• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Understood. Do you want me to stop the practice altogether? Because I have no qualms if it's the wishes of the mod team.

I honestly have slightly less concern if it's just a one and done thing that is never, ever addressed, but I ultimately think that's pointless. I understand the intent. It's cool that people are trying to figure out a way for the community to have some data points so as to continue this conversation that we all enjoy. But it doesn't really help the community to have data that we can't really acknowledge having without having to jump through hoops that ultimately hinder a dialogue.

So, yes, I would discourage even you from posting in that fashion. I appreciate the intent, but I don't think this is the answer.

KoopaTheCasual

I honestly have slightly less concern if it's just a one and done thing that is never, ever addressed, but I ultimately think that's pointless. I understand the intent. It's cool that people are trying to figure out a way for the community to have some data points so as to continue this conversation that we all enjoy. But it doesn't really help the community to have data that we can't really acknowledge having without having to jump through hoops that ultimately hinder a dialogue.

So, yes, I would discourage even you from posting in that fashion. I appreciate the intent, but I don't think this is the answer.
:'(
2 week delay (thread calmed down) plus pie charts should do it imo.
I like this.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, regardless of the method, I think wait a few days in some level helps to the info not spread out.

Most people move on after NPD night and the next day.

I think a week would work the best. Don't know if that would be okay with the mods though.

Anyway, checked Amazon again and the standard PS4 and Xbox One AC Unity bundle have pretty much switched places/positions since last week when you add in the recent game release positions dropping a bit. Xbox One AC Unity bundle with Kinect is rising right alongside the PS4 Destiny bundle and the Xbox One COD bundle has picked up a lot too (as well as the standard Xbox One SKU... for some reason).

Going to be a close month.

hawk2025

Obviously I understand that eventually it's the mod's team decision, but --

looking at the counterfactual: If the alternative is not posting at all, how are the boards and the discussion in any way better off?

Obviously I understand that eventually it's the mod's team decision, but --

looking at the counterfactual: If the alternative is not posting at all, how are the boards and the discussion in any way better off?

The alternative is to post about the data that is publicly available. Data hidden in post email tags is not data that is publicly available.

Love, love, LOVE Abdiel's input. Thank you.

I'm kind of in the camp of if X1 doesn't stomp PS4 this month with everything MS has done for sales, that has to be seen as... alarming to MS.

These bundles and price drops prove to me that MS really is serious when stating they want to win this generation. So eking out a slight Nov NPD isn't much to celebrate when Sony really only has to keep it close mainly in NA / UK to handily take WW sales.

And I really don't see MS raising their price again after the holidays if PS4 is already beginning to outsell the X1 again this month.

Love, love, LOVE Abdiel's input. Thank you.

I'm kind of in the camp of if X1 doesn't stomp PS4 this month with everything MS has done for sales, that has to be seen as... alarming to MS.

These bundles and price drops prove to me that MS really is serious when stating they want to win this generation. So eking out a slight Nov NPD isn't much to celebrate when Sony really only has to keep it close mainly in NA / UK to handily take WW sales.

And I really don't see MS raising their price again after the holidays if PS4 is already beginning to outsell the X1 again this month.

You have to wonder if MS do win, then would it be even as much as the October deficit Sony won by. MS really are going to need to win big if they are going to win. Otherwise it was a lot of effort (perhaps loss leading?) for naught.

OK, I'm going to be the bad guy here. The email thing? This is a bad idea. I don't want this to be encouraged. At best, it's a minimally effective tool to try and obfuscate that data that shouldn't be shared publicly is being shared slightly less openly. At worst, it completely destroys the flow of conversation and opens up the door for this to become more prolific on the rest of the forum. There was a user that was punished somewhat harshly (and comically) for hiding text in email tags. It is not a practice we want to encourage.

Now, I understand. I probably look like an awful person that is raining on the parade when everyone wants the same thing and ideas are being kicked around to facilitate that while also not being too ostentatious. Honestly, kudos to that. We all enjoy sales discussion. But this particular idea? This is not the answer.

I'm not issuing an immediate scorched earth warning here, but I will say that failure to comply is going to result in bans pretty quickly. So, don't post responses in email tags.

I have to admit, I checked this post for a hidden message.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Did anyone else find it interesting that:

1st 12 months ltd
Wii + 360 + PS3 = Wii U + Xbox One + PS4

Even though the Wii was supplies constraints at the time, the numbers doesn't seems to give credence that the user base have severely contracted.

I'm going to make a similar post to what I did in the "Sony Unfazed" thread regarding what we're seeing in the retail channel since the start of the month.

In short... The PS4 has once again overtaken the XB1 in sales on a weekly/daily basis... handily. I haven't had a chance to check if it has totally overcome the initial explosion of price-cut purchases, but it's certainly eating away at that buffer rather quickly.

Not only that, but the response to our BF ad has led to some interesting anecdotes. Getting an extra $20 off the XB1 deal doesn't seem to have elicited much interest beyond those that will already plan to be there, whereas we're getting questions about how early customers can line up for guaranteed placement for the PS4 bundles. I'll clarify that I fully expect both bundle offers to sell out that weekend, but from the disparity in interest/questions, it seems likely the overall velocity of those sales will be quite different.

We've also had a Sony rep in the store confirming some numbers with our management, in case we need to add additional stock for those sales. Sony doesn't seem to be brushing this off. (Interestingly, for those of you that are interested in this sort of thing, the fact that the GTA bundle comes with a physical copy of the game is actually a selling point for some customers.)

I don't really want to call the month one way or the other, but the people assuming that MS had this in the bag may want to reconsider.

Thanks for your insight, as always. Limiting these bundles is an interesting game of cat & mouse. I wonder if they see it as primarily a way to combat the other console's bundles, or more to take the console on as a whole. With overall sales being the goal, you'd think they could eat TLOU cost no issue and just worry about the cost of the GTAV pack-in. As a whole, I don't see why you'd want to practically limit the bundle at all, but I'm sure there's a finer economic reason.

As for GTAV's selling power, I went to a best buy midnight launch in Culver City, CA to pickup Dragon Age for PS4. Out of DA:I, Far Cry 4 and GTAV selling that night, GTAV was by far the dominant title in their cart they had for pre-orders (well over half from what I saw). The mix of all titles together was around 70% PS4, 30% XB1. So, I still think GTAV is going to be a huge motivator despite selling ~20 million already.

1st 12 months ltd

Even though the Wii was supplies constraints at the time, the numbers doesn't seems to give credence that the user base have severely contracted.

And the ASP has probably gone up over $100, even adjusted for inflation. So that's a good indicator I'd say.

Elandyll

Banned
How about a 1 week delay and posting numbers rounded up or down to the closest 25k increment? Could that work to both allow discussion and avoid the NPD wrath?

e.g.: A 117k would become a 125k, while a 256k would become a 250k.

allan-bh

You have to wonder if MS do win, then would it be even as much as the October deficit Sony won by. MS really are going to need to win big if they are going to win. Otherwise it was a lot of effort (perhaps loss leading?) for naught.

Microsoft beat Sony is a lost cause. Could happen in some months, but overall the trend is PS4 expand the lead.

Xbox One just need to sell well to be a decent second place.

allan-bh

How about a 1 week delay and posting numbers rounded up or down to the closest 25k increment? Could that work to both allow discussion and avoid the NPD wrath?

e.g.: A 117k would become a 125k, while a 256k would become a 250k.

Just wait for posts which will eventually appear.

Understood. I know in my heart it's not the right answer, but I wanted to make some sort of obfuscation attempt regardless to appease heightened tensions.

I fully understand the futility of the existing method, and I understand that it would inevitably be cracked and shared...as would any form of encryption method shared publicly on GAF.

That's why I felt it was appropriate, as it was sort of a balance to placate The NPD Group with at least some attempt at obfuscation, but it didn't significantly hamper an average GAFfer from being able to have access to data to help further the conversation.

Regardless, I've removed all tag messages from my previous posts and I won't be doing it again in any significant capacity.

We'll have to rethink this.

tbh all you need to do is delay it a bit, that way the people who don't really care will have left, because the ones that do care on other sites will just wait and steal it in the end anyway

Superman00

Liverpool01
Understood. I know in my heart it's not the right answer, but I wanted to make some sort of obfuscation attempt regardless to appease heightened tensions.

I fully understand the futility of the existing method, and I understand that it would inevitably be cracked and shared...as would any form of encryption method shared publicly on GAF.

That's why I felt it was appropriate, as it was sort of a balance to placate The NPD Group with at least some attempt at obfuscation, but it didn't significantly hamper an average GAFfer from being able to have access to data to help further the conversation.

Regardless, I've removed all tag messages from my previous posts and I won't be doing it again in any significant capacity.

We'll have to rethink this.[/QUOTE]

For those that have seen the numbers, I guess we should keep those private too?

ethomaz

Banned
I'm going to make a similar post to what I did in the "Sony Unfazed" thread regarding what we're seeing in the retail channel since the start of the month.

In short... The PS4 has once again overtaken the XB1 in sales on a weekly/daily basis... handily. I haven't had a chance to check if it has totally overcome the initial explosion of price-cut purchases, but it's certainly eating away at that buffer rather quickly.

Not only that, but the response to our BF ad has led to some interesting anecdotes. Getting an extra $20 off the XB1 deal doesn't seem to have elicited much interest beyond those that will already plan to be there, whereas we're getting questions about how early customers can line up for guaranteed placement for the PS4 bundles. I'll clarify that I fully expect both bundle offers to sell out that weekend, but from the disparity in interest/questions, it seems likely the overall velocity of those sales will be quite different.

We've also had a Sony rep in the store confirming some numbers with our management, in case we need to add additional stock for those sales. Sony doesn't seem to be brushing this off. (Interestingly, for those of you that are interested in this sort of thing, the fact that the GTA bundle comes with a physical copy of the game is actually a selling point for some customers.)

I don't really want to call the month one way or the other, but the people assuming that MS had this in the bag may want to reconsider.
Thanks for the input like always.

The Amazon is showing the same trend... Xbone sales are reaching a normal level again after the pricecut/bundle deal and PS4 starting to gain stream.

I still believe PS4 will take November NPD.

I will be surprised if otherwise happened... it is not the Xbone time to win the NPD yet.

1st 12 months ltd

Which last gen console do you think is going to do a 1.5 million over the next 2 months like the PS2 did in 2007?

Bgamer90

Banned
Thanks for the input like always.

The Amazon is showing the same trend... Xbone sales are reaching a normal level again after the pricecut/bundle deal and PS4 starting to gain stream.

Wouldn't say it's really normal. I don't remember the Xbox One ever being this high on Amazon during previous months this year. Unless I'm wrong, I even think the $450 Xbox One SKUs are in better spots than where the normal Xbox One SKU was during previous months this year.

allan-bh

But sharing the data itself is ok (as long as the persons who do share can take steps to remain safe in doing so), or that itself is also a no no?

Better not make this questions, NPD is private data.

We understood the point, forum rules will be respected.

Toki767

Wouldn't say it's really normal. I don't remember the Xbox One ever being this high on Amazon during previous months this year. Unless I'm wrong, I even think the $450 Xbox One SKUs are in better spots than where the normal Xbox One SKU was during previous months this year.

I'm fairly sure we're not going to see "normal" levels until January since this week had high profile releases and next week will be the start of the holiday shopping season.

ethomaz

Banned
Well it is November... even PS4 was never this high except at launch.

What I meant is... XB1 seems to be loosing stream after the first two weeks and PS4 the opposite... I think GTAV, LBP3 and others market PS4 game changed the trend.... my guesses only.

Elandyll

Banned
Better not make this questions, NPD is private data.

We understood the point, forum rules will be respected.

Sure.
Seems to me you misunderstood the first time around (and edited your post in hindsight), but indeed I think the idea is clear.

It's good to have Aqua back either way.

allan-bh

I still believe PS4 will take November NPD.

I will be surprised if otherwise happened... it is not the Xbone time to win the NPD yet.

I think Xbox One or PS4 win will not be surprise at this point. Xbox One sold more in first two weeks and PS4 probably will sell more on Black Friday.

The surprise will be a winner much ahead of the other.

ethomaz

Banned
I think Xbox One or PS4 win will not be surprise at this point. Xbox One sell more in first two weeks and PS4 probably will sell more on Black Friday.

I don't expect big difference too... more in line with last years numbers... the difference was below 50k if I remember.

Damnit - did I miss some important data?
This is GAF... you can't sleep any minute :p

I think Xbox One or PS4 win will not be surprise at this point. Xbox One sell more in first two weeks and PS4 probably will sell more on Black Friday.

I don't know. A lot of people will be in for a rude awakening if the numbers are close judging by some of the posts I've seen on GAF recently.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm fairly sure we're not going to see "normal" levels until January since this week had high profile releases and next week will be the start of the holiday shopping season.

Exactly but what adds on to that is that fact there's multiple SKUs that are seemingly doing better than where the XB1 was before the Holiday rush too (on Amazon).

As I said before, I think some are putting a bit too much focus on just the SKU that's the highest on Amazon and comparing it to the competitor's highest SKU instead of looking at all of them.

allan-bh

I don't know. A lot of people will be in for a rude awakening if the numbers are close judging by some of the posts I've seen on GAF recently.

People are expecting a win for Xbox One after price cut and Microsoft press release. If PS4 wins, even for 1k, people will go crazy.

People are expecting a win for Xbox One after price cut and Microsoft press release. If PS4 wins, even for 1k, people will go crazy.

Microsoft did a similar week over week increase PR release after the Titanfall bundle, IIRC. PS4 still won March.

Don't be so quick with the Amazon musings as PS4 is falling and X1 rising again. Weird shit lol.

Just look at the November rankings.

Unity bundle w/o Kinect: 7th. PS4: 15th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-11/videogames

Welfare

I think Xbox One or PS4 win will not be surprise at this point. Xbox One sold more in first two weeks and PS4 probably will sell more on Black Friday.

I'm starting to lean more towards the PS4 winning, but not by much. I think the gap will only increase by less than 50k over November+December.

Toki767

Well even if Microsoft won by 100K, people will go crazy about saying how they're really about to turn things around when the overall picture would still paint them about a million units behind in the US and far more worldwide.

No matter what happens, people are going to go crazy. It should be pretty glorious.

ethomaz

Banned
Don't be so quick with the Amazon musings as PS4 is falling and X1 rising again. Weird shit lol.
We need to wait the weekly ranking but both main SKU shows UP arrow... so they are rising with PS4 6 positions ahead.

Destiny bundle is the 3rd SKU in the ranking right now... rising too... #23.

Just look at the November rankings.

Unity bundle w/o Kinect: 7th. PS4: 15th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-11/videogames
This ranking don't have updates of this week yet... well it is at Nov 10th yet.

Top Bottom