• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
John Harker said:
thanks for the RS2 numbers.

I wanna start this short post by saying that yes, it's impossible to resonate and satisfy everyone, but in my opinion, Ubisoft did so much right with Red Steel 2 that it's a shame it did so poorly, and this is why Wii owners don't deserve nice things.
To be fair, the first game in the series was not exactly fantastic. Also the game required motion plus, which until now has been used pretty much exclusively for sports games and sports minigames. Still disappointing, though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Htown said:
To be fair, the first game in the series was not exactly fantastic. Also the game required motion plus, which until now has been used pretty much exclusively for sports games and sports minigames. Still disappointing, though.

yea but one SKU comes with M+, which is a pretty big win for the game... I didn't expect gangbusters, but both SKUs combined I would have hopped would do better than 50k. The M+ bundle is really a steal.

The two games are very similar, just a joke. I want SM to succeed as much as I want HR to, that's all.

CadetMahoney said:
I don't think HR is doing terribly well by any standard tbh.

It's done very well for what it is. Over 300,000 sales in the US is pretty good for a fairly niche product, especially since a lot of people seemed to think it wouldn't even do close to that.

It's not a blockbuster, but I think everyone involved has to be very happy with its performance.

Zen

Banned
JJConrad said:
PS360 games have never been known for having great legs... especially when compared to their PS2 counterparts. I highly doubt FFXIII will ever cross 2 million, in which case, it won't surpass FFXII either.

It's not like FFXII wasn't front heavy either. The cross platform nature of the title will probably offset shorter legs if that's the case. It's already 500K ahead of FFXII in America, and unless I'm mistaken, FFXII didn't cross 2 million in America.

We've seen legs for bigger next gen properties, MGS4 for instance may have dropped off the face of the earth, relatively speaking, in its second month but it had consistent sales after the fact.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
truly101 said:
April is pretty empty outside of Splinter Cell.
Kind of funny how they are jamming in so many solid releases in May. Got Skate 3, Lost Planet 2, Alan Wake, Red Dead, Mario Galaxy, and Blur. I can see all but Skate 3 getting some pricey billing.

You think, they would maybe want to knock one back a month, or released one in April when there were less big titles. Worst for them all is...It's movie season. Prince of Persia, Sherk, And Iron Man properties won't be helping them eating up the licensed shit

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
John Harker said:
The two games are very similar, just a joke. I want SM to succeed as much as I want HR to, that's all.

I thought you really had updated SM numbers. :/

Haunted

Red Steel 2 is a great game. I also heard good things about Yakuza 3 (and enjoyed the demo of it), sad to see both of em bomb. :/

Well Yakuza 3 was destined to bomb.

And I didn't even know Red Steel 2 came out. Yikes. Maybe I'm not on GAF as much as I thought I was.

EmCeeGramr said:
clearly wii owners were just saving their money so that monster hunter tri and trauma team can top the charts in april and may
:(
Well I did for Monster Hunter Tri at least. I was interested in RS2 until it was announced a cel-shaded western something or another, oh well.

Andrex said:
So... should I even ask for Fragile numbers? :lol

If not the JP LTD would do.
Drats, did that already come out. Well, along with Silent Hill, someday I guess.

Vizion28

Banned
Red Steel 2 was only on the shelves for 12 days for month the NPD covered so 50k is not really a flop. Wii games are known to have legs so it would be wise to wait several months before jumping to any conclusions.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ubisoft was better off making it a new IP istead of Red Steel 2.
It's not like there's any continuity with its prequel either...

Vizion28 said:
Red Steel 2 was only on the shelves for 12 days for month the NPD covered so 50k is not really a flop. Wii games are known to have legs so it would be wise to wait several months before jumping to any conclusions.

Certain Wii games have legs, not all. What kind of legs did games like Conduit, Mad world, Muramasa, LKS have?

thuway

Vizion28 said:

The best I can see this game do is 500k in the US.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but are people saying Yakuza 3 bombed just because it wasn't in the Top 20? Because let's say it still sold 50k, that's twice as much as Y2, at double the retail price. I just think a lot of people weren't being practical when they expected it to sell 100k+.

velvet_nitemare said:
Certain Wii games have legs, not all. What kind of legs did games like Conduit, Mad world, Muramasa, LKS have?

In his defense games like No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4, and (from what's been said about it) Tatsunoko vs Capcom have/ing had some nice legs.

CartridgeBlower said:
I haven't read through the entire thread, but are people saying Yakuza 3 bombed just because it wasn't in the Top 20? Because let's say it still sold 50k, that's twice as much as Y2, at double the retail price. I just think a lot of people weren't being practical when they expected it to sell 100k+.

yakuza 3 was one very expensive game, so even with 100k+ sold I would consider it a huge flop.
same goes to RS2 and heavy rain too, btw.
how much did Heavy Rain cost to make? I can't see anything under 1m sold a "it's doing great". it may be niche but it was also one of the most hyped games ever and something like the second coming of the PS3

iceatcs

iamaustrian said:
yakuza 3 was one very expensive game, so even with 100k+ sold I would consider it a huge flop.
how much did Heavy Rain cost to make? I can't see anything under 1m sold a "it's doing great". it may be niche but it was also one of the most hyped games ever and something like the second coming of the PS3
I thought Heavy Rain is one of the most hating game ever.

spwolf

iamlol said:

right.

Yoboman

iamaustrian said:
Haha is this sarcasm? I can't tell

Yoboman said:
Haha is this sarcasm? I can't tell
It's iamaustrian and you will have another spoonful!

Rez said:
hmm, I really ought to check it out. I haven't really kept up on it.
I have kept up on it, but I've been doing something new this generation and waiting to buy games. If I still want it six to eight months down the line I should get it, and for a discount.

Does that make me evil?

Mael

people compared Splinter Cell Conviction to Red Steel 2 here?:lol :lol :lol
Seriously if you can't the difference in marketing & advertisement between the 2 I guess we should all expect Other M to have the marketing blitz of WiiFit!

If they're doing the same thing in the US than here, they've sent RS2 to die and will do anything short of bribe to ensure Conviction is a success.
The fact that Conviction have a broader appeal than RS 2 doesn't help at all.

And people who didn't see Yakuza 3 bombing where pretty much blind.

I'm talking 1rst month here,
although I very much doubt that RS2 will have any leg but that was known when they cut the multiplayer :-/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thunder Monkey said:
It's iamaustrian and you will have another spoonful!

I have kept up on it, but I've been doing something new this generation and waiting to buy games. If I still want it six to eight months down the line I should get it, and for a discount.

Does that make me evil?
A few months ago, I probably would have answered yes, but recently I've been in no rush to buy games as well. I've been making my way through FFXIII slowly over the past month and enjoying myself, and I have no intention of buying Red Read Redemption, Splinter Cell or Alan Wake on release day, but all are on my "to-buy" radar.

If I was left to my own devices, I'd probably still be buying everything as soon as possible, but, eh, responsibility is just the worst
best
thing.

iamaustrian said:

What? :lol

Kenka

Could the Gamasutra article feature some news about the Silent Hill sales ? I am bit nervous about those ones. The game received its fair share of praise and critics on GAF but never looked like a hushy production. I wish it had sold more than 100'000 in the US by now.

Heavy Rain has been promoted (at least in Europe) as a horror-drama blockbuster, a grand cinematic experience for PS3. It's seen heavy advertising and must have cost a lot to produce.

I expect that Sony would be satisfied if the game got at least 800k at the US market, and another 500k+ in Europe, but they must hope for much more than this too.

Rez said:
A few months ago, I probably would have answered yes, but recently I've been in no rush to buy games as well. I've been making my way through FFXIII slowly over the past month and enjoying myself, and I have no intention of buying Red Read Redemption, Splinter Cell or Alan Wake on release day, but all are on my "to-buy" radar.

If I was left to my own devices, I'd probably still be buying everything as soon as possible, but, eh, responsibility is just the worst
best
thing.
I think I really liked getting Mass Effect and Mirrors Edge for $30 is what did it for me. Sooner or later I'll get Mass Effect 2 at a similarly attractive price.

I also find it easy to ignore threads dedicated to said games by posting random penis and ejaculate jokes in the OT. Though in games that story means jack I'll still post in those threads. Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear.

Kisses,
TM

Shiggy

A game with next to no marketing, which is repetitive and doesn't have a broad appeal, is expected to sell well? Here we go again, Dead Space Extraction. Though they put a little bit more effort into RS2 (but then its sales are 5 times as high).

lawblob said:
Im' a little shocked at all the PS3 games in the top 20. Wow.
It might be the 3rd runner up, but it's a hearty 3rd man. I'm excited.

This gen is proving to be even more interesting then I'd initially thought. The Wii is ahead of the PS2 at similar time spans, the 360 is well past the Xbox coming up on the N64, and the PS3 is zooming past the GCN and looks likely to end around Xbox levels in America.

That's a huge fucking market.

Kuramu

Pureauthor said:
Am I the only one who thinks Red Steel 2 would have sold better had they disassociated it from the Red Steel name?

That's what I was thinking. I was personally wary due to the first game, but I'm so glad I took the chance. Red Steel 2 is the kind of thing I was waiting for since Wii was announced

Elios83

Thunder Monkey said:
It might be the 3rd runner up, but it's a hearty 3rd man. I'm excited.

This gen is proving to be even more interesting then I'd initially thought. The Wii is ahead of the PS2 at similar time spans, the 360 is well past the Xbox coming up on the N64, and the PS3 is zooming past the GCN and looks likely to end around Xbox levels in America.

That's a huge fucking market.

According to LTD sales in the US (updated to this month):

PlayStation2 45.477.065
Nintendo DS 39.829.254
Game Boy Advance 36.093.054
Wii 28.539.878
N64 20.063.000
Xbox 360 19.724.132
PSP 17.191.820
Xbox 14.500.480
PlayStation3 12.076.004
Gamecube 11.769.728

360 and PS3 have already surpassed N64 WW, PS3 has already surpassed the GC in the US and with only 2.5m units to go it will surpass the original Xbox in the US by the end of this year. But your point is absolutely valid, the market is huge and now even the third place consoles (PS3 in this case) can do great numbers.

Eliciel

Rez said:

best
thing.

lately, I've been doing just the same thing and I have the impression that a lot of people are sticking with this "buy-strategy". Because you won't even miss a thing if you play FF XIII 6 months later or what ever.

In the end I think there is much more to it if you try to play games more slowly and really enjoy them. I will definetely stick to this strategy, because up till now it was a win-win situation, for my enjoyment and my wallet

kswiston

Elios83 said:
According to LTD sales in the US (updated to this month):

PlayStation2 45.477.065
Nintendo DS 39.829.254
Game Boy Advance 36.093.054
Wii 28.539.878
N64 20.063.000
Xbox 360 19.724.132
PSP 17.191.820
Xbox 14.500.480
PlayStation3 12.076.004
Gamecube 11.769.728

360 and PS3 have already surpassed N64 WW, PS3 has already surpassed the GC in the US and with only 2.5m units to go it will surpass the original Xbox in the US by the end of this year. But your point is absolutely valid, the market is huge and now even the third place consoles (PS3 in this case) can do great numbers.

Ya, if this gen gets two more full years (ie. new consoles debut in Fall 2012), PS3 should pass N64/SNES in the US.

PS3 has sold 3.8M consoles in the past seven months, since the debut of the slim model. Even with a conservative 220k/month in hardware sales for the next 5 months (Apr-Aug 2010), the PS3 should still break 5M sold during the slim's first full year. Another 7M console sales from Holiday 2010 to Holiday 2012 shouldn't be that hard.

If I had to guess, I would say that PS3 LTD sales will end up in the low-mid 20M range, and 360 LTD sales will be somewhere around 30M. Three of the six best selling home consoles of all time will have been from this generation.

WillyFive

Last night, I was excited that Fragile was finally going to be localized.

I had absolutely no idea it has already been out.

What in the world are publishers doing? Is this a joke?

Shiggy said:
A game with next to no marketing, which is repetitive and doesn't have a broad appeal, is expected to sell well? Here we go again, Dead Space Extraction. Though they put a little bit more effort into RS2 (but then its sales are 5 times as high).

Um, as has been pointed out several times, the game had marketing. Not Assasins Creed level marketing, but mid-tier stuff. Certainly not "next to no marketing"

Talon

Holy hell, the DSi XL by itself outsold the PSP?

I can't even believe that something as ridiculous as the DSi XL even sold well, much less outsell its competitor outright.

Owzers

velvet_nitemare said:
Um, as has been pointed out several times, the game had marketing. Not Assasins Creed level marketing, but mid-tier stuff. Certainly not "next to no marketing"

I'm convinced that there is a hat people pull excuses out of whenever a Wii game doesn't sell well. Sometimes they'll get lucky and the excuse will apply and other times....

Willy105 said:
Last night, I was excited that Fragile was finally going to be localized.

I had absolutely no idea it has already been out.

What in the world are publishers doing? Is this a joke?

To be fair, the game had terrible word of mouth, and has been critically panned(66.6% on Gamerankings, 67% on Metacritic). JGAF basically said the gameplay was terrible. No use throwing money at a game that won't appeal to a bunch of people. Forum dwellers will know about it without the need of a tv/ magazine ad.

Publishers allocate their advertising dollars based on expectations, and i don't think expecting anything more than the bare minimum marketing for fragile is realistic. At least be happy it got localized, unlike some publishers who don't even bother and won't let someone else take a chance to publish their games.

AFreak

Banned
Pandoracell said:
Succesful open world games in the traditional sense, off the top of my head, this generation:

Prototype
Red Faction: Guerilla
GTA IV
Crackdown
Saints Row 1+2

Plus you have genre convergence, so you have many games with open world elements. Assasins' Creed, Far Cry 2, etc. And there are other games, such as Bully, but i'm not sure how well they performed. I wouldn't say the genre is in any kind of decline.

You forgot Infamous up in that list.

Top Bottom