• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Microsoft managed to offer Titanfall bundles for $499 and not $559 because Titanfall sales were not that great? I think Microsoft already had that price point set before Titanfall shipped and that was likely due to a slowdown of hardware sales since launch.

Excellent franchise but what impact of hardware sales did we see previously each year?

I dont think we look at it that way, before anyone with an Xbox could still get at least an average baseball game in 2k, now any baseball fan that wants a decent baseball game on current gen will have to go PS4 unless they want to go even worse and settle for RBI baseball. That is why I feel this Show will push hardware further than before

Ah ok didn't see that. Still it's an impressive number given the install base and doesn't include digital XB1 sales, the majority of PC sales, and whatever 360 manages

I'm sure Respawn are happy, as are EA. It'll be the game to get with an XB1 for some time even if XB1 sales slow like they probably will

Moneyhatting must cost a lot for Microsoft right about now...

Yep.

It would have been smarter to keep first party studios around and create tons of great content themselves, but they were stupid and culled their studios instead of building them last generation.

It depends on how much they want the crown. If they figure they can make enough money without being first place in the US, then they don't have to spend much.

We'll see what happens. It hasn't even been a year into the life-cycle yet. A lot can still happen.

I'm not even sure what we're arguing about. The price cuts and bundling are responses to disappointing Xbox One sales. I would have expected a $110 price drop to dramatically increase weekly sales for March vs. February. But they didn't. In fact, it sold less on a weekly basis.

PS3 actually sold better than the 360 during most of its lifespan, WW. But it still struggled out of the gate, and particularly in the US Sony was hoping titles like MGS4 would change the tide. It managed to let the PS3 outsell the 360 for a month before it was back to business as usual. But even during that month, Sony didn't resort to bundling it for free and chopping $50 off the price on top of that.

When MGS4 came out Sony already dropped the price of the system a few times. Sony was also bleeding money from the PS3 hardware out of the gate and it took years before they started making a profit.

As for Titanfall you were making it sound like weak Titanfall sales were the reason for bundling the game and offering price drops.

I dont think we look at it that way, before anyone with an Xbox could still get at least an average baseball game in 2k, now any baseball fan that wants a decent baseball game on current gen will have to go PS4 unless they want to go even worse and settle for RBI baseball. That is why I feel this Show will push hardware further than before

It's almost become moot at this point because I don't think it's the exclusives that are pushing PS4 hardware sales right now.

I don't see any comments on the real race to watch: when will the 360 overtake the Wii? We thought it was going to happen last year, but it keeps disappearing into the distance like a mirage in the desert. At the difference this month, it'll still take another 5 months to happen.

I doubt Microsoft would be able to secure any more big exclusives considering how much better the PS4 is selling.

BTW, just because XB1 is in 2nd place, it doesn't mean its doomed. It just means its losing.

Well, Microsoft got themselves into a fucked up position last gen.

Because they got to #1 in America, they shifted their entire company structure to something that relied on that.

Of the three companies, they're the worst with 1st-party studios and self-made exclusives. They depend on 3rd-party sales more than any other console. AND additionally, every single major franchise of theirs is a "Me too" game that has a parallel on the PS4.

Additionally, their bread & butter profit is from Xbox Live Gold. But now with PS+ charging AND being the more popular device, it's only a matter of time until those XBL numbers dwindle significantly as people see no need to pay for both, especially as their friends are all on PS4.

So less 3rd-party sales (As most people will eventually get a PS4, and multi-plats are better there), less 1st-party games, and less XBL Gold subscribers = a LOT less sales.

Well, the quote is to someone that said they better bring it at E3....

...but then again, if the leaks were true, we already know they're big plans for the rest of this year and Halo 2 Anniversary just ain't gonna cut it.

Yup, if all they have to reveal for this year is a remake of a 10 year old game and yet another Forza game, it's just not going to fly.

Combination of price drops (mostly via new hardware revisions), lots of great exclusive games, and big improvements to PSN, most of which came post-2010.

It was a gradual come from behind victory for the PS3, it wasn't one big release that pushed them past the Xbox 360.

Didn't the PS3 sell more WW every single year except on it's release yet?

FiggyCal

Banned
Well, the quote is to someone that said they better bring it at E3....

...but then again, if the leaks were true, we already know they're big plans for the rest of this year and Halo 2 Anniversary just ain't gonna cut it.

I thought we went over this. ntkrnl was working for Microsoft.

Gator86

JNMkgTu.gif

at this point everyone at the xbox division should have their twitter accounts removed.

Please understand

Dorrin

LOL. It IS real sales to Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't just flood the market with Xbox Ones on the hopes that consumers will purchase them. A retailer actually has to order the consoles. And when they order consoles they pay Microsoft. From your perspective, I see what you're saying, but think of it from Microsoft's perspective. They got paid. That is a fact. No spin.

Just wanted to mention that it might be possible that Microsoft has a Scanned Based Trading relationship with some of its retailer partners. In those cases the manufacturer still actually owns the product even when it is at the store up until the consumer actually purchases the product. More and more retailers are doing this as it drives inventory costs off of their books onto their suppliers books. Wal-Mart for example was one of the first and largest companies to do this. I have no specific knowledge of how Microsoft does its contracts with its retail partners but if they are a scan based trading supplier then saying they 'shipped' units does not mean they 'sold' those units.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see any comments on the real race to watch: when will the 360 overtake the Wii? We thought it was going to happen last year, but it keeps disappearing into the distance like a mirage in the desert. At the difference this month, it'll still take another 5 months to happen.

It would've probably happened by now if Microsoft still cared about the 360.

what they should do is cut the price to $99 and get rid of the app pay wall so people buy into the xbox brand instead of Apple TV or that Amazon fire thing.

Obviously they're not going to do that though because they want people to buy an xbo and not a 360.

Ok, so ps4 is the obvious winner. But xbone sales are not bad at all, and are clearly way above wii u. Ms will stay in 2nd place this gen and will make money. I don't see what the big deal is and why it's so shocking? I mean, ps4 has had more hype and positive press since feb 2013, nothing is going to stop that. The real loser here is Nintendo as far as I can see. Their presence is totally non existent on this npd yet everyone is focused on how bad ms is doing. A huh...

TheHater

Obviously, YMMV, but as far as I can tell, you can walk into any Best Buy, GameStop, etc. and buy a PS4 as well now.
possibility. My brother had to order from amazon because the bestbuy and 2 gamestop around us didn't have any in stock.
It could just be my area where the ps4 stock is limited.

It is fairly interesting. I suspect 360 will pass Wii's LTD at some point

Any idea what PS2's is/was in the US? And what's Wii LTD for comparison?

Ok, so ps4 is the obvious winner. But xbone sales are not bad at all, and are clearly way above wii u. Ms will stay in 2nd place this gen and will make money. I don't see what the big deal is and why it's so shocking? I mean, ps4 has had more hype and positive press since feb 2013, nothing is going to stop that. The real loser here is Nintendo as far as I can see. Their presence is totally non existent on this npd yet everyone is focused on how bad ms is doing. A huh...

I agree. It's like saying Pepsi is dead because Coke holds more market share. Nonsense. They're both doing well. One just so happens to be doing better.

Papacheeks

Banned
I love the fact that people are glazing over the real issue MS has with their box in different countries outside of US,UK and Germany.

The Big reason Xbox:One is only in 13 territories is because of Localization, and TV features for other countries.

Holly shit how do you Freaking miss that in the article by Time.

Hence why they are not shipping to Japan till July. And the rest of the Markets they targeted are in September.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/03/xbox-one-new-markets

This is why there is such a huge gap, the way Kinect works with Voice for Different languages is a bitch to program especially on a system running 3 different OS's.

The fact IGN is talking about this on Twitter is idiotic as they have not figured this out either.

Holly Shit Journalists need to understand the medium before writing an article.

The regions they launched in were ones where Localization was not as big of a hassle. Hence UK, Germany, and so on.

Hard to believe there are still morons in the industry who get paid to write uneducated articles about a medium where the information is available to them.

Pure Ignorance!

FiggyCal

Banned

If that's the threshold of bad, then the Vita is doing pretty well also.

RedStep

jesus fucking christ.....
4xlZ2mB.png

Oh, so that's what I bought a PS4 for. Thanks, Phil.

Games that look and run better on the Ps4.

JNMkgTu.gif

at this point everyone at the xbox division should have their twitter accounts removed.

For those whose reading comprehension didn't go past the 2nd Grade, here is the Twitter conversation:

@WolfPackZXoxP3 said:
This is the most important E3 since 2007. Hope you bring the hype.

@XboxP3 said:
Bringing more than hype, bringing games.

Now explain how that comment shouldn't have been posted. Or does every single word from MS have to be "We suck, our system is shit" or we'll have to endure your shitty "clever" remarks?

I love the fact that people are glazing over the real issue MS has with their box in different countries outside of US,UK and Germany.

The Big reason Xbox:One is only in 13 territories is because of Localization, and TV features for other countries.

Hence why they are not shipping to Japan till July. And the rest of the Markets they targeted are in September.

This is why there is such a huge gap, the way Kinect works with Voice for Different languages is a bitch to program especially on a system running 3 different OS's.

The fact IGN is talking about this on Twitter is idiotic as they have not figured this out either.

The regions they launched in were ones where Localization was not as big of a hassle. Hence UK, Germany, and so on.

Hard to believe there are still morons in the industry who get paid to write uneducated articles about a medium where the information is available to them.

Pure Ignorance!

Those markets may not make much of a difference to that gap. Outside of the UK and the USA and perhaps Australia the XBox isn't that impactful compared to the Playstation brand is it?

If that's the threshold of bad, then the Vita is doing pretty well also.

So selling over 300,000 is just as bad as selling 10,000?

You two might be even...but the US and the world is not.

I understand this. I'm making a horrible attempt at explaining Titanfall isn't this horrible game that people are returning after one night with it. This coming from somebody who's never played it.

Pure Ignorance!

Hmm but weren't some of the original 21 countries that didn't make it into the 13, countries that official languages were already being supported by XB1 in other countries?

Sweden or Switzerland I think is an example of one

Plus isn't New Zealand missing certain voice commands like "Xbox On"?

Chobel

Are you sure it includes bundled TF? It seems like it wouldn't because those were digital copies of the game. Plus I thought bundles usually don't count regardless.

NPD doesn't say Titanfall sold +1m (Source Zefah) so creamsugar must be including the bundle sales.

I was definitely shocked, even though MGS4 didn't change anything in a long run it did put the PS3 at the top for consoles, and everything stabilized after that, this time the XB1 didn't get close with a perceived system seller. The January drop was already pretty bad and I'm wondering what could stop it from dropping to similar lower levels with nothing else coming out for months.

Jomjom

Banned
Oh my god.... You guys are ridiculous, calling TitanFall a flop and the One a failure. Jesus. Both consoles are doing pretty damn good so far, with the PS4 doing AMAZING while the XBO just doing pretty great. Comparisons of the Wii U and Xbox One? Really?

So in other words PS4 is a 9.0 while Xbone is a 8.9?

Go_Ly_Dow

Just like many people here anticipated XB1 to outsell PS4 here due to Titanfall, a ton of people also said it wouldn't make much of a different because the game is also coming to 360.

Completely forget about that the latter. Makes sense why it didn't move systems.

Portugeezer

Colin is one of the few at IGN that calls it like he sees it. If you listen to Podcast Beyond he is far from a fanboy looking for a job at Sony. He criticizes them more than anyone.

I listen to both Podcast Beyond and Podcast Unlocked now and then, I agree with you, even Greg is critical to Sony.

Ryan is a plain fanboy who spins everything, which I dislike to see on a big site like IGN. I hope MS hire him so it would at least make some sense.

"But you could also argue Microsoft selling 5 million Xbox One units at that higher price point is as much an achievement as Sony selling 7 million PS4 units at its lower one."

I can't even.

Can you break down for me how much it would cost to port XV to the One versus how much revenue 400,000 copies would generate. And then can you give me your projections for what it would take to develop a brand new 3DS game or XII HD and explain why both a XII HD port AND a XV Xbox One port couldn't be done? To be perfectly clear here, my angle here is not that I think an Xbox One port is assured and is definitely the perfect business call. However, I will state plainly that I think your motivation here has less to do with your understanding of the logistics involved with the tradeoffs of Square Enix making these kinds of decisions and more with your affinity for Sony hardware. Now that I've laid that out, I'll conclude by stating that I'm not actually terribly interested in your estimates.

I said god damn

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Just like many people here anticipated XB1 to outsell PS4 here due to Titanfall, a ton of people also said it wouldn't make much of a different because the game is also coming to 360.

Completely forget about that the latter. Makes sense why it didn't move systems.

the 360 version came out in April. I would be amazed if it had any effect on people's purchasing decision considering they barely acknowledged it and didn't even show a single screenshot until release.

Colin is one of the few at IGN that calls it like he sees it. If you listen to Podcast Beyond he is far from a fanboy looking for a job at Sony. He criticizes them more than anyone.

That's why I love Collin.

Calls it like he sees it and is very articulate in his reasoning. Even though he is a regular on Beyond
BEYOND!
he isn't even close to a "fanboy".

Jomjom

Banned
Nope, you're wrong. Microsoft has said they will at worst case break even. That's worst case. So they are likely making a very slight profit, not losing money on every console told. No idea where you're pulling this misinformation from.

And you need to forget profit and loss. We're talking REVENUE, not profit. Do you know the difference?

Considering the manufacturing costs are estimated to be around $470, Best Buy is obviously paying MS less than $499 per console as they need to make a profit, and that's not factoring all the R&D, marketing, etc., yeah I don't think it's likely they are making a very slight profit... What they say all depends on how they calculate it.

No we were talking about if sale to retailers is meaningful. It's not. Companies don't thrive on revenue, they thrive on profit.

Yeah he is more fan, than fanboy. A real fan criticizes their favorite console, team, whatever it is because they want it to get better. Like what the hell does "very soon" mean for your damn update Sony!?

BigDug13

the 360 version came out in April. I would be amazed if it had any effect on people's purchasing decision considering they barely acknowledged it and didn't even show a single screenshot until release.

The people who wanted an XBO for Titanfall had already purchased an XBO for Titanfall. Everyone else who wanted Titanfall who had not purchased an XBO by March had already resigned themselves to getting it on PC or 360.

Guevara

What is everyone playing on these PS4's? I'm looking hard for a reason to jump into next gen and I haven't seen one yet.

That's the beauty of the PS4 (and was also the killer feature of the PS1 and PS2): No one game is the system seller. You would get literally dozens of answers.

Top Bottom