• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

It also added multiplayer to the series, which likely sold a lot of people on the game.

It sales are down. I'd understand this if it were up. I've began to seriously doubt the sales effects of MP as an attribute in itself though so maybe am being unfair.

We're never going to get actual numbers for most of this shit are we? Embarrassing.

I hope one day we start to get more. We don't get much in PALand either.

I think it has something to do with multiplayer betas. Every single game Sony has beta tested on PSN has bombed, StarHawk, God of war (50% drop compared to GOWIII), Playstation All Stars and probably more.

btrboyev

And I will scratch my head when I think about Nintendo getting away without including a fucking ethernet port in their 2013 console. Companies do dumb shit to save money.

Like Apple?

Not many people have a router close to their consoles and they caertainly aren't going to run a long cable through the house.

People still use ethernet ports on consoles?

Ermm... with the PS3 it's pretty much mandatory, especially for PSN downloads and updates.

Given a choice between the slow ass built in Wireless G (PS3 still doesn't support wireless N) and the Gigabit Ethernet solution, GigE wins. Every single time.

ascii42

Like Apple?

Not many people have a router close to their consoles and they caertainly aren't going to run a long cable through the house.

Well, then they have the option of wi-fi. And anyway, what's considered a normal place for a router? Mine is in the living room, as is my parents'. That's also where our TV and my consoles that I still bother to connect to the Internet are. I'd think that's a fairly normal.

I guess a lot of people with desktop computers would probably have the router wherever that computer is. And by the way, Apple still includes ethernet ports on their desktop computers.

People still use ethernet ports on consoles?

Yup. For my PS3 and 360 at least. Not like I was going to buy that stupid overpriced wi-fi add-on for the 360.

QaaQer

If you're lucky enough to have your router in the same location as your home entertainment setup (like me), there's no reason not to use ethernet cables. I even have them color coded :3

yup. It's a super easy hookup.

But my problem with Scrooge McTendo is no optical. I have a custom setup (i.e. home built) set up, and I used optical, coax, and minijack for the audio inputs when building the dac. Why the hell isn't one of those part of the deluxe sku?

I probably would have bought a wii u already if it wasn't for that.

GavinGT

Banned
If you're lucky enough to have your router in the same location as your home entertainment setup (like me), there's no reason not to use ethernet cables. I even have them color coded :3

Or just if you're lucky enough to be able to drill holes. I've got several 75-foot ethernet cables strung through my attic, and thanks to Monoprice they're super cheap.

Ermm... with the PS3 it's pretty much mandatory, especially for PSN downloads and updates.

Given a choice between the slow ass built in Wireless G (PS3 still doesn't support wireless N) and the Gigabit Ethernet solution, GigE wins. Every single time.

I use my PS3's wifi exclusively and it downloads just fine. I get around 1MB/s on my downloads, normally.

kswiston

I think it has something to do with multiplayer betas. Every single game Sony has beta tested on PSN has bombed, StarHawk, God of war (50% drop compared to GOWIII), Playstation All Stars and probably more.

600k for Ascension is not a bomb. This was a cash-grab game. It would be different if we were talking about God of War 4.

Honey Bunny

The only concrete info is from nintendo themselves on their last report.

France>UK=Germany > etc and that is market %, so with UK being still the largest market in Europe actual number sales will be France> UK> Germany > etc

Have you or anyone else got a link to where they released this info? I remember seeing the data in another thread but can't find it.

Smash 4 online is gonna be AMAZING

Hopefully most people will use very good routers and have their Wii U relatively close to their router, or if needed will use either ethernet cable or Powerline technology to set up a wireless N access point that is relatively close to their console so that they get a strong enough signal. In fact, I have faith that people will even go through the steps necessary to reduce wireless interference as needed and will optimize their wireless network as much as they can. :)

...inb4 50% of people use cheap Netgear routers 80 feet and 5 walls away from their Wii U.

For people who want to play the games on it, for which it first actually needs games people want to play. Don't know if you're trying to ask about "who wants a touchpad input device to play" or something, but if so, it's not about the hardware. It's about the games. The entertainment. The hardware is just a means to an end. Unless the hardware makes people not want to use it (e.g. headaches from Virtual Boy), the hardware part is only relevant in if it allows the particular game to be made on it.
The Wii proves that this is not always the case.
What I'm saying is that Nintendo is currently getting humbled, but it could lead to better investment in core games in the future.

I am not satisfied with their current Wii U or 3DS offerings. I haven't been fully satisfied with their software since the N64 days.
Add me to the group that thinks Nintendo hasn't been able to match the software quality of the N64 days. Given that their whole "hook" strategy has failed let's hope at least the focus in development increases the quality throughput.
I think it might do that, eventually. I mean NSMB isn't "new" anymore. People who want their 2d Mario fix can easily grab one that is still relatively recent. NSMBU, I think, will sell throughout the life of Wii U. But it's not a system seller, it doesn't show why this console is so special at all.
The irony lies in that NSMBU would have been the perfect game to release after the OS and it's social features are mature enough. The game is all about clever ways to run it, would've been great if it featured an integrated way to share this type of content.
It's not even the lowest sales month for the Wii U.
Was January 5 weeks? If not March at 67k would be the lowest. Edit: and thanks for the correcction. Still an increase of 10K with the new software releases is rather pathetic. SO i don't know which one is worse: 57k january or 67k march.

not really. 3ds demo skews heavily to the under 12s. MH just isn't all that appealing to them. I'm guess the wii u userbase right now consists of die hard Nintendo fans, who are most likely >12 y.o.

Do you have proof of this? I constantly see Nintendo consoles skews to *insert low age* demographic with no link, no charts, no evidence whatsoever

Do you have proof of this? I constantly see Nintendo consoles skews to *insert low age* demographic with no link, no charts, no evidence whatsoever
I think this was settled long ago. Scientifically proven with science, ect...

hy7wIEC.jpg

donny2112

The Wii proves that this is not always the case.

The Wii proves this is the case. If they didn't launch with Wii Sports, motion controls by themselves wouldn't have driven sales like they did. In that case the hardware allowed a game like Wii Sports to be made (as I said, the hardware is just important in that it allows the games to be made), but it was Wii Sports and not just the concept of motion controls that drove Wii sales.

big youth

purely anecdotal, but here in NA I literally only see kids playing 3DS. many kids, no adults. but to play devils advocate with myself maybe adults keep their 3DS at home, such as I do.

Infinite numbers are kinda disappointing considering how much hype this game had behind it. I'm sure it has sold over a mil by now, but that still really isn't all that great. I still need to beat it.

Infinite numbers are kinda disappointing considering how much hype this game had behind it. I'm sure it has sold over a mil by now, but that still really isn't all that great. I still need to beat it.

That's just console sales though, I'm curious how much it sold on PC considering there were so many promotions for it on Steam, Amazon and GMG

test_account

XP-39C²
I think they said 570k not including the hardware bundle.

edit: and another 40-50k (?) for the bundle.
That is quite different from the 360k estimation that there was a thread on earlier. I really like the multiplayer in God Of War: Ascension, especially the co-op. I hope that they will include a co-op mode like this in the next God Of War game as well :)

I think this was settled long ago. Scientifically proven with science, ect...

http://i.imgur.com/hy7wIEC.jpg
Why buy a console if one dont like video games? Hehe :p (i know it ment more as a joke, but i just had to say it =)).

Nessus

Especially since it seems to have been one of the more expensive games of the last little while. I really hope it does well so they can continue the series.

That is quite different from the 360k estimation that there was a thread on earlier. I really like the multiplayer in God Of War: Ascension, especially the co-op. I hope that they will include a co-op mode like this in the next God Of War game as well :)

Why buy a console if one dont like video games? Hehe :p (i know it ment more as a joke, but i just had to say it =)).

Yeah, I'm kind of impressed by how well GOWA sold. Neck and neck with Gears. (Though, I don't follow either series that closely.)

Game got a pretty damn big advertising campaign for a cash grab. It's been 3 years since the last game came out, that's not exactly a short, cheap development time.

The GOW3 team split up to develop GOW:A and a next-gen new IP.

The development costs for GOW:A were significantly less than GoW3.

Wireless works really well for me playing online. Don't buy the crappiest ones Scrooge Mcduck just so you can save a few nickels :|

Why bother at all when there's a perfectly good network port right there? I use wireless when I have to, I certainly don't choose to use it. Especially when I'm transferring files or (god forbid) streaming high bitrate HD movies over my local network.

Mr Swine

Banned
Why bother at all when there's a perfectly good network port right there? I use wireless when I have to, I certainly don't choose to use it. Especially when I'm transferring files or (god forbid) streaming high bitrate HD movies over my local network.

Why bother sitting and having a 20 meter long Ethernet cable when you can have wireless that you can connect everywhere in the house/apartment? I guess that transferring HD movies is one good reason going Ethernet but soon the new wireless 801.11ac is out.

But enough about that, how much has Vita and 3DS sold this month? Any guesses and estimations?

when you can have wireless that you can connect everywhere in the house/apartment
I'm not able to use my (dual band / radio) wireless N from one end of my house to the other, and this is not low end gear. I've ended up stuck with powerline networking for parts of my house as I'm unable to drill holes (I could run repeaters but powerline has worked out faster than wireless under testing).

But you're right, this is all a bit off topic.

Momentary

Banned
I hate that they never give digital downloads on these things. I wonder what the total number is for Bioshock: Infinite with downloads.

popeutlal

Wifi gaming is fine, it's been fine on the PC for years and fine on Wii U. PS3 needs ethernet since it uses a very crappy wifi chip.

Cheebo

Banned
Why bother sitting and having a 20 meter long Ethernet cable when you can have wireless that you can connect everywhere in the house/apartment? I guess that transferring HD movies is one good reason going Ethernet but soon the new wireless 801.11ac is out.

But enough about that, how much has Vita and 3DS sold this month? Any guesses and estimations?

230k for 3DS, 30k for Vita.

From donny:
donny2112 said:
360 - 261K
3DS - 230K
PS3 - 211K
Wii - 91K
NDS - 86K
Wii U - 67K
PSV - 33K
PSP - 8K

NDS, PSV, and PSP are calculated.

The Wii proves this is the case. If they didn't launch with Wii Sports, motion controls by themselves wouldn't have driven sales like they did. In that case the hardware allowed a game like Wii Sports to be made (as I said, the hardware is just important in that it allows the games to be made), but it was Wii Sports and not just the concept of motion controls that drove Wii sales.
Wii Sports is as mediocre game as you can get but it served it's purpose really well, introduce people to motion gaming. The Wii was a success because it offered something new. If it hadn't be any Wii Sports at launch it could have been any other Nintendo game that applied the concept of motion controls well enough. Somewhat related, in Japan the game wasn't included with the machine, it still performed quite well.

For comaprison, Nintendo Land is a more acomplished piece of software that offers more value. Yet it did not achieve Wii Sports level of penetration because the Wii U concept is not as alluring as the Wii was.

Your point of view fits better something like the N64, it had a groundbracking piece of software that complemented a new way of control. Withouth Mario 64 at launch the N64 would have performed a lot worse.

Road

hardware_us_japan_q1_rmsvt.png

2013 has one more week than 2012, by the way.

DS sales are basically make believe, but NPD (and Media Create) can't prove me wrong since they won't divulge the numbers anyway. Ha!

Zinthar

All of the games you mentioned scored pretty poorly with critics -- Ascension's 80 is the highest metacritic score among them.

Also, Uncharted 3 was beta tested and sold really well. I think the beta test was more or less irrelevant to the sales; it's all about the underlying quality of the game.

donny2112

If it hadn't be any Wii Sports at launch it could have been any other Nintendo game that applied the concept of motion controls well enough.

But it still would've been the game that drew people in. The hardware is just the medium to get the game into their hands.

Somewhat related, in Japan the game wasn't included with the machine, it still performed quite well.

Somewhat related, Wii Sports sold 3.7m in Japan despite the fact it wasn't bundled. :p

DaBoss

Most mindblowing bit on your graph is that the Vita in US+Japan for the 1st 3 months did better than the Wii U comparatively. Only by ~30k units but still. Holy shiet is it doing well for a "dead" handheld.

Both are doing terrible. Just because one is doing better than the other doesn't make one of them doing well.

Kusagari

I am surprised that God of War ascension did as well as it did. It dropped less than 50% from God of War 3 despite looking completely unnecessary and having a 80 metacritic score in a series that was previously always in the low 90s.

It probably benefited from the fact that it's been so long since God of War 3. The complete opposite of Judgement being the 4th Gears game this gen.

Top Bottom