• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Windforce

Why are ppl buying bone over PS4? Is it significantly cheaper to justify any power differences.

X1 has bunch of bundles and deals and pricecuts. Sony sits on its ass with PS4 at 399 and just a bundled game here and there. It kinda annoys me Sony isn't trying hard to slay this gen once and for all.

vin-buc

It's also time for a big 360/PS3 price cut followed by One/4. Although as other posters said - Sony going to milk this 4 yards in sales for as long as possible.

It's wild to see PS4 top the One in every multiplatform only being skipped by the..... 360.

X1 has bunch of bundles and deals and pricecuts. Sony sits on its ass with PS4 at 399 and just a bundled game here and there. It kinda annoys me Sony isn't trying hard to slay this gen once and for all.

They are a business... they don't care about winning bragging rights on game forums.

ethomaz

Banned
60% PS4 on The Witcher 3, which is about 1.5x a 40% Xbox One market share.

Assuming the proportion stays constant relative to market shares outside the US and the 1.3 million number for PC, as well as putting the 15% or so digital split for consoles, we should get to around 2:1 sales.

So, about 1.8 million on PS4 and around 900k on Xbox, total worldwide? Something around there?
I do thing the proportion is even worst for Xbone outside US/UK.

PS4: 2m
Xbone: 700k

Javin98

Banned
This US=World mentality is fucking annoying. Yes, the XB1 may be close to the PS4 in sales in the US and UK, but in ROTW, the PS4 is absolutely destroying the XB1 in sales. Only a fool would compete as hard as Microsoft in its home country.

vin-buc

Sony is happy to be making once and for all, maybe?

sörine;167458815 said:
Looks like handhelds aren't the only fucked market. Proponents can't even 360/PS3 vs PS4/One anymore really, and that'll get even more lopsided as last gen's HD twins were slow burners.

PS4 sales first 18 months: 23 million
PS3 sales first 18 months: 12 million

360 sales first 18 months: 12.5 million
X1 sales first 18 months: 9 million

Both are completely screwed.

Exactly, this the sky is falling mentality over cherry picking a few choice weaker months is asinine.....Sales will pick up again price drops are needed now.

Boke1879

They are a business... they don't care about winning bragging rights on game forums.

Exactly lol. They are making money on the PS4, software, and Plus subs.

I'm sure they are looking at the market and what to do for the future. But they know these months are slow. No need to price drop. Especially with a popular bundle releasing. They'll get people to buy at $399 in the short term future but I expect a price drop later this year.

Those Wii U hardware numbers are abysmal. Good lord. Worse than I thought they would be.

If we don't get a new console next year from Nintendo, I'll be shocked.

Converse

Banned
Who really cares what Venture beat has to think about it, the sales were thoroughly okay.

Sales for the entire industry across the board for the month ranged from ok to awful besides The Witcher.

The reasons for Splatoon's chart position being impressive have been repeated ad nauseam, and I'm sure you've read them. No one is debating that the industry as a whole isn't in stellar shape. At this point, you're just being weird about it.

Yeah the industry is by no means "screwed", at least not right now.

That said these consoles are stagnating. We need the big boys like exclusive Halo, exclusive Uncharted, etc to start hitting.

Luckily with stuff like Battlefront, Batman, Halo 5, Fallout 4 etc hitting soon hopefully that can bring them out of the stall they seem to be settling in

The reasons for Splatoon's chart position being impressive have been repeated ad nauseam, and I'm sure you've read them. No one is debating that the industry as a whole isn't in stellar shape. At this point, you're just being weird about it.

I'm the one being weird about it when you said anyone who didn't agree Splatoon is impressive for doing 136k units is a "salty ass GAFFER"

Ok

thefro

Just a reminder that Wii U sales picked up on Japan after Splatoon released, in its second week, not the first.

Not saying that this is going to happen on North America for this month, but one never knows, I hope they do pick up a little bit.

If Splatoon has word of mouth and legs, and hits the young demographic, its going to show this month and in December.

Any impact on Wii U HW sales will be a slower burn, since the US marketing campaign targets kids and existing Nintendo fans. Word of mouth takes some time to kick in.

The game itself will be fine and have long legs at retail. I think we'll see > 1 million in the US alone at this point.

These companies don't care about a "console war". LOL
They care about making a profit & that's it.
Last gen the Wii was clobbering the PS3 & 360 yet they didn't overreact to try and "beat" the Wii.

It could go both ways. What you see as "Sony isn't trying hard to slay this gen" can just as easily be interpreted as "playing it safe and slowly building more momentum for later in the gen". Sony is outselling both of its competitors by a landslide without having to pull out the big guns. Why not ride that wave? Why rush things?

AniHawk

man what a crappy month. i think june will be far better for being five weeks long and having price drops and bundles. but then it's the july + august sadness before things start ramping up again in september.

but man what a crappy month.

2nd mays:
ps2: 288k (2002)
xbox: 123k (2003)
gc: 84k (2003)
gba: 402k (2003)

360: 155k (2007)
wii: 675k (2008)
ps3: 208k (2008)
ds: 145kk (2006)
psp: 159k (2006)

ps4: 154k (2015)
xb1: 139k (2015)
wii u: 61k (2014)
3ds: 113k (2012)
vita: 16k (2013)

sörine

Banned

We have to jump back to ltds to spin this but there's a pretty clear monthly pattern emerging here. And it's going to really turn when we get into years 3-4 when PS3 and 360 started accelerating after their relatively tepid debuts.

Even with that record launch PS4's already failed to keep pace ltd with actual market leaders too (Wii, PS2). Comparing it continually to last gen's last placer is sort of missing the wider issue.

3DS also compared favorably to DS it's first couple years. Now it's barely keeping pace with PSP. PS4 and One could very well be looking at their futures there.

Effect

I wish that Splatoon number was higher but it was just 2 to 3 days I keep telling myself. I hope it increases in the next few months.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There was the exact same discussion about Wii U HW in May 2014 thread. When again there was the data only for few days of selling MK8 and the Wii U for may was abysmal. Doom everywhere, MK no longer a system seller etc.

I'm not suggesting that Wii U will suddenly explode in June, but we already know what happened in Japan in the second week and we already know that Splatoon held up quite well even in Europe, so maybe waiting to see June results for the whole "launch" picture is not such an outrageous idea.

The game has a good buzz, it might help for legs and selling hardware even after the second day.

Yeah the industry is by no means "screwed", at least not right now.

That said these consoles are stagnating. We need the big boys like exclusive Halo, exclusive Uncharted, etc to start hitting.

Luckily with stuff like Battlefront, Batman, Halo 5, Fallout 4 etc hitting soon hopefully that can bring them out of the stall they seem to be settling in

I'm the one being weird about it when you said anyone who didn't agree Splatoon is impressive for doing 136k units is a "salty ass GAFFER"

Ok

Exactly. Almost all of the heavy hitters this winter are exclusive to 8th gen consoles. People will be forced to adopt, and since I believe the PS4 WILL have a price cut, it's gonna be nuts. Sales for both will be through the roof this holiday.

Honestly, if guys like Liam Callahan, who does this for a living, aren't concernced, we shouldn't be either. The industry doesn't need to be constantly selling more every single month to be healthy.

It's not going anywhere, guys :)

man what a crappy month. i think june will be far better for being five weeks long and having price drops and bundles. but then it's the july + august sadness before things start ramping up again in september.

but man what a crappy month.

2nd mays:
ps2: 288k (2002)
xbox: 123k (2003)
gc: 84k (2003)
gba: 402k (2003)

360: 155k (2007)
wii: 675k (2008)
ps3: 208k (2008)
ds: 145kk (2006)
psp: 159k (2006)

ps4: 154k (2015)
xb1: 139k (2015)
wii u: 61k (2014)
3ds: 113k (2012)
vita: 16k (2013)

Yeah the biggest thing that sticks out this generation is how the leading console really isn't selling at a higher volume. Nothing against the PS4, on a global scale its doing great, but for a market leader in the US its kind of underwhelming in comparison to some previous gens. For comparison for just market leader

PS4: 154k
Wii: 675k
PS2: 288k

sörine;167460035 said:
We have to jump back to ltds to spin this but there's a pretty clear monthly pattern emerging here. And it's going to really turn when we get into years 3-4 when PS3 and 360 started accelerating after their relatively tepid debuts.

Even with that record launch PS4's already failed to keep pace ltd with actual market leaders too (Wii, PS2). Comparing it continually to last gen's last placer is sort of missing the wider issue.

No way...Anything against ps2 and wiii will look worse, wii was a phenominom for 3-4 years and ps2 numbers are godly and we will never see anything like that again...Sales will go up again. there is no PAttern, 360 sold 50 mill in the US and had numerous low months of 150k and even lower.

Yeah the biggest thing that sticks out this generation is how the leading console really isn't selling at a higher volume. Nothing against the PS4, on a global scale its doing great, but for a market leader in the US its kind of underwhelming in comparison to some previous gens. For comparison for just market leader

PS4: 154k
Wii: 675k
PS2: 288k

Anything against those 2 is going to lose....doesn't really prove anything. We are only getting mainly next gen exclusives now things are going to pick up.

fernoca

Puzzle & Dragons
Show's how little Mario matters.
Then again, Mario Party 10 debuted on Wii U to higher sales than MP9 on Wii a few months ago. :p

Guess it depends on the genre as always. Plus spme 3DS games have the tendency to debut with relatively low numbers, then stay like that for some months and end doing better than expected.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Nah,smash and Mario kart were their only system sellers. Nothing else could likely do it as we've been seeing week after week month after month.

In the US yes. Smash Wii U did jack in Japan for example, whereas Splatoon is moving units of all titles lol. Europe probably just doesn't care though.

While you all decipher Creams new post

Comparing January - May 2014 to January - May 2015

XBO is up 10%

PS4 is down 8%

Wii U is up 6%

Clear winner so far is Xbox. ;p

people going "of course."

you realise this needs more context as it is relative, right?

i mean if ps4 is down 8% from a monthly of 300k total vs xbone up by 10% from a 150k total...

Converse

Banned

Ok

Well, actually, I made a joke about an article from a respected publication (featuring an NPD analyst) specifically calling the game's chart position "impressive" while a group of "salty-assed Gaffers" have been sort of comically quick to write it off.

What is weird to me is your crusade-like insistence on saying it's not impressive when many people have stated their reasons for finding it impressive.

Top Bottom