• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

just tray said:
Kinect is the future of gaming.

Oh, please. When will people learn that one successful product or model or whatever - no matter how successful - is not enough to drag the entire gaming industry in a new direction? Smartphones haven't killed dedicated portables, portable haven't killed home consoles, home consoles haven't killed PCs, motion controls haven't killed controllers, DD hasn't killed physical media, Facebook and Flash games haven't killed blockbusters, MMOs haven't killed offline games, and neither cloud gaming like OnLive nor controller-free gaming Kinect will kill anything. The videogame market is huge and still expanding in all directions. No one segment of it is taking over.

Kinect isn't "the future of gaming". It might have a place in the future of gaming.

Ashes1396 said:
Apart from the condescending tone, I don't have a clue what you tried to imply there as regards to the specific point you appeared to be addressing.

You originally took issue with my point about BluRay, which is like the least subjective thing I've said in this entire thread: the dollar value for integrated BluRay playing goes down with every passing day as standalone player get cheaper, to the eventual point where integrated BRD playing will be essentially without monetary value (in the same way that lots of people have more devices than they will ever need that play DVDs now.)

What the information we have access to tells us is that when the PS3 and 360 cross paths in the sales rankings, it's because one of them has done something to shore up their value proposition against the other. Over the course of this year, Microsoft added significantly to their value proposition at both $199 and $299, while Sony basically sat in place (the mirror image of last year, when Sony improved their value significantly and Microsoft sat around.) Without specific factors of great significance (new killer apps, essentially) or external trends (like BluRay changing value in the broader market) that perception isn't going to change itself and the PS3 is not going to start looking like a more appealing value at the same price, with the same features. (The "price advantage" of Move is certainly irrelevant, since for new customers the only prices they're looking at are the $299 Kinect bundle and $399 Move bundle.)

The tl;dr version of this is that unlike before (when the two systems were in striking distance of one another) this move pretty effectively cements that Sony needs to improve the customer-perceived value of their system if they don't want to fall into the sales doldrums again, and since their system is already heavy on secondary "value" that doesn't seem to be working for them at their current price point, that pretty much means cutting the price.

RedStep

[Nintex] said:
Please buy our console fans who already own one! :lol

A) That is just sad on Sony's part.

B) I find it funny how quickly the commenters on their own blog turn on them. As noted by those commenters, things like Party / Cross Game Chat are conveniently missing from the list.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cjelly said:
Sounds like the Kevin Butler campaign!
As Haunted pointed out much earlier in the thread. That's pretty much their 2011 line up. Its the same position Nintendo was in with Cube. Most of what they do continually appeals to the same people.

RedStep said:
A) That is just sad on Sony's part.

B) I find it funny how quickly the commenters on their own blog turn on them. As noted by those commenters, things like Party / Cross Game Chat are conveniently missing from the list.

So is backwards compatibly.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
szaromir said:
Is Sony run by 12 years old boys?:lol
marcuspspheaderimg530px2.jpg

Maybe?

Jonsoncao

Banned
Megadragon15 said:

this comment is pure gold
AddisonW | December 16th, 2010 at 8:43 am
Awww…it so cute!
All the liddle Xbox fanboys hanging out on the Playstation Blog trying to hype their piece of garbage console!
No wonder the Xbox 360 is in last place this gen.
The PS3 has destroyed the 360 in graphics.
The PS3 has destroyed the 360 in exclusives.
The PS3 has destroyed the 360 in media capabilities.
The PS3 has destroyed the 360 in online gaming:
Free online gaming for everyone
Standard dedicated servers for all games
Lag free PC like online play thanks to the standard dedicated servers
Giant online game sizes thanks to the standard dedicated servers
The massive Home online gaming world
vs
60 dollar a year forced online fees
Laggy P2P based online gaming
Tiny online game sizes due to the junk P2P Xbox Live networking
Creepy Nintendo Mii ripoff avatars
Sony continues to humiliate Microsoft’s junk online service. Sony is showing Microsoft how to do online console gaming right. Why isn’t Microsoft learning from Sony?

swerve

LosDaddie said:
Yes, a clear sign. Even worse is that Sony is preaching to the choir since it's on THE PS BLOG. :lol

If that list was for my entertainment options, they missed out 'Plays NCL software?', 'cross-game chat?', and 'don't need to press triangle button to see the files you wanted?'.

these attempts to educate consumers about PS3's true value aren't anything new.

but then i don't really understand why Sony keep rolling them out either, since they haven't been helping in the past.

still i give them plaudits for acknowledging that the 360 can do 3D gaming. i thought they'd 'no' that one and asterisk it. the PS3's 3D support goes way beyond Microsoft's but at least they're being accurate.

that comment though is scary.

'dedicated servers standard'?

that isn't true is it? i haven't been keeping up, but it is still completely up to developers right? there are still numerous games that don't have dedicated servers right?

dedicated servers as standard would be awesome, but making it a standard would turn a lot of developers away surely?

adelante

[Nintex] said:
Please buy our console fans who already own one! :lol
Tretton: At Sony, we always have our hardcore fans in mind. Our focus now is to remind them of their PS3's outstanding value in order to boost their confidence of a repeat-purchase so that we can deliver against our plan of doubling our worldwide userbase by Christmas.

Curufinwe

Gary Whitta said:
OMFG that is INTERNET GOLD right there. Did Sony hire Chad Warden? Sheeeeeeeeit.

To be fair, it's pretty much what you and Will were saying at the end of last Tested podcast, only in reverse. :D

plagiarize said:

that isn't true is it? i haven't been keeping up, but it is still completely up to developers right? there are still numerous games that don't have dedicated servers right?
Not even close to being true, there's only a handful of games which do. That's a relic of pre-release PS3 system wars.

FrankT

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I bet :lol

Oh Sony, never change!

Personally, I'd go for the delicious ham sandwich, but that's probably just me.

Anyhow, Donny et al, this must be amongst the largest NPD threads eh?

fernoca

Sadly, a good amount of friends of mine are like that. So yeah, they exist. :p
We just try to avoid taking about videogames when around them. :lol

CorwinB

adelante said:
Tretton: At Sony, we always have our hardcore fans in mind. Our focus now is to remind them of their PS3's outstanding value in order to boost their confidence of a repeat-purchase so that we can deliver against our plan of doubling our worldwide userbase by Christmas.

Do I need 4 jobs to get a second PS3 ?

Jonsoncao

Banned
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...t-you’re-not-getting/comment-page-2/#comments

That Addison guy continues to deliver, and he has been spamming the same comparison comments several times already
AddisonW | December 16th, 2010 at 10:01 am
“The Xbox 360 is pretty close. Come 2011, the only thing missing is Blu-Ray support”
LOL!!!!
Yep, the RRoDbox is ‘pretty close’ to the PS3. Except for those few little details:
* The wimpy 360 graphics hardware compared to the PS3
* Jet engine loud 360 hardware due to the poor design and outdated DVD drive spinning at an insane rate
* No cheap off the shelf harddrive upgrades
* Giant external powerbrick
* No exclusives – 20 Sony first party studios vs only 3 for Microsoft
* Anything remotely worth playing on the RRoDbox has better PC versions
* Forced 60 dollar a year online fees for laggy P2P based online
* Bandwidth killing sub 720p overly compressed movies with poor quality audio compared to the PS3′s 1080p HD 7.1 audio Blu-Rays
* And the worst console hardware quality in the history of gaming for the 360 compared to Sony’s rock solid reliability
LOL!, yep the 360 is ‘pretty close’ to the PS3…

plagiarize said:
that comment though is scary.

dedicated servers as standard would be awesome, but making it a standard would turn a lot of developers away surely?

No, it's totally false and fanboy drivel.

Top Bottom