• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

Averon

Also, Sony needs to just kill off the PSP now. A "hip" new ad campaign with an annoying kid at the center of it isn't going to do squat.

azentium said:
The first Super Mario Galaxy sold 1.12 million in its first month. Granted, it was released during the holiday season.
Ok. Puts things in perspective. I thought the original one did like 1.6 million or so in its first (holiday) month.

Seeing it did about half the number of the first game in a slow month compared to the best month(s), I think the numbers don't look so bad after all. Still hoping it has amazing legs though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lost Planet 2 took everything good about the first and poo'd on it. And there wasn't much good about the first to begin with!

:) Good for RDR, I haven't had the money to get it yet, but it seems like a solid game. I wanted it to do good.

Everything else :/ Meh sales. Slow month is slow.

Dabanton

Shame about AW lets hope MS keeps with Remedy and gets a sequel of sorts out. They have the engine in place now it would be a shame to waste all that work.

Looking forward to the DLC episodes.

mittelos

MirageDwarf said:
Alan Wake making it in top 10 is surprising. Most of us thought it bombed real hard.
Yeah, after not seeing it in the weekly Live top-20, I was prepared for the worst; at this point I'm happy to see it crack the top-10. Granted, that's revising expectations from pre-release.

I'm getting bad vibes from MS regarding a sequel. They decided not to put their full marketing effort on it for whatever reason, which I'm afraid may foreshadow their long-term intent. Really, really hope I'm wrong. One of my favorite games this gen.

Busaiku

Galaxy 2 is having great legs, given Nintendo's figures during E3.
I expect next month to be bigger than this month.

Peff

Well, Remedy said they wanted the game to sell a couple of millions, but that was a bit unrealistic to begin with. Maybe it can crawl to better numbers eventually, with bundles and the like.

FrankT

Peff said:
Oh, that is better, methinks. Maybe we will get to see the Slim effect, if there is any :D

Yea should include about ~2 and half weeks of sales. Plus they dropped the price on the current stock as well fyi.

Barrett2

SapientWolf said:
Blur and Split/Second probably canceled each other out.

True. I guess they had their reasons, but launching three arcade racers within a two week window has got to be mutually assured suicide for their respective sales numbers.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hellsing321 said:
Wow @ PSP
hesdeadjim.jpg
ONLY MARCUS CAN SAVE US NOW

PS9a55b527fb914cde8f9890c2506700b2.jpg

MARCUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

[Nintex]

"Remedy is now hard at work on exciting new experiences for KINECT!"

"Our logo has been rebranded by focus testers, after all we're really aiming for the hardcore tween alpha mom now!"

timetokill said:
... so you don't think those two things are related? :p

Also, the reason multiplayer is put in everything is because consumers are more willing to wait on single-player only games since they're not "missing out" on playing multiplayer with their friends during the release window.
Alan Wake 2 co-op with Wishbone.

VALIS

Alan Wake numbers are disappointing, but Blur is a much bigger disappointment than AW. How does a heavily advertised, well reviewed, multiplatform game about cars blowing each other up not even sell even, what, 80K? Goddamn. Game sales definitely in a major slump right now.

interesting that none of the arcade racers charted. I guess they cannibalized at each others' sales. Hopefully, next time some one will realize its stupid to release all of the racers in the same damn month and delay the game to optimize load times

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
VALIS said:
Alan Wake numbers are disappointing, but Blur is a much bigger disappointment than AW. How does a heavily advertised, well reviewed, multiplatform game about cars blowing each other up not even sell even, what, 80K? Goddamn. Game sales definitely in a major slump right now.
I imagine that people got burnt out on the beta. I sure did. And yeah, there were a lot of games fighting for the arcade racer pie, in a down economy no less.

Prine

Banned
mittelos said:
Yeah, after not seeing it in the weekly Live top-20, I was prepared for the worst; at this point I'm happy to see it crack the top-10. Granted, that's revising expectations from pre-release.

I'm getting bad vibes from MS regarding a sequel. They decided not to put their full marketing effort on it for whatever reason, which I'm afraid may foreshadow their long-term intent. Really, really hope I'm wrong. One of my favorite games this gen.

I this is true, screw MS. Because im also thinking the same, given what we know.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Mrbob said:
Hahaha, oh wow I can't believe I just read this parallel. :lol

Time to quote tag?

Brimstone
my reputation is Shadowruined

I don't keep exact tabs on NPD data but if I recall correctly.

Shadowrun > Banjo Kazooie *Banjo released a year later & at a lower price*
Shadowrun > Too Human *Released a year later*
Shadowrun > Allan Wake *Released two years later*

Opiate

Most interesting details of this NPD are:

1) Red Dead Redemption did very well. This is far beyond the sales of Red Dead Revolver, is it not?

2) The 360 is the leading revenue generator of all current gen consoles both in this month and in this year. This is after 2009, where the Wii took the lead: that means the 360 had the lead, lost to the Wii, and then took it back. While the 360 is currently a system in decline worldwide, it is holding steady in the US while the Wii has fallen off significantly.

Averon said:
Also, Sony needs to just kill off the PSP now. A "hip" new ad campaign with an annoying kid at the center of it isn't going to do squat.

When your profitable product is only selling 58K units a month its time to kill it off?! Does not make sense!

Split Second better be > Blur, guess its in the top 20 somewhere

The analysts overshot DS

[Nintex]

VALIS said:
I wonder what a COD game from Bizarre Creations would be like.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:
EDIT: I'd be more excited for RDR if getting to Mexico didn't turn the game from great to putrid in less than an hour.

Hm? I haven't played the game (only watched a friend play it... Hated the cutscenes and characters, but other than that, no opinion). Could you tell me what's wrong with the game once you reach that point?

PSP looking good.

KingDizzi

Banned
MY GOD the racers the RACERS!

This is very depressing, they did not even do well in Europe. Unless you're Forza, Mario Kart, NFS or GT just don't bother. Racing games don't do well in NA these days besides Mario Kart, GT5 will do well to pass 2 million lifetime which is extremely depressing. :(
Will sell well in EU though :)

Parham

Banned
Opiate said:
Most interesting details of this NPD are:

1) Red Dead Redemption did very well. This is far beyond the sales of Red Dead Revolver, is it not?

Yes.

"Red Dead Redemption was the best-selling game for the month, achieving sales of 1.5 million units across both platforms. The game garnered spectacular review scores and in its first month at retail it has exceeded the lifetime sales of its predecessor, Red Dead Revolver, which was released in May 2004."

Kusagari

VALIS said:

It's what happens when you release at the same time as 2 other racing games in a similar vein. I have no idea what the companies releasing Split/Second, Blur, and Modnation Racers were thinking.

Mush

VALIS said:
That other shitty racing game Split/Second got in it's way. :(

A great fucking shame.

Top Bottom