• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Here's the thing - QB really doesn't have much in its corner for it potentially turning into a franchise. And MS has helped launch at least two new IP this generation, and neither of which are showing any signs (either sales or a cult-like following) that they will become franchises either; SSOD & Ryse. And just going by various social metrics or even online retailers, QB isn't generating the kind of buzz that would signify that it has this innate franchise potential.

Also, Remedy as a studio takes wayyyy too long in developing their games. QB is launching about 7 weeks shy of 3 years from when it was announced, much less when it started development. Considering most of Remedy's fanbase is clamoring for an Alan Wake 2, I think the only way we ever see QB turn into a franchise is if QB does comparable numbers to AW on Xbox 360. As far as marketing goes, I think MS did a poor job in not giving Remedy a E3 gameplay stage demo at this year's E3 conference. The gameplay demo MS did for Alan Wake when it had its gameplay debut went a long way in helping sell that franchise to the 360's more receptive audience.

You have to give credit where credit is due, Microsoft helped launch Titanfall and that's going to be a franchise. Not that it will help Microsoft in the long run but still.

Shenmue

Banned
Since we are comparing Splatoon to random other games. How has it compared to Rise of the Tomb Raider when the time on the market is aligned?

If Splatoon as a new IP did better than an extremely established one while being on one console vs. two and on a console that has a far smaller install base, man... that's not good.

When were these impressions? That's disappointing considering they are a very good developer. You're talking about The Order 1886, aren't you? -_- A shame that game got beaten by critics as much as it did. No way QB does that bad critically though. That game got beaten harder than Rhonda Rousey.

Yeah when was this. I don't remember there ever being game previews out in the wild besides the game informer article and I don't think they mentioned hands on with it

Lol, the only journalists (and people outside of MS/Remedy) that have played it are Game Informer and they were positive on it so you must be thinking of something else

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...s-of-quantum-breaks-time-warping-gunplay.aspx

Apologies I remembered incorrectly. It was the Kotaku impressions piece on Quantum Break that I was thinking of. They didn't play the game but saw it behind the scenes being played as a demo.

http://kotaku.com/unfortunately-quantum-break-looks-a-bit-rubbish-1723074024

Julian Benson seemed distinctly unimpressed by what he saw.

Kotaku said:
For two years, we’ve wondered what Quantum Break actually is. Having seen it, I’m now worried that Quantum Break is a bland-looking shooter interrupted with 20-minute episodes of bad television at the end of every chapter. It should be so much better.

The presenter running the demo showed off a gunfight against some hired goons. He was making use of all the powers at his disposal, dashing up to enemies and hitting them with fancy melee attacks, pausing time and flanking to shoot the goons in their rear, and making people inexplicably explode with time balls. But it wasn’t exciting to watch. None of these powers are new. They look nice in Quantum Break, but they don’t feel original like Max Payne’s Bullet Time did when Remedy first attempted time manipulation 14 years ago.

Quantum Break’s other half is the television series that splits up the game’s chapters. At the end of each chapter is something called a ‘Junction Point’. There, control switches to Paul, the villain. You’re given a choice to make and your decision is reflected in the following episode.

While an interesting idea, it seems out of place in Quantum Break. The programme seems to interrupt the game rather than thread into it. In Max Payne and Alan Wake, television series were part of the world and informed the fiction but they didn’t insist on taking up 20 minutes of your time. You could walk by the television screening episodes of Lords and Ladies and Captain Baseball Bat Boy in Max Payne. In Quantum Break you have to just put the controller down and watch.

What you’re watching doesn’t seem too good, either. Despite having actors like Aidan Gillen and Lance Reddick from The Wire and Dominic Monaghan from Lord of the Rings, the performances in the scenes we were shown were, like the gunplay, dull. It didn’t help that the script was all clichés.

Going by what I've seen, my gut feeling, impressions and MS past precedent with games that are outside their shooter-centric core, I don't think there is any way this is going to sell 400K first month in NA. 200K at best.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Since we are comparing Splatoon to random other games. How has it compared to Rise of the Tomb Raider when the time on the market is aligned?

If Splatoon as a new IP did better than an extremely established one while being on one console vs. two and on a console that has a far smaller install base, man... that's not good.

Forget launch allinied. Splatoon sold better than Tomb Raider in the launch month. A 7 months old game... I think there is nothing to say Here.

Shenmue

Banned
Forget launch allinied. Splatoon sold better than Tomb Raider in the launch month. A 7 months old game... I think there is nothing to say Here.

Yeah I meant launch month vs launch month. I just worded it completely wrong apparently.

But wow I didn't know you meant that even 7 months later, Splatoon still outsold TR this month...

It's a prediction on an upcoming title. Like... we don't have a lot of data aside from past performance anyways.

Except that we don't know even know the US:WW ratio on Uncharted. We know series sales, and we know opening month NPD sales (and I think opening WW shipment for 3), but I don't believe we know LTD sales in the US or worldwide for any specific title. It could be that Uncharted gets 75% of its sales in the US, and we just wouldn't know. So we can't just assume that WW matters for that title.

Raist

Banned
Do we have data for other countries besides France? Also I doubt Splatoon has such legs in other countries than France.

Splatoon sold over 100k as of Sept. 2015 in Germany. But it's still under 200k. Don't know much more than that. I don't think it lit the UK market on fire either.

Except that we don't know even know the US:WW ratio on Uncharted. We know series sales, and we know opening month NPD sales (and I think opening WW shipment for 3), but I don't believe we know LTD sales in the US or worldwide for any specific title. It could be that Uncharted gets 75% of its sales in the US, and we just wouldn't know. So we can't just assume that WW matters for that title.

The Uncharted series (1-3) are at 21 million WW. And you think it's 75% in the US? Like, I know we don't have a lot of data on the ROTW, but there are pretty strong inferences that we can draw from the available data. But I'm not even sure what you want me to do? Not bring WW into account because we don't have hard numbers for most of the things at large?

Fine. Let me revise my initial statement then. Here it is:

I expect UC4 to do about 1 million in it's opening month in the NPD. It may or may not sell copies in the ROTW.

Let me know if that's fine or if the second line is taking it too far for an NPD thread.

There is absolutely no way Uncharted has earned that much of its sales from U.S.

jjonez18

Does that 200k for ROTR include bundles?

Edit: So with bundles ROTR>Splatoon? Not something you want to shout from the rooftops, but it's something, right?

The Uncharted series (1-3) are at 21 million WW. And you think it's 75% in the US? Like, I know we don't have a lot of data on the ROTW, but there are pretty strong inferences that we can draw from the available data. But I'm not even sure what you want me to do? Not bring WW into account because we don't have hard numbers for most of the things at large?

Fine. Let me revise my initial statement then. Here it is:

I expect UC4 to do about 1 million in it's opening month in the NPD. It may or may not sell copies in the ROTW.

Let me know if that's fine or if the second line is taking it too far for an NPD thread.

There is absolutely no way Uncharted has earned that much of its sales from U.S.

I don't actually think the number is that high. My point was that we don't know what the number actually is, so any talk about how well Uncharted will do WW is just guessing at this point based on the sales totals of the series, of which we don't have any idea of much of it was sold outside the US.

gtj1092

I don't actually think the number is that high. My point was that we don't know what the number actually is, so any talk about how well Uncharted will do WW is just guessing at this point based on the sales totals of the series, of which we don't have any idea of much of it was sold outside the US.

Seems like a silly point. Making a prediction is by definition a guess. People are allowed to make educated guesses and deductions. It stands to reason a majority of UC sales come from outside the US judging by its NPD performance compared to the WW figures Sony has released.

Do you also take issue with the fact that ps4 sells better in the rest of the world than the US?

Seems like a silly point. Making a prediction is by definition a guess. People are allowed to make educated guesses and deductions. It stands to reason a majority of UC sales come from outside the US judging by its NPD performance compared to the WW figures Sony has released.

Do you also take issue with the fact that ps4 sells better in the rest of the world than the US?

No, because we know those numbers (we have sell through, we have shipments, and we have cumulative NPD totals). I'm not saying you can't guess, I'm saying you don't any data to back up your guesses outside of saying PS4 sells a lot in ROW. I may be wrong about this, but do we know anything about Uncharted series sales outside of the series totals and the first month NPD numbers of each of the 3 games?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Well, this thread is not more "interesting TM" now... i just wait for the December prediction thread.

Anyway, talking about December, like i maked a list of the best Novembers, i think i should do a similar thing with December.

TOP 20 BIGGER DECEMBERS EVER SINCE 2000
1) Wii - 3,810,000 ( December 2009)
2) DS - 3,310,000 (December 2009)
3) DS - 3,040,000 (December 2008)
4) PS2 - 2,733,000 (December 2002)
5) DS - 2,500,000 ( December 2010)
6) DS - 2,470,000 (December 2007)
7) Wii - 2,360,000 (December 2010)
8) GBA - 2,316,000 (December 2003)
9) GBA - 2,215,000 (December 2002)
10) Wii - 2,150,000 (December 2008)
11) GBA - 2,060,000 (December 2004)
12) PS2 - 1,971,000 (December 2001)
13) PS2 - 1,970,000 (December 2003)
14) 360 - 1,860,000 (December 2010)
15) 360 - 1,700,000 (December 2011)
16) 3DS - 1,650,000 (December 2011)
17) GBA - 1,618,000 (December 2001)
18) DS - 1,600,000 (December 2006)
19) PS2 - 1,500,000 (December 2005)
20) 360 - 1,440,000 (December 2008)

Will XB1 or PS4 chart? And where will chart in that list?

No, because we know those numbers (we have sell through, we have shipments, and we have cumulative NPD totals). I'm not saying you can't guess, I'm saying you don't any data to back up your guesses outside of saying PS4 sells a lot in ROW. I may be wrong about this, but do we know anything about Uncharted series sales outside of the series totals and the first month NPD numbers of each of the 3 games?

We have US, U.K. and JP numbers. And you can draw strong inferences from this and WW series totals unless you believe that each series had absolutely massive legs in the US.

But you know, I give up. There's absolutely no basis for making a WW prediction, at all. Especially in an NPD thread. I've already revised my statement so people don't get their panties in a bunch.

I'm dropping this.

viHuGi

Banned
Well, this thread is not more "interesting TM" now... i just wait for the December prediction thread.

Anyway, talking about December, like i maked a list of the best Novembers, i think i should do a similar thing with December.

TOP 20 BIGGER DECEMBERS EVER SINCE 2000
1) Wii - 3,810,000 ( December 2009)
2) DS - 3,310,000 (December 2009)
3) DS - 3,040,000 (December 2008)
4) PS2 - 2,733,000 (December 2002)
5) DS - 2,500,000 ( December 2010)
6) DS - 2,470,000 (December 2007)
7) Wii - 2,360,000 (December 2010)
8) GBA - 2,316,000 (December 2003)
9) GBA - 2,215,000 (December 2002)
10) Wii - 2,150,000 (December 2008)
11) GBA - 2,060,000 (December 2004)
12) PS2 - 1,971,000 (December 2001)
13) PS2 - 1,970,000 (December 2003)
14) 360 - 1,860,000 (December 2010)
15) 360 - 1,700,000 (December 2011)
16) 3DS - 1,650,000 (December 2011)
17) GBA - 1,618,000 (December 2001)
18) DS - 1,600,000 (December 2006)
19) PS2 - 1,500,000 (December 2005)
20) 360 - 1,440,000 (December 2008)

Will XB1 or PS4 chart? And where will chart in that list?

No way they are entering that Top10, no freaking way.

Top Bottom