• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

While you all decipher Creams new post

Comparing January - May 2014 to January - May 2015

XBO is up 10%

PS4 is down 8%

Wii U is up 6%

Clear winner so far is Xbox.

Kinda weird considering that PS4 has had the software advantage all spring, and X1 has not had a lot of AAA stuff, but I guess that it just proves that price speaks louder than games in most cases....

While you all decipher Creams new post

Comparing January - May 2014 to January - May 2015

XBO is up 10%

PS4 is down 8%

Wii U is up 6%

Clear winner so far is Xbox.

Don't see how...sony has stayed steadfast at launch price and is still outselling them, MS had to make a lot of moves sony has not. Sony now has more cards t play.

Overall, hardware sales seem pretty disappointing, but it's to be expected I guess. The PS4 drop seems normal but the XB1 drop is quite big. Goes to show how much the Gamestop trade in deal in April helped. I really hope the Batman bundle can significantly boost the PS4 sales in June.

Dat Kinectless SKU and price drop doing the work!

June is gonna see significant PS4 sales. Mark my words.

Just a reminder that Wii U sales picked up on Japan after Splatoon released, in its second week, not the first.

Not saying that this is going to happen on North America for this month, but one never knows, I hope they do pick up a little bit.

If Splatoon has word of mouth and legs, and hits the young demographic, its going to show this month and in December.

it went up the first and second week in Japan

60% PS4 on The Witcher 3, which is about 1.5x a 40% Xbox One market share.

Assuming the proportion stays constant relative to market shares outside the US and the 1.3 million number for PC, as well as putting the 15% or so digital split for consoles, we should get to around 2:1 sales.

So, about 1.8 million on PS4 and around 900k on Xbox, total worldwide? Something around there?

Yeah its for sure globally PS4 > PC > XBone

damisa

Last gen:
x360 186,600
PS3 208,700
Wii 675,100
total: 1,070,400

This gen:
Wiiu 42,500
PS4 152,000
XB1 139,000
total: 333,500

If you look at only Sony+MS it's:
395.3K last gen vs 291K this gen

Converse

Banned
Venture Beat said:
But May’s biggest surprise is probably Nintendo’s Wii U exclusive Splatoon [....] it only had two days of sales on this chart. Despite that, it was able to come in at No. 5 overall. This is impressive for a new intellectual property that is not widely available on all systems.

Sorry, Venture Beat, some salty-assed Gaffers said it's not impressive. Try again next time.

I am pressing down on the D-pad to booyah.

Do y'all think splatoon is at around 500K right now world wide including digital sales? I hope it can get to a million for its lifetime sales.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you actually bothered to read the entire quote chain rather than cherry picking, you would've realized the real point of contention was Nintendoland (aka an example of a not Mario/Zelda/Smash game, which was sorine's point)>Splatoon, so unless you think Splatoon will sell over 4 million my point still holds.

and HW was because the first post you quoted was clearly about HW sales, hence the thing about Xbox One/Wii U getting major boosts

The point of first link was that you made that comment in the same sarcastic manner that you make most of your comments and that I think you were considering Splatoon at that time something like W101, that why you even use it. But I'm probably wrong and you were really seriously considering Splatoon as a good seller, so I will edit out the first link.

Now you can bother reading the other 2 links too. And I will stop here, because I feel like it's going off-topic.

Last gen:
x360 186,600
PS3 208,700
Wii 675,100

This gen:
Wiiu 42,500
PS4 152,000
XB1 139,000

This gen opened bigger but is slowing faster. PS4 at the least needs a substantial price cut. Honestly $100 if they want to try to continue the great momentum it started with

This gen opened bigger but is slowing faster. PS4 at the keast needs a substantial price cut. Honestly $100 if they want to try to continue the great momentum it started with

Thats is how it is supposed to work..had ps3 and 360 launched with much bigger numbered they would have slowed faster too, people need to look at the big picture..By the time ps3 hit 20 Mill WW it had several price reductions and so did 360..

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Do y'all think splatoon is at around 500K right now including digital sales? I hope it can get to a million for its lifetime sales.

1 million + is a given.

We have 215k in Japan (week 2) + digital sales exceeding at minimum 45k

It should end in late June with 400-450k in Japan.

The rest is up for the remaining territories.

Should be quite manageable.

Hero

Last gen:
x360 186,600
PS3 208,700
Wii 675,100

This gen:
Wiiu 42,500

XB1 139,000

Hopefully this helps to show people that there is a serious contract going on this generation even if we discount Nintendo entirely.

sörine

Banned
Last gen:
x360 186,600
PS3 208,700
Wii 675,100

This gen:
Wiiu 42,500
PS4 152,000
XB1 139,000

Looks like handhelds aren't the only fucked market. Proponents can't even 360/PS3 vs PS4/One anymore really, and that'll get even more lopsided as last gen's HD twins were slow burners.

maxiell

Witcher 3 had a digital discount for pre-orders on PS4 since last year. Wonder how much that hurt retail.

I think Microsoft could be pushing Halo more with a second, more open beta. Giving out tons of beta codes would be a cheap way to push hardware. Could even be a single player mission.

Aceofspades

Banned
60% PS4 on The Witcher 3, which is about 1.5x a 40% Xbox One market share.

Assuming the proportion stays constant relative to market shares outside the US and the 1.3 million number for PC, as well as putting the 15% or so digital split for consoles, we should get to around 2:1 sales.

So, about 1.8 million on PS4 and around 900k on Xbox, total worldwide? Something around there?

Holy smokes, PS4 version is doing excellent numbers. Wow

Banned
If there was ever s time to drop the price of the Wii U and bundle a game or two, it would be now. Nothing ridiculous like $99 or getting rid of the gamepad. But asking $299 for it when for just $50 you can get an Xbox One is asking too much. $250 for a bundle.

Sorry, Venture Beat, some salty-assed Gaffers said it's not impressive. Try again next time.

I am pressing down on the D-pad to booyah.

Who really cares what Venture beat has to think about it, the sales were thoroughly okay.

Sales for the entire industry across the board for the month ranged from ok to awful besides The Witcher.

Hopefully this helps to show people that there is a serious contract going on this generation even if we discount Nintendo entirely.

How so when they are way ahead of last gen in sales? That makes no sense....Price drops and software will spurn bigger numbers again, had ps3 and 360 sold so well at launch they would also have slowed quicker..

Top Bottom