• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Ashes

It has changed from where it was before; if that is what you are declaring, sure, but the situation as compared to its competitors remains and will remain for the rest of this generation. And in that regard I think the perceived value is hard to judge, because it rises when ps3 does well, and falls when the ps3 falls.

I don't know what the mass market price for blu-ray is, as it is interlinked with hd tv sales, unlike dvd players were, but I don't think we've arrived there yet, even if we are getting there faster it seems.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
GhaleonEB said:
FWIW, I'm getting a Blu-Ray player for Christmas. It cost $65 from Wal-Mart. I think there's a lot of merit to this line of reasoning. The added value of a Blu-Ray player just isn't that high any longer.
I paid $700 for my PS3 (a couple of weeks after release, shitty Costco bundle and thinking I have been lucky to get one returned by a customer).

The main justification I had for my wife was that a standalone BR player costs $800 (and it did back then).

As for device convergence, there is a large segment of market that thinks a $65 standalone player is better than PS3 (as far as playing BR goes) just because it is a standalone dedicated player.

Ashes1396 said:
And in that regard I think the perceived value is hard to judge

It's really not that hard. We have NPD numbers which show pretty conclusively that the perceived value of the $299 PS3 is quite low. That is indeed the entire purpose of this conversation: we know to start with that people don't want to buy PS3s right now at the prices for which they are offered, and we are examining the factors which have created that situation. The poor PS3 sales and the low price of standalone BluRay players are enough to pretty clearly lay out why "plays BluRay" is no longer serving as a successful selling point for the system the way it did a year ago.

Ashes

charlequin said:
It's really not that hard. We have NPD numbers which show pretty conclusively that the perceived value of the $299 PS3 is quite low. That is indeed the entire purpose of this conversation: we know to start with that people don't want to buy PS3s right now at the prices for which they are offered, and we are examining the factors which have created that situation. The poor PS3 sales and the low price of standalone BluRay players are enough to pretty clearly lay out why "plays BluRay" is no longer serving as a successful selling point for the system the way it did a year ago.

Oh you mean it's not in the conversation anymore when consumers sit down to choose a product.

jvm said:
Has the $299 PS3 with $100 gift card been mentioned here yet? Just saw a Wal-mart advert on cable (wife's watching Lifetime channel, yuck) advertising that. Also $199 Wii with $75 card, I think.

My friend just had his unit get a Yellow Light of Death tonight so I told him about this. This should boost sales a little. Wonder if others will follow.

Ouch for PS3, Needs a price cut stat.

Kinnect really killed it for MS, Launch sales may be tainted numbers but that's a strong showing.

for all the people that think that the marketing is somehow convincing people they want a terrible product and that once it 'wears off' that they will change their mind i have a very honest question.

what about the kinect adverts on TV is misleading?

kinect isn't shown to be doing anything that it can't. the advertising campaign is a good one because it presents the feature set in a very concise and clear way.

you may be disapointed to find out how much space you need, but you can even see the lag in the adverts. the games they show being played on it look like they are, and are played exactly that way.

the stuff it apparently does works just the same when you bring it home.

no one watching an advert for kinect is being shown a false version of the product. they're being shown the real thing doing what the real thing really does. if that advert makes them want to buy one, then what they want to buy is a kinect, so that they can also do the things shown in the advert.

software may dry up or the next wave of games may not offer anything compelling, but that's certainly not the fault of the hardware, and it certainly says nothing about whether or not the hardware is desireable.

lets not completely ignore kinect adventures here either. with the attach rate at one game per kinect, most of the people buying kinect must value Kinect Adventures somewhat as part of the deal.

Tylahedras said:

Kinnect really killed it for MS, Launch sales may be tainted numbers but that's a strong showing.
I really don't think price cuts are the solution.

They cut their price, MS and Nintendo simply respond in kind. The problem is perception. The problem is in how much social the 360 feels by nature. The problem is they're taking no risks while MS takes them all and reaps the rewards. And of course, not being able to have the least expensive "HD" console doesn't help in the slightest. All of which have hurt the brand and their sales.

If a simple price cut could have solved their sales issues, some of the price cuts they've made in the past would have solved the problem. Instead, they only lead to temporary sales increases, then a return to predictable #3 placement in monthly console sales.

It's really surprising to me to see the constant suggestion that simply lowering the price will aleviate their problems. It just seems like an opinion that forgets the last 2 years of price cuts and their lack of effect.

Tylahedras said:

Tainted how? Like "the taint" tainted? "T'weren't?"

:lol

Sorry, slipped into a Mr. Show Hole for a second.

But seriously, how are they tainted numbers?

Curufinwe

plagiarize said:
for all the people that think that the marketing is somehow convincing people they want a terrible product and that once it 'wears off' that they will change their mind i have a very honest question.

what about the kinect adverts on TV is misleading?

kinect isn't shown to be doing anything that it can't. the advertising campaign is a good one because it presents the feature set in a very concise and clear way.

you may be disapointed to find out how much space you need, but you can even see the lag in the adverts. the games they show being played on it look like they are, and are played exactly that way.

the stuff it apparently does works just the same when you bring it home.

no one watching an advert for kinect is being shown a false version of the product. they're being shown the real thing doing what the real thing really does. if that advert makes them want to buy one, then what they want to buy is a kinect, so that they can also do the things shown in the advert.

software may dry up or the next wave of games may not offer anything compelling, but that's certainly not the fault of the hardware, and it certainly says nothing about whether or not the hardware is desireable.

lets not completely ignore kinect adventures here either. with the attach rate at one game per kinect, most of the people buying kinect must value Kinect Adventures somewhat as part of the deal.

Just letting you know that your post is kind of painful to look at due to all the missing capitals.

what do people who keep quoting the $500 million Kinect marketing budget place Sony's marketing budget at for the PS3 this winter out of interest?

Curufinwe said:
Just letting you know that your post is kind of painful to look at due to all the missing capitals.
are you from the past?

jvm said:
Has the $299 PS3 with $100 gift card been mentioned here yet? Just saw a Wal-mart advert on cable (wife's watching Lifetime channel, yuck) advertising that. Also $199 Wii with $75 card, I think.

Are either of those advertised in this week's sunday flyers? If not, they are panic responses.

Curufinwe said:
I'm from this thread right now where you're the only one lazy/uneducated enough to use capitals in the middle of sentences but not at the beginning.
i'm not a robot.

don't believe them if they told you i was a robot.

i bet you use capital letters when you speak outloud. in your head. you imagine them capitalised when people talk to you, just to stop the pain.

are there any other things i do that annoy yoU? i just want to know for no particular reasoN. i wouldn't do them more ofteN.

Pureauthor said:
WEll SOmeonE jUst sTUFfed aLl the CAPITALS iNtO my posT.

I aM TOrgO I tAke CAre of thE plACe WhiLe the MASter is AWay
are you smuggling grapefruits in your knees? what the hell is wrong with them?

i find it really really difficult to type without capitals and now im trying to type without punctuation and my brain is falling over itself

xbhaskarx said:
Can someone please expliain what "tainted numbers" means? :lol

Always have to use the newest catch phrase but unfortunatly saying "tainted numbers" is only a fad and will fade out shortly after everyone sobers up following the holiday egg nog rush.

Ashes

charlequin said:
That would be "those of us who have paid attention to NPD results over the last few months," which have made it pretty unambiguous that as things stand right now, people are buying more $299 360s than they're buying $299 PS3s (or, in November, at all prices combined.)

Apart from the condescending tone, I don't have a clue what you tried to imply there as regards to the specific point you appeared to be addressing.

MysticX

wow, Nintendo wins with 3 exclusive games in the top 10...again...no surprise.

COD selling a gazillion copies, who would have guessed?

Gran Turismo? Like Gran Bombizmo! <-there I said it! or did it get a full month?

Ashes1396 said:
Apart from the condescending tone, I don't have a clue what you tried to imply there as regards to the specific point you appeared to be addressing.

I think he is trying to tell you about what consumers see as "value" for $299 and it's not the PS3.

just tray

Kinect 5 million? It will sell more. Currently the stand alone is number 1 in the video game section on Amazon.Kinect is the future of gaming. Next month NPD numbers will be crazy.

Ashes

antiquegamer said:
I think he is trying to tell you about what consumers see as "value" for $299 and it's not the PS3.

Alright, maybe I'm just ratty cause I've had a long day or something, and you aren't being condescending...

I said:

Possibly true, but converger devices gives one piece of hardware the advantage there. Price possibly plays a bigger part. Who's to know whether ps3 and x360 priced similiarly will still have an affect as it did last time.

He said:

That would be "those of us who have paid attention to NPD results over the last few months," which have made it pretty unambiguous that as things stand right now, people are buying more $299 360s than they're buying $299 PS3s (or, in November, at all prices combined.)

----

I was talking about how ps3 manages to sell well when it is closer in price to x360.
Unless he is knows the split, between the 4gb and 250gb, which I think he doesn't, he is talking about x360 with kinnect. So he's either unsure, or he's stuck on his percieved valued train of thought. Which I'm not refferring to. And he uses that to 'definitively' patronise me. urgh...

Gadfly

Ashes1396 said:
Alright, maybe I'm just ratty cause I've had a long day or something, and you aren't being condescending...

I said:

Possibly true, but converger devices gives one piece of hardware the advantage there. Price possibly plays a bigger part. Who's to know whether ps3 and x360 priced similiarly will still have an affect as it did last time.

He said:

----

I was talking about how ps3 manages to sell well when it is closer in price to x360.
Unless he is knows the split, between the 4gb and 250gb, which I think he doesn't, he is talking about x360 with kinnect. So he's either unsure, or he's stuck on his percieved valued train of thought. Which I'm not refferring to. And he uses that to 'definitively' patronise me. urgh...
I beleive there was a post about the average price of 360 sold in Nov. and it was close to $300.

Also, 250G 360s are hard to find. 4G you can find everywhere. So yeah..

Ashes

Gadfly said:
I beleive there was a post about the average price of 360 sold in Nov. and it was close to $300.

Also, 250G 360s are hard to find. 4G you can find everywhere. So yeah..

So yeah, what exactly? Just state what you mean exactly.

edit: moved

Gadfly

Ashes1396 said:
So yeah, what exactly? Just state what you mean exactly.

You seemed to contest his claim that most of the 360s are sold at $300 and said he couldn't know this without knowing the split between 4G and 250G.

And I said I believe there was a post about the average price of 360 sold in Nov. (or it may have been in jvm article) and based on that it is very likely that the split is as he claims.

And regardless of the split, given the fact that it is easy to find 4G SKU and hard to find 250G SKU shows that it is not the $200 SKU that PS3 is competing against.

Ashes

I've moved the edit here:
edit: do you mean that we do know the platform split because you can't find 250g anywhere?
Leaving aside stock, and whether both comes in equal amounts or not, even if I accept blindly what you say:

700Kx299 kinect bundle
500Kx299 x360 250g
200Kx199 x360 4g
Ps3 unknown amounts of $299 bundles sell 500 K
I have no idea what the split between that and the $400 move bundle is.

That's not very convincing when they sell nearly the same amounts in that picture, which I think is highly in your favour, and wholly conjecture; I still don't think we can know truthfully what the splits are unless they told us.*

Even so, however many $299 bundles you sell you still won't sell more than the kinnect bundles, which took half of the total sales. Which makes the process to decipher one way or another muddier.

edit:
*test this claim your self. If they hadn't told you that half of all sales were kinnect, could you tell whether it, kinnect bundle, sold more or less then the $299 250gb bundle by looking at store shelves?

jvm

Gamasutra.
duk said:
price drop incoming?
These things are a de facto price drop. I'd like to know how they're figured into Sony's profits. I mean, Sony's been holding the price up to maintain profits, we presume. But doesn't this still ultimately affect their profits, even if it's a sneaky, backdoor price drop?

FrankT

jvm said:
These things are a de facto price drop. I'd like to know how they're figured into Sony's profits. I mean, Sony's been holding the price up to maintain profits, we presume. But doesn't this still ultimately affect their profits, even if it's a sneaky, backdoor price drop?

Probably a reaction to the $75 gift card Wal-Mart is having all week with the 250gb 360s. Then again looking at Nov.....Dec may not be all that great and the need to push is clearly there. Though Wal-Mart has been known to have these holiday deals with the Wii and 360 over the years. BB is having a $50 card as well this week iirc, but that one wasn't in the flyer this week, which points to reactionary. Amazon had a $75 for a couple of days as well. I assume Sony picks up the tab on all these, but not sure how exactly they figure in ultimately.

justjohn said:
This is like 2006 all over again. :lol

Nope, but getting closer to 08;

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/sony-issues-handy-chart-giant-bomb-issues-handier-chart/763/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20025840-17.html

Baki

jvm said:

Well if its just for the holidays than its not that bad (because they sell a ton of SW). Plus I'm sure $100 gift card does not cosr SCE a $100.

Top Bottom