• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Malcolm9

Sony have been pushing the 12 days of Xmas ads in the UK, where you can get a PS4 with TLOU, Driveclub and GTA V for £349.99.

I'd be very surprised if that isn't a big seller here for December.

Wow. Last night had some developments. High drama on the GAF.

A 3:2 split makes way more sense and is pretty much spot on with how I was thinking the split would go. I was just wrong about the totals. MS did 1.2 instead of just 1. Sony did 8 instead of 7.

MS should take December but the ratio will be slightly smaller.

Oh and CBOAT needs to be perm'd. Dude just posts vague BS that is open way to much to interpretation and the stuff he gets specific about like here is almost always wrong.

Yeah I was aware it did much better in Japan (hence all of those quality imports), whereas the N64 was kind of a flop over there. It's honestly kind of fascinating, the Vita is perceived as being largely irrelevant and unimportant here and yet within just over two years it still sold better than the Saturn, a console from one of the big three console manufacturers (at the time) that was on the market for well over three years. And yet it fared much better in Japan, where the N64 struggled. I'm sure there was a huge difference between the west and Japan in how 2D games were perceived in the mid-late 90s.

Didn't Bernie Stolar essentially kill Saturn in 2007 when he said Saturn wasn't Sega's future?

GamerJM

Banned
Wow. Last night had some developments. High drama on the GAF.

A 3:2 split makes way more sense and is pretty much spot on with how I was thinking the split would go. I was just wrong about the totals. MS did 1.2 instead of just 1. Sony did 8 instead of 7.

MS should take December but the ratio will be slightly smaller.

Oh and CBOAT needs to be perm'd. Dude just posts vague BS that is open way to much to interpretation and the stuff he gets specific about like here is almost always wrong.

He has a near flawless history going back before a year though, and he posted some really specific shit about specific games and console specs.

AniHawk

Yeah I was aware it did much better in Japan (hence all of those quality imports), whereas the N64 was kind of a flop over there. It's honestly kind of fascinating, the Vita is perceived as being largely irrelevant and unimportant here and yet within just over two years it still sold better than the Saturn, a console from one of the big three console manufacturers (at the time) that was on the market for well over three years. And yet it fared much better in Japan, where the N64 struggled. I'm sure there was a huge difference between the west and Japan in how 2D games were perceived in the mid-late 90s.

well, the saturn didn't do a ton better than the n64. it outsold it by about 500,000. it's just a neat little note.

anyway, the vita's getting closer and closer to when the plug on the saturn was pulled (august 2015 would be the comparable time in particular). i think it made enough of a splash that it won't be completely forgotten. due to sony's connection to the platform i think people will remember it as a platform no one gave a chance, however unfair that might be to society as a whole. because it never reached a lot of kids, nor had that kind of appeal, i doubt it'll be remembered decades on like the game gear was.

Rembrandt

Banned
Thanks for the info, this goes beyond having an "opinion" and if he stuck to it after somebody in the know called him out (or the truth came out), I am very surprised he didn't lose respect right there and then.

I am not visiting GAF as often as I used to but it was a lot saner back then. Now even a certain mod (which has a history of being a Sony fan but there is nothing wrong with that by itself) jumped on the bandwagon of giving credence to his BS which is embarrassing.

he had a decent track record before. I went through his posts and it seems the stuff he talked about earlier on was nowhere near as big as the stuff he started claiming later (which ironically is around the time he started getting things wrong.) I think the latest thing he was truly right about was Titanfall, but he even claimed there wouldn't be a PC version. I guess some people just liked his consistently bad MS news.

The combination of the early cboat post and the creamsugar correction has made this one of the best NPS threads in the long.

The before/after reactions are hilarious.

Well done MS, now keep that momentum going into next year.

Wii U is done.

I was out at the work christmas party last night and have missed this whole thread. Can someone point me to where this happened? Sounds incredible.

quetz67

Banned
What I really wonder is how the gap would have been if Sony hadn't underestimated the demand for the BF bundle and had enough of those to keep them selling until Cyber Monday.

No, PS4 was sold at a slight loss at first, something like 20 USD iirc.
Xbone is definitely sold at a loss now, especially taking into consideration the value of the bundled software.

MS stated last year they weren't selling the console at a loss, just even. I also recall it was told that Kinect had a cost of 200~$ so, the kinectless SKU can't be sold at a loss.

What I really wonder is how the gap would have been if Sony hadn't underestimated the demand for the BF bundle and had enough of those to keep them selling until Cyber Monday.

same goes for MS for the SO white XB1 bundle..

Celine

Didn't Bernie Stolar essentially kill Saturn in 2007 when he said Saturn wasn't Sega's future?
Saturn bad sales in US and Europe is what killed the system.

Stolar statement was stupid from a business perspective but the business was already dying (again in US and Europe).

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The mighty dragon is still said to slumber, but the impact to its riches will surely be keenly felt.

Though all is not as it seems, there are rumours from the south that it has begun to stir... The loss of riches is said to have been so devastating that it has awoken the beast from it's decades long slumber. Tremors can be felt coming from Red Mountain....

MenacingBetterElkhound.gif

ulfmbt.gif

Guerrilla

MS stated last year they weren't selling the console at a loss, just even. I also recall it was told that Kinect had a cost of 200~$ so, the kinectless SKU can't be sold at a loss.

I bet its way cheaper to produce than we expect. Probably still making a profit even with price cut/bundles. These consoles aren't beasts like 360/ps3 were and the price of the components probably dropped a lot in the last 12 months

Not sure MS shareholders/bosses are attracted, too. This business is already least profitable to them and on the verge of spin-off if continues to underperform compared to their other divisions.

That win was more needed for X-box bosses to claim 1. They turned tides 2. Convince big 3rd party publishers not to abandon the ship/switch lead development to XB1 3. Attract indies.

If You have to come close to breaking even during Holiday period, what do You want to achieve ? Businesses exist to earn money not market share. Market shares are for execs to brag about how successful they are and mean nothing if money doesn't follow.

So big time win, expected and deserved, but from the business standpoint its a 1mm thin ice.
Also, I do not know how important the xbox still is for their company strategy. it was intended to be "the center of the living room", but time has changed a lot, and now there is smart-tvs, smartphones, tablets, fire tv and whatever. nothing the box can do what cannot be done by other stuff easily. the definition of the xbox brand slowly transforms from a real box to a synonyme for gaming on windows platforms, including OS. the console itself might shift from being the trojan horse to being the jester of the company, funny and prestigious, but not really helpful or essential.

Mooreberg

Which is why I think Inquisition will have more legs than any of those other games. I think it'll be ok. (I mean, media is up its ass for a reason --- the game really is super good and that word of mouth is legit.)
Yeah I could see it hanging around. There isn't a ton coming out before March. Lately, some games that did not make the top ten in the first month never appeared there later, but they were also on fewer platforms.

the ps3 was more on par with the gamecube. the wii u is doing worse than the dreamcast.
Pretty crazy considering how astronomically expensive the PS3 was, and so many of the original first party games landing with a thud (due in no small part to virtually zero people being willing to buy an expensive system for games they are unfamiliar with). The lack of price adjustment makes it seem like they just sort of lost the nerve for it at some point. They at least took a bath on lowering 3DS' price for a while.

More like $349.99, I know Sony wants US but they're not that suicidal to drop $100. The best you'll see it's a $349.99 bundle and maybe a new $399 SKU with 1TB because lord knows we'll need that if these games keep getting bigger.

I can see a $299 PS4 by the end of the summer. Sony announced their Chinese release undercutting the One by $100+, that could be an insight into current costs. And they've got control in other markets where they can introduce smaller price cuts with big returns. Plus they now have PS+ as an extra revenue source.

The Xbone itself costs more than the PS4, so the ~$200 rumours were probably bullshit.

Radec

$200 cost of making a Kinect is a product of TFMA.

I bet its way cheaper to produce than we expect. Probably still making a profit even with price cut/bundles. These consoles aren't beasts like 360/ps3 were and the price of the components probably dropped a lot in the last 12 months

That was the big trip up in MS's design. They're use of older DR RAM and ESRAM are two components not expected to drop by a lot in price.

*Splinter

They've gone and done it... they've gone and woke the sleeping dragon now.

Microsoft should have left well enough alone and now they're going to get it. It's not enough that they're bleeding benjamins from practically every crevice of their devices division. Now they go and throw immense deals with bundles like the AC one just to piss off the market. Why pay to force adoption from as many gamers as possible? Why not put that money into first-party studios and games instead?

I know, I know... this is the way the business goes as they say. Well, they forced Sony's hands with their November sales lead and Sony only responded with an GTAV + TLOU bundles by way of just decent deals and value. Sony will undoubtedly follow this announcement up with some more real megatons of their own.

Uncharted remake collection. A true Crash sequel. New Killzone beta in the hands of gamers. The next Bayonetta, Dead Space and Crysis as exclusives. Those are the kinds of blockbuster response announcements I expect, and then some. You hit Sony with a jab, you best be ready for a flurry of uppercuts coming at you in response.
Simply brilliant. I was so confused as I read this, thinking "Why is open_mouth_ fanboying Sony now?"

glad smash is doing well and that the wii u YoY increase is still in effect hopefully it continues in december as thats usually the bigger month for nintendo hardware but that would mean them selling more than the 481k they sold last year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Its crazy to think about it but Microsoft dropped price by nearly 35% in 12 months, and Sony is still confident selling at their launch price. Wondering how long that will last...

I think that either May or June will be right time for PS4 price drop. When they will announce it, it will be global price cut.

samar11

PS4 is done in the US, I keep asking myself at what cost can Microsoft can keep this one, but I keep forgetting how much money Microsoft has compared to almost bankrupt Sony. Poor bastards.

Money talks guys.

Dumb GIF considering it was MS firing off all the shots by handing out the console like leaflets on the corner along with a stack of games and Live credit.

Meanwhile, Sony haven't budged from their position... but sure, they were the ones trying to land hit after hit.

Isn't Sony still #1 in NA and worldwide btw?

Mory Dunz

They've gone and done it... they've gone and woke the sleeping dragon now.

Microsoft should have left well enough alone and now they're going to get it. It's not enough that they're bleeding benjamins from practically every crevice of their devices division. Now they go and throw immense deals with bundles like the AC one just to piss off the market. Why pay to force adoption from as many gamers as possible? Why not put that money into first-party studios and games instead?

I know, I know... this is the way the business goes as they say. Well, they forced Sony's hands with their November sales lead and Sony only responded with an GTAV + TLOU bundles by way of just decent deals and value. Sony will undoubtedly follow this announcement up with some more real megatons of their own.

Uncharted remake collection. A true Crash sequel. New Killzone beta in the hands of gamers. The next Bayonetta, Dead Space and Crysis as exclusives. Those are the kinds of blockbuster response announcements I expect, and then some. You hit Sony with a jab, you best be ready for a flurry of uppercuts coming at you in response.
Nice.
Maybe change uppercuts to like....SF5 something.
Or "shoryukens"

Top Bottom