• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

markot

Banned
Souldriver said:
Aren't those really low Super Mario Galaxy numbers, or were my expectations just wrong? I was guessing > 1 million...lol.
Its just 1 week. But I dunno >.< should have legs made for walking.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
azentium said:
Here are some of the titles released in May that did not chart in the top ten:

Iron Man 2
Lost Planet 2
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Split/Second
Backbreaker
Blur
ModNation Racers

Want to know if they beat Mario Kart Wii for the month, after that ad campaign.

DMczaf

UFC 2009 First month
4. UFC Undisputed (360) – 679.6K
5. UFC Undisputed (PS3) – 334.4K

UFC 2010 First month
4. UFC 2010 Undisputed (360) – 221.1K
5. UFC 2010 Undisputed (PS3) – 192.3K

goddam

FoneBone

That's one hell of a gap between #3 and #4.

To be honest, I'd expected more for SMG2 (700k+) -- am I nuts?

DMczaf said:
UFC 2009 First month

UFC 2010 First month

goddam
Ouch. Wonder why 360 had such a bigger drop, percentage-wise.

Peff

I was expecting worse for Alan Wake, actually, around 170.000 is not too bad, especially considering how low everything but RDR is.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
wow congrats to rdr

didnt pachter make a prediction for this month? im curious to see how it lines up.

dolemite said:
Didn't the first UFC did more on the 360 than UFC 2010 combined? Quite a drop for the series.

Yeah 600+K. But I don't know how many days are counted for each one if that would make a huge difference here. Unlikely.

Pretty disappointing and boring month overall I'd say.

Xavien

CoolTrick said:
WOW at the Nintendo #s -- not too far ahead of everyone else.

So basically it's just a slow boring month. Yawn.

Only thing interesting: SMG2's nice sales.

Yeah the wii is only selling slightly less than the HD twins combined now. ::rollseyes::

azentium said:
Here are some of the titles released in May that did not chart in the top ten:

Iron Man 2
Lost Planet 2
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Split/Second
Backbreaker
Blur
ModNation Racers

Those are some huge bombs there. Lost Planet 2? Didn't Capcom make some crazy predictions about its sales?

The Dutch Slayer said:
Thanks for posting the info!

Just wanted to make a point from the old tread:

That is such a stupid thing to say, first off NPD is not the end all be all of data, its only 60% of RETAIL sales in the USA, and their is something that is called the WORLD they sell video games there to.
Second AW took 6 years with 30 people, I'll bet this game will to just fine over time.
I do think that it could have done a lot better if RDR did not came out in the same month.
Timeing is everything these days!
I don't know how people still say this, they estimate the rest so its an estimate of all sales.

FrankT

DMczaf said:
UFC 2009 First month

UFC 2010 First month

goddam

It's a doozy no doubt about it.

Oh yea and LP1 to LP2 comparison should be interesting.

Vinci

Danish
Hey, the DS barely edged out the Wii this month. That's different.

EDIT: I'd be more excited for RDR if getting to Mexico didn't turn the game from great to putrid in less than an hour.

Kusagari

David H Wong said:
People are disappointed at Alan Wake? I thought we were laughing at the idea that it'd be in the top 10 at all...

Well people were also expecting way better results for most of these titles to begin with. Everything but RDR pretty much did bad compared to expectations. Even Galaxy 2 I expected more from.

conman

timetokill said:
Disappointing Alan Wake numbers...

But that's what you get for not having multiplayer these days :(
Highly doubt the lack of multiplayer had anything to do with it.

--It was a console exclusive on a platform whose user base prefers typical FPS/TPS fare.

--Marketing didn't do a great job telling consumers exactly what kind of game to expect (survival horror? third-person shooter? action-adventure? quirky? mainstream?)

--It was up against the RDR behemoth.

--Reviews and early consumer response suggested it was short with very little replay value.

--Brand new IP.

Good for RDR and disappointed the AW may not get the followup I so greatly desire... :(

So, when do June's numbers get released? August 1st?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
good to see Dev pedigree coupled with a giant marketing budget counts for something. take notes.

Averon

DMczaf said:
UFC 2009 First month

UFC 2010 First month

goddam

Incremental annual updates for $60 are one longer acceptable.

When Reggie said Mario galaxy 2 has sold past 900k on June 16th at the investor conference, was that north america or just USA? If so, that may mean it could win June if red dead falls and the mario legs start running.

Souldriver said:
Aren't those really low Super Mario Galaxy numbers, or were my expectations just wrong? I was guessing > 1 million...lol.

As of 2 weeks ago, SMG2 is at over 900k according to NOA.

Man, these numbers are really out of date now and we only get numbers for the top 5 :lol

What I really want are numbers for Trauma Team and Monster Hunter Tri.

gerg

The Dutch Slayer said:
Second AW took 6 years with 30 people, I'll bet this game will to just fine over time.

I don't think I've got the energy to debate your other assertions, but predicting long legs for a game like Alan Wake is unrealistic.

The Hermit

DMczaf said:
UFC 2009 First month

UFC 2010 First month

goddam

WHoa, big drop there...

Parham

Banned
Souldriver said:
The first Super Mario Galaxy sold 1.12 million in its first month. Granted, it was released during the holiday season.

Edit: Also, SMG released in the middle of November, as opposed to SMG2 which released at the very end of May.

Peff

MightyHedgehog said:
Good for RDR and disappointed the AW may not get the followup I so greatly desire... :(

So, when do June's numbers get released? August 1st?

July 8th

FrankT

SW sales for June are going to be terrible.

Peff said:

Should be the 15th with a 5 week reporting period. 2nd Thursday after the end of the reporting period which I believe is July 3rd.

kswiston

Looks like Nintendo should stick to releasing Mario games in Nov/Dec. I hope Galaxy 2 has long legs.

How did Red Dead Revolver do saleswise? Impressive series turnaround.

Wow at RDR. Alan Wake deserved more :/ Hope we'll get the numbers eventually. I hope it'll top the million worldwide so we could have a season 2.

Pooya

Jtyettis said:
It's a doozy no doubt about it.

Oh yea and LP1 to LP2 comparison should be interesting.
first LP sold 1m+ on 360 alone IIRC, LP2 probably won't reach 1/3 of that :lol .

Mrbob

Brimstone said:
So Shadowrun outsold Allan Wake despite being released much earlier in the console cycle?

Hahaha, oh wow I can't believe I just read this parallel. :lol

Time to quote tag?

Brimstone
my reputation is Shadowruined

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gamer @ Heart said:
When Reggie said Mario galaxy 2 has sold past 900k on June 16th at the investor conference, was that north america or just USA? If so, that may mean it could win June if red dead falls and the mario legs start running.

So we should expect over 500k again for next month (I'm guessing Reggie would be talking about USA).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Poor Alan Wake, from what I've heard it deserves far far better then this.

Also, will be interesting to track Galaxy 2 over the coming months.

EazyB

Banned
I don't think we'll be seeing many games released outside of the holiday sales window after this year. Can't blame them either.

conman said:
Highly doubt the lack of multiplayer had anything to do with it.

--It was a console exclusive on a platform whose user base prefers typical FPS/TPS fare.

--Marketing didn't do a great job telling consumers exactly what kind of game to expect (survival horror? third-person shooter? action-adventure? quirky? mainstream?)

--It was up against the RDR behemoth.

--Reviews and early consumer response suggested it was short with very little replay value.

--Brand new IP.

... so you don't think those two things are related? :p

Also, the reason multiplayer is put in everything is because consumers are more willing to wait on single-player only games since they're not "missing out" on playing multiplayer with their friends during the release window.

Top Bottom