• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

But they didn't do that with Zelda. They showed it, a year and a half in advance. And again a year in advance.

And then they refused to show it. At the biggest expo of the year. The same expo in which they refuse to discuss their next system.

there is always exceptions to the rule look how long it took for us to finally get footage of SMT X fiire emblem after it was announced back in january 2013. I just cant picture nintendo letting the wii u be the only console without its own exclusive zelda game.

Tookay

there is always exceptions to the rule look how long it took for us to finally get footage of SMT X fiire emblem after it was announced back in january 2013. I just cant picture nintendo letting the wii u be the only console without its own exclusive zelda game.
I don't think they're hung up on that notion the way you are. That's what I'm trying to get at.

I don't think they're hung up on that notion the way you are. That's what I'm trying to get at.

Thats fine you can think that while i continue to believe zelda will launch on wii u november 2016 and that there next home console wont release till holiday 2017 :)

I bet they also couldn't picture Wii U being the worst-selling Nintendo console since the Virtual Boy, selling 91% of the GameCube in the first fiscal year, 47% of the GameCube in its second fiscal year, and 67% of the GameCube in its third fiscal year.

Times change. Maybe if the Wii U was more successful it could warrant its own exclusive Zelda, but not in the 8th-gen where development costs are much higher.

EGM1966

Very good Splatoon sales in context of Wii U's dire position but not enough to really change the consoles fortunes.

Slow month XB1 and PS4 sales and close again.

Staying close is aminor win for XB1 but still no signs MS can really mount a full on comeback.

Ok PS4 sales in context but they feel like they're coasting now. Time for a modest price drop IMHO - say $50 - to I've sales a proper sustained boost and likely open gap with XB1 to noticeable levels again.

Awesome for Splatoon! One of only two non-sequels in the top ten too.

Great to see CD Projekt's efforts rewarded too. They're definitely making an effort to support consoles too with quick patches, relatively speaking.

I bet they also couldn't picture Wii U being the worst-selling Nintendo console since the Virtual Boy, selling 91% of the GameCube in the first fiscal year, 47% of the GameCube in its second fiscal year, and 67% of the GameCube in its third fiscal year.

Times change. Maybe if the Wii U was more successful it could warrant its own exclusive Zelda, but not in the 8th-gen where development costs are much higher.

I stand by what i said at best NX will get a remaster for the game when it launches a year later :)

AniHawk

Very good Splatoon sales in context of Wii U's dire position but not enough to really change the consoles fortunes.

man who expects the wii u to actually have its fortune change? it's probably having its last full year in 2016 and that's when it's getting replaced.

splatoon is nintendo's ability to launch a new ip and one they can probably use to help push new platforms.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I stand by what i said at best NX will get a remaster for the game when it launches a year later :)

But NX will probably start its life as the handheld form factor, and that'll be next year, or Q1 2017 at latest, so Zelda has chances of launching on both Wii U and NX at the same time.

Halabane

"Overall retail sales are down 13% year over year.
Hardware sales were down 18% year over year.
Retail software sales were down 25% year over year."

I think this is the more interesting numbers. I don't have answers but to me its a worrying trend.

This contraction of the console revenue has been going on for awhile now (chart). For consoles, 2014 is the probably the worst year ever. Even the release years of new consoles did not spike sales like it had in the past. I can see why companies would leave the industry, like Konami, to pursue work in stronger markets. More have/will follow. I don't see what fixes this. I don't think VR will.

I just wonder if its just because of lack of exclusives so you only buy one consoles or are gamers leaving the hobby? Or?

From Famitsu:
famitsu-market-20141osea.png

Granted this is Japan only but it still shows the trend. I could not find US or EUR data I was confident was correct. By the way the 300M back in 87 is over 600M today. Chart does not include inflation.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Price cuts are iffy. What Nintendo as a company don't want, because they can't absorb it, is to price cut a console so that it's at a loss and then have it take off. It happened before and led to them having the first of 3 years of financial loss. The 3DS needed a price cut, but they lopped too much off and made it very enticing. It took off like mad, with 11 million units sold in the 6 months following the price cut, but with it all at a loss. That is quite damaging to a company that, unlike Microsoft and Sony, doesn't have any additional divisions to temporarily absorb any considerable loss.

Everything else though, I agree :)

I do think the 3DS really needed that boost though. There's a reason it's on track to be around 2nd all-time for hardware in Japan for example.

zDxv5cA.png

"Splatoon sold 136,000 units in North America."

The 136K figure is for the USA only. Not North America.

"this leaker stated that the Wii U sold 42,000 in May."

42K is a calculated estimate, not a precise number.

"Obviously, this does not include digital sales in the country."

This is from NPD's physical retail report of new games. So it doesn't include used game sales either.

"Splatoon failed to make any sort of large sales traction on the hardware side."

Yeah, because it was only out for two days.

Jesus Christ. What a horrible article.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If things keep going like this, we could need a PS4 v.s. PSP chart, not just 3DS v.s. PSP. Heck, PS4 did less than what PSP sold back in 2006, not even considering 2008 (legitimately a good year for the platform). Next month should represent an exception, though, Batman is coming.

And again, we need the most updated Wii U only All-Time US Chart to be posted to understand if Splatoon really sold that well on eShop. We just have that it was higher than all Humble Bundle games on June 3rd already...which could actually be an indication of sorts. You see, current eShop charts count the sales for each title for the latest two weeks. So, for example, if Splatoon was the best selling title on the eShop on June 3rd, it doesn't mean it's just selling better than what the other titles are doing now, but that its sales are better than what those titles sold between May 20th and June 3rd, so that would take account of all Humble Bundle sales (or at least, all the codes being used) up to June 3rd. Still, we definitely need to see the All-Time Charts to get a confirmation on this matter.

$299 would be amazing. Not sure if Sony has the balls to do it.
I fear it might only be a price cut to $349 (meh!).

Cut to 349 is not worth and wont see big spike in sales, so its better to do 299 or keep price at 399 by bundling many games instead until they wish to drop to 299(may be when morpheus launches).

Cut to 349 is not worth and wont see big spike in sales, so its better to do 299 or keep price at 399 by bundling many games instead until they wish to drop to 299(may be when morpheus launches).

Agree. But I can see them cutting the price to $329. But yeah, $299 would be perfect.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yep, I completely agree.

$349 would see a a bit of a boost but the size of the boost wouldn't be worth it. Sales would more than likely be similar.
$299 would be huge though.

If you are going to cut the price then you might as well cut it to the point in which it will actually be really effective. If not then you should just stay at the same price; Lower sales but at least Sony would still get many people paying $399 for the system.

Crema

The thing about Nintendo is that they're a lot less reliant on hardware and software sales as Sony and MS. A diversified revenue stream from Amiibos, licensing and future initiatives like that upcoming themepark should keep them in the black despite the tragic wii u sales.

I think you meant a lot more reliant than Sony and Microsoft, but yes, it's good to see them diversifying a little. Really need some big success in mobile coming up.

wachie

It worked a little bit, because they had cut the price from $499 to $349.
= $150
Not really. They introduced Kinect-less SKU at 399 and dropped it down to 349. It worked wonders in the holiday season, doubt they would win Nov/Dec at 399. It also nearly doubled from Jan -> Feb.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Splaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatooooooooon

please become an established franchise

AniHawk

Splaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatooooooooon

please become an established franchise

it's been ten years since chibi-robo came out and that's somehow still getting new installments. splatoon's probably got this locked down.

How long after PS2 launch till its first price drop?

it dropped by $100 in its second may, which would be the ps4's second june comparatively (next month) going by us sales only. if you factor in that the platform had been out six months prior to that (meaning there was longer time for the components to come down in price), it is basically the ps4's december 2015.

for what it's worth, i think there will be price drops to $300 for the holiday season, and that coupled with 2016's insane lineup (2016 is part of 1998's divine lineage after all) will propel both xb1 and ps4 to their best years on the market, and then things will slowly start coming down.

NotLiquid

"Worldwide" Splatoon retail sales:

Japan - 238,374 (2 weeks of tracking)
US - 136,000 (1 week of tracking)
UK - Between 23,300 and 35,900 (2 week of tracking)
France - 24,000 (1 week of tracking)

Total > 421,674

If we include other European markets (Germany, Italy, Spain), Canada, Oceania and digital sales, then the current total number should be around 550,000 - 600,000. There is no doubt shipments will comfortably exceed 1 million units by June 30 which is when the first quarter of the fiscal year ends.

Yeah, this sounds like a reasonable estimate. There's no doubt in my mind that Splatoon at this point is a proven success for Nintendo. Wouldn't surprise me if there's already a sequel being greenlit for the next console.

wachie

If Sony drops to 349 by this holiday season, then Microsoft will go for 299 firesales even with a stronger holiday line-up. They wont relent in their "prime-time" period.

Next month should represent an exception, though, Batman is coming.

June sales will be abnormally high, because Batman is coming!

Maybe May sales were at least partly flat because... Batman is coming! With his bundles and special edition console?

Is the glass half empty or is it half full? Or has the reign of the glass come to an end, people just don't drink from glasses anymore...

Not really. They introduced Kinect-less SKU at 399 and dropped it down to 349. It worked wonders in the holiday season, doubt they would win Nov/Dec at 399. It also nearly doubled from Jan -> Feb.

Um no Xbox One was essentially selling for much less than $349 during the holidays when you add up all the crazy promotions they had going on.

And what is Sony go 299?

Yes why?

MS released the 1tb bundle and on amazon it failed to chart higher than the PS4 standard Arkham bundle. Despite the increase in HD space and the MCC included. Why? My guess is because the consumer just doesn't perceive the $399 price point for any XB console as justified. And so MS quickly reduced the 1tb price back to $350 via their official site with a promo.

I believe the PS4 will see a price drop of $50. They have no reason to go lower than that. MS will firesale as soon as they can and Greenberg will post picks again about the stack of PS4's. But my honest assessment is that Holiday 2015 the gap will be a lot closer.

XB started a Halo 5 tv advertising campaign back in march, here in the UK. It hasn't stopped since which tells me whatever numbers MS are looking at doesn't give them a lot of confidence. If their biggest ip needs a tv add campaign this early.

It worked for Microsoft.

Worked? Still PS4 outselling it with high price. It worked only for Holidays when they had fire sales where many people can get it for as low as $280 with games bundled. Their price cut just gave them from worst sales to ok sales on average but not able to outperform PS4 even with lower price and two games bundled.

If Sony drops to 349 by this holiday season, then Microsoft will go for 299 firesales even with a stronger holiday line-up. They wont relent in their "prime-time" period.

This is why i think sony not to go for 349 so MS can counter again with 299. If sony go with 299 then MS will have to lose a lot of money if they dare to go for 249 which is mostly not going to happen, so Sony can dominate.

wachie

Um no Xbox One was essentially selling for much less than $349 during the holidays when you add up all the crazy promotions they had going on.
Yes, I know. I bought one myself.

Point was if it was 330 instead of 280, I doubt it would win those months.

$50 is still significant. Enough to offer value to consumers/market and enough not to rock your bottom line too much. Besides, I think managing a $50 price-cut would be easier (smooth out) across regions than say a $100 price-cut.
Worked? Still PS4 outselling it with high price. It worked only for Holidays when they had fire sales where many people can get it for as low as $280 with games bundled. Their price cut just gave them from worst sales to ok sales on average but not able to outperform PS4 even with lower price and two games bundled.
Worked in the sense, it boosted sales, see above.

If Sony drops the price by $50 and Microsoft doesnt, then I would think Sony winning both months.

eerik9000

GAF, I haven't followed the NPD threads too closely in the last few months. Is the consensus that Xbox One won in April largely thanks to some sort of Gamestop trade-in deal? Or what else happened in that month?

Yes, I know. I bought one myself.

Point was if it was 330 instead of 280, I doubt it would win those months.

$50 is still significant. Enough to offer value to consumers/market and enough not to rock your bottom line too much. Besides, I think managing a $50 price-cut would be easier (smooth out) across regions than say a $100 price-cut.

Worked in the sense, it boosted sales, see above.

If Sony drops the price by $50 and Microsoft doesnt, then I would think Sony winning both months.

It worked by getting them out of terrible sales to ok but for Sony they dont have issues like that as they are doing ok every month even at 399 and can easily outperform XB1 because of 3rd party deals (even holidays too if XB1 did not do 299 fire sale again). The intention of price cut is to boost sales by huge margin but not sell little more and not giving MS a chance as they can easily counter this $50 cut but they can't $100 without losing a lot of money.

Ty4on

GAF, I haven't followed the NPD threads too closely in the last few months. Is the consensus that Xbox One won in April largely thanks to some sort of Gamestop trade-in deal? Or what else happened in that month?

Yup
I thought this might be of interest, since it demonstrates the power of a hardware promotion.
Tony Bartel said:
We remain focused on being the premier videogame destination, and we drove 360 basis points of total videogame market share growth during the quarter. We increased our Xbox One and PS4 software share by 420 basis points to 54%, and our new gen hardware share by 260 basis points to 38.5%.

On a combined basis, GameStop sold 46% of all Xbox One and PS4 hardware and software combined during the quarter, up 610 basis points from last year. We continue to gain share in a new cycle that is significantly outpacing previous launches.

The month of April was even more impressive than the quarter, as we captured 47.6% of all software sold. We sold 57% of all Xbox One and PS4 software during the month and nearly half of all the new gen hardware and software combined.

A promotion that we recently ran shows the power of our unique value proposition. During the month of April, we partnered with Microsoft to run a promotion where customers could buy a new Xbox One console for $275 with the trade in of either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 console. We nearly doubled our Xbox One market share during the month, but more importantly, GameStop drove two-thirds of the 63% industry growth that Xbox One experienced during the month. We are providing unprecedented value that is fueling this cycle's growth.
My emphasis. The whole transcript is interesting. Go read it over at Seeking Alpha.

He's saying that the lowest point of entry for XB went from $500 at launch to $350 now. A significant $150 drop. Doesn't matter how they got there, customers can now jump in at that lower $350 price point.

If Sony really wants to boost sales, they will probably need a similar significant price drop from $400 to $300. Bundling old exclusives or newer multiplat games, or a $50 drop might not make much of a difference long term.

Top Bottom