• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Papacheeks

Banned
Hmm but weren't some of the original 21 countries that didn't make it into the 13, countries that official languages were already being supported by XB1 in other countries?

Sweden or Switzerland I think is an example of one

Plus isn't New Zealand missing certain voice commands like "Xbox On"?

I'm not sure but what I do know is that they are releasing in Japan in July and 26 other countries in September, I'm gonna put 2 and 2 together and say, yes they had issues with those countries for Localization.

Especially since they officially said so back in August.

"Microsoft’s Xbox One console was originally supposed to launch in 21 countries in November, but the company delayed the launch for eight European markets at the time citing localization issues."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5521622/xbox-one-launch-26-new-countries-september-2014

And here is them admitting to the issues bringing their Console to different country's with Language barriers:

"One of the biggest challenges with the launch of Xbox One has been making it compatible with the many different countries it will be released in. Differences in language and cultural standards is a huge hurdle for developing a console that has as many ambitious features as the Xbox One.1P

According to Penello, these challenges appear to be why Microsoft has not set a specific release date for Japan yet. "We will announce [the release] when we have more high confidence," Penello explained. "So we don't get into some of the challenges we've had with this launch."

http://kotaku.com/dont-worry-japan-microsoft-is-still-into-you-1353115652

Those on top of the other's people have posted with the price, inferrior hardware, Kinect, and bad PR from last year are what is keeping MS from being in the position Playstation is in right now.

yeah but by how much? if its 100k its worthless. but 500k + would be something.

We have this

Overall software sales at retail for XboxOne are over 10% higher than they are on PS4.

But I assume that's LTD in the US, I think it would be hard to determine how much more XB1 sold software wise than PS4 this month due to the multiplats selling better on PS4 generally

I would think with the numbers TF posted [~1.05 - 1.1M XB1] versus something like ISS which was 440k < ISS < 500k, XB1 software handily outsold PS4 this month at retail [and probably digitally too I think]

if we're including all platforms, I'm pretty sure it has to be 360's 2.7 million

Hmm we got total X360 software sales for the month?

I'm not sure but what I do know is that they are releasing in Japan in July and 26 other countries in September, I'm gonna put 2 and 2 together and say, yes they had issues with those countries for Localization.

Especially since they officially said so back in August.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5521622/xbox-one-launch-26-new-countries-september-2014

And here is them admitting to the issues bringing their Console to different country's with Language barriers:

http://kotaku.com/dont-worry-japan-microsoft-is-still-into-you-1353115652

Those on top of the other's people have posted with the price, inferrior hardware, Kinect, and bad PR from last year are what is keeping MS from being in the position Playstation is in right now.

I am well aware of the offical PR reasons given out for the contraction from 21 to 13 regions for XB1's launch but I provided a clear example that flies in the face of MS's official PR on it so I don't know what you want me to say

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
yeah but by how much? if its 100k its worthless. but 500k + would be something.

If we place Titanfall and Infamous on the exclusive side we have to subtract 500k from Sony's and 1m from Microsoft's total software sales. If, even with a 500k disadvantage, Xbox comes first it is truely impressive.

We have this

But I assume that's LTD in the US, I think it would be hard to determine how much more XB1 sold software wise than PS4 this month due to the multiplats selling better on PS4 generally

I would think with the numbers TF posted [~1.05 - 1.1M XB1] versus something like ISS which was 440k < ISS < 500k, XB1 software handily outsold PS4 this month at retail [and probably digitally too I think]

I am well aware of the offical PR reasons given out for the contraction from 21 to 13 regions for XB1's launch but I provided a clear example that flies in the face of MS's official PR on it so I don't know what you want me to say

Microsoft PR:

"With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold the most games across all console platforms with 4.1 million games sold. Xbox One sold 1.4 million games in March and Xbox 360 sold 2.7 million, totaling 49 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined). "

Nice for Xbox, seems to be catching up with TF. Also have 1 million TF sales which is amazing for a brand new IP.

Hmm before I respond with counterpoints, I'll ask if you could clarify what you mean by the bolded?

Microsoft PR:

"With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold the most games across all console platforms with 4.1 million games sold. Xbox One sold 1.4 million games in March and Xbox 360 sold 2.7 million, totaling 49 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined). "

Ah I had um forgotten about that. Let's just ignore what I said and carry on :p

So probably X360 >XB1, XB1 > PS4. Wonder how software on PS3 did

Also less than 350k software sales on XB1 in March outside of TF, that's interesting

Or put another way TF was 75% of XB1 software sales in March, other 3rd party games have to be less than 25% of XB1's March software sales [especially considering the 1st party games have to sell too]

Codeblew

Correct me if wrong, but don't companies that provides the consoles to retailers lose money the longer that they have consoles in stock?

It is money tied up that could be gaining interest or being used to buy products that move off the shelf faster. Plus, it takes up space in the stockroom at the stores and storage in the warehouses.

weeeeezy

Banned
Microsoft PR:

So Xbox had almost 50% of the software sales last month? That's insane. That with Sonys console sales pretty much prove console gaming is not dying down.

Papacheeks

Banned
We have this

No man your good. Don't take my reponse the wrong way I was just saying I don't know 100%, I'm just saying that the evidence has been out there, and that the Original post from Time Magazine failed to even acknowledge it.

Your good, you seem to understand what I'm laying down, I 'm just saying I am not 100% sure on all of it, that's why I couldn't really answer your question.

We good!

jelly

Xbox One has some problems.

1. Price - Can be overcome with price cuts.
2. Power - I think price fixes this at some point. People just won't care.
3. Pay wall for apps - People are wise to this now and know it's bad. The console is instantly unappealing because of it. Don't change this, they have one arm tied behind their back,
4. Games - Easily overcome.
5. Kinect - There is no major compelling reason to have this packed in. Sold separately for Fitness, Dance, party games, voice control, only option of automatic sign in, yeah absolutely, Those are not enough to make it standard and it's useless for core gaming, release a SKU without it and sell it separately. No, I don't believe for one second Kinect being standard means it gets more attention, limited is limited whatever way you slice it.

E3 2014, they could fix all five of those problems. Will they ?

No man your good. Don't take my reponse the wrong way I was just saying I don't know 100%, I'm just saying that the evidence has been out there, and that the Original post from Time Magazine failed to even acknowledge it.

Your good, you seem to understand what I'm laying down, I 'm just saying I am not 100% sure on all of it, that's why I couldn't really answer your question.

We good!

No worries bud :)

I just dislike not answering people and felt I missed what we were discussing

weeeeezy

Banned
Hmm before I respond with counterpoints, I'll ask if you could clarify what you mean by the bolded?
Basically TF gave a boost for Xbox sales. Some may disagree but I think MS would have had a terrible month if TF wasn't out. When I say catch up, I mean to the competition (Sony). Of course it's a long (really long) uphill battle for them but this is a step in the right direction.

3. Pay wall for apps - People are wise to this now and know it's bad. The console is instantly unappealing because of it. Don't change this, they have one arm tied behind their back,
5. Kinect - There is no major compelling reason to have this packed in. Sold separately for Fitness, Dance, party games, voice control, only option of automatic sign in, yeah absolutely, Those are not enough to make it standard and it's useless for core gaming, release a SKU without it and sell it separately. No, I don't believe for one second Kinect being standard means it gets more attention, limited is limited whatever way you slice it.

6: Complete obliteration of good will. People to this day still think it doesn't play used games, OR don't trust they won't re-enable that policy. You can't fix that in a single E3.

Basically TF gave a boost for Xbox sales. Some may disagree but I think MS would have had a terrible month if TF wasn't out. When I say catch up, I mean to the competition (Sony). Of course it's a long (really long) uphill battle for them but this is a step in the right direction.

Hmm to start with you are certainly correct that it is almost entirely assured MS would've had a terrible month if TF wasn't out [or even perhaps if TF was on Sony platforms as well] however if you take into account that March was 5 weeks of tracking versus the 4 weeks in February [I prefer to use days of tracking but whatever] then XB1 sold less per week [or per day] in March then they did in February. Now apparently it's usual for sales to soften for March compared to February but considering how important TF seemed to be for MS's first half of 2014, I have to assume March numbers are disappointing to MS.

The real test will be April numbers as both XB1 and PS4 will likely be down from March numbers [unless April is normally higher than March?] and as such we can see how demand is for both consoles after TF

pixlexic

Banned

I think everyone would agree with that The problem is people were expecting it to push it over the ps4 not come a tad under being even.

but software sales do show that software is what is pushing the xbone.

Phades

Guys, can we please stop trumpeting this?

1) the 360 was severely supply constrained for months after release. the xbone was not.
2) last-gen lasted for 8 years. the PS2 gen lasted for 5 years. Gamers were very anxious to upgrade this time around.
3) when you remove the launch/holiday numbers (aka 2013) from xbone, it's 2014 numbers right now aren't great. Not Wii U bad, but not much better. 2013 just showed there were ~3M 360 owners who were tired of last-gen and dying to get their hands on a new generation xbox. 2014 is showing us that once those gamers got their systems, the market for xbone is much smaller than it was for 360.

Who is trumpeting anything? Was the 360 a failure? Is the Xbone floundering like the WiiU or the Vita?

The system could tank over the next few months, but realistically speaking when A+B is roughly comparable to last gen's A+B+C at the same point in time, I think things are doing reasonably well at this point all things considered. I think it would be unrealistic to expect a complete blowout in sales for any one side or to continually dwarf all previous sales (like the Wii did). It should level out and have more natural peaks and valleys going forward depending on pricing, software, potential periphrials(?), and general availability (should be less of an issue going forward).

Barring anything unseen, the PS4 will remain ahead and should continue to do well this year. The Xbone may or may not continue to do well this year. Everyone will be reflecting upon this come December.

avaya

OK - this a question for the mods. Chartz data is used by brokers + some funds, I know this since i've seen the reports on my desk citing them. The collective analysis of NeoGAF on NPD, MC and PAL charts would be valuable. Including the prediction threads. Why doesn't GAF attempt to package this up and sell it or at least market it? As a consensus estimate on performance it's valuable. With the quality of moderation here the numbers are also rarely affected by astroturfing either.

1st party studio investments
Allow more indie devs to ID@Xbox (I finally got approved!!)
Let 343 work on something new

1. If they were to invest in first party studios now (they obviously hadn't invested in any new studios besides a couple prior to Xbone 1 launch) they will not see the fruits of the investment for at least 2-4 years depending on the size of the project. How will that help them if by the time these games are even announced Sony has all their first party lineups ready to go?

2. Thats great and all but at best this puts them at parity with the PS4...and there may still be some bad blood between them and some indies (Blow for instance) while Sony has been building relationships for at LEAST a year now if not more.

3. Not going to happen, 343 was built from the ground up to be a Halo-making machine. MS will never let them make anything else as long as Halo continues to be a cash cow.

jcm

All they have to do is make a bunch of hot-selling games, marginalize the peripheral they built the entire console around, and eat a billion dollars? No problem.

OK - this a question for the mods. Chartz data is used by brokers + some funds, I know this since i've seen the reports on my desk citing them. The collective analysis of NeoGAF on NPD, MC and PAL charts would be valuable. Including the prediction threads. Why doesn't GAF attempt to package this up and sell it or at least market it? As a consensus estimate on performance it's valuable. With the quality of moderation here the numbers are also rarely affected by astroturfing either.

That is interesting as well as a bit disappointing in a way.

I think the real problem would be trying to aggregate the neogaf analysis as it were. I always view neogaf as a stone's throw away from an unruly mob. Working together in that sense would be challenging I would imagine

quetz67

Banned
1st party studio investments
Allow more indie devs to ID@Xbox (I finally got approved!!)
Let 343 work on something new

1st party studio investments is something for the long run, they should have done that last gen

Indie games won't do much for the mass market, even if developers come to xbone finally after MS did everything to scare them away

And one studio won't save the xbox just by developing something new

Games will be a huge problem as their true first party output isn't very impressive when you take away the moneyhatted exclusives.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can you break down for me how much it would cost to port XV to the One versus how much revenue 400,000 copies would generate. And then can you give me your projections for what it would take to develop a brand new 3DS game or XII HD and explain why both a XII HD port AND a XV Xbox One port couldn't be done? To be perfectly clear here, my angle here is not that I think an Xbox One port is assured and is definitely the perfect business call. However, I will state plainly that I think your motivation here has less to do with your understanding of the logistics involved with the tradeoffs of Square Enix making these kinds of decisions and more with your affinity for Sony hardware. Now that I've laid that out, I'll conclude by stating that I'm not actually terribly interested in your estimates.
Q0wgJiq.gif

geordiemp

To be fair it is, MS have deep pockets and can do another dead rising three, titanfall or other game - the bigger the multiplat the more it costs them...

They approach games due in next 6-9 months and ask how much ....then decide...

So its not a such hurdle in the sense that its not hard to think of a solution, but it may be costly.

pixlexic

Banned
To be fair it is, MS have deep pockets and can do another dead rising three, titanfall or other game - the bigger the multiplat the more it costs them...

So its not a such hurdle in the sense that its not hard to think of a solution, but it may be costly.

dead rising isn't the same. MS funded the game. its the same as if they got one of their own studios to make a halo.

Moneal

1. If they were to invest in first party studios now (they obviously hadn't invested in any new studios besides a couple prior to Xbone 1 launch) they will not see the fruits of the investment for at least 2-4 years depending on the size of the project. How will that help them if by the time these games are even announced Sony has all their first party lineups ready to go?

2. Thats great and all but at best this puts them at parity with the PS4...and there may still be some bad blood between them and some indies (Blow for instance) while Sony has been building relationships for at LEAST a year now if not more.

3. Not going to happen, 343 was built from the ground up to be a Halo-making machine. MS will never let them make anything else as long as Halo continues to be a cash cow.

1. Sounds like something they should have done prior to now right?

2. That is the same thing as the first. they should have seen this coming, just look at pc indies have blown up. they thought they were going to be able to dictate things this gen and they greatly overestimated their hand.

3. 343 was build to make halo, but if 343 starts showing halo fatigue, they need to let them do something else to get the creative juices flowing over there. just like sony with ND they could force them to keep churning out uncharted every 2 years, but they let them do something different with TLoU. it helps the devs think outside the box a little.

Biker19

Banned
Can you break down for me how much it would cost to port XV to the One versus how much revenue 400,000 copies would generate. And then can you give me your projections for what it would take to develop a brand new 3DS game or XII HD and explain why both a XII HD port AND a XV Xbox One port couldn't be done? To be perfectly clear here, my angle here is not that I think an Xbox One port is assured and is definitely the perfect business call. However, I will state plainly that I think your motivation here has less to do with your understanding of the logistics involved with the tradeoffs of Square Enix making these kinds of decisions and more with your affinity for Sony hardware. Now that I've laid that out, I'll conclude by stating that I'm not actually terribly interested in your estimates.

Whoa!

FiggyCal

Banned

I don't want to keep defending their numbers, but looking at the list of companies that use chartz pro: Sony, Nielson, Bloomberg, Forbes, Square Enix...

Unless they're lying about who subscribes to their service... maybe they're not totally making their numbers up? I know they're wrong a lot and I don't personally put stock in their numbers, but I don't have a problem with the service they provide for free.

They approach games due in next 6-9 months and ask how much ....then decide...

I'm not entirely convinced MS can "moneyhat" many games going forward considering the general trends and current install bases. MS can however fund games that would otherwise not be made. So hopefully that rumored Platinum game comes to fruition

I don't want to keep defending their numbers, but looking at the list of companies that use chartz pro: Sony, Nielson, Bloomberg, Forbes, Square Enix...

Unless they're lying about who subscribes to their service... maybe they're not totally making their numbers up? I know they're wrong a lot and I don't personally put stock in their numbers, but I don't have a problem with the service they provide for free.

Chartzz doesn't exist to provide numbers to people for free. They exist to sell more "specified data" to companies and analysts. Numbers going forward are made up, but generally they tend to edit their older numbers to accuracy. I feel safe in assuming they are lying about companies that use Chartz pro

avaya

That is interesting as well as a bit disappointing in a way.

I think the real problem would be trying to aggregate the neogaf analysis as it were. I always view neogaf as a stone's throw away from an unruly mob. Working together in that sense would be challenging I would imagine

Aggregation is an issue and the realisation from the industry that GAF matters on an investor level would probably lead to more astroturfing but I firmly believe this community has shown great street smarts on calling such nonsense out, not least the mods.

Say GAF provides a monthly summary feed. Even if free all it does is raise the profile of the board. As a crowd source data point for the core gamer you will never beat this forum IMO. On a pure sales analysis POV there are ppl here that totally embarrass industry analysts.

squeenix should start a kickstarter for not putting FFXV on the xbone.
Ideally, set up two crowd funding campaigns:
- one to keep the exclusivity.
- the other to go multiplat.

Whichever one ends up with the most money gets whatever funding the other one had.

The one dollar auction applied to console wars.

From Aquamarine, earlier in the thread:

I'm assuming those are from physical sales only, via NPD.

Yes so it's worthwhile to indicate that's US only not WW as Sony's previous statement of 20.5M software and 7M hardware sales indicate a 2.93 WW tie ratio for the PS4 which I guess suggests the ROTW has higher than a 2.93 tie ratio to compensate for the USs

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't follow? Things like Dead Rising 3 and Bayonetta 2 are only beneficial/positive to gamers as they wouldn't be made otherwise without platform holders funding them

I think he's more referring to games like Plants Vs Zombies, Titanfall, Peggle 2 and the long list of games that Microsoft buys exclusivity to. Games that would have come to other consoles otherwise.

Edit: Or not. Ignore me.

I don't follow? Things like Dead Rising 3 and Bayonetta 2 are only beneficial/positive to gamers as they wouldn't be made otherwise without platform holders funding them

It was in reference to an old Bayonetta 2 thread where someone loudly insisted Nintendo was stealing games from gamers. It was not to be taken seriously, apologies for the confusion.

do you guys think MGSV Ground Zeroes was worth it from a financial perspective?

211K in JPN first week and 278K in US first month. Multiplied by $30 (2980 yen = 29 dollars) will give about 14 million in revenue between them.

Probably makes it worth it right?

I think it depends on whether it damaged the brand for enough people such that it could negatively impact sales of the next MGS game. But I get the feeling most people buying an MGS game follow gaming news enough to know what they're getting into, so that amount of revenue was probably worth it.

It was in reference to an old Bayonetta 2 thread where someone loudly insisted Nintendo was stealing games from gamers. It was not to be taken seriously, apologies for the confusion.

surely you haven't already forgotten the "Nintendo stealing our games" line

I did not spend much time in the Bayonetta 2 thread. It was uh less than enlightening so forgive my lack of insight into the reference and carry on

Top Bottom