• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Wow.

Do you know if SimCity and HOTS are close to the top 10?

I can't speak to digital, but SimCity sold more at retail than Sim City 4 did, which is super impressive, considering how much PC market has shrunk at retail since 2003. It's doing really well.

BlackJace

Anecdotal, but a friend who works retail claims that they're even having a hard time keeping the boxed versions of SimCity stocked. It's raked in so much dough for EA.

I can't speak to digital, but SimCity sold more at retail than Sim City 4 did, which is super impressive, considering how much PC market has shrunk at retail since 2003. It's doing really well.

Anecdotal, but a friend who works retail claims that they're even having a hard time keeping the boxed versions of SimCity stocked. It's raked in so much dough for EA.

Gamers embracing the always-on future :/

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
We're already seeing third parties giving up on the Wii U, and they're not coming back, especially when the PS4 and Durango come out and there's a noticeable power gap. There's nothing on the horizon that's going to change that.

WiiU isn't going to succeed based on whether or not third parties are largely present. WiiU is only going to succeed if Nintendo finds some way to turn around the ship through a relaunch, new accessory, and/or price drop coupled with compelling software of their own. For now WiiU will continue to get Ubi-Soft, Warner Bros, and Activision support along with some trickled in Japanese support until the ship is turned around. if Nintendo fails to do so, then even that will dwindle away.

Is the 3DS sales no. basically confirmed? And did we ever get sales for February and January? Because 230k seems surprisingly solid at this point. I mean if the releases up until this point are already showing effect I'd say we can expect really good numbers in the second half of the year. The lineup is amazing and includes several games that'll probably sell really well and also sell lots of 3DS systems.
After all the dedicated handheld market might not be as dead in the west as some thought ^^

Do you know what Mass Effect 3, Bioshock, and Oblivion did on PS3's 1st month and/or LTD? These are late, $60 ports like NFS:MW WiiU so I'm rather curious. If you can't divulge numbers/range, just a hint will suffice.

WiiU isn't going to succeed based on whether or not third parties are largely present. WiiU is only going to succeed if Nintendo finds some way to turn around the ship through a relaunch, new accessory, and/or price drop coupled with compelling software of their own. For now WiiU will continue to get Ubi-Soft, Warner Bros, and Activision support along with some trickled in Japanese support until the ship is turned around. if Nintendo fails to do so, then even that will dwindle away.
Maybe not, but it certainly doesn't help. It just reinforces the idea that people buy Nintendo home consoles for Nintendo games, and makes third parties even less confident in putting their games on Nintendo home consoles.

A relaunch this early could possibly confuse consumers even more about what the Wii U is. A new accessory won't help much when people already think the Wii U is an accessory. A price drop coupled with software could help, but some retailers have already made unofficial price drops on the Wii U and it has seemingly failed to cause any significant increase in sales.

Reposting for the new page:-
Very kind of you.

91 K for Wii impresses me, a console left for itself and still manages to outsell it's successor. What are the regular Wii and DS prices in America?

It seems Nintendo could've managed to support Wii for a couple of more years and concentrate their efforst on 3DS until coming up with something worthwhile for the console space.

Massa

Do you know what Mass Effect 3, Bioshock, and Oblivion did on PS3's 1st month and/or LTD? These are late, $60 ports like NFS:MW WiiU so I'm rather curious. If you can't divulge numbers/range, just a hint will suffice.

You mean Mass Effect 2? It did double-digits on PSN, 76k at retail.

It really doesn't look good for WiiU or third party support for now or the forseable future. I seem to see few games that are announced as multi platform where there is a U version. It's more of a surprise if there is. It's got a a lot of months to go before it'll see a decent uplift in sales as there's no killer software on the horizon and no big Nintendo hitters till at least Oct/Nov. A price cut may help it cruise along the summer months a little but it's not going to do much. It's a complete miss managed launch for a console with promising titles few and far between. Third party support is dire and it's mainly scraps, very few major games. Embarrassingly highlighted in Nintendo's PR this month. I do wonder what Nintendo's battle plan is. Are they really gonna brush the console off till the holidays when they could relaunch it? Third parties and retailers would be asking for blood and abandon it long before if it keeps this up.

liger05

Very kind of you.

91 K for Wii impresses me, a console left for itself and still manages to outsell it's successor. What are the regular Wii and DS prices in America?

It seems Nintendo could've managed to support Wii for a couple of more years and concentrate their efforst on 3DS until coming up with something worthwhile for the console space.

Yes. There was no reason to let the wii die like they did.

ASIS

Very kind of you.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Wii could have been so much more than what we got. I still love it though.

Yes. There was no reason to let the wii die like they did.
And what a dead it was in America! There was Nintendo sitting in a pile of very interesting titles already released in Japan, just a localization away from market, yet they decide to let the console get cold as a block of ice and the public to lose interest.

What a weird company, no surprises they are in this hole right now.

Imagine Nintendo keeping Pikmin 3, Kid Icarus Uprising, New Super Mario Bros U etc. as Wii titles and holding off on Wii U for another year or two. I wonder if they would be in a better spot.

With regard to leaks ending up on sites, could start doing quote to reveal for numbers in NPD threads. Although it may not stop some sites from getting the info?
Yes, that's the historical norm in the U.S. market for pretty much any system.
So, where's this expectation (general, not necessarily from you) for particular software releases to move the needle in a meaningful and sustained manner?

With regard to price - setting aside that the Wii U can be had for a relatively inexpensive $300-350 - presumably you agree that price reduction only results in sustained rise given good timing and an appealing core product with specific market(s) to which to sell.

A price cut for the Vita for example would likely result in a transient spike before a return to the abysmal norm. It's a product made for a market that doesn't exist.

So therein lies the question: What exactly is the market for the Wii U; fundamentally, who is the Wii U supposed to sell to?

So therein lies the question: What exactly is the market for the Wii U; fundamentally, who is the Wii U supposed to sell to?
I made that question months ago, possibly even a year, before the device was released. Wii U is a product withouth a clear strategy that doesn't fullfil any market or user's needs. It is just there to mark Nintendo's prescense in the console space. And in this space the only way the company can make an impact is with a breakthrough product, something that provides a unique experience not available in the direct competition or other markets.

That's the state the company has dragged itself into, if the product in question fails to be something special, the company just can't compensate the weak 3rd party relationships, the behind the times online infrastructure and the behind the curve hardware (specs wise)

But even with that, the loyal user base and the first party software has been enough for to at least stay in black. It seems that although a slower process the Wii U could still pull that of.

Even without clear vision I expected a lot more from the system.

But this rested solely on NSMB. I thought at the time in Wii's case it was NSMB that spurred Wii sales further. In retrospect it appears it was the Wii fervor that did it.

WiiU doesn't have the interest, NSMB sells respectably but much more muted in comparison to releases of the same series on popular hardware.

I'm glad that Nintendo is getting humbled. Sony got humbled with the PS3 and it was the best thing to happen to them, IMHO. It made them hungry, and their quality and output has improved immensely.

As a big nintendo fan a decade ago, I felt they've significantly dropped their quality and become too complacent for my tastes. Derivative new super mario, mario kart, etc. ad nauseum just isn't going to cut it anymore. They need to be invented and put forth serious investment in their titles, otherwise people will lose interest (even the core gamers).

Best Nintendo can hope for at this point is to at least sway some of the core Nintendo (or ex Nintendo) fans back on their side and salvage the Wii U as being at least as successful as the GameCube.

Even without clear vision I expected a lot more from the system.

But this rested solely on NSMB. I thought at the time in Wii's case it was NSMB that spurred Wii sales further. In retrospect it appears it was the Wii fervor that did it.

WiiU doesn't have the interest, NSMB sells respectably but much more muted in comparison to releases of the same series on popular hardware.

NSMB may have spurred the Wii's sales further. It's just a different situation when so many people have already played the Wii and DS versions and it costs $400 to play the next one.

I'm glad that Nintendo is getting humbled. Sony got humbled with the PS3 and it was the best thing to happen to them, IMHO. It made them hungry, and their quality and output has improved immensely.

As a big nintendo fan a decade ago, I felt they've significantly dropped their quality and become too complacent for my tastes. Derivative new super mario, mario kart, etc. ad nauseum just isn't going to cut it anymore. They need to be invented and put forth serious investment in their titles, otherwise people will lose interest (even the core gamers).

Best Nintendo can hope for at this point is to at least sway some of the core Nintendo (or ex Nintendo) fans back on their side and salvage the Wii U as being at least as successful as the GameCube.

I don't think it's completely lost.

Well... any chance of them being the market leader is.

But I do think the Wii name will net them a good 30-50 million units. When there's appealing content and the price is dropped. Going so far over the Wii pricing structure was a huge mistake.

NSMB may have spurred the Wii's sales further. It's just a different situation when so many people have already played the Wii and DS versions and it costs $400 to play the next one.
Don't mistake me.

I think NSMB is the only reason they hit half of their initial projections and that it will sell consistently for the life of the platform, but it isn't a catalyst to explosive growth.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I wouldn't write NSMBU off, it has like the highest attach rate I've seen I think. What's the highest on record? Adoption has been crazy, its still like 70%. Clearly its the main - if not only - reason people bought the system

I wouldn't write NSMBU off, it has like the highest attach rate I've seen I think. What's the highest on record? Adoption has been crazy, its still like 70%. Clearly its the main - if not only - reason people bought the system
I'm just salty because my initial projections of "NSMB will take WiiU to 20 million units before either console from Sony or MS launch." are so very very wrong.

Well, i do understand your point of view but this is not whats happening. On the contrary, they have been relaying on derivative games of it's strongest properties more than ever. Just look at the recent Nintendo Direct for the 3DS. The quality was there but it's a by the numbers (for them) line up.

Surprsingly, the Wii had a very complete line up. The traditional I.P.s plus the experimental stuff for the new market.
I'm just salty because my initial projections of "NSMB will take WiiU to 20 million units before either console from Sony or MS launch." are so very very wrong.
As pointed out by many, in home consoles, NSMB is not a system seller. There needs to be an install base there for it to strectch the legs. A 3D Mario game would've been a better proposition. Yet, it does require a lot more time, R&D and money.

donny2112

So, where's this expectation (general, not necessarily from you) for particular software releases to move the needle in a meaningful and sustained manner?

You got to have a reason to buy the system initially. :p The hardcore enthusiast may be satisfied to pay hundreds of dollars on promise of games, but that's definitely not the norm. Having the back catalog (rarely just one game) can make it desirable, but it still won't be bought if the price is too high.

I know this is kind of basic "someone has to want something before they'll buy it" type stuff, but that's really where the games come in. As has been said before, systems are just a means to get to the games. It's a "tax," if you will, that has to be paid to be able to then play Halo, Killzone, Mario Kart, etc. The games will help raise the demand, but it won't result in much sales, if the price is still prohibitive. Now, it will result in some sales. Games do cause increases in hardware sales, even in the U.S. But the results are typically more temporary than price cuts.

For people who want to play the games on it, for which it first actually needs games people want to play. Don't know if you're trying to ask about "who wants a touchpad input device to play" or something, but if so, it's not about the hardware. It's about the games. The entertainment. The hardware is just a means to an end. Unless the hardware makes people not want to use it (e.g. headaches from Virtual Boy), the hardware part is only relevant in if it allows the particular game to be made on it.

For Wii U, it first needs games, because it first needs to be desirable to the mainstream purchasers. I don't think it actually is there, yet. If the games come without a price cut, there'll be some increase until the ones who wanted those games and were willing to pay that price are used up. However combining the games (to make the system actually desirable) with a big price cut (there's nothing reasonable about a Nintendo system at $350, from my viewpoint, as it's not what Nintendo has historically been at), opens up a much larger pool of buyers that would actually have a chance to be sustained with more software (which makes the system desirable to more at that price) before needing to cut price again later.

With Wii, it was a phenomenon. The pool who wanted Wii Sports was huge, as most everyone who played it wanted in. The $250 price of Wii Sports was reasonable for them. NSMBU for $350 is not, from my viewpoint.

Don't mistake me.

I think NSMB is the only reason they hit half of their initial projections and that it will sell consistently for the life of the platform, but it isn't a catalyst to explosive growth.

NSMB is no Wiisports, but very few software titles are catalysts for explosive growth. Put NSMB on a system that isn't $350, and it'd probably have a more tangible effect.

John or Cream,

What's the split for Bioshock? Curious to see if it's 360 heavy like Skyrim/ME and other games that were associated to the 360 early on this gen.

ASIS

I think it might do that, eventually. I mean NSMB isn't "new" anymore. People who want their 2d Mario fix can easily grab one that is still relatively recent. NSMBU, I think, will sell throughout the life of Wii U. But it's not a system seller, it doesn't show why this console is so special at all.

Well, i do understand your point of view but this is not whats happening. On the contrary, they have been relaying on derivative games of it's strongest properties more than ever. Just look at the recent Nintendo Direct for the 3DS. The quality was there but it's a by the numbers (for them) line up.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo is currently getting humbled, but it could lead to better investment in core games in the future.

I am not satisfied with their current Wii U or 3DS offerings. I haven't been fully satisfied with their software since the N64 days.

Oblivion might make a good comparison, as it released at a similar timeframe in the system lifecycle. Bioshock and ME2 less so, as both launched quite a bit later (ME2 was post slim even). Though even in Oblivion's case, 360 in 2006 isn't near the same scale as 360+PS3+Vita in 2012... what you'd want is a year late $50-60 port from PS2 early on in 360 or Wii or PS3's cycle.

Mrbob

I was wrong about NSMBU as well. I thought it would push the Wii U more than it has.

I think NSMB2 coming out first is the main reason why NSMBU is not a bigger system seller. Nintendo shouldn't have released two similar games in such a short span. A kid wants NSMBU and their parents tell the kid they already bought the new super mario brothers game on 3DS.

Oblivion might make a good comparison, as it released at a similar timeframe in the system lifecycle. Bioshock and ME2 less so, as both launched quite a bit later (ME2 was post slim even). Though even in Oblivion's case, 360 in 2006 isn't near the same scale as 360+PS3+Vita in 2012... what you'd want is a year late $50-60 port from PS2 early on in 360 or Wii or PS3's cycle.

I think all those games are good analogies. Different circumstances sure, but the point is they are old ports at full price. They also came out 1 year after the 360/PC versions whereas NFS:MW came out only 5 months after the other versions.

Razdek

Banned
Vita sales are a joke and to save it by turning it into a PS4 remote playing or some indie device means that Sony has failed. I didn't buy a Vita for any of that stuff and expected strong software support from Sony at least and that's nowhere to be found. Maybe I should "wait till Killzone" for things to change as they say.

Petrae

already started

:(

Interesting. If retailers lose faith/interest in Wii U as a platform, how will it compete for what will be valuable shelf space as planning begins for the holiday season?

Considering that we're expecting 1-2 new platforms, plus 360 and PS3 remaining, then trying to clear out Wii stock, plus 3DS and possibly Vita (another hard sell)... how much room do retailers give Wii U, especially if there's weak consumer interest?

This could be interesting to watch, and another reason why Nintendo absolutely must deliver at E3 in a few weeks.

freefornow

If WiiU lifetime sales is just over 1,000,000 in the US and the cumulative sales in Japan are 850,000, what are the sales in Europe and other regions??? Because if you go by Nintendo, they sold 3.10 million WiiU's by end of December 2012.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

Is Europe that strong? What other market is selling WiiU's at phenomenal rates?? Or does Nintendo count sales in a different way??

When looking at the provided data, Nintendo state that 1.3M consoles were sold in the Americas by end of 2012? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1212.pdf

Investors meeting should be interesting.

Valkyria

If WiiU lifetime sales is just over 1,000,000 in the US and the cumulative sales in Japan are 850,000, what are the sales in Europe and other regions??? Because if you go by Nintendo, they sold 3.10 million WiiU's by end of December 2012.

Is Europe that strong? What other market is selling WiiU's at phenomenal rates?? Or does Nintendo count sales in a different way??

Europe should have the same number of consoles that NA, above 1 million. Europe market is slightly smaller than NA market.

Is the 3DS sales no. basically confirmed? And did we ever get sales for February and January? Because 230k seems surprisingly solid at this point. I mean if the releases up until this point are already showing effect I'd say we can expect really good numbers in the second half of the year. The lineup is amazing and includes several games that'll probably sell really well and also sell lots of 3DS systems.
After all the dedicated handheld market might not be as dead in the west as some thought ^^

Yes the hardware numbers are "essentially confirmed," just short of an official press release. This month was surprisingly accurate in terms of leaks. :p

The market isn't dead....it's just shrinking--shrinking to a point where there's only room for one dedicated portable.

Hsieh

Investers meeting should be interesting.
Nintendo's numbers are shipped to retailers, tracker numbers are sold to consumers. Wii U was overshipped, there's already been an unofficial price drop in Europe.

When looking at the provided data, Nintendo state that 1.3M consoles were sold in the Americas by end of 2012? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1212.pdf

Investors meeting should be interesting.

The 3.1 million is shipped numbers, it wa 2.04 million sold at the end of dec.

Europe should have the same number of consoles that NA, above 1 million. Europe market is slightly smaller than NA market.

EU might be close in size to US market but the WiiU had a much slower start there, it will be very far from close to the WiiU sales in the US.

Honey Bunny

better than vita!

image.php

Top Bottom