2010/03/04/playstation-2-wird-zehn-jahre/6/)

I always wonder how this is possible. Whenever we get numbers from a region the DS is either already ahead of the PS2 or really close to overtaking it.

PS2 must have sold in a lot of regions where the DS didn't or something.

Yoboman said:
Depends on 3DS's release date, and whether it's backwards compatible though doesn't it?

No. Even if the 3DS is announced this year, it most likely wouldn't be released until mid next year in the US. Not to mention the DS won't start selling 0 copies the day the 3DS is released.

AniHawk

Yoboman said:

Nintendo didn't start winding down the GBA until 2006. And even then, the machine sold several million. Part of this may have been due to them being unsure whether or not the DS would be a success though.

We should know whenever the financial statements come out how many systems they plan to sell over the next year.

The thing that is interesting is that there is pretty much no question as to whether or not the DS would outsell the PS2. It's more of a question of whether Nintendo will allow it to, or if it's going to cut off its legs before it has a chance. Even then it still may end up doing it.

Top Bottom